PDA

View Full Version : Besm + 3.5 D&d

Dalek-K
2011-05-22, 04:19 PM
So a friend of mine will be starting a campaign this fall which will be D&D 3.5. However I bought BESM for $5.00 at the local store and in jest said "hey could I use this since it is 3.5?" (or something along those lines haha)

He said yes

I'm not sure how compatible the two are or if it will break anything... Of course he already approved of a Bard/Sorcerer combo that used bardic music to cast spells (crap ton of spells O_O )... So I don't think power will be an issue. I have never played BESM 3.5 or well any of the previous games.

I'm looking at my book right now and I'm wondering what I should do... The three that I'm interested in so far are...

Adventurer
Shapechanger
Student

IMPORTANT
I'm not really a power gamer or at least I don't want to be. :smalltongue:
IMPORTANT

However I do want to be able to be useful

blazingshadow
2011-05-22, 04:24 PM
can i ask what is BESM?

Dalek-K
2011-05-22, 04:26 PM
Big Eyes Small Mouth....

3.5 anime rpg tabletop game...Yes it is a bit silly :)

DMfromTheAbyss
2011-05-22, 05:37 PM
Well first of all the system is a bit different in that you have weapon skills.. so yeah take skill points for to hit with x-type of weapon. I believe there are also defence skills.. so might want to bring that up with your GM as that could lead to "compatability" issues. Though that's relatively minor compared to the other hijinks you "could" do.

Such as some of the powers and such can also easily lead to being increadibly overpowered. liketake the Jumping power (1 point) for a +20 to jump a few times.. then take the leap attack feat in this book for simple hideous damage

Also taking special attack(s), can depending on the details be increadibly fun/broken/awesome/wrong. Everything from stat draining to simply doing an assinine number of d6's per melee hit.

Special defences and DR are also a bit out of whack for a "normal" D&D 3.5 game.

Nevermind the potential uses and abuses of a modular flaw system.

So yeah there is a ot of potental for things to go sideways.

That being said if the DM is running something fairly optimized and or weird it could work out.

Stix
2011-06-05, 03:26 PM
yes if it's the besm i've played it will break the hell out of any 3 or 3.5 game. if nothing else for 1 stat that exists in besm and not d&d: damage multiplier. not to mention that besm is a d6 tristat system. i'm not sure how the systems or abilities would mesh at all.

almost any ability from besm 3.0 at least will be horribly op

Pika...
2011-06-05, 07:06 PM
BESM for $5?

Congrats, you just made like $95. :smalltongue:

Jeraa
2011-06-05, 07:11 PM
yes if it's the besm i've played it will break the hell out of any 3 or 3.5 game. if nothing else for 1 stat that exists in besm and not d&d: damage multiplier. not to mention that besm is a d6 tristat system. i'm not sure how the systems or abilities would mesh at all.

almost any ability from besm 3.0 at least will be horribly op

He is most likely talking about the d20 version of BESM. Link (http://www.amazon.com/BESM-Revised-Anime-Role-Players-Handbook/dp/1894938526/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1307319035&sr=8-1)

Or here (http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/animesrd.html) for the SRD, as it is Open Content. (BESM d20 is also called d20 Anime)

Arbane
2011-06-05, 09:16 PM
Disclaimer: I don't know the rules at all.

If it was me, I'd probably play Shapeshifter - that sounds like fun.