PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Mercy at lvl 3 and Divine Defender Alternate class option

Griffin
2011-05-20, 03:44 PM
Following with an idea I have been thinking and started using last week (An all out defense paladin), I was going to take the Divine Defender Alternate class option, however I found that this replace the mercy, however what I do not understand is, if it replaces only the 3rd level mercy or, if it replace mercy of all levels, ¿can someone please clarify?

And while thinking on that and the posibilities, lets say that I didn't take the alternate class option, the divine bond that a paladin gains at level 5 with his/her weapon, can be applied to a shield?

Griffin
2011-05-21, 03:47 PM
no, one really?

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-05-21, 06:01 PM
Generally speaking, if an alternate class feature replaces something and gives no mention of still keeping the original feature, then it replaces it for good. I don't have the text on hand here, but that's the usual trend.

Cog
2011-05-21, 06:11 PM
Yes, it replaces the entire Mercy ability. Notice that the Shared Defense ability that replaces it scales with level, so you're not just trading future ability for a momentary gain.

Griffin
2011-05-21, 08:40 PM
thanka, anybody has anything about the shield?

Cog
2011-05-21, 10:56 PM
By my reading, you could apply it to the shield bash, getting enhancement or equivalents to your attack. It definitely wouldn't make the shield's defense any better.

Griffin
2011-05-24, 03:45 PM
Thanks a lot fellas