PDA

View Full Version : Gnome Fan Club

TheLonelyScribe
2011-05-24, 02:53 PM
Welcome to the Gnome Fan Club!

http://www.cubeupload.com/files/41a800gnomo1ei9.jpg from the PHB, page 57
Gnomes are just the best. The most interesting of races, the tread the borderline between fact and fiction, on one side being renowned inventors, tinkerers and scientists, but on the other side being great storytellers and illusionists. Each one is infused with magic, and they live in burrows!

This is the thread for those who love Gnomes, and who want to nurture them with their homebrew creations. Anything is welcome here, whether it be sub-races, spells, feats, PrCs, or whatever else. Extra fluff or any other information on Gnomes and how you keep them is accepted, even simply rants on the subject. Just keep it Gnomish.

My first contribution:
Gnomish Pride
You tread the line between fact and fantasy particularly well
Prerequisite: You must be a Gnome to take this feat
Benefit: You gain +2 checks in any one knowledge skill and +2 to bluff checks.

Gamer Girl
2011-05-24, 03:17 PM
A gnome Spell:

Foodricate
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: See Text
Range: Close
Target:Up to 1 cu. ft./level; see text
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell converts cooking ingredients into a prepared food. For example the caster could have all the ingredients in a kitchen together to make an apple pie. The magic of this spell cooks, bakes, cools and otherwise prepares the food to be ready to eat at the end of the spellcasting. This spell does not create ingredients out of nothing, so you will need apples to make an apple pie, for example. Living creatures or magic items cannot be created or transmuted by the foodricate spell. The quality of food made by this spell is commensurate with the quality of ingredients used as the basis for the new fabrication.

You must make an appropriate Profession(Cook) check to foodricate foods requiring a high degree of craftsmanship. Created food is at room temperature, unless a skill check is also made to raise or lower the temperature of the food(DC varies). A skill check can also be made to make minor alterations to the final food, such as writing a word with icing.

The spell can make up to 1 cubic foot of prepared food a level, assuming that a sufficient amount of all ingredients are present. The final prepared food need not be a single item, but may be several dozen loafs of bread, for example.
Casting requires 1 round per 1 cubic feet of material to be affected by the spell.
Material Component-The original material, which costs the same amount as the raw materials required to craft the item to be created.

Lore:This spell was originally created by gnomes. Gnomish legends say the spell was created by a hardworking gnome inventor who could just never find the time to stop his work and make anything to eat. So he crafted this spell to make food for himself. Another gnomish legend says this spell was created by a gnome as a substitute for doing the actual chore of cooking. And a third, non-gnomish legend says this spell was created by gnomes to help feed the voracious appetites of the hungry halfings that would come to visit gnome villages.

DracoDei
2011-05-25, 04:11 AM
Well, I really seem to be posting this a lot of places, but since this thread is specifically asking for contributions here is a PrC (yes, that whole thing is the name).

MEMBER OF THE MILITANT ARM OF THE RIGHT-HONORABLE, BOTH IN BATTLEFIELD CONDUCT AND IN MORE EVERYDAY CIVILITY, GNOMISH SOCIETY FOR THE STUDY AND THE PRACTICAL APPLICATION OF THE STORAGE OF ENERGIES OF MOTION IN WOODEN AND METAL ARMATURES AND THE RAPID RELEASE AND RESTORATION AFTER RELEASE OF THOSE ENERGIES FOR THE PURPOSE OF PROJECTING, WITH PRECISION, PROJECTILES, USUALLY OF A POINTED NATURE, FOR THE PURPOSE OF CAUSE HARM, FREQUENTLY TO POINT OF DEATH, AND IN RARE INSTANCES MEASURES BEYOND DEATH TO THOSE THAT GARL GLITTERGOLD WHOSE PRANKS ARE ALWAYS BOTH AMUSING AND INSTRUCTIVE, AGREES WITH OUR OWN HEARTS ON THE POINT THAT THE WORLD IS DECIDEDLY AND STRONGLY LIKELY TO BE A BETTER PLACE WITHOUT BEING IN SUCH CONDITIONS AS MAY FROM TIME TO TIME ALLOW THEM TO PROJECT FORCE UPON OTHERS BY MEANS OF MARTIAL ENDEAVOR. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6018203&postcount=5)

Gamer Girl
2011-05-26, 12:35 AM
Nosemorph
Transmutation (polymorph)
Level: Clr2, Sor/Wiz 2
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target:1 Creature
Duration: 10 minutes/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: yes (harmless)

This spell changes the shape of the targets nose, similar to the spell polymorph. The effected creature must have a humanoid face and a nose to be effected by this spell. The changed nose greatly enhances the target’s gnome or gnome-like qualities, making it appear more attractive, personable, and worthy of respect and admiration by gnomes. The target gains a +4 circumstance bonus to checks to influence gnomes (such as Diplomacy, Intimidate, and so on).

Arcane Material Component-some gnome nose hair

TheLonelyScribe
2011-05-26, 07:40 AM
Lovin' the Nosemorph.

Old Man Beltl Girsdoen Skymaster Mendledon Aksetskl
Few know much about Beltl's history, but he was certainly an eccentric even before he became famous. Devoted to one day being able to fly his own airships, even without the mark of the storm, he worked every day to get closer to his own dream of sailing the skies independently, free to roam the world. However, his attempts were snubbed and snubbed again until one day he gave up; focusing his energies on making airships and selling them, eventually getting himself a veritable hoard of gold.
The most famous part of his tale is the creation of his last airship, which he later named the Free-Minded Flyer. Whilst going through the normal binding process with an air elemental, the elemental thanked him profusely, as it had been facing death at the hands of adventurers on the elemental plane of air, and was willingly bound into the airship. Now Beltl lies on his back as the massive ship, crewed by his permanent Unseen Servant spells, roams the skies, fully in control of the air elemental. He sits on the open deck telling it stories and general having a good time; and, although it cannot speak, sometimes the crackling of its lightning has a hint of laughter to it.

DracoDei
2011-05-26, 10:25 AM
Old Man Beltl Girsdoen Skymaster Mendledon Aksetskl
Few know much about Beltl's history, but he was certainly an eccentric even before he became famous. Devoted to one day being able to fly his own airships, even without the mark of the storm, he worked every day to get closer to his own dream of sailing the skies independently, free to roam the world. However, his attempts were snubbed and snubbed again until one day he gave up; focusing his energies on making airships and selling them, eventually getting himself a veritable hoard of gold.
The most famous part of his tale is the creation of his last airship, which he later named the Free-Minded Flyer. Whilst going through the normal binding process with an air elemental, the elemental thanked him profusely, as it had been facing death at the hands of adventurers on the elemental plane of air, and was willingly bound into the airship. Now Beltl lies on his back as the massive ship, crewed by his permanent Unseen Servant spells, roams the skies, fully in control of the air elemental. He sits on the open deck telling it stories and general having a good time; and, although it cannot speak, sometimes the crackling of its lightning has a hint of laughter to it.

I got a chuckle of joy at this buddy story.

Dvandemon
2011-05-26, 10:50 AM
I call for an artist's illustration

Morph Bark
2011-05-26, 05:53 PM
So what do y'all people think of kobolds? :smalltongue:

DracoDei
2011-05-26, 05:57 PM
So what do y'all people think of kobolds? :smalltongue:
I think Bhu already has a thread on the subject...
(I suspect I am missing the point and this was supposed to be a joke of a sort that if it was meant more seriously would qualify as flame-bait.)

Morph Bark
2011-05-26, 06:08 PM
I think Bhu already has a thread on the subject...
(I suspect I am missing the point and this was supposed to be a joke of a sort that if it was meant more seriously would qualify as flame-bait.)

It was meant as a joke, seeing as how in my current campaign the players (and those reading the journal (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10612184)) there is a divide between kobold-lovers and gnome-lovers. All friendly of course. :smallsmile: (Plus I've seen such a trend in other places online as well.)

