PDA

View Full Version : Epic Spell Development Challenge

amazinghat
2011-05-21, 02:41 PM
How would one develop the following spells?

1. A spell that allows the user to sit in a library and passively absorb all the information from the surrounding books.
2. A spell that determines distance of filial relationships without relying on a subject's memories.
3. A spell that allows stone to behave as a viscous fluid for a short amount of time.
4. A spell that creates a strong field of gravity centered at a specific point that the caster can move; doesn't affect the caster or his/her allies.
5. A spell that reduces the age of the subject, but permits further aging.
6. A spell that synchronizes two instruments permanently so when one is played, the other is also played.
7. A spell that reverses the direction of aging permanently, a la Benjamin Button.

(No cheeses. Spellcraft DC check has no maximum.)

Cipher Stars
2011-05-21, 02:45 PM
Some of these wouldn't really be Epic spells.

Spellcasters can develop non-epic spells ya know. at least, thats What I've always done.

amazinghat
2011-05-21, 02:46 PM
I'm an ******* who doesn't permit regular spell development in my games, because I don't have the book of rules for that.

So...

Cipher Stars
2011-05-21, 02:52 PM
Basically just use existing spells as guidelines for how powerful a spell of a certain spell level should be. There are no hard and fast rules, which is why it's much much less horrible than the epic spell rules.

But I'll give these a try, as Epic Spells. Or I can try to make them as Non-Epic spells for the ones that aren't really worth having to wait till level 21.

Jack_Simth
2011-05-21, 03:11 PM
I'm an ******* who doesn't permit regular spell development in my games, because I don't have the book of rules for that.

So...

You don't have the DMG & PHB? Such rules as there are will be found there.

Most of the things you want, though, require ad-hock DC's.

Zaq
2011-05-21, 03:36 PM
How would one develop the following spells?

1. A spell that allows the user to sit in a library and passively absorb all the information from the surrounding books.
2. A spell that determines distance of filial relationships without relying on a subject's memories.
3. A spell that allows stone to behave as a viscous fluid for a short amount of time.
4. A spell that creates a strong field of gravity centered at a specific point that the caster can move; doesn't affect the caster or his/her allies.
5. A spell that reduces the age of the subject, but permits further aging.
6. A spell that synchronizes two instruments permanently so when one is played, the other is also played.
7. A spell that reverses the direction of aging permanently, a la Benjamin Button.

(No cheeses. Spellcraft DC check has no maximum.)

1) The 1st-level spell Scholar's Touch (Races of Destiny) lets you read 1 book per CL by touching it (as a standard action). And that's just 1st level.

2) I'm not sure what that means. You want to research the subject's lineage without them knowing?

3) Permanent version. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/transmuteRockToMud.htm) (Off switch. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/transmuteMudToRock.htm))

4) Heavy Earth (3rd level psionic power) kind of does this. "Strong gravity" is a very squishy term. What do you want it to do, exactly? There's probably a spell that does something similar already.

5) It's not what you're after, but Reincarnate kinda does this. Mucking around with age-related stuff generally isn't in 3.5, though. That said, BoVD says that the 3rd level spell Bestow Curse can (permanently, until broken) unnaturally age a subject to the next age category, so that's a guideline.

6) Huh. Reminds me of FF4. Anyway, Ghostharp (SpC) is a cantrip that lets an instrument "hear" and play back a song, including one that was played sometime in the past day, whether the caster was there or not. It definitely wouldn't take until epic to get a better version of this.

7) You're probably on your own for that one.

Cipher Stars
2011-05-21, 03:56 PM
2) I'm not sure what that means. You want to research the subject's lineage without them knowing?

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Detect_Parentage_%283.5e_Spell%29

Sims
2011-05-21, 04:02 PM
Developing Non-Epic spells is news to me! Haha amazing! Absolutely incredible! I'm not being sarcastic, this has opened many doors for me and my group AND my campagn ideas!

dragonsamurai77
2011-05-21, 04:06 PM
For #7: It's only a 5% chance, but Flux Slime (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/obstacles.htm#fluxSlime) can do that, and most of the other effects can be easily Dispelled.

Lateral
2011-05-21, 04:17 PM
Developing Non-Epic spells is news to me! Haha amazing! Absolutely incredible! I'm not being sarcastic, this has opened many doors for me and my group AND my campagn ideas!

Don't go nuts. Unlike epic spells, these are DM-granted.