PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Help me fill out a Spell List

Adamantrue
2011-05-23, 08:45 AM
Teru was a simple dwarven blacksmith. He had a good wife, many children, and they all lived comfortably. He required nothing more in his life, and was the most cheer-filled dwarf in the clanhold.

Two nearby nations waged war against each other. Having been allies with both through the ages, with no allegiance towards either and an oath to not become involved, the clanhold was assured it would not be drawn into the conflict, even as it drew closer.

But as the elders assured the clan they would be safe, the most wealthy of families fled. Teru feared for his family, begging his wife to allow them to leave, but she insisted they stay.

He would never know why.

The clanhold was brutally raided, engulfed by a massive army. In those final moments, it became known that the wealthiest families had been secretly trading for supplies with the weaker nation, and had made the clanhold a target.

He awoke days later, beneath the rubble that was once his home. Teru alone survived the massacre. He gathered the remains of his family, neighbors, friends, and built a massive funeral pyre. He set it ablaze, and used its flames to forge the Hammer Vengeance.

In a single day, Teru lost everything he had known & loved. There were many he knew to be responsible for that loss, and vowed to make them answer for it.

Teru is a sort of tweaked 14th level Cleric that uses Spontaneous Casting (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm). He is very melee oriented, with an almost complete focus on his hammer (which strikes with a sound that almost seems like a church-bell). I'm hoping people can help with the spell selection.

I'm looking for spells that thematically go with his intended playstyle, and his backstory, with refluffing as-needed. For example, Holy Word (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/holyWord.htm) can be altered to have a Somatic-only component, striking the hammer against an object to produce the sound. Likewise, something like Rejection (Spell Compendium) would be the hammer striking the ground, producing a shockwave.

If I can't get enough, I can always fill out the list with other stuff (Dispel Magic, Heal, etc), but I was hoping to pick up as much thematically-appropriate stuff as possible. I should also note that Teru can't Turn/Rebuke Undead (he has a Smite ability instead), doesn't have Domain spells, and cannot inherently cast Cure or Inflict spells.

Oh yeah, and the Hammer Vengeance is an Item Familiar, functioning as a Brutal Surge Dwarvencraft Everbright Metalline Mighty Smiting Screaming Shadowstrike Slow Burst Sundering Throwing Warhammer +3 (with a Greater Crystal of Return attached).

7th: Holy Word (Somatic only, strike of the hammer to produce sound), Require 2 more
6th: Rejection (hammer striking ground causes shock wave), Require 3 more
5th: Surge of Fortune (quick prayer to the fallen clanfolk), Require 4 more
4th: Divine Power (supporting melee-centric playstyle), Require 5 more
3rd: Weapon of Energy (supporting melee-centric playstyle), Require 5 more
2nd: Require 7 more
1st: Require 7 more
Orison: Require 9 more