PDA

View Full Version : Shapechange

SlashRunner
2011-05-22, 11:07 PM
Quick question about shapechange:

On the SRD, it is stated that "Every balor carries a +1 vorpal longsword that looks like a flame or a bolt of lightning." Does this mean that when one uses Shapechange to turn into a Balor, you gain a +1 vorpal longsword?

Dylaer
2011-05-22, 11:10 PM
Yes. The +1 Vorpal Longsword is explicitly a (Su) ability, so shapechange grants it. It's stupid, broken, and cheesy, but by RAW, yes.

SlashRunner
2011-05-22, 11:11 PM
So, if I were to drop this +1 vorpal longsword, would it disappear once the duration was over?

Cog
2011-05-22, 11:13 PM
It's listed as a supernatural special attack of the form, so yes. All the ability lets you do is carry (and so wield) it, though - I'm not sure you can hand them off. Of course, there's plenty of lower-level spells that result in free wealth...

I'm pretty sure it would disappear, yes.

Dylaer
2011-05-22, 11:15 PM
Unfortunately, the answer is unclear by RAW. But any sane DM would rule yes.

SlashRunner
2011-05-22, 11:15 PM
Well...Shapechange says that any parts of your body separated from you while you're Shapechanged do not revert to their original form. Is there any creature whose hide or meat is very expensive?

Dylaer
2011-05-22, 11:19 PM
If you're looking to optimize Shapechange, there are better things to do.

1) Transform into a Zodar, which has Wish as a (Su). Next turn, transform into a different Zodar. And so on.

2) Transform into a Chronotyryn. You then get double actions per round - as in 2 move and 2 standard, or 2 full actions.

Shapechange is one of the only spells I ban outright in my games.

NNescio
2011-05-22, 11:26 PM
The dire tortoise is also a good form since it always gets a surprise round. Not so useful afterwards, but one can always change form after getting the surprise round.

Alleran
2011-05-23, 12:16 AM
2) Transform into a Chronotyryn. You then get double actions per round - as in 2 move and 2 standard, or 2 full actions.
In theory you could shed the feathers, too. As I recall, they're adamantine.