PDA

View Full Version : Crazy theory about Nale and Sabine (speculo-spoilers)

Morgan Wick
2011-05-21, 12:30 AM
I have a crazy theory about where Nale and Sabine are:

They're nowhere near Bleedingham.

While Thog and their other new Guild members keep the OOTS tied up and potentially weakened in the Empire of Blood, Nale and Sabine are either busy looking for the Gate or have already found it and are just waiting for Xykon to show up.

For all the theorizing about Tarquin being Nale and Sabine at the same time or whatever, I think this theory is scary plausible, backed up by 791, fits their plans as they were leaving Azure City, and fits the IFCC's modus operandi. Thoughts?

NerfTW
2011-05-21, 12:47 AM
Yeah, pretty much my theory too. Thog was left behind because trying to pass him off as a good guy to Girard would be too difficult. Zzdrti and Yuk-Yuk were either left to keep an eye on him or were sent when they received word of Elan being in the kingdom.

Most likely Nale and Sabine are with Girard, playing on his paranoia to attempt to gain control of the gate.

ThePhantasm
2011-05-21, 09:02 AM
Thinks makes sense in light of Thog's comment that he hasn't seen Nale in a long time.

Roland Itiative
2011-05-21, 10:41 AM
There's another reason to leave Z and the Kobold behind: when dealing with a paranoid person, one would not want to spark said paranoia by bringing people of "always Chaotic-Evil" races alongside :smalltongue: The lame excuse/lampshade hanging they used for Z back when he first appeared is unlikely to stick with Girard.

rolling 4
2011-05-21, 11:10 AM
they wouldnt know that he was paraniond that was information oots learned from going to the site of the fake gate.

NerfTW
2011-05-21, 12:21 PM
they wouldnt know that he was paraniond that was information oots learned from going to the site of the fake gate.

But they'd probably figure it out pretty quickly. The paranoia probably isn't why they left the others behind, it's that Girard is a good guy, and not a beginning adventurer like the Order was, so he's not going to fall for the "Oh, all those evil guys on our team are really good guys!" line like Roy did.

Kish
2011-05-21, 01:18 PM
Mm...Girard may or may not have any more points in Sense Motive than Roy does (that is, any more than 0). I wouldn't be surprised if he substitutes "assume they're lying if you can think of anything they could gain by lying" for Sense Motive, based on what we've seen about him.

Roland Itiative
2011-05-21, 05:10 PM
Mm...Girard may or may not have any more points in Sense Motive than Roy does (that is, any more than 0). I wouldn't be surprised if he substitutes "assume they're lying if you can think of anything they could gain by lying" for Sense Motive, based on what we've seen about him.

So, he took levels in Monk (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0406.html)? :smalltongue:

Kish
2011-05-21, 05:15 PM
The Chaotic equivalent thereof. :smalltongue:

FatJose
2011-05-21, 05:17 PM
Is Girard even still alive? It's been a long time, no?

rolling 4
2011-05-21, 05:37 PM
60 years but remeber durokon was alive up to a few months before oots came out.

BlackestOfMages
2011-05-21, 07:36 PM
yeah, so he was like 20-ish when they were adventuring, so I'd say he'd be eighty-ish

and since Shojo took improved paranoia, Giriad probably has Epic Paranoia out the wazoo

The Pilgrim
2011-05-21, 08:39 PM
There's another reason to leave Z and the Kobold behind: when dealing with a paranoid person, one would not want to spark said paranoia by bringing people of "always Chaotic-Evil" races alongside :smalltongue: The lame excuse/lampshade hanging they used for Z back when he first appeared is unlikely to stick with Girard.

So, you are suggesting that Girard would be paranoid to see a Kobold or Drow, but would not if he sees a Demon? (or Devil, or whatever)

(Girard, epic illusionist, not gonna be fooled by Sabine's disguises, you know)

Roland Itiative
2011-05-21, 08:47 PM
So, you are suggesting that Girard would be paranoid to see a Kobold or Drow, but would not if he sees a Demon? (or Devil, or whatever)

(Girard, epic illusionist, not gonna be fooled by Sabine's disguises, you know)

Well, Sabine's disguises are probably shapeshifting, and not illusions... Not that it makes them any harder to detect when you're Epic level, so you have a point anyway :smalltongue:

Gift Jeraff
2011-05-21, 10:08 PM
I've been fond of the idea ever since someone suggested it in the latest discussion thread, with the main problem being what The Pilgrim said. Here are some possible solutions for that:

-Girard may be the type that can be easily "persuaded" by a being of pure lust.
-Sabine is in Bleedingham, but Nale is still being manipulated by the IFCC through Durkon's latest counterpart or whatever.
-Given that Tarquin knows of Girard somehow, Nale may know some stuff about Girard. (i.e. Girard has abjuration barred so probably has no good protection against high-level Evil Outsiders, Girard is actually a sorcerer with mostly illusion spells, Sabine was actually a birthday present for Nale from Girard who is his grandfather,* etc.)
-Nale and Sabine are newly recruited underlings of Girard who haven't earned enough trust/rank to meet the top dog himself, but are with his goons who are not powerful enough to see through Sabine's shapeshifting.

Anyway, the Linear Guild being somehow allied with Girard might explain how Zz'dtri learned of Girard's spell being activated and knew to scry there in #698 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0698.html) (assuming that was Z and that he wasn't actually scrying on Mr. Scruffy).

*Not really serious about that, of course. :smallcool:

Morgan Wick
2011-05-21, 11:50 PM
I never said anything about Nale or Sabine working with Girard.

Perhaps they won't make their presence known, and instead wait for Xykon to have Girard on the ropes or even knocked out, then attack.

rolling 4
2011-05-22, 03:45 PM
The thing this whole thread is missing is why would bale all of a sudden be ok not killing his brother in some horrible way?

ThePhantasm
2011-05-22, 03:58 PM
bale

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h87/osiris32/batmansmiley.png: Where are they??

On another note, I'd just like to say this is the first "crazy theory" thread I've seen in a long time that doesn't contain an actually "crazy" theory. This theory is quite good.

King of Nowhere
2011-05-22, 04:25 PM
Still, i find it very unlikely, and i thing thog hasn't seen nale in a long time because, well, he'ws hbeen in jail for 34 weeks.
In fact, assuming Nale and sabine are away, why in the hell should the rest of the linear guild attack the oots, knowing they would be outnumbered? It's not like they were going to be discovered soon. And nale couldn't have knoen the oots was going to arrive until a few days earlier, so why should he have left his minions to intercept the oots?
Also, the ambush on V, haley and elan screams "nale" loud. Nale isn't as smart as he thinks, but he's VERY good at predicting people. We saw from his first appearence that just after spending half an hour with some guys, he can understand them well enough to manipulate them in doing what he wants. So, nale knew the ootsers would have been on the main balcony, and would have seen Thog, and he predicted they would go away to discuss, hence the ambush. This is a tipical nale plan, and he did it in the last two days because he didn't knew the oots was going to come earlier.
I think Nale is somewhere in the city, very close to the action, waiting for the moment to intervene according to his plan.

On a side note, when ambushed by nale, i think the best thing to do would be devising 6 different reactions to the situation, and then choose one by rolling a dice. Do it a couple of times, and at least you threw his plan off balance.