PDA

View Full Version : The Quest for the Unicorn (Lyle)

Zaydos
2011-05-22, 01:15 PM
You can't remember before they came, the hobgoblins, diabolists, and barbarians. For your entire life they have been the ruling nobility, a cruel and sadistic nobility. Even in your home town, a small, out of the way village, a place of hunters and trappers living off the forest, they have ruled brutally.

As you hunt for some meat for yourself, and possibly your family, you hear the call of some animal from the north-east in the woods.

(Does Lyle have any living immediate family? If so what are their relation to him, and do you want to name them?)

shadowgab
2011-05-23, 12:30 PM
(Lyle only has a little sister named Arianna (nickname Ari by Lyle) Theirs Parents were kill by the 'nobles'. Since then they live together in their house were Lyle Hunt for food and she work at the village)

(While hunting Lyle bring only his bow, arrows, bastard sword and his dagger)

While Lyle was hunting, like always. But today, while hunting, he hears a call further north-east. Intrigued he decide to move slowly in the direction of the animal with carefulness not to disturb them.

Move and hide check

Hide1d20+10
Move Silently1d20+10

shadowgab
2011-05-23, 12:31 PM
Move and hide check shot # 2

Hide[roll0]
Move Silently[roll1]

Zaydos
2011-05-23, 02:34 PM
You move more silently than a beast of the woods as you approach the sound. It was similar to that of a deer bursting through bushes, a great crashing noise. When you reach the source you find, as could be expected, thick bushes which make travel difficult, but just past them a clearing lit from sunlight pouring in from between the branches. A single tree stump, slanted and jagged as if felled by nature and not the axes of men, stands in the center, though no sign of the tree are apparent. Upon the stump sits a single fox with a coat of pure, lustrous white.

shadowgab
2011-05-23, 03:36 PM
Amazed by the creature standing on the tree stamp, Lyle approach carefully (still hiding/move silently) to take a closer look to this awesome creature.

He then get out the bushes slowly and try to ease the creature.

Wild Empathy

[roll0]

Zaydos
2011-05-23, 03:37 PM
It watches you serenely, with a calmness that is most definitely odd in a wild animal.

shadowgab
2011-05-23, 04:42 PM
Walking toward the creature, i kneel slowly and drop my bow and an arrow on the floor. I approach it slowly and say to it:

Hey you, little creature what are you ?

While speaking Lyle try to reach the creature with its right hand to pet the animal.

Zaydos
2011-05-23, 06:32 PM
As you reach towards it speaking an arrow embeds itself into the ground beside you, and then a second overshoots you. You hear voices speaking in goblinoid and a pair of hobgoblins burst through the bushes 20-ft away with bow and arrows drawn.

Roll initiative (if you get a 10+ you can take your action before they can react)

shadowgab
2011-05-23, 08:04 PM
Roll Initiative

[roll0]

Zaydos
2011-05-23, 09:59 PM
The hobgoblins fire their bows at the fox, both of them missing, and bark something that sounds like an order at you in their native tongue.

shadowgab
2011-05-23, 11:17 PM
Lyle then Kneel and take his bow/arrow on the ground. He then target the nearest enemy and fire the arrow on him.

Attack [roll0]
Damage (if hit) [roll1]

Zaydos
2011-05-23, 11:19 PM
Your arrow passes through the hobgoblin striking against a tree behind it and landing (intact) on the ground. The hobgoblins both vanish as do the arrows they had fired. The ground, torn by the arrows' force, is also returned to its original state.

shadowgab
2011-05-23, 11:26 PM
Lyle quickly fetch his arrow then look at the creature and, he couldn't know why, asked to the creature:

Are you ok little fellow ? Did they hurt you ?

Lyle then looked puzzle has why the hobgoblins disappears and quickly look around to spot any other.

Spot: [roll0]

Zaydos
2011-05-23, 11:30 PM
You can't see any more of them about. Make a Knowledge (Local) or Knowledge (History) check.

You may be the one a soothing, feminine voice says. You can't figure out where it came from, almost as if it came from within your own mind. If so, then it is time you begin to learn of your destiny. Please go four hard days' marches west of here, brave hero.

shadowgab
2011-05-23, 11:35 PM
*I have neither of the skill, what do i do ?* *i do have geo*

I i can roll then here it is:

[roll0]

Looking around he talks to the air :

Destiny? what or who are you ? Four days west ? Why...

Lyle stop talking then turn to the white fox.

Is it you who are talking to me ? What exactly are you ?

Zaydos
2011-05-23, 11:38 PM
I cannot answer your questions here. Go west if you seek the truth behind this the woman's voice says in your mind. The fox looks at you with cool, sky blue eyes.

It's said that illusionary hobgoblin soldiers would sometimes be used as a diversionary tactic during the war.

shadowgab
2011-05-24, 11:15 AM
Troubled Lyle then said:

ok, I'll go.

He then returned home to take his equipment. ON his way he was thinking about all of this.

Zaydos
2011-05-24, 11:22 AM
Your return home is a quick and easy one. As you walk through the streets, though, you are stopped while his Lord the Baron Ilrazer's carriage passes by.

shadowgab
2011-05-24, 03:27 PM
When Lyle arrived in town, seeing the noble passing, he meld into the crown and look at the event. He didn'T do anything except look for the end of the passing.

Zaydos
2011-05-24, 03:57 PM
When you reach your home your sister is still gone, working as a seamstress at one of the shops in town.

shadowgab
2011-05-24, 04:20 PM
Lyle then gather his equipment and leave a note to his sister.

Dear Ari,
I'll be gone for few days for hunting. I'll leave you our house and result of my hunt to you.

Be well.

Lyle

He then equip all his gear then head to the west exit of the town. Heading West for a 4 days of hard walk.

Zaydos
2011-05-24, 04:24 PM
The road is a poor one, the village is poor and to the west there is little more. Once there were great towns along the western coast which traded with a kingdom beyond the western sea, but the barbarian hordes sweeped through them and they have, to your knowledge, not yet been rebuilt as anything more than occupatied territory of the Salruk barbarians.

Do you stick to the road or go off the beaten trail? Also will you be gathering food as you go (as per the Survival skill 1/2 speed) or will you be eating out of your supplies? Finally how hard (many hours) will you march each day?

shadowgab
2011-05-24, 05:32 PM
Lyle walk on the trail and when he see someone or something move to the off road.

I'll eat on my supplies since I'm eager to go see my destiny.

I'll walk 10 hours by day. (I have the Endurance feat)

Zaydos
2011-05-24, 05:38 PM
The first five hours of your journey are uneventful, but at that point you see a lone old man ahead of you on the path walking west. He seems to be all alone and have trouble walking without a cane.

Knowledge (Local) to know the location of the nearest town on this road (it's less than 4 hard day's travel; even slowed to 3/4ths by the bad quality of the trail you're still going 20+ miles a day).

shadowgab
2011-05-24, 05:48 PM
I approach the old man and asked at around 50 feet :

Old man, are you ok ? You hurt or something ?

As I approach more, I keep my shield ready but don't draw my blade.

Zaydos
2011-05-24, 05:53 PM
I'm fine, I've got some furs to sell in town he says, patting his hand on a sack on his side.

shadowgab
2011-05-27, 06:28 PM
Are you ok by yourself ? Do you need aid ?

I see you hardly walk , care if I help you with something to help you walk ?

Zaydos
2011-05-27, 09:06 PM
I can walk just fine the old man says with wounded pride, But if you insist on helping, you can carry my bag.

He places the sack on the ground. If you attempt to lift it read the spoiler.
The bag is far heavier than it appears; it requires a DC 10 Str check to lift it on your first try, but you can take 10 to lift it on the second. It weighs 100-lbs.

shadowgab
2011-05-28, 11:51 AM
I try to lift it:

[roll0]

After my first fail, i try again (take 10) then look at the man:

Shall we go ? It was heavier than it look.

Zaydos
2011-05-28, 07:06 PM
Yes, let us.

The old man is still rather slow, and doesn't talk unless you do. It takes you about 4 hours to reach the town, a distance you could have made in close to 1 alone.

If you want to talk to the man, or do something on the way, do so. Otherwise just say so and I'll post description of the town when it comes into sight.

shadowgab
2011-05-28, 11:24 PM
I'll talk to him

So where you from and what fur are you selling ?

(later)

Are your selling ok ?

(After that no more talking, can skip to town description)

Zaydos
2011-05-28, 11:31 PM
I'm a native to the region, I've watched it grow old.

Later

Things sell okay. Bears are hard to kill, they are dangerous beasts, but they're fairly splendid creatures.

