PDA

View Full Version : Turning by feat?

Wolfgang Hype
2011-05-21, 10:44 PM
I'm looking to make a Silver Pyromancer for an Eberron game, however this entails losing two levels of wizard to do so however since the first level of silver pyro doesn't give spell progression and I need Turn Undead to get access to the PrC. It's not a huge problem as far as caster level goes since with fire spells I use my HD as my CL, but I'd like to have that extra level of spell progression which would also allow me to take the PrC one level sooner.

I read somewhere about a feat that grants access to a Domain power and someone said that you could use a Druid variant of the Sun Domain from Unearthed Arcana to get the Turn Undead class feature. However I've yet to find the actual feat in a book anywhere. Does anyone know if it exists or was perhaps just homebrew?

Zaydos
2011-05-21, 10:46 PM
Don't know a feat, but Complete Champion has an ACF for wizards that trades a bonus feat for a domain granted power.

Wolfgang Hype
2011-05-21, 10:54 PM
Thank you, I believe that is exactly what they were referencing since they had it marked down as the 5th bonus feat.

Edit: Of course Sun is not a domain of the Silver Flame, so I'm not sure if my DM will allow it or not.

Divide by Zero
2011-05-21, 11:02 PM
Can you dip Sacred Exorcist?

Wolfgang Hype
2011-05-21, 11:24 PM
Well, I could, but we'll be jumping in at lvl 9, almost lvl 10 (we're jumping in at roughly the same exp as the current characters) and I wouldn't be able to take Sacred Exorcist until lvl 10 (can't learn Dismissal until lvl 9), so I wouldn't get to take Silver Pyromancer until lvl 11.

I'm not sure it would be worth it.

ILM
2011-05-22, 06:43 AM
I read somewhere about a feat that grants access to a Domain power and someone said that you could use a Druid variant of the Sun Domain from Unearthed Arcana to get the Turn Undead class feature. However I've yet to find the actual feat in a book anywhere. Does anyone know if it exists or was perhaps just homebrew?
You mean Arcane Disciple?

HalfDragonCube
2011-05-22, 07:49 AM
You mean Arcane Disciple?

Arcane Disciple: Why bother being an Archivist when you can be a Wizard without many feats?

Thurbane
2011-05-22, 09:23 PM
I'm fairly sure when this has come up before (I was looking for a way to do this myself, for a pure Rogue going into the Skull Clan Hunter PrC), the Sun domain doesn't actually grant Turning (via the Catalgoues of Enlightment or however else), if you don't already have it.

I ended up finding one, and only one, feat to get Turning without a class dip. It was a feat in an issue of Dragon Mag, but the name now escapes me. It also had a prereq feat, from memory, and only granted one turn attempt for each time you took the feat.

Darrin
2011-05-23, 06:02 AM
I'm fairly sure when this has come up before (I was looking for a way to do this myself, for a pure Rogue going into the Skull Clan Hunter PrC), the Sun domain doesn't actually grant Turning (via the Catalgoues of Enlightment or however else), if you don't already have it.

The issue with the Sun domain is it converts one of your existing turn attempts into a Greater Turning attempt. Thus, if you don't already have turn undead, there's nothing to convert.

However, the Sun domain doesn't specify that your turning has to be "turn undead". Thus, I think you can pick up turn/rebuke vs. a particular creature type from another domain (such as air/earth/fire/water/plant), and convert that via the Sun domain into Turn Undead.

A wizard with the domain ACF (Complete Champion p. 52) can pull this off around ECL 6 by taking the Fire domain at level 5 and the Planar Touchstone feat at level 6 (Catalogues of Enlightenment -> Sun domain power). Of course, you still have the problem that the Fire domain isn't part of the Silver Flame portfolio, but it shouldn't be that hard to get a DM to add it... I mean, c'mon, the word FLAME is part of the name of the deity!

I ended up finding one, and only one, feat to get Turning without a class dip. It was a feat in an issue of Dragon Mag, but the name now escapes me. It also had a prereq feat, from memory, and only granted one turn attempt for each time you took the feat.

The two feats are from Dragon #305: God-Touched and Divine Channeler. No prereqs (other than must worship a deity), so you can get turn undead 1/day around ECL 3 (or human/azurin/strongheart halfling at ECL 1).

There's another way via feats: Necromantic Bloodline + Kin Mastery (Dragon Compendium). The bloodline feats are primarily for sorcerers, but wizards can qualify via Alacritous Cogitation (Complete Mage p. 37). This could be done at ECL 6 (or human/azurin/strongheart halfling at ECL 3).

Thurbane
2011-05-23, 08:40 AM
Cool - thanks for the clarification Darrin. :smallsmile: