PDA

View Full Version : paranoia what players should know

throtecutter
2011-05-22, 05:37 PM
Hello comrades

My playgroup is willing to give Paranoia a try, and I was wondering if there was some website that I could direct them to to get the basic setting of the game.
Preferably somewhere that doesn't have a GM's section, so I don't have to brain-scrub my players. I hear it can get messy.

Thanks for any information

Kylarra
2011-05-22, 05:41 PM
All they need to know is:

Friend Computer is your Friend.
Obey Friend Computer.
Fun is Mandatory.
Destroy Communists.
Destroy [unregistered] Mutants.
Destroy Traitors.
Destroy all members of secret societies.
Clearance levels range from Red to --<post terminated>

ClockShock
2011-05-22, 06:18 PM
They don't need to know the rules so try a short story to get an idea of the setting and what might be expected.

dsmiles
2011-05-22, 06:55 PM
Players aren't really allowed to know the rules, per se. It is common to lose several clones during the mission brief.

Friend computer is your friend. (Please don't termina---

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-22, 06:59 PM
The Little Red Book will reveal all they need to know at their current security level.

throtecutter
2011-05-22, 07:01 PM
OK thanks,
I know they aren't supposed to know the rules.
I just wanted to make sure I didn't forget to tell them something important that they really should know.

Kylarra that list looks great.

Thank you

Greylond
2011-05-22, 07:04 PM
"Forgetting" to tell them a rule or element of the society is a common tactic and very easy way to KILL the Commie Traitor Troubleshooters!

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-22, 07:08 PM
It is very important to have a distinct Friend Computer voice, the players need to know the difference between you as the GM and as Friend Computer.

Kurald Galain
2011-05-22, 07:25 PM
Hello comrades
Comrades? Comrades? Are you some kind of communist???!! Please report to the nearest termination booth!

:smalltongue: The proper term is "Citizens".

Preferably somewhere that doesn't have a GM's section, so I don't have to brain-scrub my players. I hear it can get messy.
Both Wikipedia and TVtropes have a decent article on the subject. I find that it helps if the players know a little bit about the setting, if not the rules. For example, they should know what the clearance levels are.

Incidentally, it's okay if your players know the rules. However, if they show this knowledge, then they get laser'ed.

Zanzanar
2011-05-22, 07:30 PM
They don't need to know anything at the start. Just run them through a short adventure and explain what they did wrong every time they die. By the end, they should have a pretty good picture of the setting.

Greylond
2011-05-22, 08:02 PM
It is very important to have a distinct Friend Computer voice, the players need to know the difference between you as the GM and as Friend Computer.

Heh, why?...

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-22, 08:14 PM
Well, as the GM, I want the game to be fun for everyone. Friend Computer has different goals.

DontEatRawHagis
2011-05-22, 08:38 PM
Someone has posted a list of information all people should know about Paranoia consolidated onto 2 pages. First is about the general atmosphere and the second is the game mechanics. I am currently looking for it though i have a copy printed out somewhere.

Edit:
Here it is.
http://aterribleidea.com/Paranoia/The_World_Of_Paranoia.pdf

boomwolf
2011-05-22, 08:58 PM
Friend Computer DOES want you to have fun, he also seeks to protect you and guide you through your life. please obey Fried Computer citizen, its for your own good.

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-22, 10:16 PM
Yeah, but Friend Computer also tells you that you are a traitor and must be executed forthwith.

rayne_dragon
2011-05-22, 10:31 PM
There was a one shot I played in once where the GM didn't give us any kind of lead-in (and this was the first time I'd played Paranoia). It started off with him saying "You hear a loud buzzing sound, what do you do?" and going from there (with someone getting executed for their response).

Basically all people need to know is that the Computer is in charge and commies, mutants, traitors (secret society members) need to be executed. Plus that they're clones and have X lives. Honestly, it's almost more fun to give people as little information as possible and make them learn by experience (which in Paranoia usually means dying).

DontEatRawHagis
2011-05-22, 10:53 PM
Honestly, it's almost more fun to give people as little information as possible and make them learn by experience (which in Paranoia usually means dying).

