PDA

View Full Version : My first Shadowrun Character

Siegel
2011-05-22, 02:00 PM
Hello Playgrounders,

i will play Shadowrun sometimes soon and just created my first character. I used the priority system from Runners Compendium (much easier)

The goal for this character is to be a Chameleon and Face for the group, he is a Ki Adept.

Attributes

Physical
Agility 3
Body 3
Reaction 3
Strengh 2

Mental
Charisma 4
Intuition 4
Logic 3
Willpower 3

Special
Essence 6
Edge 2
Magic 5

Skills

Influence Skill Group 4
Stealth Skill Group
Pistols 5
Disguise 5
Dodge 4
Escape Artist 2
Running 2
Swimming 1
Climbin 1
First Aid 3
Forgery 1
Palming 2
Perception 3
Survival 1
Jumping 1
Gymnasitics 1

Knowledge

unremarable résumé 3
Cop Trids 2
Matrix Conspiracys 2
Building Securitys 2
Magictheory 1
Good Food 1
Englisch 1
Or‘Zet 1
Japanese 1
German Mothertongue

Adept Powers

Enhanced Perception 2
Mystic Armor 2
voice Control
Eidetic Sense Memory
Commanding voice
Fascial Sculpt 3
Melanin Control
Nimble Fingers
Linguistics
Improve Ability 2 Negotiation
Improve Ability 1 Con
Improve Ability 1 Disguise

Items :

Fake Sin 1, Chameleon Suit, Metalin Com, Livestyle 1 (2,600)
Glasses with low light, vision enhacement 3, thermographic, vision
magnification
Morrisey Alta heavy pistol with lasersight and silencer
Morrisey Elan hold-out pistol
Medkit 2
Glue Sprayer
Headphones

Qualities :
Computer Iliterate + 5
Vindictive + 10

Common Sense -5
First impression -5

i have 5 BP for a positive quality. Any idea ?

What do you generaly think about the character ? Okay as it is ? What can i improve ?

Morghen
2011-05-22, 02:25 PM
A couple of thoughts:
-Having Common Sense is GREAT for a first-time player. Good stuff.
-I don't have my books in front of me, but that seems like a TON of powers for having a Magic of 5. Are you sure you have the math right on that?
-Look into Kinesics for your Face. It's good. Like, GOOD. It's in the Core Book.
-Looking at your skills, you seem to covering the Covert Infiltration jobs as well. Is that what you're going for? But maybe I just see Chameleon as different than CI. For me, Chameleon/Face is "Walk into the building during lunchtime with that other guy's ID" and CI is "Climb up the side of the building at midnight". You've got both of those skills. I'd say leave the covert stuff to your Sam.
-Pistols at 5 seems to be a lot for this character. When I've been the Face in the past, I've done everything in my power to stay away from fighting. Your group may need you in the thick of things, but if not, I'd recommend dropping that down to 3 at the max.
-Face needs a Charisma over 9,000.
-I'd recommend at least 1 point in Unarmed Combat. Dodge is nice, but having to default to a Strength of 2 is going to get you in trouble.

TheCountAlucard
2011-05-22, 02:35 PM
Your lack of skill with computers is likewise going to prove problematic if you intend to play a chameleon-type role - you might be able to socially fake your way through it a few times, but sooner or later, someone will probably realize something's up when their "chief of security" can't drag-and-drop. :smalltongue:

Also, having just one rank in a language gives you a pretty poor grasp of it as a whole; I can see it being troublesome if said character has difficulty with topics more complex than asking where the bathroom is. :smalleek:

Siegel
2011-05-22, 03:24 PM
Jst the cost of the powers from my spreadsheat :

1 1
0,5 2
0,75 3
0,25 4
0,25 5

more later...

comicshorse
2011-05-22, 06:03 PM
Jst the cost of the powers from my spreadsheat :

1 1

more later...

that makes 1.5 not 1

nows7
2011-05-22, 10:07 PM
Hello Playgrounders,

i will play Shadowrun sometimes soon and just created my first character. I used the priority system from Runners Compendium (much easier)

The goal for this character is to be a Chameleon and Face for the group, he is a Ki Adept.