The town is like many others. Houses extend for some way outside of the town proper, furthest are the homes of trappers, woodcutters, and those who rely on the forest proper for life. Past those are farms, and beyond even those is the walled town proper where shops can be found. The walls are guarded by hobgoblins, westerners, and half-breeds mostly, those whose blood is not entirely of Berotan. They wear scale mail armor mostly, with longswords, shields, and longbows.

You've travelled 9 hours so far today and need to make a DC 10 Con check or take [roll0] subdual damage, but you gain a +4 from your Endurance feat. Do you wish to continue after reaching the town or stay the night there? Since you didn't leave exactly early in the morning the sun is already setting.

shadowgab
2011-05-29, 12:01 AM
Con Check
[roll0]

(How much money to I have ? i write none but now that I need some, how much do I have WBL - equipment or your choice)

Zaydos
2011-05-29, 11:09 AM
Con Check
[roll0]

(How much money to I have ? i write none but now that I need some, how much do I have WBL - equipment or your choice)

Well your choice. You can have WBL - equipment or a few hundred gold (which is a lot for a peasant), or whatever you want.

shadowgab
2011-05-29, 03:19 PM
I'll have.. let's say, 40 gold.

I,ll stay at the inn/tavern.

I'll go to bed early and wake up early next morning

Zaydos
2011-05-29, 04:49 PM
A night in the common room is five copper pieces, a private room is two silver. A meal is a silver, three silvers, or five silvers depending upon quality.

The basic meal is simple bread and broth, with water to drink.

The more expensive meal is bread and rabbit stew with a potato on the side, and ale to drink.

The most expensive meal is meat, bread, and mashed potatoes with soup, and ale.

Few travellers are in the inn, or revelers either, and those there are mainly consist of the ruling class. A northerner, fair haired and with hawk-like features, jeers lustfully at the serving girl. A westerner, darker skinned with a large handle-bar mustach, feasts on a roast pig (5 GP if you want an entire roast pig). Two hobgoblins drink at the bar, and another group of half-hobgoblins sit at one of the table, yellow eyes leering out from under heavy brows. You're the only Berotan customer in the place.

The two hobgoblins make a few remarks, calling you a Berotan weasel and other racist slurs, but nobody cares enough to actually accost you or cause real trouble unless you fight back, and the night passes uneventfully if you leave them in peace.

shadowgab
2011-05-29, 05:10 PM
I pay for a private room with a meal at 3 silver piece.

I pay no attention to the hobgoblins and half-breed.

When I finish eating, go directly to my chamber and sleep.

Zaydos
2011-05-29, 05:13 PM
As you leave the inn in the morning you can see a woman crying on the ground before a hobgoblin. He carries the spear, and wears the cape and insignia of a town magistrate, making himself the ruler of this village. She seems to be pleading with him over something but he walks away unconcerned.

The old man from yesterday can be seen sitting in front of a house, and store, beside the inn shaking his head and making little tut-tut sounds.

shadowgab
2011-05-29, 05:16 PM
I approach the lady (description needed plz) and ask:

What is your problem ? Can I help you with anything ?

Zaydos
2011-05-29, 05:19 PM
She looks to be in her twenties, brown haired, and about 5' 4" tall. Tears cover her face, and fill her brown eyes. She looks up at you with a trembling lip, and says, Gremlins came into my house this morning. They took my son into the woods.

shadowgab
2011-05-29, 05:56 PM
Lyle was thorn by the request from the lady and the voice of that white creature. Ultimately Lyle look at the lady then ask:

Show me your house, I'll go look for him ! We must hurry, sooner the better.

Zaydos
2011-05-29, 05:59 PM
She looks up at you with hope in her eyes. Really? You'll really help me? she says as she struggles to her feet. She leads the way to her house at a brisk pace, almost a run. It's almost a mile outside of the town walls, one of the furthest farms from the village.

It's a small farm, no large lifestock like sheep or cattle, and she leads you to the child's room. The wooden window has been broken and one of the shutters hangs on a single hinge and the other lies broken on the ground. The bed is in obvious disarray as well.

(this would be an appropriate time for a survival check to track)

shadowgab
2011-05-29, 06:14 PM
Survival Roll

[roll0]

EDIT : HRP :***SHAME***

Zaydos
2011-05-29, 06:16 PM
Survival Roll

[roll0]

EDIT : HRP :***SHAME***

You can go off in a random direction and hope to pick it up later, or spend an hour searching for the trail; or (since this is an RPG) think of a third option and try it.

shadowgab
2011-05-29, 06:26 PM
I go outside the windows and look at the woods, i march forward them about 30 feet then try to look a hint of their passage, (broken branch, windows fragments, blood) on the ground.

