PDA

View Full Version : Need a wireless "something"

Groundhog
2011-05-22, 01:45 PM
There are two computers in my house. One has hardwired internet, and the wireless router sits right next to it. The other has a WiFi adapter, but because the shortest route from the router to the adapter passes through at least four walls, the signal is ridiculously weak.

I know that some device exists that receives a WiFi signal and rebroadcasts it more strongly, which would solve this problem if placed in a more central location in my house. My question is: What is that thing called?

factotum
2011-05-22, 04:25 PM
You're probably looking for a wireless repeater, or else putting some network cable through the walls and setting up a second wireless access point.

Jack Squat
2011-05-22, 08:35 PM
yeah, it's a wireless repeater. I wasn't able to find one in brick-and-mortar stores whenever I looked, but they should be relatively easy to find online.

If you're going to snake cables, might as well just do it all the way to the other computer and get the extra speed.

Groundhog
2011-05-23, 10:23 AM
Unfortunately, snaking cables isn't an option, since that would require me to run the cables through my kitchen, and my parents wouldn't be too happy about that. But I'll look for a repeater.

Thanks!

Kislath
2011-05-24, 12:53 PM
A big bad N600 router should be able to punch through 4 walls no problem, so that might be an option for you.