PDA

View Full Version : Help Help I'm being possessed!

veven
2011-05-20, 08:01 PM
So, in an E6 campaign, my Dragonborn crusader has successfully been possessed by a shadow demon. What the heck can I do about it. Don't see us trotting down into the abyss to kill this thing's body.

druid91
2011-05-20, 08:04 PM
So, in an E6 campaign, my Dragonborn crusader has successfully been possessed by a shadow demon. What the heck can I do about it. Don't see us trotting down into the abyss to kill this thing's body.

Hmmm? But demons souls are their body.

And the solution is to bath in holy water each day.

Madcrafter
2011-05-20, 08:08 PM
Not being in eberron, Dismissal would be the standard method, possibly Dispel Evil as well, but those are a little out of the power range of an E6 game. I would discuss some sort of ritualistic exorcism rules with the DM, like the bathing in holy water example, or go find a sacred exorcist from CD.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-20, 08:09 PM
Hmmm? But demons souls are their body.

And the solution is to bath in holy water each day.

Ooh! Just get a bunch of holy water and splash it on yourself.

Ranos
2011-05-20, 08:19 PM
Exorcising the thing is a bit out of the range of an E6 game. The required spells are too high levels, and classes like the sacred exorcist are not available either. There is the Exorcism domain from the Eberron campaign setting, but good luck finding an NPC who has that.

On the other hand, while you can't force the demon out of your body, you could possibly seal him inside. If you know someone with Craft Wondrous item, you could commission an item of permanent protection against evil. As long as you have the device on you, the demon is trapped in your body and unable to act. The moment someone takes the thing from you though, expect it to raise hell.

veven
2011-05-21, 03:32 AM
On the other hand, while you can't force the demon out of your body, you could possibly seal him inside. If you know someone with Craft Wondrous item, you could commission an item of permanent protection against evil. As long as you have the device on you, the demon is trapped in your body and unable to act. The moment someone takes the thing from you though, expect it to raise hell.

While this would be the single most awesome thing ever, I think protection from evil only prevents the possession in the first place. I could be wrong, but that's how I read it.

Greenish
2011-05-21, 05:28 AM
While this would be the single most awesome thing ever, I think protection from evil only prevents the possession in the first place. I could be wrong, but that's how I read it.It doesn't prevent the possession, it just suppresses it.

Second, the barrier blocks any attempt to possess the warded creature (by a magic jar attack, for example) or to exercise mental control over the creature (including enchantment (charm) effects and enchantment (compulsion) effects that grant the caster ongoing control over the subject, such as dominate person). The protection does not prevent such effects from targeting the protected creature, but it suppresses the effect for the duration of the protection from evil effect.

veven
2011-05-21, 12:37 PM
The only mention of Protection from Evil in the description of possession in the BoVD says, "A Protection from Evil spell (or similar effect) makes a creature immune to possession attempts."

Ranos
2011-05-21, 12:50 PM
The only mention of Protection from Evil in the description of possession in the BoVD says, "A Protection from Evil spell (or similar effect) makes a creature immune to possession attempts."

Well, I can get a bit confused with all that source priority business, but even if BoVD rules are higher in priority than SRD rules, this doesn't mean the SRD rules for Protection from evil are entirely overwritten.

The SRD says that Protection from evil suppresses possession effects, and that's still true. The BoVD also says that it actually prevents the effect, contradicting the SRD. If the BoVD has priority, this now means the spell both prevents and suppresses the effect.

So yes, in either case, you can still suppress possession with protection from evil :smallsmile:

Forged Fury
2011-05-21, 01:40 PM
Second, the barrier blocks any attempt to possess the warded creature (by a magic jar attack, for example) or to exercise mental control over the creature (including enchantment (charm) effects and enchantment (compulsion) effects that grant the caster ongoing control over the subject, such as dominate person). The protection does not prevent such effects from targeting the protected creature, but it suppresses the effect for the duration of the protection from evil effect.
I've always read that the bolded text is supposed to apply to the "second" protection provided against exercising mental control over the creature, such as (charm) and (compulsion) effects.

I only say this because Protection from Evil further states:

Likewise, the barrier keeps out a possessing life force but does not expel one if it is in place before the spell is cast.
To me, "keeping out a possessing life force" precludes possession by definition. Additionally, the spell Magic Jar (the spell indicated in the possession discussion of Protection from Evil) states:

It is blocked by protection from evil or a similar ward.
Granted, "block" doesn't seem to be a D&D game term, but common english would use it as a synonym for stop or prevent.

Anyway, just the way I see it.

myancey
2011-05-21, 03:08 PM
I'd say you should just go along for the ride. But if you're determined...I'd go with the holy water bath idea. And maybe gargle with it some too.

Ravens_cry
2011-05-21, 03:20 PM
I'd say you should just go along for the ride. But if you're determined...I'd go with the holy water bath idea. And maybe gargle with it some too.
And a Holy Water enema for good measure.:smalltongue:
*tangent*
Holy Water Enema would make a good name for a band.

Greenish
2011-05-21, 03:24 PM
*tangent*
Holy Water Enema would make a good name for a band.Please, some of us are eating chocolate cake.

myancey
2011-05-21, 03:33 PM
*tangent*
Holy Water Enema would make a good name for a band.

That would be a great name for a band. Either new age like Yanni or Heavy Metal like Dragonforce (they're heavy metal, right?).

Please, some of us are eating chocolate cake.

Please! Some of us are diabetic. :smallbiggrin:

veven
2011-05-22, 12:41 AM
Well I'm in the middle of building a temple and a small fortress so there is a bunch of followers around working on that. I wouldn't want to kill them or anything so I feel like "going along for the ride" is out haha. Although, the demon that possessed me serves Graz'zt and our party has been slowly eliminating a cult of Orcus on the continent so so far he has been pretty content to sit back and only take control when we are fighting cultists. If he feels we are wasting time he tends to nudge me in the direction of more cultist killing. My very good and moderately lawful crusader is pretty tired of it.