Skills

Influence Skill Group 4
Stealth Skill Group
Pistols 5
Disguise 5
Dodge 4
Escape Artist 2
Running 2
Swimming 1
Climbin 1
First Aid 3
Forgery 1
Palming 2
Perception 3
Survival 1
Jumping 1
Gymnasitics 1

You have the stealth skill group, but have Palming and Disguise at two wildly diffrent values. Are you counting the skill group at 4 AND palming at two AND disguise at 5?

Running 2? Jumping 1, Gymnastics 1, Swimming 1 Climbing 1? As a face, you should be walking your way in, not jumping onto the roof.

Survival 1? Ditch it, Get use computer. Escape artist 2? If you're in handcuffs, you're already boned. Ditch it, get data search. Couple ranks in each, the haker should be handleing most of it. Just enough to be able to survive.

Forgery 1? Everything is either digital or has RFID chips. Without computer use you're not fooling anyone. Your Hacker should have a few ranks in this, with his computer skill to do the heavy lifting.

Knowledge

unremarable résumé 3
Cop Trids 2
Matrix Conspiracys 2
Building Securitys 2
Magictheory 1
Good Food 1
Englisch 1
Or‘Zet 1
Japanese 1
German Mothertongue

Not sure what "unremarable resume" is as a knowedge. Ditch it?

You should have English 4 if not native. Some DM's wont allow you to roll higher than your rating on what you are speaking. Consider using Linguistics the adept power to pick up various languages at rating 1 for no karma during play.

Finally, as a face, you should have something to talk about with everyone. I see "good food" so, thats taken care of, perhaps "Urban Brawl" for the unwashed masses / gangers?

Adept Powers

Enhanced Perception 2
Mystic Armor 2
voice Control
Eidetic Sense Memory
Commanding voice
Fascial Sculpt 3
Melanin Control
Nimble Fingers
Linguistics
Improve Ability 2 Negotiation
Improve Ability 1 Con
Improve Ability 1 Disguise

each of your improved abilities cost .25pp right? You have four of them for a total of 1pp. That pp can be used for two levels of kinethetics (sp?) for a +2 on any opposed influence skill group check... including your comanding voice. (BTW You are going to love comanding voice. "Go play in traffic” was my favorite)

Nimble fingers, probably not. I have never seen palming come into play.

Facial scuplt 3, melanin control. You've got 5 in disguise right now. That is pretty danm good, so why spend PP for something you can buy out of a kit for nuyen? Nanopaste Disguise will serve you well.

Mystic Armor 2 is not as good as Combat Sense 2. One helps you absorb damage, the other helps you avoid ALL damage or at least reduce their net his - thus reducing damage anyway. Both would give two dice, but one lets you reduce damage, the other reduces damage, prevents all damage, and helps you in the surprise round.

Eventually, your going to want extra initiative passes, so consider saving up for those.

Items :

Fake Sin 1, Chameleon Suit, Metalin Com, Livestyle 1 (2,600)
Glasses with low light, vision enhacement 3, thermographic, vision
magnification
Morrisey Alta heavy pistol with lasersight and silencer
Morrisey Elan hold-out pistol
Medkit 2
Glue Sprayer
Headphones

Get +3 audio enhancement on your earbuds, and a smartlink on your gun. +2 to your attacks are worth it.

Glue sprayer? I get why you’re picking it up, but it’s not going to work like a spell, fixing them in place. Easier to just shoot them.

Stick and shock – Non-lethal ammo is very usful.

A rating one SIN will get you on the bus, won’t get you served at a decent restaurant without a hefty bribe. No one is going to believe that “Hugh Jwang” is your real name. Get a rating 4 at least, with a couple other rating 2-3’s to give people. You’re a face, you’ll be giving your (or a) name often. Don’t forget to pick up fake weapon permits, security contractor licenses, etc.

Qualities :
Computer Iliterate + 5
Vindictive + 10

Common Sense -5
First impression -5

i have 5 BP for a positive quality. Any idea ?

