PDA

View Full Version : what's in a name?

BIGMamaSloth
2011-05-23, 09:54 PM
I love making characters, fleshing out there back stories and figuring out all the bits and bobbles about them. Then it happens. :smalleek: I realize I can't think of a name for this person, and I'm stuck for hours trying to think up a good name. So tell me, how do you name characters?

Fiery Diamond
2011-05-23, 10:09 PM
Most of the time, I make up names. The ways I name characters (for gaming or for stories):

1) Put together some syllables that sound good (Taes, Darfidel, Ricayde, Durmakin, Zarsi, Andorith)
2) Take a real-world name I like the sound of (Alex, Avery, Daren, Kate)
3) Take words and a) use them as is or with a spelling change (Hawke, Aurora) b) make compound words/add affixes (Skyson)
4) Combinations of the above (Dalyn, Mizuna, Chlaris)

Techsmart
2011-05-23, 10:10 PM
Depends. If I'm lazy, I use a random name generator until it pops out something that isn't stupid (Which sometimes takes more time than trying to think one up). If I'm not lazy, I try to think of different syllables that sound good together, and try to match them together into a coherent name. Some people in our group use anagrams of other names. A third method is to look into existing names in other fantasy settings, usually more obscure ones, and make variations of those. Or we play the "all the little things" campaign and names aren't a problem. I'm stuffed cthulhu, and my friend is a butcher knife.

Blue Bandit
2011-05-23, 10:25 PM
I've never been good at making up names for my characters. One of the ways I get names is to come up with a phrase like (angel of death or night-stalker) then translate it into another language,(like German or Spanish.) Then, not only do you have a name, you have a name with a meaning. :smalltongue:

Remmirath
2011-05-23, 11:01 PM
I don't have a very good process for it at all, and I often end up spending hours on it. I just try to think of things that sound good, and then rearrange them until they seem to fit. Sometimes I'll take a book and roll randomly, and see if I can make a coherent name out of it. When I'm really lucky, I'll just think of something out of the blue and then use it.

I have more trouble coming up with names for characters in modern settings, actually, because there aren't very many modern names that I'm fond of and I don't want to re-use names.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-23, 11:04 PM
I just go with a quasi-hippie name. First Color+Occupation: Alexus Chronosmith. Works for a time mage!

Enix18
2011-05-23, 11:18 PM
If you're having trouble simply thinking of names, I would first direct you to Behind the Name (http://www.behindthename.com/), a fantastic website that allows you to search through a database of names by meaning, language of origin, gender, and more. They also have a neat little name generator (http://www.behindthename.com/random/), which I might be so bold to say is one of the best out there on the internet.

If you have no trouble thinking of names, but you can't seem to select anything with the right aesthetic quality or mythical flavour, I would direct you to a little pair (http://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/116/instant-names-the-one-letter-trick/) of articles (http://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/167/instant-names-mythic-flavor/) on Ars Ludi that address this very subject.

I hope you find some of that stuff helpful.

Ravens_cry
2011-05-23, 11:58 PM
Culture. A lot of characters come from a culture with similarities to a real world one, take a name from that.
Meaning: What is a prime characteristic of your character? Find a name that means that or something commonly associated. Or do the reverse, for example you could have cowardly character with the last name Braveheart.
Mix and match the sounds until you find something you like and that you, and the other players can pronounce readily.
Something else entirely.

Gensh
2011-05-24, 12:48 AM
Most of the time, I make up names. The ways I name characters (for gaming or for stories):

1) Put together some syllables that sound good (Taes, Darfidel, Ricayde, Durmakin, Zarsi, Andorith)
3) Take words and a) use them as is or with a spelling change (Hawke, Aurora) b) make compound words/add affixes (Skyson)

That's pretty close to what I do, but I also have a tendency to let the characters themselves get involved. For example, I've got an NPC that has a tendency to appear in multiple games. His original name was Daedalus Archimon, which doesn't roll off the tongue well at all, so everyone just calls him Jack, regardless of his in-setting name, which better allows them to express their rage at getting trolled into doing something suicidal without realizing that it's him. JAAAAAACK!

HappyBlanket
2011-05-24, 01:26 AM
Behind the Name is also a site I've used alot, for much the same reasons as above. As an example, I've searched for "Sword (gave me Brandon)," "Immortal (Ambrose)," and "Pain (Dolores)," among others. And at one point I made an anagram, just because it fit the character.

For last names I get all mythological :3 A well targeted wikiwalk can do wonders for that, since in all likelihood there's some manner of Greek God that associates with your d&d character. Course, either way you need to have a well grounded concept behind your character, or some overlaying theme behind their personality/background, even if it's as simple as parental issues or ambition (which are very common in mythology).

