PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #792 - The Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2

The Giant
2011-05-24, 06:48 PM
New comic is up.

Shale
2011-05-24, 06:49 PM
Oh man. Belkar is not going to like this dose of irony.

Elan's Modron
2011-05-24, 06:50 PM
Nooooooooo! Mr Scruffy!

-good work, Giant! Argh, that arrow went right into my heart!

Marnath
2011-05-24, 06:50 PM
I hate this new kobold even more now. Poor Mr. Scruffy.:smallfrown:

Saint Nil
2011-05-24, 06:51 PM
:smalleek:

Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Khal
... Super extra chunky salsa, incoming?

CoffeeIncluded
Oh geez, the moment Belkar finds out...:smalleek:

RndmNumGen
2011-05-24, 06:52 PM
Excellent, as always. :smallbiggrin:

RebelRogue
2011-05-24, 06:52 PM
No, not Mr. Scruffy! :smalleek:

Alleran
2011-05-24, 06:53 PM
That kobold isn't going to know what hit him when Belkar finds out. :smallamused:

unknownmercury
2011-05-24, 06:53 PM
That Kobold's as good as dead. You don't shoot Belkar's cat. You just don't.

Nix Nihila
2011-05-24, 06:54 PM
Oh no! Poor Mr. Scruffy. :smallfrown:

And yes, I hate spell resistance too, V.

dsavereide
2011-05-24, 06:58 PM
At this moment I realized that I could take whatever happens to just about anyone else. But not Scruffy. Scruffy can't die! Well, maybe Elan and Haley have to make it too.

I hope he knows the way back to the arena, because the moment Belkar hears, how'd that cat get back here...that dog has had it.

Gift Jeraff
2011-05-24, 07:00 PM
Oh my, this is the first time I actually went "NOOOOO!!!" to a strip (in my head, of course), and I was actually half-expecting Mr. Scruffy to die soon. But I still hope he doesn't. :smallfrown:

And could my baseless speculation that Yukyuk abuses animals have been partially right?! :smalleek:

Wait, I'm not worried anymore. There's a chance that might not be Mr. Scruffy. I mean, how many ways can you draw a cat? I'm not saying I think it isn't Mr. Scruffy--because I think it is--I just don't want everyone jumping to conclusions. :smallwink:

Shale
Of course it's Mr. Scruffy. Vaarsuvius had him, remember?

suszterpatt
You can tell Blackwing hasn't been around for long.

You don't make those kinds of excited claims in advance in this strip. :P

Meta
2011-05-24, 07:01 PM
Scruffy, no! Good job chatty raven, though

RndmNumGen
2011-05-24, 07:01 PM
Wait, I'm not worried anymore. There's a chance that might not be Mr. Scruffy. I mean, how many ways can you draw a cat? I'm not saying I think it isn't Mr. Scruffy--because I think it is--I just don't want everyone jumping to conclusions. :smallwink:

A 0.1% chance, maybe. :smallwink:

Azuyomi244
2011-05-24, 07:02 PM
O noes!!!:smalleek:
I hope Mr. Scruffy's gonna be ok!

Scutilla
2011-05-24, 07:03 PM
They shot the cat! :smalleek:

Yukyuk just became a future hat/chip salsa donator.

(Shows where my priorities lie- three strips ago I was more interested in Zz'dtri's reveal than Haley's lawn ornament status, and now I'm all concerned for the cat.)

Yagerr
cats arent meant to be tanks

ArlEammon
I AM BECOME BELKAR!!! DESTROYER OF WORLDS!!!
Belkar is going to start an anti-Kobold genocide.
That's all I have to say at this moment.

Silverraptor
I think I know how Belkar is going to die now...

Tragic_Comedian
2011-05-24, 07:04 PM
It's gonna be a real bummer if Mr. Scruffy kicks the bucket.

Yana
2011-05-24, 07:05 PM
Blackwing continues to cement his position as my favorite Order member.

QDI
I hope Belkar will have a hat AND a carpet at the end of the battle...

Gift Jeraff
Just noticed Z's mouth is staying closed this time. They were open in #789-790, but smaller than most characters' mouths. Wonder if it's in response to those two threads.

Of course it's Mr. Scruffy. Vaarsuvius had him, remember?
I was poking fun at the Qarr debate from #790's discussion thread.

Fluke_Bandywag
2011-05-24, 07:06 PM
Like a Spinal Tap drummer, this kobold's fate just got sealed.

ajkkjjk52
2011-05-24, 07:06 PM
What noble is V's familiar referring to? Can someone link a reference?

Gaius Marius
2011-05-24, 07:07 PM
Someone will die hard, painfully and slowly..

Lord Raziere
2011-05-24, 07:07 PM
ever have one of those feelings where something really triggering has happened but you don't see the full consequences of the trigger yet and the possibilities scare you?

cause thats what I'm feeling right now.....

Gift Jeraff
2011-05-24, 07:08 PM
Kubota. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0509.html)

silvadel
Mess with the cat at that level and watch while Belkar ties you down and pays V to cast Tenticles of Forced intrusion several times.

Ridureyu
If Mr. Scruffy dies, the comic-reading audience will cry, wail, rend their clothes, pour ashes on their heads, and likely die.

And Belkar will go Super Saiyan.

Giggling Ghast
2011-05-24, 07:09 PM
Bastard! :smallfurious:

Nerocite
2011-05-24, 07:11 PM
Poor kitty. This will end bad for Yukyuk.

Venerable
2011-05-24, 07:11 PM
Giant, Blackwing's speech bubble in the second panel misspells "Vaarsuvius" [it omits the 's'].

Roland Itiative
2011-05-24, 07:12 PM
Lord Kubota, from Azure City (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0509.html). And I'm really looking forward for what's to come for this new Kobold... If messing with the Belkster makes you a hat, I can't even fathom what'll happen to a Kobold that messes with the only other thing he loves in the whole world :smalltongue:

Great strip, as always.

RaggedAngel
2011-05-24, 07:14 PM
Hm. It seems that Z's drow LA isn't much of a hindrance in this caster-fight, even though those two levels (and one spell level) usually make a big difference, at least in my experience. I'm going to assume this is due to the dramatic "rival must be a high enough level to be a threat" rule.

