PDA

View Full Version : i'm almost sure the answer is no but i should ask anyways

blazingshadow
2011-05-24, 01:50 AM
the archmage's spell like ability high arcana says that you can use a higher spell slot to get more uses of the spell you want

The spell-like ability normally uses a spell slot of the spell’s level, although the archmage can choose to make a spell modified by a metamagic feat into a spell-like ability at the appropriate spell level.

The archmage may use an available higher-level spell slot in order to use the spell-like ability more often. Using a slot three levels higher than the chosen spell allows her to use the spell-like ability four times per day, and a slot six levels higher lets her use it six times per day.

circle magic allows you to heighten a spell all the way to level 20.

can this modified spell be used as a 20th spell slot for the high arcana or at least make the spell be considered 20th level every time you use the spell like ability? hope you guys can understand what i'm trying to ask.

edit: circle magic allows you to also maximize and empower a spell too

gomipile
2011-05-24, 03:26 AM
I don't think so. A circle magic spell is not inherent to your character, or on your character sheet as a spell of that level, even, so you can't "give it up."

Big Fau
2011-05-24, 03:37 AM
SLAs have a Save DC based on your HD, not on anything else. Even the Archmage's SLA ability follows this rule.

As far as I know, only the Warlock's Eldritch Blast+Invocations and the Factotums Arcane Dilettante are exceptions to the rule.

ILM
2011-05-24, 03:43 AM
Circle Magic doesn't give you a spell slot, it only lets you cast a spell as though it were heightened to a higher level.

Also, there's a rules Q&A thread for this kind of questions :smallsmile:.

Douglas
2011-05-24, 08:29 AM
SLAs have a Save DC based on your HD, not on anything else. Even the Archmage's SLA ability follows this rule.
No, that's Supernatural Abilities. Spell-like abilities base their save DC on the spell level.

As for the OP, the SLA High Arcana requires that you sacrifice spell slots. Circle Magic does not under any circumstances give or modify a spell slot.