PDA

View Full Version : Magic abilities on natural weapons?

kardar233
2011-05-20, 05:34 PM
In order to torment my DM more, I was looking at a Masochist/King of Smack build, and I realized that the Body/Mindfeeder weapon abilities would work really well on a Masochist, but I don't know of a way to get them on his natural weapons. Is there some kind of claw-enhancing weapon-type-thing that I could enchant for this?

Moriato
2011-05-20, 05:48 PM
In 3.0 there was the Necklace of Natural Attacks (from Masters of the Wild, I believe) that did exactly this, let you add enhancement bonuses and special weapon abilities to your natural attacks.

In 3.5 there's the Amulet of Mighty Fists which gives you an enhancement bonus, but does not have a clause about special abilities one way or the other. It's also RIDICULOUSLY expensive.

Your best bet is to see if your DM will let you use the 3.0 necklace, or make a custom set of gloves or bracers or some such thing.

Conkea
2011-05-20, 05:48 PM
I'm quite the D&D newbie (only played a PF campaign that lasted longer than 3 sessions) but Pathfinder has the Amulet of the Mighty Fists, which you can put weapon enhancements on. Not sure if it's in 3.5 also, but i guess it should be.

ninja'd by a more reliable person.

tyckspoon
2011-05-20, 06:03 PM
In 3.0 there was the Necklace of Natural Attacks (from Masters of the Wild, I believe) that did exactly this, let you add enhancement bonuses and special weapon abilities to your natural attacks.

Savage Species. It was also reprinted in one of the Fight Club articles on the website, which makes it tenuously 3.5-updated (I say tenuously because it's still noted as being sourced from Savage Species, which is one of those weird in-between books itself.)

Greenish
2011-05-20, 06:12 PM

In 3.5 there's the Amulet of Mighty Fists which gives you an enhancement bonus, but does not have a clause about special abilities one way or the other. It's also RIDICULOUSLY expensive.

Your best bet is to see if your DM will let you use the 3.0 necklace, or make a custom set of gloves or bracers or some such thing.Well, the Necklace is (about) the same cost as enchanting an equal number of manufactured weapons. That is to say, if you want to enchant a pair of claws, it costs the same as two manufactured weapons, and so forth.

The Amulet has a fixed cost and works on all natural weapons, so if you're bristling with them, the Amulet might be cheaper.

Cog
2011-05-20, 06:15 PM
Specifically, the amulet is six three times the cost of an individual weapon enhancement.

Moriato
2011-05-20, 06:18 PM
The Amulet has a fixed cost and works on all natural weapons, so if you're bristling with them, the Amulet might be cheaper.

True, I think the pricing is on the assumption of 3 natural weapons. Ironically making the Amulet of Natural Attacks (Or was it Natural Weapons? Whatever) better for the Monk, while the Amulet of Mighty Fists is likely to be better for animals and such who have 3 or more natural weapons. The only problem is that necklace specifically allows special properties, while the amulet is silent on the subject, so he'll need the DM to rule on it.

Divide by Zero
2011-05-20, 06:18 PM
Specifically, the amulet is six times the cost of an individual weapon enhancement.

Isn't it only three times? SRD lists it as 6k/24k/54k/96k/150k. That's still a bad deal, though, since you need at least four natural weapons and to not care about special enhancements for it to be worth it.

Marnath
2011-05-20, 06:24 PM
Well, the Necklace is (about) the same cost as enchanting an equal number of manufactured weapons. That is to say, if you want to enchant a pair of claws, it costs the same as two manufactured weapons, and so forth.

Are you sure? I could have sworn it was priced by type of weapon, not number.:smallconfused:

Cog
2011-05-20, 06:28 PM
Isn't it only three times? SRD lists it as 6k/24k/54k/96k/150k. That's still a bad deal, though, since you need at least four natural weapons and to not care about special enhancements for it to be worth it.
I edited it before you posted. Doesn't count! :smalltongue:

Greenish
2011-05-20, 06:32 PM
Are you sure? I could have sworn it was priced by type of weapon, not number.:smallconfused:I checked, and it never mentions type (beyond natural weapons, of course), and the price is based on the number of natural weapons it affects, the examples being one and six.

Marnath
2011-05-20, 06:38 PM
I checked, and it never mentions type (beyond natural weapons, of course), and the price is based on the number of natural weapons it affects, the examples being one and six.

But is that claw/claw/bite/wing/wing/tail or claw/bite/wing/tail/slam/etc. ?

Greenish
2011-05-20, 06:46 PM
But is that claw/claw/bite/wing/wing/tail or claw/bite/wing/tail/slam/etc. ?I'm not sure whether a pair of natural weapons counts as one natural weapon or two, but I'm inclined to think the latter.

The necklace is here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20060707a), by the way.

Moriato
2011-05-21, 01:18 PM
I'm not sure whether a pair of natural weapons counts as one natural weapon or two, but I'm inclined to think the latter.

The necklace is here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20060707a), by the way.

I think that, since you don't get iterative attacks with natural weapons, that each claw would be a separate weapon, yeah.

Hmm... I find the example they gave for the necklace of natural attacks very interesting:

Necklace of Natural Attacks (from Savage Species): The enhancement bonus on this necklace is applied to attack and damage rolls involving one or more of the wearer's natural weapons. In addition, any weapon special quality applied to this necklace also applies to those natural weapons. For instance, a +1 throwing returning necklace of natural weapons would apply its enhancement bonus as well as the throwing and returning special abilities to one or more of the wearer's natural weapons.

Player: I take a 5 foot step and THROW MY BITE AT HIM
DM: You... wait, what?!

Ravens_cry
2011-05-21, 01:25 PM
Yeah, you can be Dhalsim in D&D.
The weird part is if you don't get the returning attribute.

Kylarra
2011-05-21, 01:30 PM
I always found the hideaway property to be amusing, especially on a monk.