His original name was Daedalus Archimon, which doesn't roll off the tongue well at all, so everyone just calls him Jack, regardless of his in-setting name, which better allows them to express their rage at getting trolled into doing something suicidal without realizing that it's him. JAAAAAACK!

Love this.

You must tell me; did he build wings for them? Was one of your players named Icarus?

some guy
2011-05-24, 05:40 AM
I usually throw a lot of references together with portmonteaus and real life names.

Simon Zondriaan was my first pc, a paladin of Pelor. His last name was a reference to the painter Piet Mondriaan portmonteaud with the Dutch word for sun and the Dutch word for stranger.

Erol Simpelhart was a reference to D&D illustrator Erol Otus, and I tent to give my rogues all the last name Simpelhart and make 'm all part of a crime organization/orphanage.

Nero Trammenus was quite simple a reference to Erfworld's prince Tramennis and the Roman emperor. It was for a morally ambiguous druid.

I usually give my pc's the most attention for names, less so for npc's.

dsmiles
2011-05-24, 07:22 AM
Since I usually play humans (in DnD and other fantasy games), names are pretty easy. Most names have been around for centuries (if not millennia) and fit in quite well in any fantasy setting.

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-05-24, 09:03 AM
Depends on what kind of character I'm building. If it's a human, I'll tend to borrow the name from an obscure work in the hopes that no one will notice. If not, I just tend to pick names from the options presented in the books.

This is mostly because I tend to make a lot of characters when I'm bored, more than I'll ever hope to play. If I get one of them out, I may pick a more interesting name, but really I'm not that good with naming conventions.

Jay R
2011-05-24, 09:52 AM
I tend to think about characters in terms of medieval or fantasy cultures, and get my names from that. My latest Bard felt Welsh, and became Gwydion. My latest Ranger took the Tolkien name Grimbold. My current elf felt sort of Weny-Pini-ish, so I gave him the Elfquest-like name Treewalker.

I was extremely impressed with the name Julio Scoundrél. My next rogue will probably be Romeo Rascál.

And I once had two dwarven followers - brothers, the last of seven. I gave one a Welsh name and one a Latin name, and they were Doli and Felix. Nobody ever figured out that they were translated versions of Grumpy and Happy.

Zejety
2011-05-24, 12:08 PM
Do you mind if I derail this thread a tiny bit and ask you to apply your ideas to an example (that might be my new character :smalltongue:)?

Just_Ice
2011-05-24, 01:24 PM
I've kind of given up on trying to pick names. I'll usually use an online database of a country's names (Most recently, welsh) and pick something that works. Alternatively I'll make up a name (most recently, "Waxim") that is easy to say and is definitely not a real name but not that far from being one.

This is mainly because my first character's name was "Svori Brisgamen" and many of my friends can't say any name that came from anywhere but a small radius in Europe.

Kylarra
2011-05-24, 01:35 PM
I usually find a word in a non-english language, add a few random letters to taste and call it good.

Shadowleaf
2011-05-24, 02:25 PM
I consider the setting, the character's race and character's nation. Mainly, I focus on what real life nation is being shamelessly ripped off, and use a name from that area.

That, or random cool-sounding syllables.

dsmiles
2011-05-24, 02:34 PM
Since I usually play humans (in DnD and other fantasy games), names are pretty easy. Most names have been around for centuries (if not millennia) and fit in quite well in any fantasy setting.Of course, if I happen to play something else, I have to do research. I like doing Halfling and Kender names, they're fun. I have this repeat character, who happens to be a Halfling (or Kender, depending on the setting) Rogue/(insert TWF melee type here) who's name is Lirrin Picklewing.

HappyBlanket
2011-05-24, 02:38 PM
Do you mind if I derail this thread a tiny bit and ask you to apply your ideas to an example (that might be my new character :smalltongue:)?

Go for it, you'll boost our egos :3

On topic: I forgot about the names of other races. Not surprising, since all my characters (also read as: my two characters) have been human. But if I did feel the need to use a racial name, I'd probably use an anagram, with a few pretty sounding letters thrown in.

Incidentally; using mythological names won't help you if none of the other players/dm care for it. Course, it's not like the other players give a crap about you anyway, so you might as well do it for self indulgence.

Zejety
2011-05-24, 04:04 PM
Okay, here we go:

Half-Orc bard.
Orcish father, human mother, outcome of a violation. Named and raised by his mother in a human settlement.
The mother gave her best to love the child but his looks subconciously reminded her of his father. (yeah, that stuff is pretty generic :smallredface:)

Outward appearance is more on the human side, except a bulky (but short) frame, green-greyish skin and one set of small tusks (see my avatar).

That's basically data that could have influenced his name in-character.

Meta/OOC stuff:

Best/worst stat: STR/WIS
Whip/tripping build
Unknowingly has some dragon blood flowing through his veines (might go for the Dragon Disciple PCL)

I wouldn't mind a name that starts with "Z", or "Ts", but that's a low priority.

Maethirion
2011-05-24, 06:29 PM
Honestly, if I can't think of a decent name that fits the concept, and just want something different, I find mashing a keyboard and then fiddling with the results works quite well.

For example.
lakyrj

Lakyrig could be workable...
Possibly not the best example, and it often throws out useless things, but worth a shot sometimes.

J.Gellert
2011-05-24, 07:42 PM

5) Google your name to make (relatively) certain you haven't created something embarassing.

Qaera
2011-05-24, 07:50 PM
5) Google your name to make (relatively) certain you haven't created something embarassing.

"What do you mean his name can't be Erros Syfiless?"

Fiery Diamond
2011-05-24, 09:17 PM

I don't do this step as often as I should, unfortunately. Sometimes this results in what I thought were complete gibberish names turning out to be a) real names b) words in this or another language. I haven't yet had trouble with the result being terribly embarrassing, though, just strange.

For the half-orc: first thing that comes to mind is Tsagor/Tsagorin. Created by starting with Ts, adding "dragon," taking the name Igor (which seemed like a high-STR name to me for some reason), and combining it together. Tsagor also gives kind of an orc-ish feel to me, while Tsagorin seems a little "softer," and therefore something a human might choose to diminish the "orcishness" while still having that OOC flavor.

Coidzor
2011-05-24, 09:36 PM
I try to think of a real world culture that I want to have somewhat emulated in the naming conventions. I generally tend towards dog-latin and corruptions of italian for my inspiration.

Names like Vincente, home cities like Trellium, that sort of thing.

Or, in the case of Lyendon, I took an animal I liked the sound of "lion," and played around with it until I got something not recognizable as its origin.

Gensh
2011-05-24, 10:18 PM
Love this.

You must tell me; did he build wings for them? Was one of your players named Icarus?

Nah. In that particular setting, he was the author of a revolutionary essay on magic theory titled Labyrinth. It was later revealed that the essay was yet another troll and would lead to dead-end theories for years to come.

More on topic, the Everchanging Book of Names (http://ebon.pyorre.net/) is a convenient utility if you're looking for a certain type of name. In particular, two of the default libraries are Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk.

Stumblebee
2011-05-25, 01:09 AM
I follow 4 rules:

1. Look for names that are, from my culture's perspective, peculiar or antiquated. For instance, Mose, Herschel, and Benedict were once relatively common but are rarely seen in the U.S. today.

2. If I need or want to invent a name, I basically just mash different sounds together until I end up with something I like. If it's a pre-established setting with naming conventions, I try to keep to those conventions; otherwise, I just take something that sounds suitably heroic or menacing. Sekreo, Zelados, and Jylas have been some of my favorites over the years.

Amusingly, these sometimes turn out to be actual names. "Valmont! That's an awesome Paladin name! Yeah, that's what I'll--what? Uh, no, I've never read Dangerous Liaisons, why do you ask?"

3. Speaking of randomly generated fantasy names, I keep names down to three syllables or less. Anything longer makes it hard to remember (and ridiculously long).

4. No apostrophes. Ever.

some guy
2011-05-25, 09:49 AM
4. No apostrophes. Ever.

Yeah, I'm so glad no in my groups ever made a name with apostrophes in it. I hate to be a whiny DM, but I just can't deal with names like Ky'thll-D'klk.

Though I am forgiving if it are names with an Irish or French style like O'Brien or d'Estaing. The apostrophe has a meaning in those names.

Arbane
2011-05-25, 11:08 AM
4. No apostrophes. Ever.

"All apostrophes in the middle of fantasy names are to be pronounced 'boing'." - Evil Overlady Issendai.

I'm fond of Kate Monk's Onomastikon (http://www.gaminggeeks.org/Resources/KateMonk/), a very useful resource of real names from a LOT of cultures.

J.Gellert
2011-05-25, 06:10 PM
I am using various name sites, particularly those that include an etymology or "meaning".

Apostrophes are tolerated if the real name would have them.

dsmiles
2011-05-25, 06:18 PM
I am using various name sites, particularly those that include an etymology or "meaning".

