PDA

View Full Version : Myconid mushroom-men

rye0006
2011-05-23, 06:08 AM
Does anyone have any stats/ideas/sources for how you could use myconids from MM2 as a playable race? we encountered them in the last game i dm'd and one of my players really wants to roll up a myconid monk/warlock. also, with this in mind, how do natural attacks (like the myconid's slam) work with unarmed strikes?

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-05-23, 07:23 AM
Depends if they have a listed LA or not. Without a listing for LA, then assume that they aren't playable as a race. That said, the Vorbal Tribble's Trlleeltrlaa (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134937) are an LA 0[/url] mushroom man much like the Myconids, assuming those aren't playable.

As for natural attacks and unarmed strikes, on a full round attack, you can slap on natural attacks to your normal (in this case, unarmed strikes) attack routine, but then you suffer a -5 penalty to all those attacks (minus 2 with multiattack).

Malimar
2011-05-23, 07:41 AM
I do, in fact, have such an idea. (http://luduscarcerum.blogspot.com/2011/04/myconid-monster-class.html)

That combines the original monster entry, the 3.5e update to MM2, and the Savage Species guidelines for creating your own monster classes. Despite this,
1.) it is technically homebrewed so make sure you vet it thoroughly;
2.) the 3.5e update to MM2 may not have been thoroughly thought through, so that LA may be unreasonably high;
3.) make sure somebody else in the party understands Drow Sign Language, if the player don't want to be completely incommunicado or communicate entirely through charades (which, while entertaining, could get old fast).

nyarlathotep
2011-05-23, 10:00 AM
It would largely depend on the age category of then myconid they want to play. Regardless however ignore the 3.5 update LA it is stupidly high for no reason.

Mauther
2011-05-24, 02:03 PM
It's third party, but there's a 3.5 writeup for the myconids in EN Publishings War of the Burning Sky Campaign (Module 2 - Indomitable Fire Forest). i believe it includes the playable stats.

Malimar
2011-05-29, 07:09 PM
Anybody happen to know how good this ECL calculator (http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/shadows/Handbook/ECLcalc.html) is? It's the only one I could find, and didn't happen to be able to track down any of the formulae for determining proper ECL (though I didn't look very hard).

Because that calculator turns up a result that some myconids are very slightly weaker than hit dice = ECL and others are very slightly stronger than hit dice = ECL (I got, in order, +0.1, -0.6, -0.8, -0.7, +0.4, and +0.4). Which is to say, myconids should probably have no LA.

If that's true, then you can just use each myconid as a class level. In lieu of leveling up, just bump your stats up to the next myconid.

Though the level 6 is a combined total of +30 ability points, albeit distributed relatively evenly across all the abilities and thus more useful for MAD characters than SAD ones, which means they improve low-tier characters and don't improve high-tier characters (6 spell levels for +2 int, +6 wis, +6 cha? Probably not worth it, right?), so I'm tempted to label that entirely acceptable.

Zaydos
2011-05-29, 07:23 PM
For the accuracy of the LA calculator it says Plant is +0, but Plant comes with immunities to
•Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
•Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning.
•Not subject to critical hits.

Which is some pretty big boni so you'd need to put them in seperately since it doesn't seem to factor those in. It doesn't even list such immunities under special abilities, but I'd guess they're more than baatezu traits so you should probably add in those as at least one, or two, major abilities.