PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Faux Paladin Rogue Help

AvianMalkavian
2011-05-23, 12:40 PM
A friend recently mentioned to me a story from one of his past games. In this game, one of the players was a Rogue pretending to be a Paladin. He was so successful at it that he had the whole party convinced. I'm curious about making a similar character, though I'm not sure what's all involved. Any help would be appreciated!

subject42
2011-05-23, 01:29 PM
Uphold the paladin code.
Wear Armor
Have a really well trained horse.

Diarmuid
2011-05-23, 01:30 PM
It's pretty much going to be all RP supported by Bluff checks.

In the world of ACF's and not every paladin casting spells or riding a holy steed, should be pretty easy to pull off.

Just need to either suck up non-proficiency penalties and Armor Check penalties of heavier armor or come up with a reason you're not wearing heavier armor.

A use activated item of Detect Evil would probably go a long way as well.

subject42
2011-05-23, 01:36 PM
Additionally, make sure that you're prepared to cover for iconic Paladin abilities, like lay on hands (sleight of hand and a wand), fear immunity (good saves), and disease immunity (copious use of antiplague + save boosters).

AvianMalkavian
2011-05-23, 02:37 PM
One thing I noticed was that combining the Minor Magic Rogue Talent with the Disrupt Undead spell works for a somewhat decent "Turn Undead" substitute.

Also, are there any Feats that mitigate Armor Check Penalties? Just curious if there's any way to at least alleviate some of the penalties I would take to doing my rogue-ish thing.

CTrees
2011-05-23, 02:43 PM
Not sure how much cash you have, but look at Celestial Armor.

Luckmann
2011-05-23, 02:44 PM
[...]

A use activated item of Detect Evil would probably go a long way as well.Or, you know, roll Bluff and shout "BURN THE WITCH!" really really loud.

CTrees
2011-05-23, 02:45 PM
Ooh, yeah, if you're just SAYING you detected evil... it doesn't have to be true. Bluff ftw.

Luckmann
2011-05-23, 03:34 PM
Ooh, yeah, if you're just SAYING you detected evil... it doesn't have to be true. Bluff ftw.I say that the tenets of this character be;

Truth is Subjective.
Why be Honest when a Lie will do?
When all else fails: Cheat!

:smallbiggrin:

Maquise
2011-05-23, 03:47 PM
Just be sure to watch out for real paladins.

Luckmann
2011-05-23, 03:52 PM
Just be sure to watch out for real paladins.I'd like to just make that suggestion "Just be sure not to detect as evil". :smallbiggrin:

Unless you meet a Paladin from the same order as you're posing as (Just.. I dunno.. make something up!; Plan "Order of the Reluctant Griffon" is go!), they wouldn't really have any idea that he's not a Paladin. They might think that he's odd, but they would have just as much as a problem to see that he's not a real Paladin as everyone else, bar perhaps a higher chance to call the bluff when he's pretending to Lay on Hands (Oh, yeah? That's.. that's not how you do it in your order? Well.. um.. So's your face!)

As long as he doesn't detect as evil. :smallamused:

Rejakor
2011-05-23, 06:00 PM
You really could just play a basic rogue. You don't even need a wand of cure light wounds or anything.

Some paladins wear light armour. Only explain why you don't have some ability if someone asks about it.

Basically if you have the right demeanour at the table, and your character looks and acts the part, you should be able to pull it off pretty easily/well.