Also, I'm rather concerned for Mr. Scruffy. Even as an animal companion to a high-level ranger, he can't take too much damage. A housecat is still a housecat, and he's not fighting a Commoner anymore.

Also, V seems to be favoring Quickened spells. While the Min-Maxer in me is proud, he really shouldn't be targeting the Will save of another caster, especially with a spell that allows SR. Hold Person is nice, but even given an Int of 30 or so the DC isn't going to be enough to really threaten Z.

Lex-Kat
2011-05-24, 07:17 PM
Get `im Sir Scraggly!! Kill that cat!! :belkar:

Forealms
2011-05-24, 07:19 PM
I swear, if Mr. Scruffy dies, I will personally go into OotSverse and kill that riding dog with my bare hands :smallfurious:

Though there is literally nothing I could do that would compare to what Belkar would have in store for the dog and the kobold.

Forikroder
2011-05-24, 07:21 PM
Get `im Sir Scraggly!! Kill that cat!! :belkar:

:smallmad:
:smallfurious:

Shoelessgdowar
2011-05-24, 07:21 PM

This Noble, Lord Kubota, the one who knows how to conceal his lies and commanded Therkla (Qarr is the only one of these 3 still alive... I think that bodes badly for Z)
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0562.html

----------------------------------------------------------

Belkar will not be making a helmet nor salsa dish from Yukyuk (cause he's been there and there and done that and that)... He's going to make a cat bed and blanket from Mr. Scruffy from Sir Scraggles and Yukyuk.

t209
2011-05-24, 07:23 PM
Someone will die hard, painfully and slowly..

If it's vaarsuvius, Belkar might take part in it according to the prophecy made by a kobold prophet.

Homunculus
2011-05-24, 07:23 PM
kill of the cat and i will force myself not to read oots anymore after six entertaining years :smallfurious:

ThePhantasm
2011-05-24, 07:24 PM
Scruffy is hurt!

Belkar isn't going to be happy about that. . .

Gray Mage
2011-05-24, 07:24 PM
Kubota. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0509.html)

Are you sure you want to jump at this conclusion? :smalltongue:

Also, really liked Sir Scraggly and Yukyuk vs Mr. Scruffy.

moonfaerie
2011-05-24, 07:33 PM
I hope Mr. Scruffy survives. I've never thought much of Belkar dying but I don't want the cat to die. :smalleek:

ricorum
2011-05-24, 07:35 PM
If Belkar doesn't do it, I swear I will. I'm a dedicated cat person, and this crosses the line.

brionl
2011-05-24, 07:35 PM

Also, really liked Sir Scraggly and Yukyuk vs Mr. Scruffy.

Sure, there's no evidence that it's Mr Scruffy. It could just be some other random white cat. Even though it wouldn't make any sense.

Jaffo
2011-05-24, 07:36 PM
Okay, show of hands. Who thought, "Giant will never hurt the cat?"

*raises hand*

That's what makes good drama. Defying narrative expectations.

Sr.medusa
2011-05-24, 07:37 PM
when Belkar turn himself into a vamprie, he avenge this poor cat.

Forikroder
2011-05-24, 07:38 PM

*raises hand*

maybe Z's baleful polymorph got deflected somehow by the counterspell and turned some random dude into a cat
then hed be safe?
hed be safe right?:smallfrown:

JSSheridan
2011-05-24, 07:41 PM
Thanks Giant!

Squark
2011-05-24, 07:41 PM
That crosses the line... Being made into a hat is too good for this one!

Yukyuk isn't funny*. He needs to spend the rest of his days as a chamber pot. Or worse.

*It's a shame, really. The pun would have been kind of funny.

Arraxis
2011-05-24, 07:42 PM
I'm calling it now - Mr Scruffy survives, but Belkar dies. I hope I'm wrong, personally, but that's what my narrative instincts are telling me.

the_tick_rules
2011-05-24, 07:49 PM
When Belkar sees that arrow it's ON.

Gaius
2011-05-24, 07:49 PM
maybe Z's baleful polymorph got deflected somehow by the counterspell and turned some random dude into a cat
then hed be safe?
hed be safe right?:smallfrown:It'd be potentially interesting if counterspelling worked like that in D&D, but alas: it's a simple negation. :smallfrown: Odds are the Scruffinator really is in dire straits.

Debatra
2011-05-24, 07:51 PM
I predict YukYuk will live.

...In neverending agony, extended by every means available to Belkar.

Lex-Kat
2011-05-24, 07:52 PM
I'm calling it now - Mr Scruffy survives, but Belkar dies. I hope I'm wrong, personally, but that's what my narrative instincts are telling me.
If this happens, I shall be satisfied. I truly can't stand Belkar. He's as annoying to me as Miko was to others. Kill him!

Valley
2011-05-24, 07:53 PM
HE SHOOT Mr Scruffy?!?!

Oh....I do not think the next few days are going to be full of roses and wine.

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-24, 07:54 PM
RUn MR Scuffy! RUN!

Timeless Error
2011-05-24, 07:55 PM
NOOOOOOO!!! Not Mr. Scruffy!

How dare that vile, pathetic, miserable Yukyuk touch Mr. Scruffy. :smallfurious:

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-24, 07:56 PM
So, he's a ranger/rogue?

Surfing HalfOrc
2011-05-24, 07:57 PM
The ONLY thing Belkar ever cared about, shot by a kobold ranger? This will not end well for somebody!:smallfurious:

Gift Jeraff
2011-05-24, 07:58 PM
A thought: does picking on animals count as an opposite trait? Y'know, since Belkar prefers murdering bipedal, sentient beings.

Anyway, my narrative instincts tell me that Scruffy is a red herring, but Belkar's line is hinting that the Linear Guild will make a serious impact this time around (intentionally, since last time they made a big impact accidentally by keeping the OOTS in Azure City long enough). I think they will kill at least one character who is significant and/or threatening enough to let us know they are more than just the Team Rocket appetizer to the main course that is Team Evil, either to build up hype for the endgame or let the LG go down in a blaze of glory.

My guesses on the possible victims and their killers:Belkar - Nale
Tarquin - Nale
Ian - Sabine
Geoff - Any Linear Guilder, really (Okay, he's not really that significant yet nor threatening, but I think he's gonna die)
Empress of Blood - Thog

Well played. :smallcool:

Nate the Snake
2011-05-24, 08:01 PM
So, he's a ranger/rogue?