Myself, I like it when I see every race get something special of their own. Hence why I fully support this thread. I found your PrC to be amusing by name and useful by its abilities when I first came across it.

DracoDei
2011-05-26, 06:53 PM
I found your PrC to be amusing by name and useful by its abilities when I first came across it.
Yeah, I just hope the first doesn't turn people off of the second.

NineThePuma
2011-05-26, 08:47 PM
Grr... Gnomes. *kobold fa; can't find a purpose for Gnomes*

Find me a role for them that Halflings and Dwarves don't do better other than the random 'Illusions!' schtick. :smallsigh:

Dvandemon
2011-05-26, 09:28 PM
Artificer?

NineThePuma
2011-05-26, 09:43 PM
Dwarves have the "I make awesome equipment!" market cornered.

Halflings have the 'sneaky' role down pat. And a race that's only comic relief is... yeah... =\

Zaydos
2011-05-26, 10:14 PM
Fey creatures of the earth.

Gnomes were originally (in D&D) magical dwarves, and are closer to the unhallowed offspring of elves and dwarves than to halflings. That said they're pretty cool.

Dvandemon
2011-05-27, 12:04 AM

Halflings have the 'sneaky' role down pat. And a race that's only comic relief is... yeah... =\

That doesn't make for a good argument (and in this thread is probably flame bait), if you take away what the Gnome's good at, what else is there? That's not very fair

but anyways http://www.paulohsms.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/challenge-accepted-meme.jpg

DracoDei
2011-05-27, 12:16 AM
Your spoiler is empty Dvandemon.

NineThePuma
2011-05-27, 12:23 AM
@Zaydos: So Gnomes are "Midget Elves" then? :smallconfused:

@Dvan: My entire point is basically "Gnomes are only good at things that are already covered" :smallannoyed: Saying that it's not fair for me to take away the only things they're good at isn't really helping your point.

However, this is more than slightly off topic. I'll go write a topic up elsewhere.

Gamer Girl
2011-05-27, 12:33 AM
Gnome Flaw:

Arcane Conundrum

You are unable to use your inborn magical abilities.

Perquisite: Gnome, Cha 10

Effect: You may never use any spell-like abilities under any circumstances. In addition, you suffer a -2 penalty on saving throws versus spells of the illusion school.

PoorHobo
2011-05-27, 02:49 AM
Can someone come up with a medium sized conversion for gnomes that isn't just increasing their size to M? I've been trying to cook up something along the lines of powerful build like half giant have only the opposite, call it "slight build" or something to compensate for the increased movement speed (or just keep it at 20 like the dwarf) Anyone have any ideas?

PoorHobo
2011-05-27, 02:52 AM
@Zaydos: So Gnomes are "Midget Elves" then? :smallconfused:

How is that any different than Half-orc and Half-elf? Do they have roles that humans, orcs, and elves don't do better?

Morph Bark
2011-05-27, 03:27 AM
Can someone come up with a medium sized conversion for gnomes that isn't just increasing their size to M? I've been trying to cook up something along the lines of powerful build like half giant have only the opposite, call it "slight build" or something to compensate for the increased movement speed (or just keep it at 20 like the dwarf) Anyone have any ideas?

Slight build already officially exists (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a). Kobolds have it. Irony!

PoorHobo
2011-05-27, 03:39 AM
Slight build already officially exists (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a). Kobolds have it. Irony!

Yeah thats pretty much what I was thinking, but giving gnomes that, as well as making them medium would kind of make them over powered, don't you think?

Eldan
2011-05-27, 04:06 AM
Generally, I tend to give Gnomes the role often assumed by "High Elves". In settings where I use the traditional races, Elves tend to be nomadic forest dwellers, nature casters and sages, Dwarves are smiths and miners, but gnomes are wizards and scientists. They are the only core race with spell-like abilities. They have magic in their blood, and more than half of them are born with the ability to just create illusions instinctively. And they love illusions. Why paint a picture when you can just imagine it on the wall with enough power to make it seem real? Why get real gemstones when the magical ones can change colour and shine?

Serpentine
2011-05-27, 04:18 AM

Halflings have the 'sneaky' role down pat. And a race that's only comic relief is... yeah... =\Dwarves make awesome weapons, armour and big grand magical items and stuff.
Gnomes tinker. They do gadgets and gizmos and useful things that you hardly ever use but always get stuck in drawers.
Gnomes are to Dwarves what Leonardo da Vinci is to Henry Ford.
And, in my game, gnomes are the aforementioned tinkerers, the pirate-kingdoms, the semi-steampunk and, in one large region, they're the "Jews" (in the medieval, slightly distrusted moneylenders type sense) of the continent.
One of the best characters (not mine) in my game is a gnome, and she rawks.

Gnomes should get a bonus to Craft (Gizmo)...

TheLonelyScribe
2011-05-27, 10:01 AM
Two things. One, remember this is in the Homebrew forum, although I may set up another branch of the GFC in the roleplaying section.

Two, a response to NineThePuma's comments:
First you started your response with 'apart from illusions'. That's kind of like saying: apart from their thievery skills, what's cool about Halflings? Apart from their mountain strongholds and crafting, what's cool about Dwarves? Apart from magic and tree-houses, what's cool about Elves? Although there are, arguably, other cool things about those races, there are other cool things about Gnomes.

Secondly, you said that you couldn't see anything about Gnomes that wasn't already fulfilled by Dwarves and Elves: you could just as well say that you can't see anything about Dwarves and Elves that wasn't already fulfilled by Gnomes. Again, I think that, actually, there are substantial differences.

Although, indeed, Dwarves do have a crafting thing going on, they don't have a innovative, magical crafting thing going on, which is actually quite a big difference in the world of D&D. As Serpentine said, they are tinkerers and inventors, whereas Dwarves are rigid followers of traditions and rules. In fact, that is another place in which they differ considerably: outlook. Dwarves are all about seclusion, tradition and law; whereas Gnomes are all about trickery, pranks and evolution. Quite a different role in the world I would say.

However, I did start this post with a plea to return to homebrew stuff, and so here's a little thing just before I go:
Gnomish Magic
Prerequisites: Gnome, Cha<10
Benefit: In respect to spell-like abilities granted from being a Gnome, you behave as if you had 16 Cha. In addition, you gain one more use of Prestidigitation each day.

Gamer Girl
2011-05-27, 02:13 PM
The Nose Knows
Transmutation (polymorph)
Level: Clr 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Target:1 Creature
Duration: 10 minutes/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: yes (harmless)

This spell changes the shape of the targets nose, similar to the spell polymorph. The effected creature must have a humanoid face and a nose to be effected by this spell. The changed nose grants the following abilities: Scent special quality, +2 insight bonus to armor class, +6 bonus on alchemy rolls, +4 on profession(herbalist) and profession(cooking) rolls.

Focus-The caster must have, or at least touch the nose of a living gnome.

TheLonelyScribe
2011-05-29, 10:19 AM
The Zil Gnome, a Gnome better adjusted to how they're represented in the Ebberon campaign setting:

Change ability adjustments to -2 Strength, +2 Intelligence and Charisma

Lose low-light vision, weapon familiarity, bonus to attacks against goblins and kobolds, bonus to defence against giants, bonus to listen checks and Dancing Lights as a SLA.

Speak with Animals is now limited to those with 10+ charisma, and Prestidigitation is automatic.

+2 bonus to Bluff and Sense Motive checks. Gnomes are all caught up in a dense net of very enjoyable lies and intrigue, and so are accustomed to trickery in all it's many forms.

A gnome with a charisma of 10 or more has a slight alteration to his prestidigitation ability. Instead of only being able to use it for one hour once per day, the gnome receives a kind of 'prestidigitation reserve' of 1 hour. He or she can use prestidigitation for up to 1 hour per day, but this amount of time need not be continuous. This allows for a gnomish mother to have tidied herself up in the morning, as is customary, but to also wipe some dirt off her child's face later in the day.

A gnome can use prestidigitation for an additional hour per day for every point of charisma bonus he or she has.

