PDA

View Full Version : Necromorph Expy?

Drakevarg
2011-05-24, 05:32 AM
So this week I began my newest campaign, which is going pretty well save for a first-session PC death caused by a fumble in the face of a spiked pit trap. While I have enough material to last several sessions, I see no reason not to think ahead.

So I decided for my next sidequest-type thing I would throw Necromorphs at them. However, pouring through the (admittedly quite limited) selection of critters I had available, I could find almost no contagious undead with squicky anatomy. Obviously refluffing was always an option but that felt cheating. On the other hand, taking a non-contagious undead with squicky anatomy and handwaving their reproduction rang of DM Fiat.

Though right now it's looking like I may go for the latter regardless, namely by using Skulking Cysts and houseruling that upon death, a character with a necrotic cyst becomes a Skulking Cyst, regardless of their form of death (barring extenuating circumstances like disintegration).

However, I felt I'd leave the field open in the meantime, see if any of you could think of more interesting ideas. The party is 3rd level right now, but will probably be 4th or even 5th by the time they hit the Necromorphs. As per usual with my threads, please stick to material I actually have access to, listed in my banner. I'm not even using electronics in my campaigns anymore, so SRD is out of the question.