That actually makes sense in terms being Belkar's opposite. Belkar is a ranger who multiclassed for brute force damage (barbarian rage), while his kobold counterpart is a ranger who multiclassed for precision damage (rogue sneak attack).

Zea mays
2011-05-24, 08:02 PM
Mr Scruffy!! Mr. Scrufffyyyyy!!!

Meep. I hope the kitty makes it. :smalleek:

And good on ya Blackwing for figuring out the imp.

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-24, 08:03 PM
Cats can't be ressurected, can they? :smallfrown:

MoonCat
2011-05-24, 08:03 PM
Oh god NO, Giant!

That bastard who shot him is going down! Slowly. With lots of pain. Maybe a Familicide if Belkar would be able to cast it.

Meta
2011-05-24, 08:08 PM
The giant is setting up for Familicide number two. Peace, kobolds.

Forikroder
2011-05-24, 08:09 PM
Cats can't be ressurected, can they? :smallfrown:
thay can

unless Mr.Scruffy is na outsider

ORione
2011-05-24, 08:12 PM
When Belkar sees Mr. Scruffy's injuries, he's going to demonstrate the best part about multi-classing to barbarian.

Roland Itiative
2011-05-24, 08:13 PM

More like Sexy Shoeless God of War Part 3. And now it'll be personal.

MoonCat
2011-05-24, 08:13 PM
When Belkar sees Mr. Scruffy's injuries, he's going to demonstrate the best part about multi-classing to barbarian.

And if Mr Scruffy dies (which will NOT happen!!!) we'll see Belkar cry. For real.

M.A.D
2011-05-24, 08:17 PM
I think ghosts can still smell, so do they actually breathe?

A 0.1% chance, maybe. :smallwink:
What are you talking about? There's at least 10% chance of that cat not being Mr. Scruffy

Cuz, y'know.. 10% is pretty unlikely, but every body knows what 1 in a thousand is a sure thing.

Dalek-K
2011-05-24, 08:18 PM
Wait..

The death of mr scruffy will be because belkar can't cast spells.... (low wisdom)
Thus Belkar will raise his wisdom (he has been saving those points for later)

BOOM wise and pacifist belkar is born :D

Ok so no I don't want that (or do i dun dun duun), but this may be the first kobold that actually deserves the death he is about to be given... (Oracle doesn't count ... He didn't stay dead :p)

Grumpy-Mcfart
2011-05-24, 08:18 PM
if I was there I'd pay a wizard to research a D&D version of the sphere of infinite agony (mentioned in an episode of angel) specifically for yukyuk!

I like cats.

a lot.

zyborg
2011-05-24, 08:19 PM
I think this is when Belkar is going to finally use Barbarian's Rage. I don't think that's what he used in the "S.S.G.o.W." sequence, as he just seemed to be enjoying it. This is going to be REAL RAGE!

M.A.D
2011-05-24, 08:19 PM
And if Mr Scruffy dies (which will NOT happen!!!) we'll see Belkar cry. For real.

We have already seen Belkar cry. Twice

Dalek-K
2011-05-24, 08:22 PM
but we have never seen Belkar actually use rage. Sure his normal fighting mode may look and behave like the class ability... But I can't wait to see flying midgets of doom...

Of course he would need razor armor for that but anyways..

Belkar + Rage = Kobold head made into a kitty litter tray

Gray Mage
2011-05-24, 08:23 PM
I think ghosts can still smell, so do they actually breathe?

No, they don't. Not sure where this came from, though, it seems really random.

MoonCat
2011-05-24, 08:24 PM
We have already seen Belkar cry. Twice

I said for real for a reason.

Giant, if you do this the WILL be a mob of Playgrounders at your door with pitchforks. And no quoting What Measure is a Non-Cute?, either, this would be just as bad with a toad.

sims796
2011-05-24, 08:33 PM
Oh my, this is the first time I actually went "NOOOOO!!!" to a strip (in my head, of course), and I was actually half-expecting Mr. Scruffy to die soon. But I still hope he doesn't. :smallfrown:

And could my baseless speculation that Yukyuk abuses animals have been partially right?! :smalleek:

Cute. Lord knows you can't have any opposing opinions around here. Still, I'll take that one, since Giant neglected the suprise ironic twist this time around.

Now the sooner this action wraps up, the better.

Shoelessgdowar
2011-05-24, 08:33 PM
Wait..

The death of mr scruffy will be because belkar can't cast spells.... (low wisdom)
Thus Belkar will raise his wisdom (he has been saving those points for later)

BOOM wise and pacifist belkar is born :D

Ok so no I don't want that (or do i dun dun duun), but this may be the first kobold that actually deserves the death he is about to be given... (Oracle doesn't count ... He didn't stay dead :p)

Well, Yikyik did sort of have it coming with the whole abusing the Attack of Opportunity rule everytime Belkar would move away from him, so he was shown why you don't turn every chance to attack a possible threat into a threatening action (Sometimes it is better to let the foe ignorantly leave without a fight and therefore never let it know you're a potential threat to it)... and Yokyok earned his by being dumb enough to want revenge for his jerk father and for working with the Linear Guild instead of pressing for a lawful duel to the death in a neutral zone where it was just him vs Belkar (He was dishonorable in his attack and therefore died a dishonorable death for it, just like his father before him). I'd think Yukyuk has just earned his death all the more then the others (And just like the other 3, his death could be avoided by just being honest and honorable instead of deceitful and dishonorable)

Shatteredtower
2011-05-24, 08:37 PM
"I hadn't meant to shoot the cat."

Wait. Wrong book. Worth the wait, though.

sims796
2011-05-24, 08:38 PM
if I was there I'd pay a wizard to research a D&D version of the sphere of infinite agony (mentioned in an episode of angel) specifically for yukyuk!

I like cats.

a lot.

Cats are frickin' awesome.

Gift Jeraff
2011-05-24, 08:42 PM
Still, I'll take that one, since Giant neglected the suprise ironic twist this time around..
I was actually poking fun at the guy that said conclusion jumping was a pet peeve and seemed to want people to stop saying it was Qarr. (IIRC)

But I seem to recall you jokingly saying you hate me for no good reason in an older thread, so let's just call it even. :smallsmile:

Ninja Dragon
2011-05-24, 08:42 PM
Some kobold is not long for this world.

stimepy
2011-05-24, 08:49 PM
Scruffy, NOOOOO!!!!! I'm not a huge cat person but I feel Belkar had one last murderous rampage before he dies.... It involves a Mr Scraggy and one very dumb Kobold. After that:

A theatrical death of our beloved Belkar.

