PDA

View Full Version : Gladiator Character

paunazorba
2011-05-23, 11:57 AM
Hello. My DM is starting a new Gladiator-RomanLike-Campaign in Forgotten Realms and I was thinking in using the ToB and creating a Warblade character

Since that I'll mostly be fighting one enemy at once, what warblade hints (like feats, maneuvers and stances) would you give me to Pwn in the arena? :smallbiggrin:

I'll start at level 5 and the stats I rolled were:

I did not put the race bonuses nor the fourth level bonuses.
I was thinking in something like: Str 18 (17+1level), Dex 16 (15 +1human race), Con 18(16+1human race+1level), Int 14, Wis 10, Char 11

Thanks

gallagher
2011-05-23, 02:54 PM
is it one on one fighting? if so, you will benefit greatly from using a net

full power attacking while using emerald razor is always a good option

pearl of black doubt is probably the best stance for you in an arena, as the things you face at ECL 5 still have a decent chance of missing you. this is especially good if you are getting attacked from range and have any form of cover. maybe get an item that lets you use darkness as the spell?

and would a net be able to do damage using insightful strike?

arkol
2011-05-23, 02:58 PM
Str 18 (17+1level), Dex 16 (15 +1human race), Con 18(16+1human race+1level), Int 14, Wis 10, Char 11

Humans don't really get any bonus to stats... and no race gets +1 to two different stats so... typo? houserule?

Also, you know for a fact you will be fighting one-on-one? Are you playing alone? What sort of gear do you have acess to? If you're a classic gladiator you're a slave so you probably don't have much...

Is the arena an open sandy circle or can something else be expected?

Optimator
2011-05-23, 03:01 PM
Wall of Blades is a must. The Warblade Handbook is quite thorough and well-written, so I suggest checking it out.

Lateral
2011-05-23, 03:33 PM
Yeah, this may help. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193992)

paunazorba
2011-05-23, 03:46 PM
Humans don't really get any bonus to stats... and no race gets +1 to two different stats so... typo? houserule?

Also, you know for a fact you will be fighting one-on-one? Are you playing alone? What sort of gear do you have acess to? If you're a classic gladiator you're a slave so you probably don't have much...

Is the arena an open sandy circle or can something else be expected?

Oh..Forget that race bonuses on stats, I don't know where I got that from..
hahah

Anyway.. It's one-on-one only, except rare cases. I'm playing with 4 friends, an human Fighter, an human Barbarian, an large human Monk/Tattoed Monk with Vow of Poverty and an Satyr Fighter(sick). All well-builded characters and very strong I'd say.
And yes, it's open sandy circle and hired-like gladiators. Each gladiator starts with 9.000PO.

Greenish
2011-05-23, 05:28 PM
Reach weapon, for they dominate the battlefield. Tripper is a nifty option, especially with warblade providing damage. Guisarme is probably the weapon of choice.

Feats to support the style:
Combat Expertise, Imp. Trip, Knock-Down or PA. Warblade bonus feat for Combat Reflexes or maybe Imp. Initiative.

Hirax
2011-05-23, 05:36 PM
I'll second improved initiative and tripping. Potentially with lucky start (CScoundrel) to allow you to reroll initiative, so you can make sure to always get your opponent on the ground before they get an action.

edit: I'm actually going to suggest you throw in 2 levels of fighter, too. That way when you get your 4th warblade level, you'll have an IL of 5, and be able to take a third level stance. If you go straight to warblade4, you'll be stuck with 2 level 1 stances. Of course, you would need to wait until 6th level to get this stance.

edit: traits might also be of interest. Quick (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm#quick)and aggressive (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm#aggressive)are my favorites. If you take absolute steel stance with your 4th warblade level, that would gives you +10 movement for a total of 50' per round. That would mean you could simply stay 50' away from all melee foes, and force them to charge you, since that's the only way they'd be able to get close enough to you in a round. Load up on anticharging methods such as hold the line, and then a melee character will need at least a 15' reach to touch you.

Greenish
2011-05-23, 06:10 PM
I'm actually going to suggest you throw in 2 levels of fighter, too.Meh, I'm not a fan, it hurts your maneuvers quite a bit, especially at such a low level.

If you must, though, remember to use Hit and Run Tactics variant.