PDA

View Full Version : Defend My Party [pathfinder]

TheThan
2011-05-21, 01:11 PM
Alright so I’m playing a paladin in a pathfinder game. As of right now I’m the only real melee fighter in the party so it has fallen unto me to build my character in such a way as to provide some defensive capacity to the group.

The DM has given us access to a lot of 3.5 material (case by case but still) and we have access to the pathfinder core book and the advanced player’s guide, as well as a handful of online pdfs (we have a magus and a rogue/magus in the party). But I really don’t know pathfinder that much. I’m working towards shock trooper, it should be the next feat I pick up. I’d like to point out that the average AC of the enemies we’ve been fighting is 23, and we’re only level 5, so PA by itself is not really cutting it.

Anyway after I pick up shock trooper I plan on getting some defensive abilities, and that’s where I’d like some advice on options, available feats, and general build suggestions.

DownwardSpiral
2011-05-21, 01:19 PM
Improved Trip and Stand still with a reach weapon is the usual option. Since you said your DM will allow most 3.5 material as well, it shouldn't be a problem.

OverdrivePrime
2011-05-21, 02:05 PM
Are you planning on playing a straight-up paladin, or could you multiclass to something like Knight at some point?

You need to have some means of making sure you're the primary target, and not your squishy friends.

myancey
2011-05-21, 03:10 PM
Improved Trip and Stand still with a reach weapon is the usual option. Since you said your DM will allow most 3.5 material as well, it shouldn't be a problem.

Nice. I made a character with those and it created a pretty awesome combo. Also, find ways to increase your size (enlarge person, etc.) If you're going reach weapon--remember the feat shorten grip. You can attack in squares adjacent to you then, but with a -2 attack.

jmelesky
2011-05-21, 04:20 PM

Stand Still is just for adjacent squares, not threatened, so i'm not sure what the reach weapon is for.

myancey
2011-05-21, 04:56 PM
Stand Still is just for adjacent squares, not threatened, so i'm not sure what the reach weapon is for.

The stand still I'm looking at says:

When a foe's movement out of a square you threaten grants you an attack of opportunity, you can give up that attack and instead attempt to stop your foe in his tracks.

So...it works in more than just adjacent squares.

That's from:

http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featbox.pl?feat=Stand_Still

jmelesky
2011-05-21, 08:42 PM
The stand still I'm looking at says

In PF (available here) (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/stand-still-combat---final), it's:

When a foe provokes an attack of opportunity due to moving through your adjacent squares, you can make a combat maneuver check as your attack of opportunity.

myancey
2011-05-21, 08:50 PM
In PF (available here) (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/stand-still-combat---final), it's:

Touché, sir.

Lateral
2011-05-21, 09:09 PM
And the PF version of Improved Trip has been slightly nerfed. Instead, I might try some sort of Knockback build, to send your enemies flying like pinballs. Or an intimidator.