PDA

View Full Version : [3.x] Minions?

Telasi
2011-05-22, 03:59 PM
Hi, all. I'm currently DMing a Pathfinder game with 3.5 material, and I was wondering if there's any sort of mechanic for making individually weak NPCs that can still potentially pose a threat to the party in combat. Is there something I can use besides fiat or counting on rolling 20s? If you know of one, please give the source so I can look it up. Thanks!

-Telasi

Moriato
2011-05-22, 04:12 PM
Sounds like you want a 3.5 version of 4e minions. They're the same as other creatures in most respects, but have only 1hp each. EDIT: (Duh, yeah, title) Problem with doing that in 3.5 is that there's a lot more area effect spells and abilities, that hit much larger areas, making it a lot easier to take down lots of them at once.

I would simply give them low CON WIS and DEX, but high STR, meaning that they'll have low HP, AC, and saves, so they'll go down easy, but a good chance to hit and good damage.

LOTRfan
2011-05-22, 04:15 PM
I made a Taskmaster PrC.

Pretty much, its supposed single tough creature the power to make low level critters more of a threat. If you are interested, I shall post a link.

Telasi
2011-05-22, 04:19 PM
Yeah, I basically want NPC mook soldiers who are just a bit tougher than 4e minions. Worst comes to worst, I can fiat them down to whatever HP and saves I want, but I was really hoping that there's some sort of template for this.

LOTRfan, I'll have a look, but I don't particularly want to start having to give a weird homebrew PrC to every leader in my campaign. Adds to my paperwork, you see.

LOTRfan
2011-05-22, 04:25 PM
Alright. Well, it's here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10943057&postcount=1).

If you want to do this often though, I suggest this template:

Minion
Minion is an aquired template that can be added to any creature.

Hit Dice: HD remains the same, but all minion creatures get 2 hp per HD.
Abilities: All creatures get a -2 on all physical ability scores.
Challenge Rating: 1-10 HD -1; 11-20 HD -2; 20+ -3.
Level Adjustment: -----

Moriato
2011-05-22, 04:26 PM
It also occurs to me that a wizard or sorcerer with very few or no defensive spells, but lots of offensive ones would fit that bill pretty well.

I could see an evil-aligned wizard's guild doing this with their lower ranking members, teaching them only offensive spells, making them powerful killers but easy to get rid of should the need arise.

Telasi
2011-05-22, 04:29 PM
Thanks, LOTRfan. That template is close to the sort of thing I'm looking for.

For mages, yes, that would work, but I'm thinking more for martial type characters.

Greenish
2011-05-22, 04:32 PM
I don't particularly want to start having to give a weird homebrew PrC to every leader in my campaign.So give them bard levels (or just IC/DFI). :smalltongue:

LOTRfan
2011-05-22, 04:32 PM
Yeah, I'm just sorry we can't give you an official template. I honestly can't think of a template (besides Incarnate Construct) that was meant to make foes less efficient in combat. :smallfrown:

Telasi
2011-05-22, 04:35 PM
Still, homebrew by someone else is better than me trying to make things up. At least I get to pass the blame on this way :smallsmile:. Kidding, of course, thank you.

Dalek-K
2011-05-22, 04:35 PM
Elven Monks Lvl X with 21 pt buy for stats...

Give them the feat that allows them to attack with dex.
Give them a really good Str score
Decent Wisdom

Horrible Int, Cha, and Con. With the Elven -2 to Con...

These should be able to put up some fight but not last to long :p

EDIT: The saves might be a bit high so you could just go unarmed fighters with the same idea as above :P...

Jude_H
2011-05-22, 04:41 PM
At least until level 10ish, aid another is enough to make groups of mooks threatening.

If you're looking for rules to port in, Trailblazer's Aid mechanics could also help, but they're part of a big mechanical alteration that changes a whole lot of things about 3e combat.

Canarr
2011-05-24, 05:32 AM
Go the other direction: instead of nerfing higher-level NPCs, use standard, low-level mooks and boost 'em up through single-use magic items. Potions of Heroism and Enlarge Person, scrolls of Haste, scrolls of Summon Monster (higher level than they could cast on their own), poisoned arrows/weapons & potions of True Strike... that's just off the top of my head.

Work through a few splatbooks, and you should have no problems coming up with several ideas how to make your mooks challenging opponents for one fight.