Computer Illiterate Is. Not. Worth. It. Middle of a firefight, and need to send your partners a message for help? Make a use computer test as an action, and you’re only going to be defaulting to two dice.. Oh, if either is a one, you’ll be glitching at the very least. Not worth 5bp.

Pick up a mild allergy and mild prejudice. Sensitive neural structure, and Sensitive system are great for most any caster, particularly if you’re not using Simsense or getting implants.

Linguist, Bilingual, Erased, and Blandness, are decent choices. Photographic memory might be a alright choice if you can’t figure out any other qualities. That would free you to get rid of the adept memory power, and replace it with something else.

What do you generaly think about the character ? Okay as it is ? What can i improve ?

What are you looking to do? Combat? Infiltration? Face? You have only one initiative pass at the moment, so you won’t be a combat monster even with that 5 in pistols. You’ve got a lot of “just in case” things like escape artist, palming, and swim, get rid of them and get things you WILL use instead.

Contacts are really important to a face. Who you know can be better than what you know. Consider upping gear and contacts.

This was WAY more than I intended to write…

Earthwalker
2011-05-23, 02:17 AM
It all looks quiet good. I have to agree with what others have said and try try to lose the computer illiterate thing.

Its going to make life very difficult. So much of the world of 2070 is governed by computer, your not always going to be able to "convince" someone else to do it for you.

Siegel
2011-05-23, 12:35 PM
I kept some of you suggestions in mind when i redid the char. He might still not be completly optional (that wasn't my goal) but should be able to perform his role and still has his quirks.

Thanks for reminding me on the thing with disguise/palming and the infiltration skill group - a stupid mistake i made.

I have facial sculpt and melanin control because it is cool. I could do the same things with technology sure but i like to be able to do it that way.
I ditched nimble fingers because reloading as a free action shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I'm thinking of ditching the chamaleon armor for 1 or two sins more. I asked my GM about it and he said having a lot of high quality SINs shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Can someone give me a quick rundown on how a smartlink works in the fluff and mechanics wise ?

I changed

I like the glue sprayer because it's a quirky little thing i can suprise my GM with. Having some little cool gadgets is something i like in SW-SAGA and i want to do that here too. Does anyone have other cool gadgets ? I was honestly a bit underwhelmed with the "other equipment" section in the Arsenal.

Just the things that have changed :

Adept Powers :

Enhanced Perception 2
Combat Sense
voice Control
Eidetic Sense Memory
Commanding voice
Fascial Sculpt 2
Linguistics
kinesics 3
Melanin Control

Skills :

Influence 4
Con Etiquette Leadership Negotiation

Stealth 4
Disguise Infiltration Palming Shadowing

Data Search 4
Dodge 4
Perception 4
Computer Use 4
Intimidation 4
Pistols 3
First Aid 3
Running 1
Swimming 1
unarmend combat 1
Jumping 1

Knowledge

Cop Trids 2
Matrix conspiracys. 2
building security 2
Magic theorie 1
good food 2
underground techno 2
Englisch 3
German mothertongue

Qualities :
outspoken Prejudice : Hackers, (Technomancers) + 10
Vindictive + 10

Common Sense -5
First impression -5

Autolykos
2011-05-24, 06:37 PM
One of the most common beginner mistakes is not bringing enough grenades (you should stick to the less-lethal variants like Shock, Flashpacks, Neurostun or Smoke - leave the dangerous stuff to your Sammy; you'll sometimes work alone, so you can't always rely on him though). There are literally hundreds of uses for those little buggers, most of them only obvious in the exact situation you'll need them for.

The Glyphstone
2011-05-24, 07:29 PM
Notably, that nonlethal weaponry is always good as a first resort. If you kill everyone in your path, your notoriety will skyrocket, and corps will be a lot faster to take you out pre-emptively than if you only stun/disable their personnel.

LibraryOgre
2011-05-25, 10:23 AM
Notably, that nonlethal weaponry is always good as a first resort. If you kill everyone in your path, your notoriety will skyrocket, and corps will be a lot faster to take you out pre-emptively than if you only stun/disable their personnel.

Also, in 4e, electrical effects (like tasers, shock batons and shock gloves) are hella effective... even if they've planned for them, one box of damage is often enough to ruin their day.