Serpentine
2011-05-29, 10:27 AM
Dwarves make awesome weapons, armour and big grand magical items and stuff.
Gnomes tinker. They do gadgets and gizmos and useful things that you hardly ever use but always get stuck in drawers.
Gnomes are to Dwarves what Leonardo da Vinci is to Henry Ford.I think I figured out a better way of putting this.
To dwarves, magic is an art. It's old and proud and noble and grand.
To gnomes, magic is technology. It's for fiddling with and experimenting and using for day-to-day conveniences.

...I had an extra line, but I forget it.

NeoSeraphi
2011-05-29, 10:43 AM
I love gnomes! The two people that I usually play with (My roommates) are preoccupied with appearances, and they say they prefer their elves to be more "Tolkienesque" so elves in their worlds are actually closer to seven feet tall and pretty boys, while gnomes don't exist at all.

Here's a feat that I always thought should have been created.

Gnome Spell Focus
Illusions don't just run in your blood. They leak out your ears, which makes you even more fantastic at parties than normal gnomes.
Prerequisite: Gnome, Spell Focus (Illusion), Greater Spell Focus (Illusion), Caster Level 10
Illusion spells you cast receive a +2 bonus to their DC. This feat stacks with Greater Spell Focus, Spell Focus, and your racial bonus. Additionally, if you have a racial bonus to saving throws versus illusions, it increases by 2.

Eldan
2011-05-29, 10:56 AM
I love gnomes! The two people that I usually play with (My roommates) are preoccupied with appearances, and they say they prefer their elves to be more "Tolkienesque" so elves in their worlds are actually closer to seven feet tall and pretty boys, while gnomes don't exist at all.

Remind them that Tolkien's original name for "Noldor" was "gnome" :smalltongue:

Yora
2011-05-29, 11:30 AM
Find me a role for them that Halflings and Dwarves don't do better other than the random 'Illusions!' schtick. :smallsigh:
I went the other route and made gnomes a dwarf-halfling hybrid:

Ancient Land Gnomes
+2 Constitution, -2 Strength
Small size
Base land speed: 20 ft.
Low-light vision
+4 dodge bonus to AC against large size and larger humanoids, monstrous humanoids, and giants.
+2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities.
+2 racial bonus on Craft (alchemy) and Listen checks.

Gnomes of the Ancient Lands are short humanoids standing up to 4 feet tall with broad shoulders and round faces. Their skin is an earth-like tan color and their eyes are usually brown, grey, or blue. Almost all gnomes have hair ranging from light to very dark brown and males often have short beards. They are quite long living, often reaching 200 years of age.
Gnomes are at home in hills and forests and usually build most of their homes underground, with only doors, chimneys and a few windows at the outside and most of the living space located underground. While most gnomes tend to their fields and herds outsides, homes, workshops, inns, and shrines are usually completely underground, but its very uncommon for any gnomes to stay inside for more than a few days during summer. However in winter, most villages are mostly locked up with only hunters and woodcutters setting foot outside, as well as those checking on the stables and barns. Everyone else stays inside, using the underground tunnels and common halls that serve as streets and squares. Gnome villages usually range from two hundred to up to a thousand gnomes, but larger settlements are rare.

Being at home spending most of their time living and working underground, gnomes are also the most experienced miners. While most villages are self reliant and consists mostly of farms, some settlements are entirely devoted to mining and metalworking. These mines are often not much more than one large gate in the side of a hill, behind which the bulk of the village is located. Behind and below the village start the actual mines. Though many gnomish smith produce high quality goods, the real profits are made in producing and exporting quality steel. While bronze is a common material for most weapons and tools, the market for quality steel is almost entirely in gnomish hands, providing them with a great deal of power and influence. This is mitigated by the fact that most mines are village enterprises and consists only of a few hundred miners, so every mine produces only a relatively small output of metal, which is where the great metal trade companies come into play that negotiate distribution and prices with the customers.
Only in a very small handful of cases do gnome settlements grow to larger sizes, which are usually the main markets for metals and valuable rocks. Many of these towns resemble mining villages, but on a much larger scale and instead of being governed by a council of elders are ruled by the heads of the towns major families.

Gnomes are generally hospitable people, but usually settle in isolated places that don't see much travelers so they mostly keep out of the affairs of other people. It's different of course for the market cities, which see a lot of visitors, but those are mostly confined to visitor quarters between the outside gates and the city proper. While the visitor quarters are often very lively towns in their own right, the cities barely see any foreigners unless their are personal guests of the residents.
In addition to being well known for their skill at mining and refining metal, gnomes are also highly reknown herbalists and alchemists. While there's barely any export of those goods, gnomish alchemists are often consulted by healers and witches from other races for their extensive records on rare and unusual reagents and mixtures.

TheLonelyScribe
2011-05-29, 12:46 PM
Since Gnomes live underground I usually think of them as having pale skin, and blue-green, blue, purple or red eyes. In my mind they also have light hair, but this does vary from tribe to tribe.

Serpentine
2011-05-29, 12:49 PM
The main gnome city in my world has elegant, naturally pale (but often coloured) spire-like skyscrapers that plunge as far into the earth as they do up into the sky, connected with haphazard bridges and laneways, and covered in flowers and gardens. I was quite fond of it.

Eldan
2011-05-29, 01:13 PM
One of my campaign settings had no gnomes. They didn't exist, and had never existed. That's all silly rumours, really. They had no flying cloud cities, no hidden palaces below the sewers, and no agents disguised with illusions.

unosarta
2011-05-29, 02:32 PM
Steelform Earthcaster

http://www.deviantart.com/download/146604056/Warrior_Mage_sketch_by_KidScribbles.jpg

”The earth empowers our footsteps, but need not hold them down. The earth hides our movements, and shows our enemies a different story. The earth is our brother, our sister, our mother, and our protector. We must honor the earth, and all it has to offer us.”

-Holar Goodbrush, Steelform Earthcaster.

The Steelform Earthcasters are gnomish spell casters who combine the powers of the nine swords with those of illusions. They are the special forces of gnomish armies, or what you may have of a gnomish army. They use their cunning and wizardry in order to defend the earth and gnomes.

BECOMING A STEELFORM EARTHCASTER

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) 7 ranks, Balance 7 ranks
Feats: Earth Spell
Spells: Able to cast any three Illusion spells of Second level
Maneuvers: Able to initiate two Stone Dragon maneuvers each of Second level or higher, and one Iron Heart maneuver of Second level or higher
Race: Gnome
Special: Battle Ardor (Critical Confirmation) class ability
Special: Must have been indoctrinated into the Steelform Earthcasters

Class Skills
The Steelform Earthcaster's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Hide (Dex), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Martial Lore (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).
Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + int

Hit Dice: d10

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spellcasting

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Earthen Power|

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|In Song and Silence|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|Earthen Smite|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Power of Mind|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|In Storm and Blood|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+5|Stance of Stone and Strength|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+5|Earthform Stride|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

8th|
+6|
+2|
+6|
+6|In Tome and Torment|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

9th|
+6|
+3|
+6|
+6|Cascade of Steel|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

10th|
+7|
+3|
+7|
+7|Bespelled Earth and Solemn Steel|+1 level of existing spellcasting class[/table]

{table=head]Level|Maneuvers Known|Maneuvers Readied|Stances

1st|
1|
0|
0|

2nd|
0|
1|
0|

3rd|
0|
0|
0|

4th|
1|
0|
0|

5th|
0|
0|
0|

6th|
0|
1|
0|

7th|
1|
0|
1|

8th|
0|
0|
0|

9th|
0|
0|
0|

10th|
1|
1|
0|[/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: The Steelform Earthcaster gains proficiency with any gnomish weapon (a weapon with the word “Gnome” in the name). She does not gain proficiency with any armor or shields.

Spellcasting: At each level of Steelform Earthcaster besides first, the Steelform Earthcaster gains additional spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if she had also gained a level in whatever spellcasting class she belonged to before he added the prestige class. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (bonus feats, familiar progression, etc etc).