Zaydos
2011-05-29, 06:31 PM
Survival check then.

shadowgab
2011-05-29, 06:48 PM
Survival again

[roll0]

Zaydos
2011-05-29, 06:51 PM
Since the window was wooden you don't find any pieces of glass, but on a bush you find a scrap of cloth from what would be a child's night-shirt. A trail leads east by north-east, obviously made by more than one creature; you'd guess three really small creatures, and two the size of a human child.

If you follow tell me if you're going full or half-speed, and if you're taking 10 or going to roll for tracking.

shadowgab
2011-05-29, 06:56 PM
I follow them with track so half speed. I follow the trails and let me know as soon as I hear or see something.

Zaydos
2011-05-29, 06:57 PM
Can I get a spot and listen check, then?

shadowgab
2011-05-29, 07:09 PM
Checks:

Listen [roll0]
Spot [roll1]

Zaydos
2011-05-29, 07:24 PM
You see a black bear to the south 50-ft away. It hasn't seen you yet.

shadowgab
2011-05-29, 07:49 PM
I'll just follow the trail in direction of the woods.

Zaydos
2011-05-29, 07:51 PM
After another 2 miles (3 total; about 2 hours of travel) you see a cave up ahead. You also hear footsteps approaching you, but can't see from where. Roll initiative.

shadowgab
2011-05-29, 08:00 PM
Initiative
[roll0]

Zaydos
2011-05-29, 08:05 PM
You feel blades slash across your legs. Two creatures, standing a little under 18 inches tall, stand at your legs. They hold knives, longswords to them, and wear wooden shields which dominate most of their bodies. They have green skin, purple eyes, and long pointed ears and noses. They are wearing chainshirt armor. You can feel something, a poison probably, rushing through your veins back to your heart.

You took 3 damage from their attacks and need to make 2 Fort saves.

shadowgab
2011-05-29, 08:33 PM
Fort Save
1.[roll0]
2.[roll1]

my draw my sword and ready my shield this turn.

Zaydos
2011-05-29, 08:42 PM
One dose affects you, causing your body to feel slugging (you suffer a -1 to attacks, Reflex, and AC temporarily).

The two creatures stab at you again, one hitting you for 3 damage.

shadowgab
2011-05-29, 08:49 PM
I attack the one who hit me with my sword and spiked shield:

Sword hit:[roll0]
Sword dmg:[roll1]
Shield hit:[roll2]
Shield dmg:[roll3]

shadowgab
2011-05-30, 12:35 PM
Then I shift back some step to have both of them in my vision.

Zaydos
2011-05-30, 12:39 PM
It dodges both attacks easily and then they shift towards you to attack you, but your shield stops both their knives with ease.

Had to check if a 5-ft step into someone else's square provoked an AoO; it doesn't seem to. Also apparently this didn't come up on my subscriptions list till your second post.

Zaydos
2011-05-30, 12:40 PM
-it ate my post-

shadowgab
2011-06-01, 07:58 AM
Angered by his missed attack, Lyle re-attack the same gremlins furiously

Sword hit :[roll0]
Sword dmg : [roll1]
Shield hit : [roll2]
Shield dmg : [roll3]

Die you little devil creatures !

Zaydos
2011-06-01, 01:02 PM
Both attacks go wildly wide, and they respond with vicious slashes, one catching your leg due to your poison slowed body (1 damage).

((the sad thing is their AC is still worse than yours and your attack bonus is still as good as theirs))

shadowgab
2011-06-01, 02:29 PM
This is it ! Now you've done it !

Lyle then attack with his sword only.

Sword Hit: [roll0]
Sword Dmg:[roll1]

(My roll are so low, I think I'm gonna cry a little)

Zaydos
2011-06-01, 02:52 PM
(I'm sorry; one of them rolls above 15 every time)

They laugh and chitter something in the goblinoid tongue before both missing you.

shadowgab
2011-06-01, 07:23 PM
Lyle attack again.

