PDA

View Full Version : PF: Inquisitor

Man With Dog
2011-05-22, 05:50 AM
Ok.
So I got to play an inquisitor quicker than i thought.
He has very strong stats.
Currently 17 Str. 16 Dex, Con and Wis.
He is unfortunately going to be a front rank fighter with his d8 hit points.

Anyone willing to offer help in making him as effective as possible?
He is currently half Orc and level 4.

I may be able to change feats which I currently have as Power Attack and Weapon Focus. Kinda sucks can't be a bowman as front rank.

But yeah... Any further assistance greatly appreciated.

Grommen
2011-05-22, 11:38 AM
How did this happen?

Pick for your spells Divine Favor, Shield of Faith, Bless

Then pray, a lot, for Bracers of Armor.....

jmelesky
2011-05-22, 12:49 PM
You didn't mention your preferred weapon, but i'd recommend a heavy shield if feasible.

Your Orc Ferocity is probably going to get some play, especially in the early levels, so make sure you have a method of healing very quickly (either a nearby cleric or Cure Light/Moderate in your own known list).

You may want to consider spells which can incapacitate someone: Hole Person or Castigate. Not the best spells, but they could save your bacon if you're in danger of being flanked.

Mostly, make sure the rest of your party knows it needs to support you. Get someone to cast Shield Other on you. Make sure you get the buffs. Train your wizard to use battlefield control so you're only facing one enemy at a time.

Good luck.

Man With Dog
2011-05-22, 12:51 PM
How did this happen?

Pick for your spells Divine Favor, Shield of Faith, Bless

Then pray, a lot, for Bracers of Armor.....

How did what happen?
I can work on the bracers - could take a while as were in a very low magic campaign but is doable.

Feats sitting ok? They aren't great feats but I couldn't think of much flavour

grarrrg
2011-05-22, 01:23 PM
inquisitor...
Currently 17 Str. 16 Dex, Con and Wis.
He is unfortunately going to be a front rank fighter with his d8 hit points.
...He is currently half Orc and level 4.

Couple questions:
Are you _a_ front line fighter or _the_ front line fighter? In other words, who else is in your party?
For purposes of Dipping, are you using Fractional Bab? Or as listed?

For a quick fix with similar flavor, swap all levels out for levels in Paladin (or Antipaladin, whichever alignment is closer). Same saves, better HP, better Bab, and Heavy armor prof. Just switch your Wis score with your Cha score and you're good to go.

Assuming you want to stay Inquisitor, then I'd recommend dipping another class.
(Anti)Paladin, Fighter, and Cavalier all get you Heavy Armor and a slight boost in hp and/or Bab.

If you're just dipping, I'd say go with Fighter for a level or two.
(Anti)Paladin is the worst from a dipping standpoint (most things run on Cha, which you don't have).
Fighter can give you a bonus feat(s) to play with.
Cavalier does take less of a hit on skill points (gets 4/level) though.

Man With Dog
2011-05-22, 06:36 PM
Couple questions:
Are you _a_ front line fighter or _the_ front line fighter? In other words, who else is in your party?
For purposes of Dipping, are you using Fractional Bab? Or as listed?

For a quick fix with similar flavor, swap all levels out for levels in Paladin (or Antipaladin, whichever alignment is closer). Same saves, better HP, better Bab, and Heavy armor prof. Just switch your Wis score with your Cha score and you're good to go.

Assuming you want to stay Inquisitor, then I'd recommend dipping another class.
(Anti)Paladin, Fighter, and Cavalier all get you Heavy Armor and a slight boost in hp and/or Bab.

If you're just dipping, I'd say go with Fighter for a level or two.
(Anti)Paladin is the worst from a dipping standpoint (most things run on Cha, which you don't have).
Fighter can give you a bonus feat(s) to play with.
Cavalier does take less of a hit on skill points (gets 4/level) though.

He is 'A' front line fighter.
We have the front line fighter - great sword wielding damage dealer.
Witch - Very well statted Rogue - 2 Clerics and Me.

I am avoiding Paladin as i played one of those and wanted to try something different. Something different might have been better at a different time but right now its all i have lol.