Maneuvers: The Steelform Earthcaster gains a new maneuver known from the Stone Dragon or Iron Heart disciplines at first, fourth, seventh, and tenth level, and a new maneuver readied at second, sixth, and tenth level. She gains a new stance from the Stone Dragon or Iron Heart disciplines at seventh level. The Steelform Earthcaster’s Steelform Earthcaster levels count for initiator levels as full, instead of half.

Earthen Power (Su): The Steelform Earthcaster becomes more powerful whilst casting on the ground, and her illusions become stronger. Whenever the Steelform Earthcaster casts a spell of the Illusion school and she is touching the ground with some part of her body, she gains a bonus to caster level equal to her Initiator level. This bonus to caster level may not cause her caster level to exceed her hit dice (thus, a Warblade 3/Illusionist 4/Steelform Earthcaster 1 who used this ability would gain a +6 bonus to caster level, causing her total caster level to become 8).

In Song and Silence (Su): The Steelform Earthcaster’s Illusions empower her melee strikes. Starting at second level, whenever the Steelform Earthcaster initiates an Iron Heart or Stone Dragon strike on a creature that is currently under the effects of an Illusion spell cast by the Steelform Earthcaster, that target takes a -2 stacking penalty to all Will saves versus an Illusion cast by the Steelform Earthcaster, and the Steelform Earthcaster adds her Intelligence modifier to the attack roll for the strike.

Earthen Smite (Su): The Steelform Earthcaster may empower her attacks with mystical energy, giving them further power. Starting at third level, the Steelform Earthcaster may expend a spell or spell slot, and deal an additional 1d6 damage per spell level of the spell or spell slot expended on all melee attacks for 2 rounds. This damage bypasses Damage Reduction, and is not subject to any resistances.

Power of Mind (Su): The Steelform Earthcaster may lose some martial prowess in order to power her spells. Starting at fourth level, the Steelform Earthcaster may expend a readied maneuver. The next Illusion spell she casts gains a bonus to the DC equal to one half of the level of maneuver she expended (rounded up, minimum 1), and lasts for an additional number of rounds, if it has a duration, equal to the level of maneuver expended.

In Storm and Blood (Su): The Steelform Earthcaster may channel her Illusions through her attacks. Starting at fifth level, the Steelform Earthcaster may cast an Illusion spell of her class level or lower that she knows as a swift action whenever she successfully hits with a melee attack. The Illusion spell only affects the creature upon which the melee attack was made. The melee attack that triggers this ability may not be part of a Strike or maneuver.

Stance of Stone and Strength (Ex): The Steelform Earthcaster’s extensive training with opponents larger than herself has given her the ability to become incredibly strong, like the earth. Starting at sixth level, the Steelform Earthcaster may, as a swift action, lose the benefits of her current stance and gain the benefits of the Stance of Stone and Strength. For the duration of the stance, the Steelform Earthcaster gains a +8 bonus to Strength, and Damage Reduction equal to twice her Steelform Earthcaster levels. In addition, whenever she is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the Steelform Earthcaster is treated as three sizes larger if doing so is advantageous to her. She is also considered to be three sizes larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect her. The Steelform Earthcaster can use weapons designed for a creature three sizes larger without penalty. However, her space and reach remain those of a creature of her actual size. The benefits of this stance stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.

Earthform Stride (Su): The Steelform Earthcaster may stride through the ground, going places that would have been otherwise impenetrable for her. Starting at seventh level, whenever the Steelform Earthcaster is under the effects of a Stone Dragon stance, she gains a Burrow speed equal to her base land speed.

In Tome and Torment (Su): The Steelform Earthcaster has learned to cast her spells while using her martial powers. Starting at eighth level, whenever the Steelform Earthcaster Initiates a strike of the Stone Dragon or Iron Heart disciplines, she may cast an Illusion spell she has access to as a free action. She may only use this ability once per encounter.

Cascade of Steel (Su): The Steelform Earthcaster may thrust herself forward, thrown by the earth, and strike each opponent. Starting at ninth level, the Steelform Earthcaster may Initiate a strike of the Stone Dragon or Iron Heart disciplines, and expend a spell of the same level. She may make an attack roll, if it is part of the maneuver, and use that attack roll against every opponent within a 30 foot line. If her attack roll exceeds the Armor Class of an opponent on the line, that opponent is affected by the strike. After all of the strikes resolve, she teleports 30 in the direction of the line. If the space where she would teleport is currently occupied, she is teleported to the nearest not occupied space.

Bespelled Earth and Solemn Steel (Su): The Steelform Earthcaster has learned the ultimate powers of her order, able to wield the earth like a weapon itself. Starting at tenth level, as long as the Steelform Earthcaster is standing on the ground, she may create an Earth Weapon as a move action. The Earth Weapon deals a base 3d6 Bludgeoning, Piercing or Slashing damage, and has a critical hit chance of 20/x3. The Earth Weapon counts as a Discipline weapon for Iron Heart and Stone Dragon maneuvers and abilities associated with Discipline weapons. The Earth Weapon has an enhancement bonus of one half of the Steelform Earthcaster’s Steelform Earthcaster levels. Any strike initiated from the Stone Dragon or Iron Heart discipline while wielding the Earth Weapon have their variable components maximized. Any spell of the Illusion school that has material components worth up to the Steelform Earthcaster’s Steelform Earthcaster level times 50 gp that the Steelform Earthcaster casts while wielding the Earth Weapon are ignored, and the Steelform Earthcaster may use their Earth Weapon as a focus for Illusion spells, instead of the regular focus necessary for a spell.

PLAYING A STEELFORM EARTHCASTER
Steelform Earthcasters are a very... special sort of gish. Unlike many martial spell wielders, they do not focus on buffing themselves, or dealing damage, but rather on misdirection and stealth, to a certain degree. They are, by necessity, lightly armored, and as such use their Illusions for both misdirection as well as defense. They use their maneuvers in order to fill out their offensive capabilities.
Combat: Steelform Earthcasters tend to start combat with Illusions. They create Illusions in order to confuse opponents, and then use the confusion in order to gain combat advantage. Even opponents who are aware of the Illusions’ false nature is still at a disadvantage, thanks to In Song and Silence. After that, they go to town, attacking whatever targets seem like the largest danger.
Advancement: There are relatively few options for a Steelform Earthcaster. One could go one of three ways; enhance melee capabilities, enhance spell casting, or go with a Maneuver/Spellcasting Prestige Class, such as Jade Phoenix Mage.
Resources: As defenders of Gnomish society, the Steelform Earthcasters actually have a relative dearth of resources that they can rely on. Most Gnomish settlements would arm, equip, and allow the Steelform Earthcaster rest without payment, although demands that are too frequent or too demanding may cause some doubt in the Steelform Earthcaster’s intent. The Steelform Earthcasters themselves are relatively wealthy, and able to provide for most of whatever the Steelform Earthcaster might need.

STEELFORM EARTHCASTER IN THE WORLD
”His face was covered by a strange mask. It almost seemed to be made of granite, and it glittered strangely. His eyes were a deep, deep green. He waved his sword at me, and I started to... well, I am not truly sure what happened after that. It felt like I was hallucinating, but it all felt so real! I saw my mother... she had died nine years ago, you know, when the Gnomish Hordes first started invading. She was murdered...

Well, when I stopped hallucinating, the man was gone. The duke was lying in a pool of his own blood, a small “g” carved into his forehead...”

-Ebindar Zariat, Captain of the Ducal Guard

The Steelform Earthcasters, for all their militant outlook, tend to be well received. To those who know of their exploits, the Steelform Earthcasters seem to be like vigilantes, of a certain form. To be certain, the gnomes who do underground or espionage acts tend to be Steelform Earthcasters, especially if such acts would need some extra muscle, however, the Steelform Earthcasters also function as a regular military group.
Daily Life: Most Steelform Earthcasters spend some part of their day meditating for spells, exactly as a regular spellcaster might. Their other activities are basically up to them, after that fact, however. Some might practice weapons, if they are off duty, some might be fighting for in a company of Steelform Earthcasters, some might adventure in order to spread the name of the Steelform Earthcasters, or to gain wealth for a gnomish community.
Notables: The first Steelform Earthcaster was Kirrirar Oshank, who was a master warrior-turned wizard. He used his powers of Illusion to further his martial capabilities, and then retired and taught others the arts he had learned.
Organizations: The Steelform Earthcasters are their own organization, highly dedicated to the advancement of gnome-kind.

