PDA

View Full Version : Would a Clown make a good Bard?

Sims
2011-05-20, 11:06 PM
Just a question haha! I'm not gonna be playing an evil clown, but definately want a chaotic nature. (So to annoy the groups Monk).

Its a mid level campaign since we'll be starting at level 10-13.

I could see him being a Wizard too. It just sort of fits. If only this were Gestalt. >________>

I don't think he'd be a fighter hahaha it'd be funny to watch. I might dip into rogue for some Sneak Attack.

Ravens_cry
2011-05-20, 11:19 PM
Are you trying to annoy the Monk or the Monks player?
An important distinction. In the former, you are engaging some role play. No hard feelings, just adding a little drama and can be quite welcome if done right, especially if the all the players are in on it.
The latter however is merely being an ass, and I don't mean a donkey. Purposely antagonizing another player violates the most important rule of the game, we are here to have fun and antagonizing another player reduces their fun.
As for the idea of a bard being a clown, sure, why not? If your DM is fairly liberal with what is considered a performance, it's easy. Still, it might not work in some games, having a clown running around a dungeon might not fit well into a more serious games tone.
Ask your DM if Clown™ is right for you.

Geigan
2011-05-20, 11:21 PM
Performance really fits with the whole entertainer thing of a clown, so yeah I suppose it would. There is actually a jester class in the dragon magazine compendium if you're looking for other build ideas. Decent spell list, spontaneous caster, and perform(comedy) is used as apart of a class feature, pretty awesome all around.

Zonugal
2011-05-20, 11:22 PM
There is always the Divine Prankster from Races of Stone...

faceroll
2011-05-20, 11:40 PM
Are you trying to annoy the Monk or the Monks player?
An important distinction. In the former, you are engaging some role play. No hard feelings, just adding a little drama and can be quite welcome if done right, especially if the all the players are in on it.
The latter however is merely being an ass, and I don't mean a donkey. Purposely antagonizing another player violates the most important rule of the game, we are here to have fun and antagonizing another player reduces their fun.
As for the idea of a bard being a clown, sure, why not? If your DM is fairly liberal with what is considered a performance, it's easy. Still, it might not work in some games, having a clown running around a dungeon might not fit well into a more serious games tone.
Ask your DM if Clown™ is right for you.

Thanks for the lecture, dad.

Ravens_cry
2011-05-21, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the lecture, dad.
You're welcome, son.:smalltongue:
But seriously, player conflict can destroy games; that's why I take it seriously.

stainboy
2011-05-21, 12:47 AM
There's a Jester class in the Dragon Magazine Compendium. It's statted like a bard with a bunch of substitutions for bardic music. Might be worth a look.

ffone
2011-05-21, 03:07 PM
Joker Bard will be mentioned a/o linked.

Jjeinn-tae
2011-05-21, 04:10 PM
Joker Bard will be mentioned a/o linked.

Fine then, here you go. The Joker (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5496158#post5496158). :smallbiggrin:

More of an antagonist than a PC though.

Sims
2011-05-21, 04:52 PM
Jester idea sounds dope. I'll have a look at that.

Luckmann
2011-05-21, 04:53 PM
Remember to take Weapon Focus [Pies]. :smallcool:

You're welcome, son.:smalltongue:
But seriously, player conflict can destroy games; that's why I take it seriously.Maybe if you took it less seriously, it would be less of a problem? I've found that often, the fear of conflict tends to be a bigger issue than a conflict itself. :smallbiggrin:

Dr.Epic
2011-05-21, 04:54 PM
So long as you do magic tricks with a pencil (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpSoEIN18WI), it can work.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-05-21, 07:14 PM
Remember to take Weapon Focus [Pies]. :smallcool:
Maybe if you took it less seriously, it would be less of a problem? I've found that often, the fear of conflict tends to be a bigger issue than a conflict itself. :smallbiggrin:

To be fair, I take most things I find fun seriously, so I see why he does that. I mean, yeah, most of the time, when you game, you're with good friends creating an interactive story. Sometimes you may not get along with each other, but there is no reason to purposefully annoy another person for shiggles and gits.

That said, annoying a character in the game, well, that can be loads of fun, as long as everyone is on board! No sense creating hurt feelings and all.

Serpentine
2011-05-22, 07:31 AM
Tumble, Slight of Hand, Bluff, Perform (slapstick) (possibly synergising with Tumble), use of thrown weapons, use a Bottle of Water (or whatever it's called) to great effect. High Dex, probably high Charisma. Taunt.
Sounds pretty good to me.

edit: Oh, and a Carriage of Holding.