What? It could happen!

I just don't want everyone jumping to conclusions. :smallwink:
Never happens here :smallbiggrin:

sims796
2011-05-24, 08:49 PM
I was actually poking fun at the guy that said conclusion jumping was a pet peeve and seemed to want people to stop saying it was Qarr. (IIRC)

But I seem to recall you jokingly saying you hate me for no good reason in an older thread, so let's just call it even. :smallsmile:

I know, I just figured that someone was bound to post something like this sooner or later.

And FYI, you have Thog as an avitar. Any posts of hatred against you are invalid.

No,w Gray Mage on the other hand...

Gray Mage
2011-05-24, 08:59 PM
I know, I just figured that someone was bound to post something like this sooner or later.

And FYI, you have Thog as an avitar. Any posts of hatred against you are invalid.

No,w Gray Mage on the other hand...

Well, considering that you've yet to make a post of hatred against me (as far as I remember at least), I guess I'm safe too? :smallwink:

otakuryoga
2011-05-24, 09:01 PM
so Familicide killed what? 1/4 of the black dragons or was it 1/3?

childs play to the 100% of kobolds that will die if mr scruffy is killed by this guy

Tvtyrant
2011-05-24, 09:02 PM
This is a catastrophe! Now all the Kobolds will die :smalleek:

fruityjanitor
2011-05-24, 09:02 PM

I'm calling it too. Belkar gives his life to save the one thing he cares about besides himself: his kitty.

thunderclan
2011-05-24, 09:07 PM
That Kobold is dead, hopefully in the most painful way Belkar can possibly come up with...

Eldritch Knight
2011-05-24, 09:10 PM
You want to tick off any protaganists? Shoot something that is pure and innocent, (while it may be a stretch of the concept to apply it to a cat, you understand what I mean.) That is not going to go over well with Belkar.

Taria
2011-05-24, 09:12 PM
MR SCRUFFY!!! :eek:

Oakianus
2011-05-24, 09:12 PM
Personally, I'm hoping that Mr. Scruffy dies, Belkar avenges him, and then there's a long-running gag in the background where Belkar's on a quest to get him resurrected a la Roy, except no one cares nearly as much.

Kareasint
2011-05-24, 09:15 PM
thay can

unless Mr.Scruffy is na outsider

Since the kitty has no levels that we know of, it will take minus two to its CON score.

Yukyuk is going to make a lovely Litterbox for the kitty.

MoonCat
2011-05-24, 09:16 PM
Personally, I'm hoping that Mr. Scruffy dies, Belkar avenges him, and then there's a long-running gag in the background where Belkar's on a quest to get him resurrected a la Roy, except no one cares nearly as much.

Except that that is not even remotely funny. It's rather sick in fact.

fizzybobnewt
2011-05-24, 09:19 PM
"You shot my cat."
"Yeah, and that's not all I'm shooting today, meatbag-"
"You shot my cat!"
*Wok!*
"Great. You have temporarily inconvenienced me. I'm sure-"
"YOU!
SHOT!
MY!
CAT!"

Boogastreehouse
2011-05-24, 09:19 PM

I see what you did there...

One Skunk Todd
2011-05-24, 09:26 PM
Well, if Mr. Scruffy does dies perhaps he'll at least be reunited with Lord Shojo.

Vent Reynolt
2011-05-24, 09:26 PM
I have a feeling that Yukyuk is going to meet an even more brutal fate than any of his predecessors.

Also, does anyone else feel that Zz'dtri might be the most competent member of the Linear Guild? After all, Zz'dtri has managed to take down one member of the Order and keep two of them busy while Yukyuk is busy chasing a random cat. It kinda makes me wonder why Zz'dtri did not cast Overland Flight on Yukyuk or Sir Scraggly, considering that Zz'dtri mentioned not being alone in the battle.

Zordrath
2011-05-24, 09:27 PM
So this kobold is Belkar's counterpart on a whole new level... cat person vs dog person :smallamused:

I sure hopes he gets killed in the most gruesome fashion, but that's almost a given when looking at his ancestors' history... :smalltongue:

Also, does anyone else feel that Zz'dtri might be the most competent member of the Linear Guild? After all, Zz'dtri has managed to take down one member of the Order and keep two of them busy while Yukyuk is busy chasing a random cat. It kinda makes me wonder why Zz'dtri did not cast Overland Flight on Yukyuk or Sir Scraggly, considering that Zz'dtri mentioned not being alone in the battle.
Zz'dtri has always been scarily competent, especially for a LG member. Remember the Order didn't really "defeat" him last time either, they got others to detain him. Though one wonders how the lawyers managed that...

Thrudh
2011-05-24, 09:30 PM

*raises hand*

No, I never thought "Giant will never hurt the cat"... I never thought about the cat at all! It never even crossed my mind that the cat COULD be hurt...

NOOOOO!!! Mr. Scruffy!!!!!

MoonCat
2011-05-24, 09:30 PM
Zz'dtri has always been scarily competent, especially for a LG member. Remember the Order didn't really "defeat" him last time either, they got others to detain him. Though one wonders how the lawyers managed that...

In the same way that the narrator from the first book could escape the door monster.

Warren Dew
2011-05-24, 09:32 PM
I'm calling it now - Mr Scruffy survives, but Belkar dies.
We can only hope.

While Mr. Scruffy is possibly the character I'd least like to see die, it would be worth even that to be rid of Belkar. Belkar hasn't been funny since the hallucination sequence.

A thought: does picking on animals count as an opposite trait? Y'know, since Belkar prefers murdering bipedal, sentient beings.
I think it's opposite in the sense that while both he and Belkar have the wrong attitude for rangers, his is wrong in a completely different way.

I kind of like Yukyuk. He reminds me of the old, fun Belkar.

Anyway, my narrative instincts tell me that Scruffy is a red herring, but Belkar's line is hinting that the Linear Guild will make a serious impact this time around (intentionally, since last time they made a big impact accidentally by keeping the OOTS in Azure City long enough).