NPC Reaction
Most NPCs know of the Steelform Earthcasters as gnomish militant wizards. Those who are most intimately connected to the acts that those in the espionage side of the Steelform Earthcasters might know them as spies and thugs in the employ of the gnomish government. Gnomes almost always treat the Steelform Earthcasters with respect, and vice-a-versa.

STEELFORM EARTHCASTERS IN THE GAME
The Steelform Earthcasters are a combination of Tome of Battle and spellcasting. They do not, or at least are not well able to, excel at both the martial arts and spellcasting, focusing on one or the other, rather. This choice is usually made after leaving the prestige class, and pretty much makes the decision of the strength of the class. Steelform Earthcasters who focus on melee tend to be less strong when compared to those who focus on spellcasting, solely because of how strong spellcasting is. However, because of their mix of both arts, they are able to be functional with either discipline of combat.
Adaptation: The Steelform Earthcasters could easily be adapted for Dwarves, or any other earthdwelling creature, even humans who have a particular affinity for the ground. In fact, the class could be adapted without even being race specific, simply as a group of casters who utilize Illusion and who are connected to the earth.
Encounters: Most encounters with the Steelform Earthcasters will be either while the Steelform Earthcaster is doing work for the Gnomish government, in which case it may or may not be violent, depending on what the Steelform Earthcaster is doing, or in a Gnomish settlement, in which case the encounter will more likely than not be peaceful.

jasonguppy
2011-05-29, 04:14 PM
Gnomes are THE BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEST!!!!!!!!!!!!

My first character was a Gnome Druid 10/Bard 2/Wizard 1/Dragon Disciple 10 (Epic)

He acciderntaly blew someone of a cliff with Gust of Wind, and they died, so he brought them (a dwarf fighter) back with reincarnate as a grizlly bear.

And gnomes rock. In my campaign, gnomes have different subraces:
Burrowclan (Pretty much normal gnomes, except a burrow speed and some other weird things, Earth Genasish)
Waveclan (Water Genasi+gnomes)
Galeclan (Air genasi+gnomes)
Magma Clan (Fire Genasi+ Gnomes+Superspeed)
Citygoers (Exile gnomes that live with humans)
and last but not least...
DEATH GNOMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BOMBOMBOMBOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (living undead, like the gnomes from taladas except EBIL!):smallfurious:

NeoSeraphi
2011-05-29, 04:30 PM
Steelform Earthcaster

Steelform Earthchaser

Wow. Huge-sized gnomes? I approve of this. The class itself really blends a gnome's connection to the earth with their illusions, and I never thought of using the Stone Dragon discipline for a racial class (Even though now I remember they did something with it for dwarves in the actual book)

The earth magic/maneuver theurge is done well. I like it a lot. And welcome to the fan club, by the way.

unosarta
2011-05-29, 04:53 PM
Wow. Huge-sized gnomes? I approve of this. The class itself really blends a gnome's connection to the earth with their illusions, and I never thought of using the Stone Dragon discipline for a racial class (Even though now I remember they did something with it for dwarves in the actual book)
Well, they gain the functional benefits of being Huge, but none of the penalties, and their size stays the same. So, basically, they become gnomes as strong as Huge sized creatures.

The earth magic/maneuver theurge is done well. I like it a lot. And welcome to the fan club, by the way.
Thanks! Although, to be honest, I was always part of the fanclub. :smallwink:

DracoDei
2011-05-29, 07:22 PM
I would change "Able to initiate two Stone Dragon maneuvers of Second level, and one Iron Heart maneuver of Second level"
to
"Able to initiate two Stone Dragon maneuvers each of Second level or higher, and one Iron Heart maneuver of Second level or higher"

Haven't looked at most of the class.

Solaris
2011-05-29, 08:05 PM
One of my campaign settings had no gnomes. They didn't exist, and had never existed. That's all silly rumours, really. They had no flying cloud cities, no hidden palaces below the sewers, and no agents disguised with illusions.

In mine, they're extinct. I couldn't find a role that humans or dwarves didn't already fill. Unfortunate implications in that the humans just got done with a genocidal war...

unosarta
2011-05-29, 09:47 PM
I would change "Able to initiate two Stone Dragon maneuvers of Second level, and one Iron Heart maneuver of Second level"
to
"Able to initiate two Stone Dragon maneuvers each of Second level or higher, and one Iron Heart maneuver of Second level or higher"

Haven't looked at most of the class.

Is there any reason for this change? But I digress, a minor change in wording isn't a problem, I can change it.

NineThePuma
2011-05-29, 10:16 PM
The change let's it be taken after, you know, 3rd level. When people stop carrying 2nd level stuff.

DracoDei
2011-05-30, 12:04 AM
The change let's it be taken after, you know, 3rd level. When people stop carrying 2nd level stuff.

Or more importantly to KEEP it after people stop caring about 2nd level stuff. Which happens to be at least character level 5 since that is when you start getting the level 3 stuff.

TheLonelyScribe
2011-05-30, 08:47 AM
Steelform Earthcaster

Very cool. I'm afraid I don't have the tome of battle myself, and so am unable to comment on the balance, but you seem to have put a reasonable amount of work into it and some of the abilities just reek of awesome.

Gnomish Architect
Prerequisites: Gnome, Cha 15, Knowledge (architecture and engineering) 8, Able to cast Summon Nature's Ally II or Animal Messenger or any other spell second level or above which lets you control animals
Benefit: You can control burrowing animals around you to help you to create tunnels in the earth, usually for use in an underground Gnomish settlement. For every level of spell slots you expend (0-level spells count as 1/2 a level), you can create 50 cube feet. It takes one hour for the animals to create 25 cube feet tunnel. The tunnels can only be in earth. Tunnels created in certain conditions may collapse, and can be used to weaken the foundations of buildings.

I just whipped this up and made it up as I went along. What do you think? It's quite powerful but has limited use, so I'm not sure about the balance.

unosarta
2011-05-30, 09:38 AM

Or more importantly to KEEP it after people stop caring about 2nd level stuff. Which happens to be at least character level 5 since that is when you start getting the level 3 stuff.

Oh, okay, I guess that makes sense.

NineThePuma
2011-05-30, 09:45 AM
Only the most douchebaggy DM ever would likely take away a class simply because of a wording mistake, but better to not cause that issue, eh? =3

Solaris
2011-05-30, 09:59 AM
Gnomish Architect
Prerequisites: Gnome, Cha 15, Knowledge (architecture and engineering) 8, Able to cast Summon Nature's Ally II or Animal Messenger or any other spell second level or above which lets you control animals
Benefit: You can control burrowing animals around you to help you to create tunnels in the earth, usually for use in an underground Gnomish settlement. For every level of spell slots you expend (0-level spells count as 1/2 a level), you can create 50 cube feet. It takes one hour for the animals to create 25 cube feet tunnel. The tunnels can only be in earth. Tunnels created in certain conditions may collapse, and can be used to weaken the foundations of buildings.

I just whipped this up and made it up as I went along. What do you think? It's quite powerful but has limited use, so I'm not sure about the balance.

Eh, I like it. I wouldn't have animal messenger as a prerequisite, though.

unosarta
2011-05-30, 12:06 PM
Only the most douchebaggy DM ever would likely take away a class simply because of a wording mistake, but better to not cause that issue, eh? =3

Good point. :smallsmile:

Eh, I like it. I wouldn't have animal messenger as a prerequisite, though.

Animal Messenger isn't really a prerequisite. It is a possible prerequisite, but there is also Summon Nature's Ally, or any spell that controls an animal.

