PDA

View Full Version : Random question...

The-Mage-King
2011-05-22, 12:06 AM
About how would you compare the power of a d20 modern character to that of a D&D 3.5 character of equivilant level?

Let's go with level 6 for the characters in question.

EDIT: And what about level 10 characters being compared? And level 15 characters?

Tvtyrant
2011-05-22, 12:10 AM
About how would you compare the power of a d20 modern character to that of a D&D 3.5 character of equivilant level?

Let's go with level 6 for the characters in question.

EDIT: And what about level 10 characters being compared? And level 15 characters?

I think they are roughly analagous to Tier 3-4 D&D characters of an equal level; Powerful Hero for instance is weaker then a caster but stronger then a melee class.

The-Mage-King
2011-05-22, 12:12 AM
I think they are roughly analagous to Tier 3-4 D&D characters of an equal level; Powerful Hero for instance is weaker then a caster but stronger then a melee class.

Standard melee, or ToB melee? I'm asking because I had an... interesting idea, and I need to know about the disparity in power before I can finish planning it out...

Never mind that first question. I'm tired, and am not thinking clearly.

Which is, obviously, when all of the best campaign ideas are thought up.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-22, 12:23 AM
Standard melee, or ToB melee? I'm asking because I had an... interesting idea, and I need to know about the disparity in power before I can finish planning it out...

Never mind that first question. I'm tired, and am not thinking clearly.

Which is, obviously, when all of the best campaign ideas are thought up.
I meant standard melee; ToB is definitely stronger IMO. And I agree, most of the best ideas for a campaign come when your tired and not hampered by rational thoughts. Its how I come up with stuff like Dragon-Whales and Pharaohs that eat their followers to provide them with magic.

The-Mage-King
2011-05-22, 12:32 AM
I meant standard melee; ToB is definitely stronger IMO. And I agree, most of the best ideas for a campaign come when your tired and not hampered by rational thoughts. Its how I come up with stuff like Dragon-Whales and Pharaohs that eat their followers to provide them with magic.

Yeah, well... I've been reading quite a few F/SN fanfics over on Spacebattles recently, and the arguements about how to stat the characters had me wondering about this...

But I've said enough on this matter.

So, your thoughts on level 10 d20 Mod compared to the same in D&D? Roughly the same power levels, or are the D&D guys firmly ahead?

The Rabbler
2011-05-22, 12:41 AM
So, your thoughts on level 10 d20 Mod compared to the same in D&D? Roughly the same power levels, or are the D&D guys firmly ahead?

In my experience, it depends. If we're assuming that d20 chars can only take d20 feats and they also have access to modern weaponry, they come out about even to tier 4 D&D classes without modern weaponry.

I'm being this specific because everything gets messed up when you simply combine d20 modern feats/weapons and D&D classes (but it's pretty damn fun at the same time)

The-Mage-King
2011-05-22, 12:47 AM
In my experience, it depends. If we're assuming that d20 chars can only take d20 feats and they also have access to modern weaponry, they come out about even to tier 4 D&D classes without modern weaponry.

I'm being this specific because everything gets messed up when you simply combine d20 modern feats/weapons and D&D classes (but it's pretty damn fun at the same time)

Yeah. Assume that the d20 Mod characters have only feats from there, and maybe weapons from there.

I'm like that. I'm just trying to get a reasonable idea of how I should handle it... I've almost got one.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-22, 12:51 AM
Yeah, well... I've been reading quite a few F/SN fanfics over on Spacebattles recently, and the arguments about how to stat the characters had me wondering about this...

But I've said enough on this matter.

Well, I think it depends on which class. Soldier has the ability to auto-crit at level 10, which makes them very, very dangerous. With D&D equipment like Vorpal weapons they are extremely deadly. The Martial Artist is also better than the Monk, and they all have a lot of skill points. I would put them ahead of all of the Tier 5s at least, and Soldier is a high 4.

Urpriest
2011-05-22, 12:51 AM
Stick around and find out... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198988)

Tvtyrant
2011-05-22, 01:23 AM
I think the caster and psion types are Tier 3, though that can be disputed. They have Bardic style lists, and they get more class features then real casters. Also, lower maximize reqs can be very useful.

I changed my mind; Tier 4 is about as high as you can put them. They top out at 5th level casting, but they get it in 10 levels. So its better then melee, but not as good as even Pseudo-casters in D&D. Overall everything hovers at Tier 4

The-Mage-King
2011-05-22, 10:10 AM
I think the caster and psion types are Tier 3, though that can be disputed. They have Bardic style lists, and they get more class features then real casters. Also, lower maximize reqs can be very useful.

I changed my mind; Tier 4 is about as high as you can put them. They top out at 5th level casting, but they get it in 10 levels. So its better then melee, but not as good as even Pseudo-casters in D&D. Overall everything hovers at Tier 4

Very interesting...

Well, thanks for the comments. This'll go a decent way towards helping me plan something out.

Greenish
2011-05-22, 10:14 AM
Well, I think it depends on which class. Soldier has the ability to auto-crit at level 10, which makes them very, very dangerous. With D&D equipment like Vorpal weapons they are extremely deadly.Vorpal triggers on nat 20's, not on all threats/crits.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-22, 02:36 PM
Vorpal triggers on nat 20's, not on all threats/crits.

Okay, make it a charger with a valorous lance. Instant crit is still a very potent ability.

Greenish
2011-05-22, 03:05 PM
Okay, make it a charger with a valorous lance. Instant crit is still a very potent ability.True, but it's not like there aren't such effects in the game already. Surge of Fortune, say.

A neat trick, sure, but no more.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-22, 03:08 PM
True, but it's not like there aren't such effects in the game already. Surge of Fortune, say.

A neat trick, sure, but no more.

I did say Tier 4 was as high as they went, still better then the none-psuedo caster alternatives.

Cespenar
2011-05-22, 05:50 PM
Soldier's capstone doesn't allow you to auto-crit an attack. It allows you to auto-confirm a threat. The threat itself has to be generated naturally.

By the way, the non-caster d20 modern classes are very much Tier 5, IMO.