Sword hit:[roll0]
Sword dmg:[roll1]

Zaydos
2011-06-01, 08:11 PM
Your blade cleaves the creature's crown (top of its head) leaving it on the ground. Its friend, a surprisingly tenacious creature ((I rolled a moral check; it got an 18)) attacks you but misses miserably.

shadowgab
2011-06-02, 04:27 PM
Lyle then attack the last creature

sword hit [roll0]
sword dmg [roll1]

Zaydos
2011-06-02, 09:15 PM
It easily sidesteps and slashes at you, cutting your pants legs but missing your flesh.

shadowgab
2011-06-03, 01:04 PM
Lyle do attack again the creature

[roll0]
[roll1]

Zaydos
2011-06-03, 01:21 PM
Your blade chips its skull and cuts its head badly, and the creature falls to the ground.

shadowgab
2011-06-03, 01:46 PM
After that skirmish, Lyle then continue on the trail of the gremlins into the forest.

Zaydos
2011-06-03, 03:40 PM
It leads straight into the cave up ahead. The entrance is narrow with rocky outcroppings but you should be able to move through it, even if you will have to squeeze in at certain spots ((Each move into or through a narrow space counts as if it were 2 squares, and while squeezed in a narrow space you take a –4 penalty on attack rolls and a –4 penalty to AC)).

Also make two more Fort saves against the secondary damage of the poison you encountered before.

shadowgab
2011-06-04, 11:35 AM
I continue onward

[roll0]
[roll1]

Zaydos
2011-06-04, 02:26 PM
As you squeeze into the tunnel you feel the aftereffects of their poison sweep across you (-3 to Atk, AC, and Reflex until noted otherwise).

What will you use for light?

shadowgab
2011-06-04, 02:34 PM
I, using a sun rod from my adventurer pack

Zaydos
2011-06-04, 02:37 PM
In hand or strapped awkwardly to your backpack? The benefit of the second is obvious, you can't carry it in hand along with a weapon or heavy/extreme shield, the benefit of the first is that you are in a narrow enough area you will often block the light if it's on your backpack.

As always this isn't a choose your own adventure book and you can try a third option.

shadowgab
2011-06-05, 04:35 PM
I try to fix it to my bag in the front (on my chest)

Zaydos
2011-06-05, 06:35 PM
It's small enough to attach without major hindrance, although it is a little awkward. As you get out of sight of the entrance you can hear the sound of creatures speaking in goblin.

shadowgab
2011-06-06, 01:58 PM
I then try to remains quiet and block the light of the sunrod with my shield and clothes.

Move Silently [roll0]
Hide [roll1]

Zaydos
2011-06-06, 02:54 PM
The voices stop as you come nearer.

Wis DC 5
Some of the light from your sunrod probably escaped alerting them. ((I used your Hide check to determine how well hidden it was))

shadowgab
2011-06-11, 11:30 PM
(Sorry but I thought you'll post back something after the last post)

I look at them to see how many there are and stand ready to fast forward to get out of the queezing wall.

Zaydos
2011-06-12, 01:18 AM
They still haven't come in sight. You can continue to where you last heard them, but all you see is a wider area about 10-ft in diameter. A stone outcropping seems to be the right height to serve one as a bench.

shadowgab
2011-06-12, 03:16 PM
I advance to the opening while hiding the light with my shield

Zaydos
2011-06-12, 05:44 PM
You reach the opening easily enough. You hear footsteps; they sound very close, but you can't be sure exactly where they came from.

shadowgab
2011-06-13, 10:34 PM
I wait and stand in full defense , waiting to see what happen with the sounds

Zaydos
2011-06-13, 10:44 PM
The sounds stop.

shadowgab
2011-06-14, 04:48 PM
I march forward lightly and look around for enemies.

Zaydos
2011-06-14, 11:18 PM
The path narrows again up ahead, forcing you to squeeze through if you are going to find enemies beyond.

shadowgab
2011-06-15, 08:04 AM
I sqeeze again and went slowly and ready my shield to block attacks (defense stance)

Zaydos
2011-06-15, 02:09 PM
You see as one of the tiny creatures materializes stabbing from beneath your shield between your legs, missing you widely, and feel as another slashes across the back of your calf (Fort save versus poison; gonna rule you aren't surprised so it's your action next, though)

Edit: Am without internet till monday.

Zaydos
2011-06-29, 02:35 PM
*poke* you still interested? been back for a while... just been waiting for you.

shadowgab
2011-06-29, 03:12 PM
Sorry, i will post tonight (edit this one). *Still interested*

Zaydos
2011-06-30, 11:35 AM
Eh, just make a new post, it's easier for both of us to notice that way.