TheLonelyScribe
2011-05-31, 01:49 PM
Song of the Gnome
Prerequisites: Gnome, Bardic music class feature, Perform 9 ranks
Benefit: If you sing or otherwise perform as part of the casting of an illusion spell, the duration of the spell is doubled (as if the Extend Spell feat had been applied to it, but without increasing the spell's effective level), and your caster level for that spell is treated as one higher. Spells with an instantaneous duration are not affected. If you perform while making a Craft (alchemy) check, you get a +4 racial bonus to your Craft check.
Special: Using this ability counts as one of your daily uses of bardic music

NeoSeraphi
2011-05-31, 01:53 PM
Song of the Gnome
Prerequisites: Gnome, Bardic music class feature, Perform 9 ranks
Benefit: If you sing or otherwise perform as part of the casting of an illusion spell, the duration of the spell is doubled (as if the Extend Spell feat had been applied to it, but without increasing the spell's effective level), and your caster level for that spell is treated as one higher. Spells with an instantaneous duration are not affected. If you perform while making a Craft (alchemy) check, you get a +4 racial bonus to your Craft check.
Special: Using this ability counts as one of your daily uses of bardic music

Does using the Song of the Gnome feat increase the casting time of the illusion spell (As applying metamagic normally does) or in any other way consume an action?

TheLonelyScribe
2011-05-31, 01:54 PM
Well, I was basing it off a feat from the Eberron book, but it doesn't say there, so I would guess yes, as it specifies that it doesn't increase the level but doesn't specify any other differences from Extend Spell.

jasonguppy
2011-05-31, 06:04 PM
Great stuff. I would add stuf, but i kinda am grokunded, so hmmmm...

SOON

bloodtide
2011-06-03, 03:47 PM
Sound Bubble
Evocation
Level: Sor/Wiz 0
Components: S, M
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Area: 5 feet radius emanation centered on the caster
Duration: 1 round (the next round after the spell has been cast)
Saving Throw: none
Spell Resistance: Yes(Harmless)

Upon casting this spell an invisible 5 feet radius spherical force surrounds the caster. During the next round, all words spoken by the caster cannot be heard beyond the spell’s area of effect.
Precisely, all sound deriving from the caster’s vocal cords is contained within the volume of the sphere, no matter how loud the caster speaks, yells or screams.
Any other sound made by the caster or another person/object within the sphere cannot be blocked and is normally heard beyond the spell’s range.
Thus, if the caster chooses to cast a spell with a verbal component, the spell takes effect normally since the correct words are spoken loud and clear within the sphere’s volume,
only that the sound of his voice does not travel further than 5 feet since it is clogged by the invisible sphere.
This spell does not overcome the effects of silence, nor does it allow the caster to speak in an environment or under any circumstances
that would normally deprive him of speech (e.g. underwater, polymorphed etc.). It simply contains the caster’s voice within the spell’s area of effect.
Material Component: A pinch of compressed wool.

Lore:This spell was created by the great gnome jokester Fallalimalous Fillelsterm for a simple use:To prevent others from ease dropping and hearing and stealing his jokes. By the use of this spell, Fallalimalous could tell the same joke to a group of dozens of people and other use tricks.

Gamer Girl
2011-06-08, 10:34 PM
Gnome Nose (Racial Feat)
Your nose is as sensitive then normal.
Prerequisite: Gnome, Con 14+
Benefit: The gnome gains a limited version of the scent ability. He can detect opponents by sense of smell, within 30 feet. If the opponent is upwind, the range is 60 feet or 15 feet if downwind. He detects strong scents such as smoke or putrefaction at twice the ranges noted above and overpowering scents, such as skunk musk or troglodyte stench, at three times these ranges. As a standard action, he detects another creature’s presence but not its specific location, only its direction. If he moves within five feet of the scent’s source, he can pinpoint that source. He cannot track another creature by scent, but he can identify individual smells with a Wisdom check (DC 15).
Special:This feat may only be taken at first level.

bloodtide
2011-06-16, 03:47 PM
False Glamer
illusion(Glamer
Level: Brd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Effect: Visual figment that is attached to a creature or object smaller than a 10-ft. cube.
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will disbelief (if interacted with)
Spell Resistance: no

This simple illusion will cause a solid object or creature to flicker and blur faintly, as if it were a flawed image. Failed attempts to disbelieve the illusion will appear to succeed, giving the object or creature the false appearance of a translucent outline.

Material Component: A handful of desert sand.

DracoDei
2011-06-17, 01:22 AM
False Glamer
illusion(Glamer
Level: Brd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Effect: Visual figment that is attached to a creature or object smaller than a 10-ft. cube.
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will disbelief (if interacted with)
Spell Resistance: no

This simple illusion will cause a solid object or creature to flicker and blur faintly, as if it were a flawed image. Failed attempts to disbelieve the illusion will appear to succeed, giving the object or creature the false appearance of a translucent outline.

Material Component: A handful of desert sand.
Not the first time I have seen such a spell.... but since the only other time was for SECOND edition, I think this is very good to have around.

bloodtide
2011-06-17, 11:06 AM
Not the first time I have seen such a spell.... but since the only other time was for SECOND edition, I think this is very good to have around.

This fits great for a gnome spell. First as they are know illusionists they would have a use for this, after all everyone knows they are illusionists and this spell uses that against foes. If gnomes are around, most people will likely think that 'everything' is an illusion.

Even better though, it's a great 'joke' spell.

mamothpriest
2011-06-17, 11:28 AM
Gnomes are to Dwarves what Leonardo da Vinci is to Henry Ford.

This is probably the most accurate statement made about the difference between Dwarven ingenuity and Gnomish ingenuity. Bravo Serpentine, bravo.

lerg2
2011-06-18, 02:39 PM
GNOMES!!!!!!!!!!! I like them. I am now making a gnome character.

Tanuki Tales
2011-06-18, 11:07 PM
Gnomish Sagaslayer

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/The_Logos/GnomishSagaslayer.jpg

”Last week it was a nest of Ankhegs and the week before a Hydra. Business just keeps booming and my coin purse is swelling, but I think my happy mood just got a little spoiled. So tell me again Mister...who were you calling a kid?”

-Besh Brownnettle, Gnomish Sagaslayer.

Bards sing tales of epic heroes in every tavern, sonnets populated by cunning and burly men who through the strength of their minds and the sweat of their backs crush monsters that would eat entire villages whole. Beowulf, Siegfried, Gilgamesh and Cú Chulainn are such the mighty mortals that spring to mind when a lad dreams of becoming an idol of yore. But sometimes the legendary destiny of such an august champion is contained inside a much smaller vessel.

When many think of the Gnomes, images of intricate and artistic devices spring to mind or possibly the breath taking and battle staggering illusion that their crafty trickery can birth. For those few unfortunate to know of them, even the spine chilling assassinations that the Whisper Gnomes are infamous for might jump to the forebrain. But never are Gnomes seen as a threat in physical combat by the world at large. Those small, child-like geniuses and mages could never hope to be a titan that strides between the bodies of the dead and defeat.

Such foolhardy and ignorant wretches soon find their comeuppance when they cross the path and raise the ire of a Gnomish Sagaslayer. As tough as any Troll and twice as vicious, a Gnomish Sagaslayer is an exception to the stereotypes of their kin. They are a pint-sized powerhouse who wades a sea of monstrous blood, dolling out the kind of punishment that could only be fathomed from the largest of giants and dragons.

These miniature brutes merely reinforce that one should never judge a book by its cover and never to underestimate someone who comes up to your groin.

BECOMING A GNOMISH SAGASLAYER

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Race: Gnome
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana, Dungeoneering, Nature, Planes, or Religion) 5 ranks, Survival 5 ranks
Maneuvers: Able to initiate one Stone Dragon strike and one Stone Dragon stance or one Iron Heart strike and one Iron Heart Stance or any combination of the previous.
Special: Must have killed a monster of a CR equal to or greater than their level in one on one combat prior to taking levels in this class.
Special: A Ranger or other class may forgo meeting the Knowledge skill requirement for this class if their Favored Enemy is one of the creature types covered by one branch of the required skill.