Level 4 - Good HP. Good stats all round (12 Int though)
Main weapon - Long Sword.
Breastplate - Small Steel Shield and will be switching to a Spiked Chain later to try and give a little reach.
Current feats are Weapon Focus and Power Attack.
All stats such as BAB are as given in the book - no changes as of yet.

jmelesky
2011-05-22, 06:39 PM
Breastplate - Small Steel Shield and will be switching to a Spiked Chain later to try and give a little reach.

FYI: In PF, Spiked Chain has no reach. You might try a polearm instead, if that's your aim.

subject42
2011-05-22, 09:49 PM
I'll sound like a madman for suggesting this, but given your stats and your classes, you might want to look at two-weapon fighting.

With two +1 1d6 simple light weapons, the destruction judgment and the bane quality you get at level 5, and the precise strike teamwork feat, you should be getting something like this on two attacks:

1d6 (weapon) + 1 (half strength) + 2 (destruction judgment) + 1 (enhancement) + 2 (bane) + 2d6 (bane) + 1d6 (precision) = 20 total

Throw in the Destruction (Rage) domain and you can boost that even more.

You'll be taking your to-hit value pretty hard, but you can use flanking and other tricks to boost that. Additionally, use spells to debuff the enemy.

grarrrg
2011-05-22, 10:12 PM
He is 'A' front line fighter.
We have the front line fighter - great sword wielding damage dealer.
Witch - Very well statted Rogue - 2 Clerics and Me.

Level 4 - Good HP. Good stats all round (12 Int though)

Wow, the party is heavy on the holy men then.

As stated, Spiked Chain does NOT have reach in PF.

I browsed through the PrC's quickly, no real help there. The only one that you'd qualify for anytime soon would be Horizon Walker, and then you might as well just take levels of Ranger instead (all other PrC's require too high Bab to enter, or require dipping).

If your DM allows pfsrd stuff (or someone has the book), Ultimate Magic just came out, and it has a variety of additional options for an Inquisitor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/collaborators/work-area/paizo-products/pathfinder-rpg-line/ultimate-magic/chapter-1-spellcasters/inquisitor-options). Give it a look through, maybe something will catch your eye.
The Zeal Inquisition may be worth a look, once per day if you are reduced below 0 hp, you automatically heal level+Wismod hp.

Man With Dog
2011-05-23, 01:43 AM
Looking at this thread it seems you should only ever take a rogues view in combat and never find yourself up front.
May have to hope I don't die each session we play and hope the dwarven cleric sits behind me the whole time.
Either that or go evil, kill the party and make them all refill. That way, less clerics is possible and more fighters likely :-)

grarrrg
2011-05-23, 01:52 AM
Looking at this thread it seems you should only ever take a rogues view in combat and never find yourself up front.
May have to hope I don't die each session we play and hope the dwarven cleric sits behind me the whole time.
Either that or go evil, kill the party and make them all refill. That way, less clerics is possible and more fighters likely :-)

It's really not all that bad, especially with your Stats.
Sure you have d8HD, but with a +3 Con mod, effectively the same as d10 w/ +2 Con mod.
Your best Armor Prof is Medium, but with a +3 Dex mod (that you wouldn't fully benefit from in Heavy anyway).
And you have some casting if/when you need it.

Honestly, compared to a 3.5 Ranger the only thing you're missing is full Bab.

The main reason you aren't getting much for advice is that Level 4 doesn't give a whole lot of levels/feats/gold to work with, especially as we are locked-in to Inquisitor.

subject42
2011-05-23, 08:06 AM

I think it's less "you should never find yourself up front" and more "if you find yourself 'in front', make sure that what you're 'in front of' is a finely-ground paste made of your former enemy's viscera".

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-05-26, 08:51 PM
Pump Cha and Wis, use a 'Guided' weapon, optimise Fear/Intimidate (use Heroes of Horror fear variant if you can) and Coup de grace everything. The combination of feats: Dreadful Wrath, Dazzling Display, and Imperious Command works wonders. If you can get the Heroes of Horror fear variant try to throw some poison use in there. Sleep Smoke (City of Splendors Water deep Pg. 152) becomes a viable option after the fear debuff and makes for an easier coup de grace. For your domain grab the Chaos domain with the Demon sub-domain for Fury of the Abyss. Don't stray from Inquisitor much because of your Stern Gaze and you will make everything cower with fear.