PDA

View Full Version : [3.5/PF] Diplomacy and Bluff on blind character!

Fenryr
2011-05-24, 03:44 PM
Hello!

A friend of mine has a blind character. Then he suddenly realizes: "Hey! Do people get bonus or penalties when using Diplomacy against me? I mean, I can't really see them. Then the beauty is useless here." Also, the gestures, smiles and so on.

I suggested him to ask for the Charisma modifier to be removed when they roll Dipomacy to him.

Same theme goes for Bluff. What should happen, peeps?

subject42
2011-05-24, 03:49 PM
Mechanically, there is nothing in the rules stating that vision is a necessary component of either skill check.

As a DM, I would look at the scenario and apply a circumstance bonus as necessary.

Boci
2011-05-24, 03:53 PM
Diplomacy cannot be used against PCs, but if that rule is not being used I would half the users cha bonus since yes, some techniques would be useless. He would only gain half his wisdom modifier on detecting bluffs however, because he could not read body language.

Jjeinn-tae
2011-05-24, 03:56 PM
Charisma is more than physical attraction, it also deals with voice, force of personality and leadership.

I'd say figure out where the CHA is coming from, and if the person is just good looks, yeah ignore the charisma. Other things though, they aren't really ignored by people who can't see.

Luckmann
2011-05-24, 03:59 PM
DM fiat.

Charisma is a function of a number of senses and sensibilities. This includes things like being a foxxy lady or being beautiful, but it could also be interpreted solely as a matter of personal magnetism and inter-personal willpower.

I'm entirely on Subject42's line of thinking. A DM should be encouraged to take the blindness into account for the purpose of RP, but also look and weigh each situation.

You could just as be sentenced to take penalties yourself, because whomever you are trying to bluff or diplomance into doing what you want can't see your eyes. :smalltongue: