PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Jones?

ExemplarofAvg
2011-05-22, 07:50 PM
My group is trying to make characters based on characters from movies and whatnot, I would like to be Indiana Jones, but I have no ideas on how to make the build, ideas/advice/links to builds.

Greenish
2011-05-22, 07:53 PM
Factotum. :smalltongue:

Or bard, or wilderness rogue, or some other skill monkey of choice. I'd just go with Factotum.

Veyr
2011-05-22, 07:54 PM
Factotum is most definitely the choice for Indy. It was basically designed for him.

McSmack
2011-05-22, 07:59 PM
I'd go with rogue. Perhaps a dip in ranger. A level of monk would work well here, Indie wears no armor, is amazing at fisticuffs, and is known for being quick on his feet. Then I'd look at the Extreme Explorer from the Eberron Campaign Setting.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-05-22, 07:59 PM
Hmm, Factotum, now please do not smite me, but how does it work, I've seen it mentioned just about everywhere but I'm not sure how to play it. I should probably state the main idea, I want a character who can be the face of the party, decent combat, and great saves all around.

edit
Also how do Action points work, just a rough explanation because my party doesn't use them and I'd need to sell my DM on them.

The-Mage-King
2011-05-22, 08:09 PM
Basically? It's an Int-based jack of all trades. It can fight, it can sneak, it can use a couple of spells, and it can heal a bit.

It just doesn't do them all as good as the class that specializes in them.

Other things of note: It has all skills as class skills, and can boost any skill check it makes by its factotum level, 1/day/skill. At level three, it uses Int in addition to it's Str/Dex scores on any check based on the aforementioned physical scores. So you get Int to Init as well.

It mostly works off a mechanic called "Inspiration". It's measured in points, you use it up to activate class features, and it replenishes between encounters.

Also, level 8, you can get extra standard actions. 8D

EDIT: Action points- these are the power of plot making you less bad. Basically, you say "I'm using an Action Point", roll a set number of d6s, and add the best of them to your check, be it an attack roll or a simple skill check. There are some abilities that let you use them for other stuff, like getting a rerolled save.

Rei_Jin
2011-05-22, 08:20 PM
Also, consider taking at least a dip into the Lasher Prestige Class (3.0, from the Sword and Fist book) as it gives you all sorts of funky tricks you can do with your Whip. Very Indy-ish.

Veyr
2011-05-22, 08:22 PM
There's also a Skill Trick in Complete Scoundrel for whips that was designed with Indiana Jones in mind.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-05-22, 08:23 PM
So does a Human Fighter 2/Factotum3/Extreme Explorer 5, sound Indie-esque?
Fighter for feats and Hp as well as Bab, then Factotum for the skills and other fun abilities. Now, how do I make a Whip and a Hand Crossbow (I think it would be similar to Indies pistol) Work?

Zonugal
2011-05-22, 09:19 PM
I have always been of the opinion that a Riklan rogue was a pretty good foundation for Indy. Skills, sneak attack, bardic knowledge...

But regarding Indy's fighting check out Improved Unarmed Strike (Indy is more of a brawler, he isn't superb at unarmed combat). Now hand crossbows? The feat Hand Crossbow Focus from Drow of the Underdark is the feat you NEED.

veven
2011-05-23, 12:52 AM
So does a Human Fighter 2/Factotum3/Extreme Explorer 5, sound Indie-esque?
Fighter for feats and Hp as well as Bab, then Factotum for the skills and other fun abilities. Now, how do I make a Whip and a Hand Crossbow (I think it would be similar to Indies pistol) Work?

Hand Crossbow focus is great.

I would make factotum 1 your first level for the extra skill points. Factotum has a D8 hit dice so you are only loosing 2 hp and gaining 16 skill points.

I would recommend taking the able learner feat from Races of Destiny. This combined with factotum essentially means that all skills are class skills for you for ever, regardless of any multi-classing.

I also suggest taking a look at the Thug fighter variant

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm

You loose your first level bonus feat but you get a couple extra skill points.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-23, 12:53 AM
Whip Bard with wands/rods/staffs for guns.

Greenish
2011-05-23, 12:54 AM
I also suggest taking a look at the Thug fighter variant

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm

You loose your first level bonus feat but you get a couple extra skill points.I'd rather take feat rogue 2. Way more skillpoints and Evasion (Indy totally has Evasion). One BAB here, one there, who's counting?

Also, don't forget a nice hat.

veven
2011-05-23, 01:13 AM
I'd rather take feat rogue 2. Way more skillpoints and Evasion (Indy totally has Evasion). One BAB here, one there, who's counting?

Also, don't forget a nice hat.

Wup, forgot about the good ole' feat rogue. I am seconding this suggestion. I've been playin' a dungeon crasher thug for a few weeks so that was the first thing that came to mind.