PDA

View Full Version : Knight 6/ Crusader 14 Build

Doom 364
2011-05-22, 08:55 PM
Hello, I'm new to the site and fairly new to D&D. I am making a character for an adventure path, and I am going to be the primary tank. My idea was to go Knight 6/ Crusader 14, and using a spiked chain + enlarge person (supplied by the party Conjurer) to increase my coverage of the grid in conjunction with the knight's third level ability to turn threatened squares into difficult terrain and the devoted spirit stance, Iron Guard's Glare, to persuade enemies to attack me.

I am wondering if The Shield Ally ability for Knight is very good, what other maneuvers and stances would be helpful, if I should use a different level split, if any other classes would be helpful, what feats would be helpful, if I should go Dwarf or some other race, or anything else that might help.

Thank you in advance!

grarrrg
2011-05-22, 10:26 PM
Hello, I'm new to the site and fairly new to D&D. I am making a character for an adventure path, and I am going to be the primary tank. My idea was to go Knight 6/ Crusader 14, and using a spiked chain + enlarge person (supplied by the party Conjurer) to increase my coverage of the grid in conjunction with the knight's third level ability to turn threatened squares into difficult terrain and the devoted spirit stance, Iron Guard's Glare, to persuade enemies to attack me.

I am wondering if The Shield Ally ability for Knight is very good, what other maneuvers and stances would be helpful, if I should use a different level split, if any other classes would be helpful, what feats would be helpful, if I should go Dwarf or some other race, or anything else that might help.

Thank you in advance!

Obligatory Knight's Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109429) link
Obligatory Crusader's Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181655) link

Dwarf is a poor choice, not horrible, but you can probably do better.
I also recommend the Dragonborn template (and if LA buyoff is allowed, then Mineral Warrior all the way).

From there it mostly depends what your starting level is going to be.
If you're starting at a low level, you may want to squeeze in a level of Crusader a little earlier.
Shield Ally loses usefulness as levels go up and casters and whatnot are better able to take care of themselves.
Again, lower starting point, better Shield Ally gets.

If you are starting at a higher level, then Knight 4/Crusader 16 would be better.

Dylaer
2011-05-22, 10:34 PM
Combat Reflexes/Thicket of Blades stance is another good combo, although not one that synergises well with enlarging. I'd probably grab White Raven Tactics, which is a great manuever, second only to Iron Heart Surge (I can't remember if Crusaders get Iron Heart). White Racen in general is useful - and you need to have ranks in Diplomacy, which is never a bad thing.

If you really want to focus on area control, maybe go Changeling Crusader 4/Warshaper4/Crusader x for extra reach, fast healing, a STR and CON boost and more. Throw in the feats Abberant Blood and Inhuman Reach, and with your spiked chain you're looking at 30ft reach (15ft base, doubles with reach weapon), which is nice. I believe there is a magic item somewhere (Fiendish Codex?) to grant 5ft more base reach, for 40ft.

Upshot of the above is that everything within 40ft that takes a move - including a 5ft step, due to Thicket of Blades - is looking at an AoO.

Gwendol
2011-05-23, 05:46 AM
Human is probably a good choice for that build for the extra feat.

Get Bracers of opportunity (MIC) for +2 on AoO attack rolls

Proposed feats:
EWP spiked chain
power attack (you're melee, after all)
combat reflexes, since you threaten a lot of squares, and together with the Test of Mettle knight ability may draw upon yourself a lot of attackers

Optional
stand still: for the lockdown
mage slayer: it has its uses
hold the line
Robilar's gambit
defensive sweep

A question though to the playgrounders: does the Knight's code interfere with hitting a prone enemy (which often happens when using a trip weapon)? It is explicitly stated that a knight cannot take +2 to attack when flanking without braking the code, or strike helpless enemies. But how about prone? Should they always not take the AoO?
My personal view is that the prone enemy isn't helpless, and the knight is using his skills to gain advantage, not depending on someone elses.

I'd like to hear from others though.

AslanCross
2011-05-23, 05:55 AM
If Warforged is allowed, you should totally take that over Dwarf. It saves you a feat because you can use a normal reach weapon instead of the Exotic Spiked Chain, since you have a close-range slam attack.
You can instead take Adamantine Body and have built-in full plate and resistance to criticals at Lv 1.

The whole bunch of immunities helps as well.