PDA

View Full Version : Grand Dream - Battle for Blackwall (IC)

true_shinken
2011-05-23, 10:32 PM
They say war never changes.
A body lay on Captain Garrick's desk. Big, gaunt, hideous to behold. The skin is green, musty, covered with warts. The smell is nauseating. Trolls are seen every once in a while in Blackwall. The weird thing is that this particular troll was wearing full plate armor and had a crown drawn on his shield. Both his armor and shield seemed new.

Captain Garrick watches over the group as a weary grandfather looking after energetic children. "We lost a patrol near the Old River.", said the balding middle-aged human, his rough voice heavy with grief. "A few man returned with this monster. They died afterwards. Poisoned." He rubs his grey eyes with his fingers repeatedly. "I'm trying to handle this on my own. I don't want people panicking. I want you to find this monsters playing as soldiers, kill them and bring the bodies of our comrades back so we can get them buried. And I want it done swiftly. Did I make myself clear, soldiers?"

Between the image of the weakened officer and the troll knight, one feeling hung around the heads of the soldiers in that small cabin in the outskirts of Blackwall.
Maybe war does, indeed, change.

Daisuke1133
2011-05-23, 11:02 PM
OOC:
Nice Fallout reference, there. :smallamused:

Glaulkh'kon salutes the captain. His mind already abuzz with questions who's answers would shape the necessary tactics to utilize in his mission. When given leave to speak he gives voice to these questions.

"Captain," he begins, "are there any indications as to what manner of poison was used to kill these men? Also, what sorts of creatures are known, or at least thought, to inhabit the area in question? Additionally, are there any particular features of the terrain we should be wary of, or can use to our advantage in this assignment?"

Thurbane
2011-05-24, 05:19 AM
Daris is shocked by the news...

"That's terrible! Of course we will retrieve the bodies of those valiant warriors!"

...he waits for the more military minded to take the lead, and suggest the course of action.

Talya
2011-05-24, 07:31 AM
Sigrůn looks at the troll corpse more closely (though obviously holding her breath and being careful not to touch it.) She steps back with a disgusted grimmace on her face.

"It's not charred, or burned away by acid. I'm assuming our men didn't kill it. Did this poison actually manage to kill the troll?"

true_shinken
2011-05-24, 10:07 AM
"It seems to have been some kind of poison gas. It killed both our soldiers and the troll, yes. As for terrain features, it's tough luck. The grounding is bad, making maneuvering difficult, and there could be monsters lurking inside the river itself."

Talya
2011-05-24, 10:16 AM
"If there are trolls left in the area, we'll need access to fire or acid. I need to requisition some oil. But a bigger concern is this poison gas. Trolls tend to be rather hardy types. If the poison can kill a troll..."

Ganurath
2011-05-24, 10:18 AM
"The poison must be slow for them to have gotten back from so far... Or the enemy close." Asira focuses her visual attention on the shield, with its heraldry. If the poison was part of their tactics, it was likely a mockery of civilized lands. If the poison wasn't, though, it suggested infighting or a third party. So, either deadly tactics or politics. Irritating. "Did those that returned last long enough to debrief? The source of the cloud, whether or not the troll was alone, any indication of a camp or headquarters?"

Talya
2011-05-24, 10:34 AM
"The poison must be slow for them to have gotten back from so far... Or the enemy close."

Sigrún shudders and nods at Asira.

"More like...a plague, than a poison. Are those warts normal on trolls, or might they be symptomatic of a sickness? We didn't often encounter trolls very often so far north - not enough swamps. Our typical green Tr-bad guys were Tren, along the coast."

Thurbane
2011-05-24, 05:20 PM
"If it's fire we need, then we're in luck...I can breathe flames all day long if needed! But I am quite worried about this poison; we need to take some kind of precautions."

