PDA

View Full Version : "Cleric spell access"

danzibr
2011-05-21, 10:15 AM
I was reading Rainbow Servant from CD and saw their capstone ability, Cleric spell access. This seems totally awesome. They gain tons and tons of spells from this. Anyone know of other PrC's with similar features? Like more Cleric spell access or Druid spell access or the like.

On a side note, I never would've glanced at this class due to the 6/10 casting though it's supposed to be 10/10. Similarly for Sacred Fist (but I would've gone Sacred Fist even with 8/10 'cause they're awesome).

HalfDragonCube
2011-05-21, 10:26 AM
Just to check, you do realise that the cleric spells are only added to your spell list? That is why it is only recommended for classes that cast spontaneously off their entire list, like warmages and beguilers.

Otherwise, the class is kind of meh.

Jack_Simth
2011-05-21, 10:26 AM
On a side note, I never would've glanced at this class due to the 6/10 casting though it's supposed to be 10/10.
Sort-of. Under the errata, text-trumps-table, and it is officially 10/10 casting.

However, that's clearly not the intent, as every summary listing everywhere else puts it at as a partial casting PrC. Complete Divine was... not edited well.

Also note that the capstone goes better on a Warmage, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, or similar list caster than it does on a Wizard, Sorcerer, or other caster where you select spells known, due to the wording of the capstone simply putting them on your class list, rather than your known list.

But no, I don't really know of many others... although you might look up the Recaster.

Cruiser1
2011-05-21, 02:03 PM
However, that's clearly not the intent, as every summary listing everywhere else puts it at as a partial casting PrC. Complete Divine was... not edited well.The Portuguese translation of Complete Divine shows the class as 10/10 casting in the table as well. That lends support to the position that Rainbow Servant was actually intended to be 10/10. For additional arguments on both sides of this debate as well as analysis of the Prestige Class, see this thread: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5213.0

erikun
2011-05-21, 03:50 PM
All of the Prestigious Character classes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm) add their respective spell lists to the spell list of the character entering them, even for only one level. Note that two are divine and one is arcane, making it a bit difficult for one character to enter all three. I believe they are located in the Unearthed Arcana book.

The Frost Mage PrC, from Frostburn, adds several of the Ice Beast spells to the caster's known spells, explicitly allowing a Sorcerer to go over their regular number of known spells each level. I'm not sure how that would by-RAW interact if you were trying to build a Warmage/Frost Mage, though.

Greenish
2011-05-21, 04:44 PM
Just to check, you do realise that the cleric spells are only added to your spell list? That is why it is only recommended for classes that cast spontaneously off their entire list, like warmages and beguilers.Eh, you're getting a whole bunch of spells you wouldn't otherwise have access, some of them divine so you can DMM them if you wish (and have TU). Might make an interesting gish at higher levels.

Cog
2011-05-21, 05:40 PM
All of the Prestigious Character classes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm) add their respective spell lists to the spell list of the character entering them, even for only one level.
Keep in mind that you only get core spells automatically - anything from the splats or Compendium you'll have to negotiate for.