PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] How to kill with a strongly worded letter (An attempt at a base class)

npc revolution
2011-05-21, 04:40 PM
The Writer [3.5 class]
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_aH4Q4u-jJBU/TR75ZRyJjqI/AAAAAAAAAjw/FkYNQrGIbXk/s1600/writer.jpg

They say that a good writer can shape your reaction to their text. But what about a truly great writer? Can he control you from that moment onwards?

That's what I'm currently exploring, whether I can make a class that uses this magic of psychology to control NPC's actions. The problem is I have no idea how to make a class :smalleek: . That's where you nice people come in!

My basic idea is that the PC spends an hour per level of effect writing his text specifically for the person he has in mind. Then, when the person reads it, they have a will save, or else they're under a mind control for however long.

What do we think? Feasible? Maybe just as a prestige class due to poor combat capabilities? I don't know these things. As a final point I was thinking about a Death Note style Write-to-kill ability for 20th level.

{table] Level | Base Attack Bonus |Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save| Special
1|+0|+0|+0|+2|Convincing Style
2|+1|+0|+0|+3|
3|+2|+0|+0|+3|
4|+3|+1|+1|+4|
5|+3|+1|+1|+4|
[/table]

Convincing Style: The Writer may spend an hour writing a piece of prose with a particular NPC in mind. The Writer designates an effect, such as surprise or fear. If the intended reader reads the prose, he or she must make a will save (DC 15) or be taken in by the effect.

This is a language dependant, extraordinary effect.

chrisrawr
2011-05-21, 04:56 PM
Perhaps look at the Truenamer from the Tome of Magic for inspiration - a PrC or base class based on a similar skill-check mechanic, with Forgery at the focal? Does anyone know if there's any deities of the written word? It could be a clerical class alternative, trading turning and other class features for such a mechanic.

Epsilon Rose
2011-05-21, 05:53 PM
I would like to point out that if he's taking an hour per level per person for his main schtick than it's probably not going to see much use unless you're in a campaign with lots of down time and known enemies who aren't going to make their save (or simply be immune).

NineThePuma
2011-05-21, 06:04 PM
@The Title:

Sign it with an Explosive Runes spell.

Veklim
2011-05-21, 06:11 PM
Take a note from Japanese anime perhaps? Use little notes with focused written power, kinda like power word effects delivered with a touch attack, use the longer prose to work like a mixture of a bard's performance and mind effecting stuff en masse.
Getting thoughts actually, could make a very interesting PrC...

Glimbur
2011-05-21, 07:43 PM
I might make it a feat for casters to put a wider range of spells in writing as a trap type thing.

chrisrawr
2011-05-21, 08:22 PM
I might make it a feat for casters to put a wider range of spells in writing as a trap type thing.

Just make a book full of confusion, black tentacles, and eye-burst. Call it the NecronomiconSuper-Happy-Fun Book of Wonders.

Mulletmanalive
2011-05-22, 02:48 PM
There was a passable [if not good] prestige class in Champions of Darkness for 3e Ravenloft. Well, two really, the Propagandist and the Manipulator [and the Charletan, really].

Perhaps those could serve as inspiration?

TheLonelyScribe
2011-05-22, 03:40 PM
Perhaps there could be two different types of scripts, 'poetry', which allows the reader to cast a spell or use a spell effect, and 'prose', which affects the reader. Actually, maybe it would be better to say that only the writer can give poetry the right intonation to use its effect, and maybe make an ability or feat that means they can make more accessible poetry, for a price.
I think this could be quite a good sort of justification for prepared vancian magic, the writer can only have so much inspiration per day. I do think that the whole writing an angry letter would be great fun in an intrigue campaign. Anyway, good luck in your project!

DracoDei
2011-05-22, 04:47 PM
I would like to point out that if he's taking an hour per level per person for his main schtick than it's probably not going to see much use unless you're in a campaign with lots of down time and known enemies who aren't going to make their save (or simply be immune).
I prefer campaigns with a lot of down-time. Things that work well with them are very much welcome... haven't read the OP yet, might get around to it some time.

npc revolution
2011-05-23, 05:23 PM
I've attempted to detail levels 1-5 with the most basic form of the ability I could think of. Please critique mercilessly for I know not what I am doing.

chrisrawr
2011-05-23, 07:36 PM
Perhaps have it work like forgery - the person writing the letter makes a roll, and if it beats a DC depending on the person reading it, the person is taken by the effect.

Such as: A 5th level Writer is making a "Fear" letter - He spends a minute writing it for every level of the effect (3, for a 3rd level effect), and rolls a Writing check - 1d20+Forgery? He gets an 18 total. The person who reads his letter is at 3th level Peasant; CR .5, so the DC is 16; 10 + CR + 2xEffect level (Fear is a 3rd level effect, if I remember correctly?) (DC formula stolen from a Truenamer Fix that works remarkably well) The Writer doesn't know the outcome of the effect until he hears about it or sees the results later, but since the effect was successful, he'll probably find the Peasant running around, panicked.

Perhaps start the Writer with the ability to invoke only one effect per letter, but give options for things such as forcing a Will Save vs being unable to stop reading, and Multiple effects by increasing the DC.

As an aside, I really like magic or supernatural abilities that require only setup time; the magic comes from the world, from your creativity, from god, and you just channel it :]

Talentless
2011-05-24, 02:33 PM
How about making it a prestige class with the following as a culmination of power class feature.

Just another Actor(Sp): A Writer of the 10th level may spend a full month writing a Script, using names of people he has met personally and unnamed Actors such as Peasant 1. This functions as craft Wonderous Item. (Costs X gp, some very large amount, like expensive spell component amount, i do not know good pricing, so if you like it, please help me out here). Once the Script is activated, every named actor inside the script must make a will save DC 10 +Writer's Level + Bard level(if any) + Cha bonus + feats/spell buff bonuses. All who fail said check are to enact every action written in the Script down to the letter, all unnamed actors within the script are produced as if with Programmed Image. The Writer may only possess one Script at any time, writing another Script before using the other causes the first Script to crumble away to dust.

What do you guys think? Too powerful? More Tweaking? I think that is the kind of power/class style that the OP is looking for.

npc revolution
2011-05-27, 05:25 PM
That's just the kind of effect that'd spice up a class like this. Making him a social manipulator for intrigue campaigns. Good work! :smallbiggrin:

Now to wait and see whether it's balanced.