Class Skills
The Gnomish Sagaslayer's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Acrobatics (Dex), Climb (Str), Escape Artist (Dex), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (any two) (Int), Martial Lore (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Stealth (Dex), Surival (Wis).
Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + Intelligent modifier.

Hit Dice: d12

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|
Fighter of Giants, Grip of the Titan (One)

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|
Mettle, True Grit

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|
Grip of the Titan (Two), Soul of the Behemoth

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|
Underfoot Combat

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|
Grip of the Titan (Three), He Who Fights Monsters

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+2|
+2|
Body of the Mouse

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+2|
+2|
Grip of the Titan (Four), Penetrating Strike

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+2|
+2|
Veteran's Scars

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+3|
+3|
Confound the Big Folk, Grip of the Titan (Five)

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+3|
+3|
Heroic Apotheosis [/table]

{table=head]Level|Maneuvers Known|Maneuvers Readied|Stances

1st|
1|
0|
0|

2nd|
0|
0|
0|

3rd|
1|
1|
0|

4th|
0|
0|
1|

5th|
1|
0|
0|

6th|
0|
1|
0|

7th|
1|
0|
0|

8th|
0|
0|
1|

9th|
1|
1|
0|

10th|
0|
0|
0|[/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: The Gnomish Sagaslayer gains proficiency with any gnomish weapon (a weapon with the word “Gnome” in the name). She does not gain proficiency with any armor or shields.

Maneuvers: The Gnomish Sagaslayer gains a new maneuver known from the Stone Dragon or Iron Heart disciplines at first, third, fifth, seventh, and ninth level, and a new maneuver readied at third, sixth, and ninth level. She gains a new stance from the Stone Dragon or Iron Heart disciplines at fourth and eigth level. The Gnomish Sagaslayer’s Gnomish Sagaslayer levels count for initiator levels as full, instead of half. A Gnomish Sagaslayer recovers and readies maneuvers as a Warblade.

Fighter of Giants (Ex): A Gnomish Sagaslayer is adept at fighting in battles where more times than not her opponent is much larger than she is. A Gnomish Sagslayer gains a +2 dodge bonus to her AC per size category difference between her and her opponent.

This ability only functions when the Gnomish Sagaslayer is wearing light or no armor.

Grip of the Titan (Ex): A Gnomish Sagaslayer has a great potency trapped in her small frame, slowly gaining access to its depths as her experience grows. Any manufactured or improvised weapon wielded by a Gnomish Sagaslayer deals damage as if it were one size category larger than it actually is (to a maximum of Colossal).

For every two levels that a Gnomish Sagaslayer takes in this class the size category difference is increased to a maximum of five size categories at the 9th level.

Mettle (Su): A Gnomish Sagaslayer has a mind that is as easy to influence as the boundless sea and a body that is enduring as the living mountain. At 2nd level and higher, a Gnomish Sagaslayer can resist magical and unusual attacks with great willpower or fortitude. If she makes a successful Will or Fortitude save against an attack that normally would have a lesser effect on a successful save (such as any spell with a saving throw entry of Will half or Fortitude partial), she instead completely negates the effect. An unconscious or sleeping Gnomish Sagaslayer does not gain the benefit of Mettle.

True Grit (Ex): A Gnomish Sagaslayer is made of tougher stuff than most and as she gains experience she soon discovers that her flesh becomes further inured to the trade she deals in. A Gnomish Sagaslayer possesses Damage Reduction that can not be bypassed by any source equal to half her levels in this class.

Soul of the Behemoth (Ex): A Gnomish Sagaslayer, after fighting foes larger than her all her life, begins to move and act like her giant opponents. A Gnomish Sagaslayer functions in many ways as if she were one size category larger. Whenever a Gnomish Sagaslayer is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for a combat maneuver or opposed check (such as during a grapple, bull rush attempt, and trip attempts), the Gnomish Sagaslayer is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to her. A Gnomish Sagaslayer is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect her. A Gnomish Sagaslayer can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, her space and reach remain those of a creature of her actual size. The benefits of this class ability stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.

Underfoot Combat : A Gnomish Sagaslayer gains Underfoot Combat [Races of the Wild] as a bonus feat even if she does not normally qualify for it.

He Who Fights Monsters (Ex): A Gnomish Sagaslayer finds that after constant encounters with the forces of darkness she begins to innately utilize each foe's weaknesses against them. Whenever a Gnomish Sagaslayer fights a creature, she can make a Knowledge check based on its creature type provided she has at least one rank in the appropriate Knowledge skill.
She then receives an insight bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls against that creature type for the remainder of the combat. The amount of the bonus depends on her Knowledge check result, as given on the following table.

{table=head] Check Result|Bonus Granted

15 or below|+1

16-25|+2

26-30|+3

31-35|+4

36 or higher|+5[/table]

She can only make one Knowledge check per creature type per combat. If she fights multiple creatures of multiple types during the same combat, she can make one Knowledge check per type, thereby possibly gaining different bonuses against different opponents.

Body of the Mouse (Ex): A Gnomish Sagaslayer may throw down with titanic opponents but she has not forgotten where she has come from. She hones her diminutive origins to higher heights. The physical stature of a Gnomish Sagaslayer lets her function in many ways as if they were one size category smaller. Whenever a Gnomish Sagaslayer is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check or combat maneuver (such as Hide), the Gnomish Sagaslayer is treated as one size smaller if doing so is advantageous to her. A Gnomish Sagaslayer is also considered to be one size smaller when "squeezing" through a restrictive space. A Gnomish Sagaslayer can use weapons designed for a creature one size smaller without penalty. However, the space and reach of a Gnomish Sagaslayer remains those of a creature of her actual size. The benefits of this class ability stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category.

Penetrating Strike: A Gnomish Sagaslayer gains Penetrating Strike as a bonus feat even if she does not normally qualify for it.

Veteran's Scars (Su): As a Gnomish Sagaslayer tucks more and more battles under her belt, the trauma and horror of those brushes with death take their toll on not only her body but her very being. A Gnomish Sagslayer gains a bonus equal to her Charisma modifier (if any) to all her saving throws.

Heroic Apothesis (Su): As her legend spreads and her prowess grows, a Gnomish Sagaslayer finds herself going through a great change. Her type changes to Outsider (Native) and her Damage Reduction from her True Grit ability increases to be equal to her total levels in this class. Furthermore she ages a much slower rate, only aging one year for every five. A Gnomish Sagaslayer still accrues aging penalties and benefits as she actually ages and dies when her time is finally up.

PLAYING A GNOMISH SAGASLAYER
Gnomish Sagaslayers can be defined as "Tanky DPS"; a special niche of melee class that has good survivability but lacks the heavy defenses and attention grabbing abilities that are the hallmark for a true Tank. Gnomish Sagaslayers live in a world that constantly looks down on them, both literally and metaphorically, and they aren't ones to take it quietly or with good tempers. Gnomish Sagaslayers as such tend to develop chips on their shoulders and are more than satisfied to take out their frustrations and issues out on the foul monsters that make attempts on their lives.

Gnomish Sagaslayers can start their careers as any Martial Initiating class (Warblade being the most common), but are more commonly Rangers who specialized their talent for hunting by dipping and learning some blade magic. It is not unheard of though for other melee classes, like Barbarians or Fighters, to take the Martial Study and Martial Stance feats in order to tap into the power of this class.
Combat: Gnomish Sagaslayers always are on the front lines of a violent situation, never shirking from using their devastating talents. A Gnomish Sagaslayer tends to go for the largest or toughest opponent first to make use of their Fighter of Giants class ability but some favor assaulting the soft bodies of spellcasters first.
Advancement: Gnomish Sagaslayer may continue the path that lead them first to Gnomish Sagaslayer when it ends or may branch out into other appropriate prestige classes that further their innate qualities. A Gnomish Sagaslayer who experiences a psionic awakening almost always pursues the Slayer prestige class.
Resources: Belonging to no specific orders by virtue of being a Gnomish Sagaslayer and not tight knit enough to form an order amongst themselves, a Gnomish Sagaslayer normally does not have any special resources they can draw upon. Gnomish Sagaslayers passing through Gnomish communities may receive special treatment if recognized for what they are and the community is in a time of need against monstrous attackers but may just as likely try to expedite the Sagaslayer's departure lest their antics cause too much collateral damage. A talented Gnomish Sagaslayer can easily find themselves quite wealthy if they fall into being a Bounty hunter, Monster slayer or Sell sword.