The important part of Belkar's statement is the word "six". The six members of the party to whom the Linear Guild is not a threat do not include Mr. Scruffy.

Xyk
2011-05-24, 09:33 PM
OH SWEET PELOR NO! NOT THE CAT!

Vent Reynolt
2011-05-24, 09:33 PM

A wizard did it. A spooooky wizard, who lives by the coast.

KoboldRevenge
2011-05-24, 09:40 PM
You fool Belkar. Your suppoused to be genre savvy!
You know saying something like that is a death sentance for somebody!

And on another note geez that cat's got some hit points! Either that or the ranger's crossbow sucks.

Hrairoo
2011-05-24, 09:53 PM

Well there was a time when Belkar would overlook an explosive rune prank due to an intense hatred of a certain horse (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0221.html).

Puppeteer
2011-05-24, 09:56 PM
I think they will both die, and remain with Shojo in the same plane, refusing to be resurrected.

MoonCat
2011-05-24, 09:58 PM
I think they will both die, and remain with Shojo in the same plane, refusing to be resurrected.

Shojo was CN at worst, I seriously doubt Belkar will be on his plane.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-24, 10:05 PM
Shojo was CN at worst, I seriously doubt Belkar will be on his plane.

I think Chaotic Good is the most likely, based on Belkar's own comments. Which means you are correct, in case this seemed like I was disagreeing with you,

sims796
2011-05-24, 10:08 PM
See, this is why I always have my wizard carry Lower Resistance on whatever game I'm playing.

Joe22c
2011-05-24, 10:16 PM
Go team evil!

Raistlin82
2011-05-24, 10:18 PM
Mr Scruffy!

Ok, Belkar... rip that kobold's freakin' head off and turn it into a manpurse or something.

MoonCat
2011-05-24, 10:18 PM
I think Chaotic Good is the most likely, based on Belkar's own comments. Which means you are correct, in case this seemed like I was disagreeing with you,

Yeah, but you know, you always need to leave a little budge room for the people who will always argue an alignment. The extra rooms helps to to distract from the point. But yeah, I agree with you.

Mr. Snuggles
2011-05-24, 10:19 PM
Vaarsuvius is telepathic! "Quickened Hold Person" is a pure ellipse with no voice sticking out of it. In the context of the strip, this is used by psionicists (see On the Origin of PCs, the recruiting montage). When did he develop mental powers? I'm surprised nobody has commented on this shocking development in the story.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-24, 10:20 PM
Yeah, but you know, you always need to leave a little budge room for the people who will always argue an alignment. The extra rooms helps to to distract from the point. But yeah, I agree with you.

Because obviously his attempts to save the world indicates that he is CE :P The truth will be revealed! :smallcool:

MoonCat
2011-05-24, 10:21 PM
Vaarsuvius is telepathic! "Quickened Hold Person" is a pure ellipse with no voice sticking out of it. In the context of the strip, this is used by psionicists (see On the Origin of PCs, the recruiting montage). When did he develop mental powers? I'm surprised nobody has commented on this shocking development in the story.

Linkless speech bubbles are getting more common, there's also one here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0787.html). I think it's just an art thing.

Because obviously his attempts to save the world indicates that he is CE :P The truth will be revealed! :smallcool:

:smallsmile:

Felixaar
2011-05-24, 10:21 PM
Wow. I'm suprised Mr. Scruffy even survived a shot from what I assume is a fairly high-level ranger. But yeah, there will be creative use of craniums in the near future.

Gift Jeraff
2011-05-24, 10:22 PM
I'm surprised nobody has commented on this shocking development in the story.They did. Telepathically.

MoonCat
2011-05-24, 10:24 PM
I'll be surprised if the cranium wont be too damaged to be used as anything but a colander after Belkar's through with him, running gags be damned!

ScottishDragon
2011-05-24, 10:24 PM
:smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfurious:
The Kobold must die!!

DaggerPen
2011-05-24, 10:29 PM
... :smalleek:.

I'm seconding the suggestion from a few pages back involving a nice new, fur-lined Kobold leather cat bed...

Don't die, Mr. Scruffy! Don't die!

Nimrod's Son
2011-05-24, 10:35 PM
Linkless speech bubbles are getting more common, there's also one here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0787.html). I think it's just an art thing.
An art mistake thing, yeah. They'll be corrected in the book as long as they're noticed.

Blaznak
2011-05-24, 10:41 PM
I'm just guessing shooting Belkar's cat will be a bad career choice.

Valley
2011-05-24, 10:42 PM
And on another note geez that cat's got some hit points! Either that or the ranger's crossbow sucks.

Wait, how many HPs would a cat have? Or an outsider?

MoonCat
2011-05-24, 10:42 PM
An art mistake thing, yeah. They'll be corrected in the book as long as they're noticed.

I thought it might be to save room, or something. Oh well.

AlhazTheRed
2011-05-24, 10:43 PM
Spell Resistance, one of the DM's myriad middle fingers.

Looking forward to Belkar finding out and going sexyshoelessgodofwar on the linear guilds asses.

Morgan Wick
2011-05-24, 10:46 PM
Giant, Blackwing's speech bubble in the second panel misspells "Vaarsuvius" [it omits the 's'].

I'm shocked it took until the second page for someone to mention this.

ORione
2011-05-24, 10:47 PM
Bsides Mr. Scruffy and all of that, I thought it was funny that Qarr was saying Blackwing wouldn't be able to work out his agenda... and then Blackwing does.

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-24, 10:49 PM
That catterwahl when My Scruffy gets shot. Every cat owner knows the sound.

MoonCat
2011-05-24, 10:50 PM
I'm shocked it took until the second page for someone to mention this.

But there is an 's' there...

Jasdoif
2011-05-24, 11:01 PM
Wait, how many HPs would a cat have?An ordinary, average housecat has 2 HP. As a ranger's animal companion though, Mr. Scruffy would have bonus hit dice (and the hit points that entails). Mr. Scruffy could have around 11 or 20 HP, since best estimates of Belkar's ranger levels puts him right around the cutoff between an extra two bonus hit dice.

Jay R
2011-05-24, 11:08 PM
I predict YukYuk will live.

...In neverending agony, extended by every means available to Belkar.

Cute idea, but unlike anything Belkar has ever done before. Belkar tends to be ruthlessly efficient, even to those who threaten Mr. Scruffy, and shows his extreme displeasure after the kill (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0685.html).