Apostrophes are tolerated if the real name would have them.
I used this one (http://www.20000-names.com/) to set up the fluff for my campaign setting's races (based on different historical cultures).

J.Gellert
2011-05-25, 06:25 PM
I used this one (http://www.20000-names.com/) to set up the fluff for my campaign setting's races (based on different historical cultures).

I don't have favorites, but that one is definitely among the first that Google brings up when I search :smallsmile:

Another one is Behind the Name (http://www.behindthename.com/).

And I have this (http://www.namenerds.com/irish/trad.html) saved on my bookmarks list, just for the Elves.

FatJose
2011-05-25, 07:43 PM
A name says little about the person and everything about their parents. Flashy names are great if its a nickname or assumed identity but "real" names....
- reflect what the parents want of the kid, a trait that they've had from birth (eyecolor or having a nice smile)
- a relative (named after and uncle or grandparent and in the same vein, a name of the culture...so no english names for a character from an asian-flavored setting unless there is something in their backstory that notes it.)
- the place they were born (Last and even first names of most cultures have this. Redford, Vega which is spanish for "Plains or Fields").

When you write out such a detailed back story, use that to make a character's name as opposed to just making up something that "sounds cool." If people could name themselves...ugh.
"My name is Optimus Superman!"

HappyBlanket
2011-05-25, 07:48 PM
A name says little about the person and everything about their parents. Flashy names are great if its a nickname or assumed identity but "real" names....
- reflect what the parents want of the kid, a trait that they've had from birth (eyecolor or having a nice smile)
- a relative (named after and uncle or grandparent and in the same vein, a name of the culture...so no english names for a character from an asian-flavored setting unless there is something in their backstory that notes it.)
- the place they were born (Last and even first names of most cultures have this. Redford, Vega which is spanish for "Plains or Fields").

When you write out such a detailed back story, use that to make a character's name as opposed to just making up something that "sounds cool." If people could name themselves...ugh.

That's only useful if you're playing a character with strong ties to his parents :P From the player's perspective, a name serves to speak about the character.

Fiery Diamond
2011-05-25, 10:57 PM

That's only useful if you're playing a character with strong ties to his parents :P From the player's perspective, a name serves to speak about the character.

Also, in the real world, it isn't really all that rare for people to name themselves, whether by adopting a nickname (which might indeed be self-chosen rather than given to them by friends/others) or by legally changing their name. And it would actually surprise me if there were no cultures where the members chose their adulthood names at a certain point, given how common this is in fantasy.

gracypetro
2011-06-13, 12:16 AM
It depends on what kind of character I am building. If it is a human, I'll tend to borrow the name from an obscure work in the hopes that no will notice. If not, I tend to pick names from the choices introduced in the books.

Traveler
2011-06-13, 01:33 PM
I helpful hint I ahven't seen here yet. When you make your name, say it out loud a few times to make sure it sounds right. I once came very close to having a cavalier named " A'tin Souldeir ". Seriously.

Phosphate
2011-06-13, 02:17 PM
I usually bash 3 lines of text.

fyvnieuiuhvsihcniufhsdimfhcvdkljvfsdhposijdoviscal khfsifushncufojsdnihxosudfhs
nkxvnjeiohndvusdihduoydshiughidhvvnoisdnvlnvoasnpo dfhgiohsdviosvionsvdous
bviundsgoisnfvoisbiuphgoudpiufhinvknljxvnkjnpisokd nvpdfbifvj

Then I bold things that sound coherent enough.

fyvnieuiuhvsihcniufhsdimfhcvdkljvfsdhposijdoviscal k
hfsifushncufojsdnihxosudfhsnkxvnjeiohndvusdihd
uoydshiughidhvvnoisdnvlnvoasnpodfhgiohsdviosvionsv
dousbviundsgoisnfvoisbiuphgoudpiufhinvknljxvnkjnpi sokdnvpdfbifv
j

Then I erase what is not bolded.

fyvnieusihcniufdimfposijdovissifushcufojxosudfjeio hndihduoydghidgiohsbiuphpisok

Then I break them up in groups of 8.

fyvnieus ihcniufd imfposi jdovissi fushcufo jxosudfj eiohndih duoydghi dgiohsbi uphpisok

Then I rewrite everything I have as to graphically look at least a little like English.

Fyvnius Ichniuf Inposy Jovisy Fushcofow Xosudfij Eiondah Doudgy Geausby Uppissoc

Then I remove everything that sounds whimpish or too alien.

Fyvnius Ichniuf Inposy Jovisy Eiondah

Then I choose what sounds like the best combination out of those:

Fyvnius Eiondah

Hmm, not that horrible.