PDA

View Full Version : Deadpool - Where to start?

Fawkes
2011-05-22, 09:40 PM
So, I've been getting more into comics recently, and I've been wanting to start reading Deadpool. I looked over the trade paperbacks at my local comic shop, and couldn't figure out where to start reading. What's a good jumping-off point for Deadpool?

Dylaer
2011-05-22, 09:49 PM
I'd start with the Secret Invasion trade paperback, if you can find it. Deadpool has been rebooted several times, so any of the beginning trade paperbacks would do fine.

Tanuki Tales
2011-05-22, 10:03 PM
I'd start with the Secret Invasion trade paperback, if you can find it. Deadpool has been rebooted several times, so any of the beginning trade paperbacks would do fine.

Deadpool hasn't ever really been rebooted. They just made his origin convoluted and possibly all lies; just like Joker's.

Dylaer
2011-05-22, 10:05 PM
I meant more as a comic line, rather than continuity-wise. There's "Classic Deadpool", "Deadpool", and "Deadpool: Merc with a Mouth".

thegurullamen
2011-05-22, 10:47 PM
I've only ever read one series with Deadpool--Cable and Deadpool--but I highly recommend it. There's enough Deadpool to sate that desire and Cable does a great job at anchoring the story and giving you respite from the zaniness so it doesn't become stale or annoying. Sadly, Cable doesn't stick around past issue 20 or so out of 30ish (he got drafted into the main X-Men comic around that time) and the series couldn't survive the loss of the other main character.

The last issue is one of the most Crazy Awesome things ever, though. The whole series is worth reading just for it.

Gamer Girl
2011-05-22, 11:00 PM
You'd want to start with Deadpool Classics #1. That gives you his first apprentice and the first two mini series.

Next you'd want early X-Force(I don't think they have graphic novels of them).

And The Cable and Deadpool collections.

After that...well, eh, it does not matter much. After that Deadpool just got popular and they started putting him everywhere for no reason. a lot of the stories just have Deadpool tacked on them.

In my option you can skip the whole Deadpool book itself...it was awful.

Green-Shirt Q
2011-05-25, 06:16 AM
I love all the modern Deadpool books, and highly recommend them all. All the trades by Daniel Way are pretty much self contained to themselves and, as I have found out for myself, can be read in any order and be perfectly understood. Though I like the Secret Invasion paperback myself. Plus, if it turns out you don't like it, it's a relatively small investment.

I don't really recommend Deadpool classics, because he's nothing like he is now (in fact, it didn't break the fourth wall at all into WELL late in the series). The stories are pretty good, but it only really pays off if you're willing to buy ALL of them. Particularly since they have so much continuity between them that none of them work one their own. I'd make sure you like the character first, since not everyone does as much as I do.

Oh, and Cable and Deadpool is an amazing series as well. Excellent for those people who like their intellectual comics AND silly comics, because it has a great share of both.

Also, I do not agree that Deadpool sucks after getting popular. Quite the opposite. But then again that's my opinion. I actually think Daniel Way is Deadpool's best writer (when not with Cable), while others say he's the worst. I guess it's all relative. Still, I'd check out the beginning of his numerous different series and see which writer you like best.

Tanuki Tales
2011-05-25, 11:11 AM
All I suggest is stay away from Deadpool Corps. The writing is honestly terrible, the characters are one-dimensional and an embarrassment to their normal portrayal. The only bit I like to the first volume was:

A. The description of being chucked into a star not being fatal for Wade.

B. Champion getting punked.

I honestly prefer early Deadpool to what they reduced him to now half the time.

I liked what little appearance he had in Doomwar though; it felt like a call-back to when he was written properly.

Dienekes
2011-05-25, 03:03 PM
Ahh Deadpool. I'll be honest I'm not a huge Deadpool fan so I've stayed away from a lot of his stuff (and I haven't read current comics in about 3 years so I'm incredibly behind in everything).

However, I cannot recommend Cable and Deadpool enough. Maybe read a comic or two from elsewhere to get a feel for the character of Deadpool do a quick internet check on who Cable is if you don't know and then go enjoy this series.