The-Mage-King
2011-05-24, 05:56 PM
"I should be able to resist the poison. thanks to my talents, though we'll likely want anti-toxin's for everyone." Iral chips in, looking at the corpse. "I'd also like to have permission to check a store I know for trollbane. The way this looks, we're going to want it, and triple capsule retainers for those of us who are going to be in melee."

Hawk7915
2011-05-25, 12:33 AM
Mikael has been quietly listening to his comrades speak from the corner, grimacing at the corpse. "It sounds as though we are going into this situation sorely lacking intelligence. Quietly surveying the area should be our first priority. I wonder if anyone in Blackwall or a nearby town knowns anything about these trolls? A creature this large doesn't get fresh, custom made plate armor from just anywhere.

Fortunately, discrete information gathering is something of my speciality. I also have some supplies that may be of use both to resist poison and to destroy the trolls, but I agree with Iral. We should invest in a way for our more combat-minded team members to take them down swiftly and decisively. Weapon capsules sound like a fine investment."

true_shinken
2011-05-26, 07:32 AM
"I could arrange for some oil, but other than that, I can't do much. Our resources are stretched thin by the upcoming festival and that's the one thing we can't prevent the nobles from doing.
About our soldiers, they didn't exactly debrief, but one of them survived long enough to tell us the info I relayed to you. We always knew there were trolls around, but you're correct - it's rare to find one in armor, specially in such a fine plate! Oh, Sigrun mentioned the warts... I think those are common. I don't really know."

Knowledge (nature) CD 16 to open
Warts are common in both trolls and ogres.

Talya
2011-05-26, 07:38 AM
Sigrún shrugs.

"So, probably not a plague then. Any of you know where to buy more anti-toxin? When do we leave?"

((OOC: Do I know how far away this "Old River" is? Would it be recommended for us to take horses? Does the city guard typically issue mounts for such expeditions?))

true_shinken
2011-05-27, 11:20 AM
OOC: Old River is just a couple of hours away. You could ask for mounts, but with the resources so thin, you don't know if you'd get it.

Talya
2011-05-27, 11:47 AM
OOC: For a couple hour trip on foot, i wouldn't even ask.

Hawk7915
2011-05-28, 12:27 AM
"They may still be at the river, but I'd be surprised to find that they are making camp there. We should make haste to the site of the battle with the supplies we have now. We can retreat back to Blackwall this evening to locate additional equipment and investigate recent commission of armor like that, or the materials to make it."

Ganurath
2011-05-28, 09:59 AM
"Sounds like a plan." Asira pulled herself upright, her hand sliding idly to the grip of her sword in anticipation of the upcoming fight. Trolls... Certainly a challenge, but with this level of support it should be well within her competence. Just needed to make sure payment was collected at some point. Still, there was one possibility she wanted to address now. "If they're making the armor themselves, though, that means infrastructure and noncombatants. What's the plan then?"

Talya
2011-05-28, 02:22 PM
"While I wouldn't put it past trolls to sacrifice one of their own, we're not even sure yet that the trolls weren't just victims of whatever poisoned our own men, too. This unfortunate...thing...certainly was. We may wish to parley if possible."

Hawk7915
2011-05-28, 05:39 PM
Mikael nods at Sigrún. "I suppose that's true. At any rate, I agree that if we can use my magic to speak with them, or take one of the alive for interrogation, that would be for the best. After all, you are also correct," Mikael gestures to Asira. Equipment like this speaks of either purchase, or of a larger well-protected encampment. It would behoove us to find out as much as possible on this excursion."

Mikael shoulders his pack and moves towards the door. "Shall we?"

Daisuke1133
2011-05-28, 05:46 PM
Glaulkh'kon nods to Mikael and says, "Let's. Additionally we should see if we can deny them their support structure. They are likely using enslaved non-combatants, that armour is too well made to have been wrought by troll hands. We should free an slaves and drive off any loyal non-combatants. Destroying their forges and raiding larders would also be a good idea, just so we can make warring with Blackwall as much of a headache for them as possible."