GNOMISH SAGASLAYER IN THE WORLD
”Me and the boys thought it was pretty funny when we saw that girlie walk in through the front doors. Sure she had a shortsword on her waist and she was wearing chain mail but we were so sure at the time that it was all just for play. Almost choked on my grog when she approached Lars and actually asked him for a full pint! And then when she started get all huffy at the old barkeep we were all laughing!

But...that's when things stopped being so funny....

She must have been a demon the way she broke that chair against Lars and put him out cold and things got mostly hazy in the brawl that started afterwards. Last thing I remember was seeing an entire table coming my way and hitting the wall, but after that it was all a blur.

The place was a wreck when I came too and I thank my lucky stars that I came out with just a few bruises and a broken arm. I still have me life...some lads weren't so lucky.”

-Daggot Finergan, Local pirate

Gnomish Sagaslayers are at best received similarly to other adventurers of the melee persuasion and at worst taken in as children who are running around playing silly games, trying at being adults. Those who recognize a gnome for what it is rarely can see the distinction between a Fighter, Barbarian, Ranger or Gnomish Sagaslayer and usually suffer for making the wrong assumptions. Too few are the knowledgeable or scholarly who know the existence of this breed and few gnomes are willing to divulge the secret that any battle inclined member of their people you could meet could in reality be a temperamental champion of yore who hunt monsters and can leave great chaos in their wake.
Daily Life: A Gnomish Sagaslayer's daily life is really no different from that of any Barbarian, Fighter, Ranger or other class that they originally belonged to.
Notables: No one knows who the first Gnomish Sagaslayer may have been and so scattered and minimally renowned are they as a group of similar individuals that any who gain fame and glory have yet to be immortalized for being one in any but the most forgotten of analogues.
Organizations: Gnomish Sagaslayers possesses no organization of their own and only are likely to belong to others on an individual basis.

NPC Reaction
Most NPCs are not even aware that a Gnomish Sagaslayer is any different than normal for the class they took before becoming one and treat them as such. Gnomes tend to treat Sagaslayers with a mix of hero worship and caution; though they are great figures who fight the most deadly of creatures they are also naturally destructive and can be quite unbalanced from years of torment and hardship.

GNOMISH SAGASLAYERS IN THE GAME
Gnomish Sagaslayers are strong melee fighters who mostly dabble in Blade Magic from the Tome of Battle in order to supplement and increase their capabilities in combat. Sagaslayers tend to sacrifice the sheer durability or versatility that their base class would have granted with further levels in order to gain a sharp upturn in damage capability coupled with some increased survivability. Sagaslayers tend not to be adapt enough at Blade Magic to be as competent as a true Initiating class but they can easily be a spring board for other classes and prestige classes that further or require training in it.
Adaptation: The Gnomish Sagaslayer can only really be adapted to be utilized by races that are naturally small or smaller. It's meant to give some serious oomph to those species that aren't ever viewed as a credible brawny threat because of their size.
Encounters: Encounters with Gnomish Sagaslayers most commonly either occur the same as with their base classes or during an intrepid adventure into the lair of some dangerous and/or horrific monster that has a price on its head or is otherwise infamous.

Note: This class was built using 3.PF rules.

DracoDei
2011-06-19, 12:11 AM
Can you have one Iron Heart STRIKE and one Stone Dragon STRIKE? Because the way the pre-requisites read, that would be allowed.

I didn't really get any further than the pre-requisites.

Tanuki Tales
2011-06-19, 12:13 AM
Can you have one Iron Heart STRIKE and one Stone Dragon STRIKE? Because the way the pre-requisites read, that would be allowed.

Sure. The maneuvers are more a supplemental skill set for the class itself and not the main focus.

DracoDei
2011-06-19, 12:16 AM
Sure. The maneuvers are more a supplemental skill set for the class itself and not the main focus.

Sure, but stances are much of a limited resource than other types of maneuvers, so it really makes the class a LOT "cheaper" to qualify for.

EDIT: Source for "Underfoot Combat" would be nice.

Tanuki Tales
2011-06-19, 12:19 AM
Sure, but stances are much of a limited resource than other types of maneuvers, so it really makes the class a LOT "cheaper" to qualify for.

Not particularly. I had originally envisioned it without any Maneuver progression at all and later added it in to round it more out. The only change was to drop needing 5 ranks in 2 Knowledge branches to any one.

DracoDei
2011-06-19, 12:23 AM
Not particularly. I had originally envisioned it without any Maneuver progression at all and later added it in to round it more out. The only change was to drop needing 5 ranks in 2 Knowledge branches to any one.
None of which changes the fact that it is much "cheaper" to qualify with two maneuvers than with a maneuver and a stance.

On un-related note, in case you missed it due to my editing, let me repeat: Source for Underfoot Combat would be nice.

Tanuki Tales
2011-06-19, 12:29 AM
None of which changes the fact that it is much "cheaper" to qualify with two maneuvers than with a maneuver and a stance.

On un-related note, in case you missed it due to my editing, let me repeat: Source for Underfoot Combat would be nice.

And as I said, not particularly. A Warblade has access to both Iron Heart and Stone Dragon naturally and would probably end up picking a stance from one of them at some point by level 5.

A dipping class is no real different from the non-dipper who blew 2 whole feats to qualify.

So you're either devoting some of your class resources as an Initiator, a whole level to dip (assuming you don't care about progressing your initiating much) or at least two feats to qualify. Not too cheap in my opinion.

And added the source in the text.

DracoDei
2011-06-19, 12:37 AM
And as I said, not particularly. A Warblade has access to both Iron Heart and Stone Dragon naturally and would probably end up picking a stance from one of them at some point by level 5.

A dipping class is no real different from the non-dipper who blew 2 whole feats to qualify.

So you're either devoting some of your class resources as an Initiator, a whole level to dip (assuming you don't care about progressing your initiating much) or at least two feats to qualify. Not too cheap in my opinion.

And added the source in the text.
Said "cheaper", not "too cheap". Too tired to make value judgements. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

Tanuki Tales
2011-06-19, 12:40 AM
Said "cheaper", not "too cheap". Too tired to make value judgements. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

It's fine; I look forward to your fully awake and in proper mind judgements tomorrow. :smallbiggrin:

Gamer Girl
2011-06-22, 10:30 PM
Freeze Tag
Evocation(cold)
Level: Sor/Wis 3
Components:V
Target: 1 Creature
Duration: 1 min/ lvl
Saving Throw: Reflex negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell is similar to Hold Person but only in its end result. By means of this spell, the target is frozen in place by a thin icy force. The icy force is not harmful, but it isn't fun. The target is frozen in place by the icy force for the duration of 1 min per level of caster. A target may be "thawed" by causing 5 points of heat or fire damage to the target. This damage does harm the target if they are vulnerable to such elements. The spell can be foiled by any magics that prevent ice/ cold damage equal to 1 point per level of caster.

Serpentine
2011-06-24, 05:18 AM
This is probably the most accurate statement made about the difference between Dwarven ingenuity and Gnomish ingenuity. Bravo Serpentine, bravo.Yay, approval! :biggrin:

Omeganaut
2011-06-25, 09:36 AM
I'm a big fan of gnomes (ignore the avatar), and my favorite character is probably my gnome bard, who has stumbled into many campaigns in many different incarnations. My DM's have not been happy with my characters SLA's, and the creative uses I have found for them.