I did my first one shot of Paranoia like this and it ended up being too much Zap.

The main difference between styles for me is the punishments for players. Anyone have tips for doing a classic game style?

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-22, 11:00 PM
Bureaucracy is king, forms, forms, forms. Think Douglas Adams if you get stuck.
Players must have proof that someone is a traitor and they must prove their case to the Loyalty Officer and/or Friend Computer. This does include fabrication.
Tell your players to take their MDB seriously, especially the Loyalty Officer.

CapnVan
2011-05-23, 03:22 AM
I did my first one shot of Paranoia like this and it ended up being too much Zap.

The main difference between styles for me is the punishments for players. Anyone have tips for doing a classic game style?

" 'I speak without fear of contradiction...' is the opening sentence of the ideal de-briefing."

From "Treasonous Jive That'll Keep You Alive"

Kurald Galain
2011-05-23, 06:45 AM
I like Zap :smallbiggrin:

That said, if you want a more Classic game, there are several books and films you could use for inspiration. For example, Brave New World, or Brazil, or that Asterix film with the "House That Drives You Mad", any Futurama episode that focuses on Hermes, or keep an eye on the "house points" system in the first books of Harry Potter. Also, there's a pretty good Paranoia novel called "Title Deleted For Security Reasons" (no, really!)

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-23, 06:21 PM
Hitchhikers aslo helps, particularly the Vogons, and 1984.

TheCountAlucard
2011-05-24, 05:57 AM
Actually, since we're on the subject...

One of my friends has been interested in learning to GM. I suggested he start with a nice, rules-light system, and then it hit me: how about Paranoia?

Is this a good idea? :smallbiggrin: For one, he's already a pretty humorous guy, and my one experience running Paranoia turned out quite well, so it just seemed natural to suggest it... :smallsmile:

Aidan305
2011-05-24, 06:24 AM
I think that the first thing I'd check would be "has he played it before?". In my experience, Paranoia can be tricky to GM when you don't know what you're getting yourself in for. While it's an easy system, it's also the epitome of the player doing something unexpected, which can make life tricky for an inexperienced GM.

Kurald Galain
2011-05-24, 06:29 AM
One of my friends has been interested in learning to GM. I suggested he start with a nice, rules-light system, and then it hit me: how about Paranoia?
That depends on one thing: how good is this guy at improvising? In my experience, Paranoia plays best with a DM who's winging it most of the time.

TheCountAlucard
2011-05-24, 06:57 AM
has he played it before?Nope, but I'm trying to help him in those regards. :smallamused:

That depends on one thing: how good is this guy at improvising?I've seen him improvise pretty well as a player; the whole point is, the guy's never ran a game before.

Kylarra
2011-05-24, 09:57 AM
I'm not sure paranoia is the best game for that really.

It is loads of [Mandatory] Fun, but I feel that Paranoia is not the best experience for the beginning GM. The whole mindset of Paranoia is good for the new GM to experience, but I'm not sure it is best for the first experi- <post terminated at this point>

Codenpeg
2011-05-24, 10:34 AM
Someone has posted a list of information all people should know about Paranoia consolidated onto 2 pages. First is about the general atmosphere and the second is the game mechanics. I am currently looking for it though i have a copy printed out somewhere.

Edit:
Here it is.
http://aterribleidea.com/Paranoia/The_World_Of_Paranoia.pdf

That is a truly excellent primer for the game. Thank you very much citizen, your assistance shall be noted to Friend Computer. I've been considering picking up Troubleshooters and starting a group myself. Here are some of the other links I've found that might be helpful:

http://www.paranoia-live.net/news.php
http://home.comcast.net/~tirdun/paranoia/index.html

Forms:
http://www.paranoia-live.net/forms/cpucentral.htm
http://www.crd-sector.com/uv/download/index.htm

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-24, 05:35 PM
I agree, once your friend has GMed he'll realise that Paranoia is the game every GM wants to run.

TheCountAlucard
2011-05-24, 06:00 PM
please obey Fried Computer citizen, its for your own good.(bolded for emphasis)

Please report to the nearest termination booth, citizen. Spelling mistakes are treason. Remember, Friend Computer is your friend.