MoonCat
2011-05-24, 11:10 PM
Cute idea, but unlike anything Belkar has ever done before. Belkar tends to be ruthlessly efficient, even to those who threaten Mr. Scruffy, and shows his extreme displeasure after the kill (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0685.html).

The strip you linked to had him (the threatener) still alive while Belkar peed on him.

Rasputin
2011-05-24, 11:12 PM
My daughter is 'gravely concerned!' about Mr. Scruffy... Its cute, but I'm not looking forward to the reaction if he dies (note: I don't think he will).

Reading this thread I'm a bit surprised by the Belkar hate though. Really? Some of you are convinced that OOTs would be as good (or better?) without Deaths Lil'Helper in it?

The Giant has put together a rock solid ensemble cast. I personally Loathe Elan, but I would never want to see him out of the strip...

unknownmercury
2011-05-24, 11:14 PM
The strip you linked to had him (the threatener) still alive while Belkar peed on him.

No, in the strip, Belkar had ripped Buggy Lou's head off before peeing in his neck hole.

Humanist Geek
2011-05-24, 11:15 PM
In strip 567 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0567.html), where the oracle explains how his first prophesy for Belkar was fulfilled ("Will I cause the death of Roy, Miko, Miko's horse, Vaarsuvius, or you?" "Yes."), the oracle describes how, in his interpretation, Belkar caused the deaths of Roy, Miko, and Miko's horse. He then says, "As for the elf—" but gets interrupted and killed by Belkar.

In strip 572 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0572.html), the Oracle reminds Roy that in an earlier strip he prophesied, "Belkar will draw his last breath — ever — before the end of the year."

In strip 666 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0666.html), after Roy is resurrected, Haley tells him about Belkar's change in behavior and that she thinks it's a ploy. Roy responds, "Well, if it's a ploy that takes... let's see... more than seven weeks for him to pull off, we don't have a problem." The way I see it, this hints that the end of the year (and Belkar's death) will occur at most seven weeks after Roy was resurrected. This was 126 strips ago, before the Order began their trip in the desert.

In strip 667 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0632.html), the Inter-Fiend Cooperation Commission (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0632.html) counts the amount of time that Vaarsuvius owes them — apparently, a collective 44 minutes and 16 seconds is "more than sufficient for [their] purposes" — and in strip 668 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0668.html) the members of the Inter-Fiend Cooperation Commission talk about moving their pawns — the Linear Guild — into position.

And, as Vaarsuvius' familiar deduced in this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0792.html), the imp is "working for those archfiends now," and "this whole thing with Zz'dtri is just a cover story."

I think Belkar might die before the Order of the Stick goes to Girard's gate, and I think that V's payment for the soul splices might be collected soon.

Wow, this strip has a pretty heavy plot.

Oh, and Belkar will definitely make that kobold pay for hurting Mr. Scruffy.

Edit: Does the incident with Mr. Scruffy remind anyone of Hedwig's death in Harry Potter? That was one death that caught me completely by surprise.

MoonCat
2011-05-24, 11:20 PM
No, in the strip, Belkar had ripped Buggy Lou's head off before peeing in his neck hole.

But there aren't any X's, you see?

My daughter is 'gravely concerned!' about Mr. Scruffy... Its cute, but I'm not looking forward to the reaction if he dies (note: I don't think he will).

Reading this thread I'm a bit surprised by the Belkar hate though. Really? Some of you are convinced that OOTs would be as good (or better?) without Deaths Lil'Helper in it?

The Giant has put together a rock solid ensemble cast. I personally Loathe Elan, but I would never want to see him out of the strip...

Elan can have his good points. But some people just feel tired with a character that was pretty much just comic relief until quite recently. I agree with you though, Belkar is amazing.

In strip 567 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0567.html), where the oracle explains how his first prophesy for Belkar was fulfilled ("Will I cause the death of Roy, Miko, Miko's horse, Vaarsuvius, or you?" "Yes."), the oracle describes how, in his interpretation, Belkar caused the deaths of Roy, Miko, and Miko's horse. He then says, "As for the elf—" but gets interrupted and killed by Belkar.

In strip 572 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0572.html), the Oracle reminds Roy that in an earlier strip he prophesied, "Belkar will draw his last breath — ever — before the end of the year."

In strip 666 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0666.html), after Roy is resurrected, Haley tells him about Belkar's change in behavior and that she thinks it's a ploy. Roy responds, "Well, if it's a ploy that takes... let's see... more than seven weeks for him to pull off, we don't have a problem." The way I see it, this hints that the end of the year (and Belkar's death) will occur at most seven weeks after Roy was resurrected. This was 126 strips ago, before the Order began their trip in the desert.

In strip 667 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0632.html), the Inter-Fiend Cooperation Commission (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0632.html) counts the amount of time that Vaarsuvius owes them — apparently, a collective 44 minutes and 16 seconds is "more than sufficient for [their] purposes" — and in strip 668 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0668.html) the members of the Inter-Fiend Cooperation Commission talk about moving their pawns — the Linear Guild — into position.

And, as Vaarsuvius' familiar deduced in this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0792.html), the imp is "working for those archfiends now," and "this whole thing with Zz'dtri is just a cover story."

I think Belkar might die before the Order of the Stick goes to Girard's gate, and I think that V's payment for the soul splices might be collected soon.

Wow, this strip has a pretty heavy plot.

Oh, and Belkar will definitely make that kobold pay for hurting Mr. Scruffy.

Indeed, this strip is brilliant and complicated. It is the consensus that V can start being controlled by the fiends at any time, so V could easily suddenly turn and kill Belkar against hir will. :smalleek:

Gift Jeraff
2011-05-24, 11:21 PM
I was just thinking, Blackwing should be able to deduce that the "friend of a friend" is Sabine. V and Blackwing are probably smart enough to realize the implications of that, which I think means V will soon be forced to tell someone else at least about the fact that s/he made a deal with fiends.

Prestige Class
2011-05-24, 11:25 PM
I wonder what Belkar's going to use this kobold's head for...

JonestheSpy
2011-05-24, 11:25 PM
So this kobold is Belkar's counterpart on a whole new level... cat person vs dog person :smallamused:

Not just any dog person, but a dog person who has exactly the sort of dog Belkar once wanted (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0140.html).

