PDA

View Full Version : Deadlands Reloaded Rules Clarifications

linkzero84
2011-05-21, 01:24 AM
Hey guys, I'm currently, trying to start up a Deadlands reloaded game and I'm having a little bit of difficultly with dueling. When a character gets shaken what is their spirit roll against? It never gives a description of what the Target Number is to remove the shaken effect. And do they always have to make this roll? How do you kill someone in this game?

Otherworld Odd
2011-05-21, 01:28 AM
I'm one of the players in this game, also with a question. What's the point of duels in this game if the shot only makes the other opponent shaken and then it moves onto regular combat rounds?

BudgetDM
2011-05-21, 07:51 PM
Hey guys, I'm currently, trying to start up a Deadlands reloaded game and I'm having a little bit of difficultly with dueling. When a character gets shaken what is their spirit roll against? It never gives a description of what the Target Number is to remove the shaken effect. And do they always have to make this roll? How do you kill someone in this game?

Unless otherwise specified, the target number is 4.

How do you kill someone? Well, for every four points of damage over they take a wound. Assuming that they are a Wild Card, they have 3 wounds. When they would take the fourth they are incapacitated. They then have to roll a Vigor check and compare the results to the incapacitation table. This can lead to anything from instant death to a twisted ankle. Death or serious injury is most common however.

As to why duel when it can only make you and your opponent shaken? Um, no you and/or your opponent can be killed. Weapons even do extra damage.

linkzero84
2011-05-21, 07:56 PM
So a raise is if you beat it by four? What about Toughness? How does that work? When does it apply and how do you beat it with a raise?

Otherworld Odd
2011-05-21, 08:12 PM
Ah, I get it. I was under the impression that one shot could only shake the person. I didn't know the rule about raises dealing extra wounds.

1. Yes, you get a raise for every increment of four you get.
2. The damage that you roll has to go above the opponent's toughness and each increment of four you get an extra wound.
3. Explained in 2 ^ how it works.
4. Let's just lay it out like this.

I'm in a duel with a guy with a Toughness of 4. I get three hands higher than him in the poker match so I get an extra 3d6 of damage. When I shoot, I roll a 5, so I hit him. With my damage I roll my damage and get 16. That's shaken, and three increments of four above his toughness of 4, so that's three extra wounds.

If I rolled 20 damage, he would have to roll on the incapacitation table because he got a fourth wound as BudgetDM mentioned, possibly resulting in death or grievous injury.

BudgetDM
2011-05-21, 08:20 PM
Let's see if I can explain this better this time.

When damage it rolled, you total it and compare it to toughness. If it is less, then there is no in game effect. If it is equal or greater, they are shaken. In addition, for every raise(1) taken in damage they take a wound.

(1)Beating the Target Number by 4.

Edit: I believe ninja'd is the term.

Otherworld Odd
2011-05-21, 08:32 PM
Let's see if I can explain this better this time.

When damage it rolled, you total it and compare it to toughness. If it is less, then there is no in game effect. If it is equal or greater, they are shaken. In addition, for every raise(1) taken in damage they take a wound.

(1)Beating the Target Number by 4.

Edit: I believe ninja'd is the term.

So I've got it right then? Woot!

linkzero84
2011-05-21, 08:51 PM
Ah. ^^ I am enlightened. Thank you. Ok, so I'm gonna really study the rules and start putting together a campaign. I'm going to be using the Devil's Tower Trilogy. I'll let everyone know when it's ready. Until then we can just play around with characters.

Jude_H
2011-05-21, 09:33 PM
I'm going to be using the Devil's Tower Trilogy.In Reloaded?
If you don't mind my asking, could you share the conversion?
I've been curious about finding one for a while.

linkzero84
2011-05-22, 04:13 AM
I haven't actually looked for it yet. Are you saying their isn't one?

Jude_H
2011-05-22, 01:41 PM
I haven't actually looked for it yet. Are you saying their isn't one?
I don't know of an official one, but I keep hearing good enough things about the series that I'm sure someone has converted the thing. I haven't found a conversion yet, but the only work I've done looking for one is a couple quick Google searches and a bit of light browsing.