Talya
2011-05-28, 06:16 PM
Sigrún hefts her pack over her shoulder and nods at Mikael, then turns back to Captain Garrick.

"We'll figure this out, Captain."

true_shinken
2011-05-28, 07:05 PM
The team assembles fast and ready, like the veterans they are. Weapons packed, spells at ready, strategies in their minds. When they aproach the river, they see something quite unexpected - graves. The name and weapons of all soldiers killed are inscribed in stones. The kind of honorable burial that Blackwall maybe wouldn't give them in times of war.

"Who is there?!" a bestial voice sounds from within a grave. As fast as a wild cat, a giant with green skin, unruly hair, a long broken nose and yellow teeth jumps out of the grave with a shovel in hand. He wears nothing but brown slackers, but that's already more more than most trolls wear. He stares at the group, surprised at seeing them, the shovel held defensivelyu in front of him.

Talya
2011-05-28, 08:15 PM
Sigrún, surprised at a troll that asks questions first, steps forward, her right hand resting on the pommel of her sword, but otherwise unthreatening. She bows in greeting.

"Well met. Sigrún Völlur, Skald of Blackwall. These are Asira, Daris, Glaulkh'kon, Iral, and Mikael." She gestures to each of her party in turn. "We come seeking answers, starting with what became of ... well... them." She points at the graves of the fallen soldiers.

Hawk7915
2011-05-29, 10:02 AM
Mikael looks for a place to hide, considers casting a spell...and finally sighs quietly, stepping up beside Sigrún. He nods as she asks her question, adding "Yes, we are most curious as to what happened here, and who you work for. And what is your name, my fine fellow?"

true_shinken
2011-05-29, 05:11 PM
The troll raises his shovel in a salute. "My name is Gidel. I am a soldier under Captain Gog and a loyal servant of His Greatness The Troll Prince. If you'll excuse, I have fallen soldiers to honor." His Common is perfect, though it has a heavy accent.

Talya
2011-05-29, 06:28 PM
Sigrún scratches her head, perplexed.

"We are grateful for the honor and respect you show our brothers-in-arms, Gidel, truly, but did they fall as your foes, or your allies? One of your kind made it to our city, bearing gleaming armor and a crested shield," Sigrún describes the troll they were shown, "and he was evidently poisoned, as was our man who brought him to us. Our men that returned were also poisoned. We are tasked with finding out more information. Can you assist us?"

true_shinken
2011-05-29, 06:49 PM
"I am sorry, warrior. Can't help you.", he resumes digging. "That would be treason."

Thurbane
2011-05-29, 06:58 PM
"We are grateful that you do the warriors of Blackwall such honour, but I'm sure their friends and family would wish to see them one last time to say farewell. You seem like a reasonable chap, is this agreeable to you?"

OOC
I'll try a Diplomacy check.

Talya
2011-05-29, 07:11 PM
OOCYeah, Thurbane, i figured i'd get asked for one, too, with my obvious diplomacy attempts here... In games i've been in, we just tend to not roll diplomacy until the DM asks for the roll, since we never know when our actions will require one. Also, i'm not entirely sure how the dice system works here...do we roll it right in this thread?

Sigrún pauses as Daris speaks, a little nonplussed at the use of the word "treason" by the troll.

Hawk7915
2011-05-29, 07:46 PM
OOC Wondering if I should just Suggest he tell us everything and be done with it :p. The "treason" bit has me worried it'll be a waste of a 3rd level spell slot.

At any rate, for the below I'm happy to also roll Diplomacy.
"A pleasure to meet you, Gidel, and I find it commendable that you would show such respect to the fallen, even if they are not of your race. I'm afraid I have not heard of the Troll King; can you tell me about him"?

Thurbane
2011-05-29, 09:05 PM
OOCYeah, Thurbane, i figured i'd get asked for one, too, with my obvious diplomacy attempts here... In games i've been in, we just tend to not roll diplomacy until the DM asks for the roll, since we never know when our actions will require one. Also, i'm not entirely sure how the dice system works here...do we roll it right in this thread?

