PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Necromancy Spell/Spell line request

mucco
2011-05-23, 05:40 PM
Hello playground. I am in need of a spell, or a series of spells, that accomplishes the following thing: it must punish the target whenever it "does something". I've been inspired by the Mystic Backlash reserve feat in Complete Mage, but that's not quite what I'm looking for. I'd like something that works with more action types and not just spells (like any kind of standard action).

The problem is, I have no clue about how to balance this. :smalltongue: I reckon it should be rounds/level, but aside from that, I have no clue. I also think that reserve feat I mentioned before is very, very weak :smallbiggrin: so I want something stronger. Not Avasculate strong, but no Mystic Backlash either.

Agent_0042
2011-05-23, 06:05 PM
Complete Mage also has the Karma line of spells - Karmic Aura, Karmic Backlash, and Karmic Retribution. Check those out, and see if they do what you need.

mucco
2011-05-23, 06:13 PM
That is... something, but it's still too restrictive in the conditions triggering the spell. It's also not dealing any HP damage, which is what I'm looking for.

bloodtide
2011-05-23, 09:43 PM
Well, you know Geas/Quest can do what you ask, but if you want a necromancy spell:

Death Task Punishment
Necromancy(Curse)
Level: Sor/Wiz 3,
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Targets: 1 creature
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

You influence the actions of the target creature by punishing them if they take a set action. The action must be worded in such a manner as to make the activity sound reasonable and be no more then two sentences. The set action must be one that the target creature willing chooses to do, so you can't set the action to be 'if the creature breathes'. Any such action automatically negates the effect of the spell.

Should the target creature take the set action, they will be struck by a blast of negative energy for 2d8 damage(Fort save for half damage).

The curse bestowed by this spell cannot be dispelled, but it can be removed with a break enchantment, limited wish, miracle, remove curse, or wish spell.

Dylaer
2011-05-23, 10:54 PM
Well, you know Geas/Quest can do what you ask, but if you want a necromancy spell:

Death Task Punishment
Necromancy(Curse)
Level: Sor/Wiz 3,
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Targets: 1 creature
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

You influence the actions of the target creature by punishing them if they take a set action. The action must be worded in such a manner as to make the activity sound reasonable and be no more then two sentences. The set action must be one that the target creature willing chooses to do, so you can't set the action to be 'if the creature breathes'. Any such action automatically negates the effect of the spell.

Should the target creature take the set action, they will be struck by a blast of negative energy for 2d8 damage(Fort save for half damage).

The curse bestowed by this spell cannot be dispelled, but it can be removed with a break enchantment, limited wish, miracle, remove curse, or wish spell.

2d8 negative energy damage sounds a tad low. I'd actually go for a temporary negative level, of the Enervation type. Maybe remove the first save, and just have them save againt the energy drain effect?

Set
2011-05-24, 12:47 AM
Bestow curse has the open-ended 'make your own curse' option.

Check out the normal curse results, and simply word the curse that the effect only triggers when the victim does something prohibited.

For instance, you could curse someone to suffer incapacitating pain (nauseated for 1 round) if they ever attempt to take action against you. This is significantly weaker than the 'lose 50% of your actions' curse, and allows lots of 'wiggle room' (as these sorts of things traditionally should, just for fun).

You could curse someone to be linked to you. When you take hit point damage, they take nonlethal damage equal to that (or half that, if they make a Will save). As long as you remain damaged, they are sickened by discomfort, encouraging them to do whatever they can to keep you from being damaged and / or get you healed ASAP. If you die, they immediately are nauseated by pain, and remain that way (needing a Will save each round to be able to negate that rounds nausea and function) until you are returned to life, or the curse is dispelled. That sort of curse could make someone a *very* motivated bodyguard... (Unlike a reversed shield other, this in no way protects you from harm, it just makes them suffer whenever you are harmed, so that they are inclined to not let that happen.)

bloodtide
2011-05-24, 12:47 AM
2d8 negative energy damage sounds a tad low. I'd actually go for a temporary negative level, of the Enervation type. Maybe remove the first save, and just have them save againt the energy drain effect?

The OP wanted damage, not other effects.