Oh, the irony.

The Pilgrim
2011-05-24, 11:32 PM
So, Belkar has got an EVIL Linear Guild counterpart this time!!!

brionl
2011-05-24, 11:35 PM
Wait, how many HPs would a cat have? Or an outsider?

If Mr. Scruffy is Belkar's Animal Companion, he would get bonus HD(d8). Probably +4, unless Belkar is lvl 17 or higher. And +4 to AC, and +2 dex bonus.

If he wasn't Belkar's Animal Companion, he'd probably be already dead.

Stumblebee
2011-05-25, 12:04 AM
I'm anxious to see who the sixth member is. I'm banking on Hilgya; it'd be appropriate, since Zz'dtri has also reappeared. Plus, seeing her back in the story will feed my pet theory: if Durkon dies, she'll reform and take over the Order's Clerical duties. Not in the next couple of strips or anything, but at some point in the future. Sow the seeds of plot twists, Giant! Sow like the wind!

And now, the obligatory oh-no-not-the-cat:

OH NO, NOT THE CAT!

Debatra
2011-05-25, 12:11 AM

That was for threatening Mr. Scruffy. I'd imagine the price for actually harming him is far worse.

But there aren't any X's, you see?

He's quite clearly holding the head away from the body.

Tanngrisnir
2011-05-25, 12:13 AM
I'd be keen for Mr. Scruffy to die here. I think it would be really interesting to see Belkar deal with something like that, see some sadness from him along side his standard anger.

Kaytara
2011-05-25, 12:17 AM
One little arrow and It's Personal now. For all of us. Well played, Rich. O_O

MoonCat
2011-05-25, 12:18 AM
That was for threatening Mr. Scruffy. I'd imagine the price for actually harming him is far worse.

I was about to say the same thing.

And that's so it can see it being desecrated, implying it's still alive. That and the no X's kind of make my point.

Debatra
2011-05-25, 12:25 AM
I was making the point that the head is clearly seperated from the body.

I'm not a medical expert, but I don't think you can live very long after being decapitated.

MoonCat
2011-05-25, 12:29 AM

I was making the point that the head is clearly seperated from the body.

I'm not a medical expert, but I don't think you can live very long after being decapitated.

Yes, it is definitely separate. And human heads can survive for a little longer in the real world, certain types of bugs can have their body live for days after losing their head because of extra brains in their legs, and this is a fantasy world where everything is even slightly more farfetched. Imagine!

Ghill
2011-05-25, 12:33 AM
Calling it now.

Scruffy dies. It is a next logical step in Belkar's character advancement. He actually has to deal with loss. The Belkster still has some time left, I am pretty sure that Roy would have mentioned if it was hitting the last week for Belkar.

This post will remain unedited.

MoonCat
2011-05-25, 12:36 AM
Calling it now.

Scruffy dies. It is a next logical step in Belkar's character advancement. He actually has to deal with loss. The Belkster still has some time left, I am pretty sure that Roy would have mentioned if it was hitting the last week for Belkar.

This post will remain unedited.

But I don't want him to die!

Nimrod's Son
2011-05-25, 12:36 AM
Yes, it's pretty clear from the fact that there are no Xs in his eyes and also from the fact that he's still "speaking" that Buggy Lou's supposed to still be alive in that panel. Doubtless he was dead very shortly after, but that's not the point.

LuPuWei
2011-05-25, 12:41 AM
Yukyuk, a line has been crossed. Your fate is sealed, your path will end, and you have brought upon yourself certain Doom.

And also the wrath of a thousand OotS fans.

Swordpriest
2011-05-25, 12:44 AM
Predicting the imminent death of Belkar. :smallcool:

Shoelessgdowar
2011-05-25, 12:49 AM
"You shot my cat."
"Yeah, and that's not all I'm shooting today, meatbag-"
"You shot my cat!"
*Wok!*
"Great. You have temporarily inconvenienced me. I'm sure-"
"YOU!
SHOT!
MY!
CAT! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0114.html)"

This is :belkar: we're talking about, not :roy: but I can see that as a viable possibility.

I'm actually looking forward to one of two possibilities... it either ending up that Belkar doesn't do anything to Yukyuk, instead Ian will kill Sir Scraggly and then Mr. Scruffy will slaughter Yukyuk and Belkar will just use his Craft: Random-Items-made-from-Kobold-Heads skill to make it into something.
or
Belkar will throw the Halfling Courage Rock which (Unlike Yukyuk's crossbow bolt) will kill Sir Scraggly with a single throw, causing the corpse to collapse while running with Yukyuk, throwing Yukyuk into the air and causing him to crash at lethal speed into a wall, killing him, once more allowing Belkar to use his Craft: Random-Items-made-from-Kobold-Heads skill to make it into something.

Either way, Yukyuk will not actually be killed by Belkar's direct actions, but circumstance and then Belkar will put Yukyuk's corpse to good use... maybe make a disguise for Ian to escape, forcing Geoff to reveal himself and then Geoff gets Splorked!!!

Note: I retroactively added the link that was being referred to in the quoted comment... for those who missed the joke :biggrin:

Holy_Knight
2011-05-25, 12:51 AM
*smack* :smalltongue:

Wow. I'm suprised Mr. Scruffy even survived a shot from what I assume is a fairly high-level ranger. But yeah, there will be creative use of craniums in the near future.
If YukYuk enjoys causing pain to animals, it's possible he intentionally shot to hurt rather than to kill. :smallfurious:

In other news, Blackwing was great here--for some reason seeing him dodge around was especially fun. :smallsmile:

Crod
2011-05-25, 12:54 AM
Mr. Scruffy.. Noooooooo!

And do I smell an...

.. upcoming takeover of V by an Archfiend just when he's laying the smack-down on Z.

Mr. Snuggles
2011-05-25, 12:57 AM
I'm anxious to see who the sixth member is. I'm banking on Hilgya; it'd be appropriate, since Zz'dtri has also reappeared. Plus, seeing her back in the story will feed my pet theory: if Durkon dies, she'll reform and take over the Order's Clerical duties.
I disagree...Hilgaya stated that she was only in the Linear Guild because Loki had commanded her to steal the Talisman of Dorukan from Nale.

Of course, everyone said the ambassador elf was Z'zdtri, I said no way, and look how that turned out.

