PDA

View Full Version : New Spell: Swift Fecundity OR Lush Recycling

Kansaschaser
2011-05-23, 10:13 AM
Okay, in our D&D game we just got transported to a world that was devestated by war. All the cities are in ruin and 200ft tall constructs roam the land destroying any biological creature. They have built factories that are poluting the skies and rivers, and all the plants are dead or dying.

We don't have access to any food supplies and we are stuck with a Favored Soul that did not take "Create Food and Water". We are all level 10, and since I'm a Transmuter, here are two spells I'm thinking about trying to create. Let me know what you guys/gals think.

I based these spells after the "Fabricate" spell.

Swift Fecundity
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 5, Druid 4
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Close (25ft. + 5ft./2 levels)
Targets: Up to 2 cu. ft./level
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You convert a few seeds and about 50 gallons of water into a fully grown plant. You must cast this spell where there is soil and visible light. If the plant is one that bears fruits or vegetables, then the plant has created 2 cubic feet of fruits or vegetables per caster level that is ready for harvest.

OR

Lush Recycling
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 5, Druid 4
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Close (25ft. + 5ft./2 levels)
Targets: Up to 2 cu. ft./level
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You convert rotting food, biological waste, rotting animal corpses, and even sewage into edible food. The amount of food you create is based on how much biological matter you have available to you. The food is nourishing edible fair. If you have ranks in Craft: Cooking, the food may be more elaborate based on your craft roll.

Edit: I ended up going with this spell. The DM was more comfortable with letting me use this spell versus the other two listed above. It worked better for my situation than the other two spells.

Alter Diet
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 3, Druid 2
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Targets: 1 creature
Duration: 10 minutes/level
Saving Throw: Yes(harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes(Harmless)

Qwertystop
2011-05-23, 10:46 AM
Seems good, but:
Swift Fecundity would allow you to grow a strawberry plant with 2 cubic feet of strawberries. That's more than the actual size of the plant.

Lush Recycling should also allow a Profesion (Chef) or (Cook) check, not just Craft (Cooking).

Kansaschaser
2011-05-23, 11:15 AM
Seems good, but:
Swift Fecundity would allow you to grow a strawberry plant with 2 cubic feet of strawberries. That's more than the actual size of the plant.

Lush Recycling should also allow a Profesion (Chef) or (Cook) check, not just Craft (Cooking).

I should probably add how many people each spell can feed depending on the caster level. As for the Strawberry plant, it would create several plants with enough strawberries to create 2 cubic feet per caster level. It wouldn't just be one big plant.

Oh yeah, that's a very good point about the professions. I'll need to add that to the description.

Gamer Girl
2011-05-23, 12:23 PM
Swift Fecundity
You convert a few seeds and about 50 gallons of water into a fully grown plant. You must cast this spell where there is soil and visible light. If the plant is one that bears fruits or vegetables, then the plant has created 2 cubic feet of fruits or vegetables per caster level that is ready for harvest.

This might be too much. It not only creates food, but it also creates a plant. With this spell any arcane spellcaster could make tons of plants. And worse you can break an economy by simply making plants that are rare for the area.

But maybe worst of all is that it does not feel like an arcane spell, a druid spell, sure, not not an arcane one.

If you do keep the spell you might want to note that it can only make normal plants, so one one uses it to make monstrous plants. You might want to make it clear that you can only make plants of the type that you have seeds for(as written now a clever player could say the transmutation effect can make any plant). You might also want to add a steep arcane cost so that type of spellcaster can't cast this spell all that much.

Lush Recycling
You convert rotting food, biological waste, rotting animal corpses, and even sewage into edible food. The amount of food you create is based on how much biological matter you have available to you. The food is nourishing edible fair. If you have ranks in Craft: Cooking, the food may be more elaborate based on your craft roll.

This spell looks fine and has the right flavor for an arcane spell, but this one should not be a druid spell. And is there Craft Cooking? I thought cooking was a Profession.

Kansaschaser
2011-05-23, 12:34 PM
This might be too much. It not only creates food, but it also creates a plant. With this spell any arcane spellcaster could make tons of plants. And worse you can break an economy by simply making plants that are rare for the area.

But maybe worst of all is that it does not feel like an arcane spell, a druid spell, sure, not not an arcane one.

If you do keep the spell you might want to note that it can only make normal plants, so one one uses it to make monstrous plants. You might want to make it clear that you can only make plants of the type that you have seeds for(as written now a clever player could say the transmutation effect can make any plant). You might also want to add a steep arcane cost so that type of spellcaster can't cast this spell all that much.

Yes, the Fabricate spell always has the potential to break the economy. Unfortunatly, there is no economy here to break. How about if Swift Fecundity converted the water and seeds into fully grown fruits and vegetables of the appropriate type depending on the seeds that were available? Once the fruit or vegetable is fully formed, they drop to the ground and then the plant shrivels into nothingness, leaving only the fruit or vegetables.

Gamer Girl
2011-05-23, 12:44 PM
Yes, the Fabricate spell always has the potential to break the economy. Unfortunatly, there is no economy here to break. How about if Swift Fecundity converted the water and seeds into fully grown fruits and vegetables of the appropriate type depending on the seeds that were available? Once the fruit or vegetable is fully formed, they drop to the ground and then the plant shrivels into nothingness, leaving only the fruit or vegetables.

Fabricate has lots of safe guards to not break an economy. You can only turn what you have into things and it costs you the same as if you built it and it's dependent on your craft.

There might be no economy in your world, but you should look at it from the many worlds.

If you want to go that route just make that 'swift' more of a haste effect...the seeds grow into a plant, produce and then die.

bloodtide
2011-05-23, 01:17 PM
I do have a spell for you:

Alter Diet
Transmutation

This spell will allow anyone to eat almost anything. The material component of this spell, the skull of any creature, is touched to the person to be effected by this spell. Then, for the duration of this spell, that touched person can eat and gain sustenance from anything the creature could consume.

While under the effects of this spell the effected creature is not harmed by normal or natural things present in the items they consume, just like the original creature that the skull came from. However magical effects will still be harmful. And any food eaten during the spell duration, but still undigested in the creatures stomach, is altered into food safe for the creature at the spells end duration.

Material Component:The skull of any living creature.

Kansaschaser
2011-05-23, 02:16 PM
Fabricate has lots of safe guards to not break an economy. You can only turn what you have into things and it costs you the same as if you built it and it's dependent on your craft.

There might be no economy in your world, but you should look at it from the many worlds.

If you want to go that route just make that 'swift' more of a haste effect...the seeds grow into a plant, produce and then die.

Actually, from your suggestion, I changed Swift Fecundity to...

You convert a few seeds and about 50 gallons of water into edible fruits and/or vegetables. You must cast this spell where there is soil and visible light. The fruits and/or vegetables created will depend on what seeds you use for the casting of this spell. You create enough fruits and/or vegetables to feed two medium sized persons for one day per caster level.

You cannot use this spell to create any magical fruit or vegetables or to grow any plant based creature.

I do have a spell for you:

Alter Diet
Transmutation

This spell will allow anyone to eat almost anything. The material component of this spell, the skull of any creature, is touched to the person to be effected by this spell. Then, for the duration of this spell, that touched person can eat and gain sustenance from anything the creature could consume.

While under the effects of this spell the effected creature is not harmed by normal or natural things present in the items they consume, just like the original creature that the skull came from. However magical effects will still be harmful. And any food eaten during the spell duration, but still undigested in the creatures stomach, is altered into food safe for the creature at the spells end duration.

Material Component:The skull of any living creature.

That's really nifty. Why I didn't think of something like that before is beyond me. The "skull" I'd like to use would be an earthworm skull. Since they eat dirt and excrete fertalizer, having an earthworm diet would be really cool.

The only problem I have is that earthworms don't have skulls. Maybe I'll alter the spell just a little bit to fit my needs.

Ziegander
2011-05-23, 02:17 PM

The easy answer is to force the caster to have the correct seeds corresponding to the type of plant they wish to grow. This makes the spell much weaker than Fabricate, and it be a 4th level spell at most. You could call it Miracle Grow.

Lush Recycling seems incredibly limited for a 5th level spell. It does the same thing as Create Food and Water, however it requires that you have waste product to convert into food rather than causing it to spring out of thin air. Create Food and Water is a 3rd level divine spell with no restrictions, this is a 5th level arcane spell on top of having restrictions. I'd say bump Lush Recycling down to a 3rd level arcane, 2nd level Druid spell.

WurmD
2012-05-30, 08:02 AM
Hi Kansaschaser :)

I know it's been over a year, but would you mind editting your first post (or just posting) the final version of your two spells? :)

And did you get to use them in your world? :D How did it go?

Cheers!