OOC
Yes, I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge of the ettiquette or rules of forum based gaming, it's all pretty new to me. Only similar experience I had was a DM that once ran a game via email for a few months.

true_shinken
2011-05-29, 11:09 PM
Roll on the thread, yes.
About Diplomacy, I'm OK with you saying 'I'm trying yo use Diplomacy' and making a roll, but remember I might decide you can't get that roll at times

Talya
2011-05-30, 09:17 AM
Diplomacy - (taking a chance and rolling for a better result. Which is likely a bad idea, but we've always got Mikael's suggestion to fall back on.)
[roll0]

true_shinken
2011-05-30, 08:20 PM
Gidel scratches his chin violently. His skin breaks open and he bleeds a little, but the wound closes itself very fast, leaving the tip of his fingers black with his own blood. "The Troll Prince?", his rough voice has a tinge of passion. "The Troll Prince is our savior. He was a troll just like us once, but now he is immortal and wields powers no red blooded race ever had. The Troll Prince understands we need a place to call home, our very own troll kingdom. Before the troll king, we would just rend you apart, but with His Greatness we learned the way of honor and how to do battle respectfully. We will the respect and the lands that are our due." He smiles, showing all his pointy yellow teeth. "Now, if you'll excuse, I really need to dig."

Thurbane
2011-05-30, 09:07 PM
OOC
I sidle up to within 15 feet of Gidel, in preparation to give him a spray of Slow breath if combat breaks out, trying to look nonchalant while doing so.

The-Mage-King
2011-05-30, 09:23 PM
Reaching into his haversack, Iral pulls forth a jug.

"Care for some help with that?" He asks, poping the cork from it and calling a shaft of sand from it, eventually turning it into a shovel.

If the response is afirmitave, he'll start helping with digging as soon as the sand becomes a shovel.

I'm taking 20 on the wis check needed to shape the shapesand into a shovel.

Hawk7915
2011-05-30, 10:53 PM
Mikael nods at Iral, frowning as he walks closer. "Excellent idea, Iral. We can surely make our friend's work go faster. This Troll King sounds like a great man, Gidel. Yet I must ask...where is he hoping to establish a kingdom for your people?"

Talya
2011-05-31, 10:31 AM
Sigrún's expression has changed from perplexed, to disturbed, but she says nothing, instead waiting at the ready for when this inevitably turns violent.

Ganurath
2011-05-31, 11:11 AM
"Actually, I'm not sure if that's a good idea." Asira had been content in silence for a time, but upon the offer to help the troll with the burial she remembered a part of the job that didn't play as much of a role in the discussion. "Part of this job is bringing the bodies back for burial. I doubt we're expected to exhume graves that have been made already, but at the very least we should see those who aren't in the ground yet back to the city."

The-Mage-King
2011-05-31, 05:45 PM
Shooting a glare at Asira, Iral says something in Elvish, apparently directed to her.

"<We can exhume them in a bit. I'm trying to keep a fight from breaking out- we didn't pick up the materials I suggested we should get, so a fight would be... inadvisable.>" He says, before turning back to Gidel.

"My apologies for slipping into a different tongue there. I had to remind my associate of something. Please, do share more about the Troll Prince. He sounds like quite an honorable and strong fellow."

true_shinken
2011-06-01, 05:28 PM
Gidel seems a bit uneasy, but doesn't stop his diggin. "I can't accept your help. This is my task, this is my honor. And what is this about taking the bodies back? They belong to us now, until we return them to god. I can't say more. Just let me get back to my work."

Talya
2011-06-01, 06:16 PM
Appearing to have heard enough, Sigrún looks at Mikael.

"Well, we seem to be at an impasse. What do you suggest?"

Thurbane
2011-06-01, 06:43 PM
Daris looks at Mikael and gives a silent nod.