Savage Worlds characters aren't too much of a pain to write up, so restatting the characters probably isn't going to ruin your game, but it might be a bit of extra homework. I use a spreadsheet to do most of the heavy lifting in character creation. I don't know if that'd be useful to you, but I threw it into Google docs here (https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BwfSgFvaojjfOWU1Njg1NDEtNzU0ZC00OGM2LTlkZ GMtYjFjMzA4YjMyN2Qz&hl=en_US) if you're interested (you'd need to download it into excel to use it). It's not for Deadlands specifically & it's not completely finished, but it helps me sketch up SW NPCs pretty quickly. I'm going to spoiler some quick instructions:

Generally to use it, fill in the lightest-colored cells of a color & leave the other ones alone.
The "Points" columns are based on a character's build points & take numerical entries.
The "Level" column on the Hindrances section takes the words "major" and "minor."
The "Weight" column for equipment takes numerical entries, in lbs.
For every 5 experience points, the spreadsheet gives 2 skills, 1 ability boost and an edge; a character can only actually select one of those per 5 ranks. It's mostly up to the user to keep track. That means it's usually easiest to start with a Novice character and add experience afterward, keeping tallies of what's been spent.

Otherworld Odd
2011-05-23, 04:51 PM
True, I doubt it would be too hard to redo it from Deadlands to Deadlands Reloaded.

But on an offnote, are there any modules or adventures that are specifically meant for Deadlands Reloaded? I haven't looked much but I'm sure there have to be some out there.

Otherworld Odd
2011-05-23, 09:14 PM
On further investigation, it seems the majority of the adventures are merely one-page "one-shot" adventures.

Jude_H
2011-05-23, 10:14 PM
I haven't really used the Reloaded adventures and I haven't found any deep reviews, but I think they're supposed to be made of short one-offs that tie together into a full campaign arc.

Most of the official conversions of original Deadlands are pretty fast and easy, liberally applying stock character stats, except for especially plot-relevant NPCs (moreso than just being Wild Cards). Looking at those, I was probably overthinking/overstating the edition dilemma.

BudgetDM
2011-05-24, 02:36 AM
There are (http://www.studio2publishing.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25_74_121&products_id=3353) some (http://www.studio2publishing.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25_74_121&products_id=2839) longer (http://www.studio2publishing.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25_74_121&products_id=2507) adventures (http://www.studio2publishing.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25_74_121&products_id=2825).

Mostly what they sell now are combination location supplements and adventure paths. Currently, they have Mexico (http://www.studio2publishing.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25_74_121&products_id=3238), The Pacific Northwest (http://www.studio2publishing.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25_74_121&products_id=3357), and a big on for California (http://www.studio2publishing.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25_74_121&products_id=2739).

linkzero84
2011-05-24, 04:55 PM
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Sorry I haven't been online lately. It wouldn't be too hard to convert. I think I'll just lift the Devil's tower story and build it Savage worlds style. Thanks for the Spread sheet I will definitely look into that. Where can I find these location based things for reloaded?

linkzero84
2011-05-24, 04:57 PM
Nvm on that last question, I didn't notice it was linked.:smallbiggrin:

Otherworld Odd
2011-05-24, 06:28 PM
Those adventure links you posted are pretty cool looking and beautiful cover art at that. Definitely better than what they have in the Reloaded books. Have you tested any of them?

BudgetDM
2011-05-24, 09:53 PM
Alas, my group collapsed before I could finish The Flood[1]. We were all having fun with it thought. I'm especially sad because I was looking forward to seeing my players faces when they got to the ending.

HUGH SPOILERS HEREThe PCs are that the epicenter of the the titular flood, a wave for biblical proportions. They have managed to defeat the BBEG but don't have time to run away. The book tells you to describe their characters drowning in the tide wave, then close the book and congratulate them on a campaign well done. Your supposed to let it sink in that their characters died for just a minute, then act like you just remembered something, and read the rest of the flavor text, which reveals that the characters did survive.

Just a warning thought, resource management is a big deal in California and the Great Northwest.

[1](California)