PDA

View Full Version : 3.X Class needed, Evil healer

Stanlee
2011-05-22, 08:40 PM
So, we are staring a new campaign and our DM is very open to pulling stuff from random references as long as it is balanced and makes sense. Now I was thinking of playing a Paladin type character, only a bit more evil. These guys will be soldiers in an army and I want this guy to always be just shy of the grey and doing bad things. More importantly I want him to focus most of his abilities on healing making him a good healer (medic), but at a cost. I want him to pull his healing abilities by sucking the life out of others. The reason I was thinking Paladin are two reasons, 1) I dont want to be a cleric, too many spells, I want to keep it very figherish simple, 2) Lay on hands. I was thinking of sort of using lay on hands as a healing pool where he can eighter pull life force by sucking the remainign life out of other npcs, or by sacrificing his own health to replenish his pool of healing. I see these are some alternative pally builds in Unearthed Arcana. I wanted to know if anyone was aware of anything that may be close to what I am looking for in any other books.

Greenish
2011-05-22, 08:49 PM
There's a psionic power somewhere that heals others but costs you hp, I seem to recall. Couple that with the vampiric blade/claws of the vampire on psywarr.

[Edit]: Crusader, of course, heals by hitting people.

Rei_Jin
2011-05-22, 08:51 PM
It depends on what level you're starting at, and what sources your DM will allow.

Best thing I can think of, is the Shadow Sun Ninja Prestige Class from Tome of Battle. You could qualify for it by level 5, meaning that if you're starting at level 6, you'd have "Touch of the Shadow Sun", allowing you to harm someone else in one round, then heal another person of the amount you harmed the first one.

EDIT: The alignment restriction on the Prestige Class does say "any good" but I don't see why it has to be there. Your DM may be willing to waive it.

Jjeinn-tae
2011-05-22, 09:05 PM
If homebrew's allowed (you did say random sources...) there is the Lifeweaver (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140211) by Rauthiss. Always looked interesting to me but I've never tried it.

Urpriest
2011-05-22, 09:46 PM
An Evil Healer...so you want...

Ur-Priest!

Well actually you don't, since they've got as much spell emphasis as clerics. But I am contractually obligated to suggest it.

Really though...if you're starting at low level, and your party is kind of evil already, try to convince them all to either be undead or take the feat Tomb-Tainted Soul. Tomb-Tainted Soul makes you be healed by negative energy. At that point, you can play a Dread Necromancer and get an at-will negative energy touch attack. Make a gish out of that via some multiclassing and prestige classes and you can be fairly fightery but still somewhat thoroughly grey.

Dylaer
2011-05-22, 09:54 PM
Rather appropriately, just before I was about to suggest Dread Necromancer, I was beaten to the punch by someone called Urpriest. I take my hat off to you sir.

As a Dread Necromancer, you'll probably want to rely on your charnel touch to melee. I'd suggest continue through the class until you get your disease touch thing, the name of which escapes me right now. Throw in Shivering touch from Frostburn as your advanced learning, and away you go.

Just as a by the way, Dread Necromancer is in Heroes of Horror.

Veyr
2011-05-22, 10:22 PM
If everyone's Undead or takes Tomb-Tainted Soul, then Dread Necromancer or Shadow Sun Ninja make a lot of sense, though a Cleric would work just as well as a Good Cleric would work in a not-undead/TTS party.

But I'm totally in favor of the Crusader. Evil Crusaders are awesome, and Devoted Spirit is probably the best in-combat healing in the game prior to Heal coming online.

Stanlee
2011-05-23, 07:26 AM
These are all great suggestions. Thanks guys. I don't know how willing the other guys will be to being undead. I think this will be a fun one.

Telonius
2011-05-23, 11:33 AM
These are all great suggestions. Thanks guys. I don't know how willing the other guys will be to being undead. I think this will be a fun one.

Who said anything about willing? :smallamused:

Person_Man
2011-05-23, 05:11 PM
You might want to consider Binder and/or Incarnate.

Dahlver-Nar vestige grants a variety of helpful abilities, with the key being Shield Self. It makes one target share 50% of your damage (Will negates). Buy a pack animal with a lot of hit points (or get a Familiar and have it hide in your belt pouch), and keep Shield Self on it continuously, and you’ve basically increased your hit points by 50%. Then in the first or second round of combat try to switch it to the most dangerous enemy. This opens up a lot of fun, because once linked, your enemy can kill itself by attacking you. Or you can kill it by attacking yourself.

Lifebond Vestments soulmeld allows you to heal someone up to Meldshaper level + (5 * essentia invested) hit points once per hour on touch, but you take 50% that amount as damage to yourself. You can do it at a range when bound to your Arms chakra, and you remove the once per hour limit if it's bound to your Heart chakra.

Theraputic Mantle soulmeld adds bonus healing equal to it's Spell level + (2*essentia invested) "Whenever you are the target of a spell or effect that heals hit point damage." The trick with this is to stack multiple healing effects, such as the Devoted Spirit maneuvers/stances, a Vampiric weapon enhancement, Fast Healing, a Spell Storing Weapon, various psionics, etc. Put them together with this soulmeld and you basically end up fully refilling your hit points every round without ever giving up a full attack.

Luckmann
2011-05-23, 07:58 PM
Who said anything about willing? :smallamused:It would be awesome to murder them in their sleep and then raise them as undead.

Imagine the shock the first time they tried to get healing and suddenly IT BURNS, AAAIIIIIEEEGH IT BURNS!

Dylaer
2011-05-23, 09:19 PM
It would be awesome to murder them in their sleep and then raise them as undead.

Imagine the shock the first time they tried to get healing and suddenly IT BURNS, AAAIIIIIEEEGH IT BURNS!

Being killed and raised is something you tend to notice. And hold grudges for. Not that I'd know. I've never murdered another PC in their sleep...:smallwink:

Telonius
2011-05-23, 11:16 PM
Being killed and raised is something you tend to notice. And hold grudges for. Not that I'd know. I've never murdered another PC in their sleep...:smallwink:

Why? Why does this always happen? Those ungrateful children rise against their creator. He's taken them in - given them the greatest gift he could possibly give. Now they'll never be cold, never go hungry, have an eternity of time to do whatever they please. But no, it's always, break out the pitchforks and torches. Abominations against nature, foul monsters, mad scientist. Honestly, it's enough to discourage a Necromancer. But don't worry about that. Don't let them get you down. You'll show them. You'll show them all. :smallamused:

Luckmann
2011-05-24, 04:22 AM

DM: Scott Murderdeath, Angus the Death-Bilger and Karrgflagath don Perignon; You all wake up after a long night's sleep in the wilderness. You feel a strange emptiness inside of you and something you cannot quite place. As if you have been hollowed-out internally, but you feel no hunger at all and the idea of breakfast doesn't even occur to you. You observe your surroundings and initially have tunnel vision - you feel as if you're looking on the world through a pool of water in a glass funnel, sounds muffled as if by a pillow. At the same time, everything appears clearer in your mind than it ever has and you feel yourself capable of analyzing every single aspect of your surroundings without emotion or distraction. As the sun rises over the hilltops, the sun glares at you stronger than it ever has. You recoil for a second as it's rays burn into your eyes, stopping just short of physically harming you.

You shake off the initial feeling of wrongness, collect your gear and break camp, although the state of complacency refuses to dissipate in it's entirety, leaving you continually restless.

*turns to 4th player*
DM: Lord Necrodeath the Backstabber, you wake up from your short sleep, well rested and ready to go. After a short breakfast, you gather your big pillow, your ritual candles and spellcasting components, collect your gear and mount your horse to leave with the others.