Ganurath
2011-06-01, 06:56 PM
While the others talk, Asira moves to examine the grave markers of those that have been buried already, curious as to whether they would be in Common as well, or if the troll was just being considerate.

Hawk7915
2011-06-01, 07:30 PM
Mikael nods and stares intently at the troll. Casting the spell, he intones "I insist, Gidel. Step aside, allow Iral to work the graves, and tell us everything you know about the Troll King and his plans for Blackwall."

Casting Suggestion, will save (DC 19, thanks to spell focus) to resist.

Talya
2011-06-02, 05:53 AM
Sigrún holds, ready to act if combat starts.

true_shinken
2011-06-04, 12:52 PM
Gidel blinks, waves his head, grunts and finally speaks. "Oh, sure." and he steps aside. "We don't know much about the Troll Prince, not really. All we know is that when he speaks, our blood boils. He taught us magic, he taught us honor, he brought with him others that could help us - wyverns, bulettes, harpies, ogres. The Troll Prince is not mortal. The blood of the gods flows within his veins, and he is stronger and faster than any of us and he is also skilled with magic. He is the most powerful warrior under the sun.", he finally says, proudly.

Talya
2011-06-04, 09:52 PM
Gidel blinks, waves his head, grunts and finally speaks. "Oh, sure." and he steps aside. "We don't know much about the Troll Prince, not really. All we know is that when he speaks, our blood boils. He taught us magic, he taught us honor, he brought with him others that could help us - wyverns, bulettes, harpies, ogres. The Troll Prince is not mortal. The blood of the gods flows within his veins, and he is stronger and faster than any of us and he is also skilled with magic. He is the most powerful warrior under the sun.", he finally says, proudly.

"Others that could help you...do what?"

true_shinken
2011-06-05, 05:29 AM
"We are striving to create a kingdom for us trolls and other races you civilized races consider monsters. We aim at the remains of the Khadas kingdom because it represents the upcoming fall of the old empires."

Talya
2011-06-06, 06:46 AM
"Very impressive. And how does the death of our men relate to your Troll Prince's great plan?"

true_shinken
2011-06-06, 06:49 AM
"They attacked us on sight. It was a glorious battle."

Hawk7915
2011-06-06, 09:18 AM
"That was a regrettable decision on the part of the soldiers, then. Would your Troll King be open to parlay with the lords of Blackwall?"

true_shinken
2011-06-06, 11:27 AM
He grunts. "I think I could send him a message."

Talya
2011-06-06, 01:10 PM
"What manner of poison or venomous creature was it that killed our men, do you recall?"

true_shinken
2011-06-06, 01:27 PM
"I don't know what you're talking about, woman;"

Hawk7915
2011-06-06, 04:35 PM
"Hm. You say you participated in the battle; can you give us an account of what precisely happened? How were the human soldiers killed? Did they inflict any casualties on your band?"

OOC: If you feel I'm going outside the bounds of the original suggestion let me know and I'll cast a new one and/or throw out some Charms and diplomacy rolls

true_shinken
2011-06-07, 04:57 AM
"We engaged in battle and a few of them turned tail and ran. One of our own went chasing after them. He never came back."

Talya
2011-06-07, 07:43 AM
"I see," she paces, pensively, "Then something else poisoned all of them, your man...errr...troll included. There may be a third collumn here, an additional threat, to both our peoples."

true_shinken
2011-06-07, 09:00 AM
"I doubt that. The harpies would have noticed."

Ganurath
2011-06-07, 10:01 AM
"This discussion is fascinating, but I think everyone here needs to be a bit more objective-oriented." Asira looks up from the graves, which she had only been interested in to get in a more tactical position relative to the troll. "You said you're aiming at the remains of the Khadas empire? What if such a location is still occupied? It wouldn't help the civilized image of your new nation if you enter the political stage with... What closed minds would expect of your people."

true_shinken
2011-06-07, 10:36 AM
"Don't know much about this. Just know we need to start from somewhere."