Calenestel
2011-05-25, 01:03 AM

You know... when I first saw the new comic I thought: "Great, here we go. We'd better get it all other with." (Well, that and "And all that for what started out as such a simple, innocent (more or less) comment.")

Then I went to the new thread and yeah, six pages. "Good GOD, there will be a lot of "I told you so"s here. Ouchtime."

But... as "I Told You So"s this isn't that bad. A bit harsh, but funny enough to make me laugh and take the sting away. A bit. :smallbiggrin:

And as I said: Not surprised. :smalltongue:

Also I'd like to join the chorus of: NOOOO!!
I look forward to the latest Y*kyk*s death. :smallfurious:

harmsc12
2011-05-25, 01:06 AM
That kobold is so effing dead.

Absol197
2011-05-25, 01:17 AM
NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

MR. SCRUFFY!!!

VoiceOfUnreason
2011-05-25, 01:23 AM
Let's see...

Point #1: Belkar is going to be pissed, and looking to turn everyone he can reach into hats.

Point #2: This strip has no 4th wall.

Conclusion: time to call my estate lawyer, and get my affairs in order.

Last orders, please!

Niknokitueu
2011-05-25, 01:27 AM
Loved the comic, Rich. Plot developing as hoped. It's going to take a miracle to get them out of this one.

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu
ps. Like how your 'kick the dog (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KickTheDog)' moment became 'shoot the cat'. Lols. Heh. LolCat. Heh heh.

Prestige Class
2011-05-25, 01:38 AM
Things are about to get stabby. VERY stabby.

Killer Angel
2011-05-25, 01:55 AM
Scruffy! :smalleek:
Run! RUN!
Someone will pay for this. :smallmad:

Kato
2011-05-25, 01:59 AM
Thanks for the comic, Mr Giant.

So... Blackwing is pretty genre savy there. If you even need to be that. (Well, I'll admit, I only figured it out shortly before BW because the German translation is at that point at the time)

So... hm... Scruffy will be fine, right? It's not like he'll die and Belkar will go bat**** insane and tear down the arena, the kingdom and the whole of reality afterwards, right? RIGHT?
But what am I talking about. Of course Scruffy will be fine. He will. Wont he? (Please)

(Why is a good ranger attacking a harmless cat anyway?)

Nighthawk4
2011-05-25, 02:00 AM
NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

MR. SCRUFFY!!!

I think this sums up my feelings nicely.

Nobody messes with the cat :belkar:

Nohar
2011-05-25, 02:02 AM
Ok. This kobold is dead. Nobody - NOBODY - shoots an innocent animal like a cat ! That's just so cruel...
I'm going to remove that kobold's spine with my bare hands ! :smallfurious:

talkamancer
2011-05-25, 02:02 AM
:smallfrown: I love that little guy.

kierthos
2011-05-25, 02:03 AM
THE. KOBOLD. DIES.

No, seriously.

Belkar will rip his way out of the cells with his bare hands once he realizes his cat has been hurt.

AND THE KOBOLD WILL DIE.

Phishfood
2011-05-25, 02:16 AM
Oh, he is so dead. Him and his riding dog, he just doesn't know it yet.

Themrys
2011-05-25, 02:22 AM
That was a very stupid action of the kobold.
Belkar would maybe not come to the rescue of the OotS if an uninjured Mr. Scruffy tried to fetch him...but with that arrow...yup, the kobold is dead.

Souhiro
2011-05-25, 02:37 AM
Noooooo!

Please, kill redcloak, not Mr Scruffy!

Orzel
2011-05-25, 02:39 AM

Cut His Heart Out And Feed It To Wereweasels!

Turn His Skull To Clogs And Dance On His spine!

faustin
2011-05-25, 02:39 AM
:belkar: KOBOLYCIDE! :smallfurious::smallfurious:

danielmayer
2011-05-25, 02:41 AM
hell, what a strip. finest action since... years? (real years, not OOTS-years - winkwink).
I feel like Oracle at the moment:
- Scruffy will die with the second shot
- Belkar will spontaneously take "epic rage" - despite the level he really is
- Belkar kills - of course - the damned kobold
- Belkar organizes a fist-sized diamond, ... somehow...
- We see the first animal ressurection by our cleric, assissted by some background comment "I don't know if the rules allow this...?"

:smallbiggrin:

Oh. Forgot: Nice ballad for the heroic deeds of the cat before and after ressurection :)

blazingshadow
2011-05-25, 02:50 AM
i hate cats (neighbor has like 20 and they all crap in my lawn) but i still think it was wrong to shoot the cat. giving it to your dog as a snack might be more efficient (and still wrong but more ranger-like if he knew it was an enemy) but torturing the disemboweling cat is a big no no

that said i wonder if v has thought of a plan to defeat z? he seems to be at a disadvantage if all he has prepared today are spells that allow spell resistance

grimbold
2011-05-25, 02:51 AM
i am suddenly very concerned :smalleek:

faustin
2011-05-25, 03:33 AM
Blackwing: Why are you attacking me?
Qarr: I am an ancient being of pure malevolence... you cannot expect to grasp the extend of my min....
Blackwing: I get it. You are working for the IFCC
Qarr: Do-Oh (facepalm)

Neopolis
2011-05-25, 03:42 AM
I just imagined Qarr saying "Oh great. Even stupid bird is here". Maybe it's just me.

One cookie to whoever gets the reference.

Jubal_Barca
2011-05-25, 03:47 AM
:eek::eek::eek:NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not Mr. Scruffy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Q to the F to the T, my friend.

Zerg Cookie
2011-05-25, 04:08 AM
Read it with a friend. After we finished reading it we just looked at each other with a look that says "When Belkar is going to hear about that... Gold"

off-topic: Happy towel day!

Zombimode
2011-05-25, 04:22 AM
Ooookay, I really hope a lot of people here are joking.

If not, please check your double standarts.

Calenestel
2011-05-25, 04:27 AM

They're fine, thank you. I watered them just yesterday and they get lots of sun. How are yours? :smalltongue:

BlackZaitan
2011-05-25, 04:28 AM
Damn I told you so :( But he most not die!

Burner28
2011-05-25, 04:48 AM
So, Belkar has got an EVIL Linear Guild counterpart this time!!!

Lawful Evil too perhaps? Nah, I don't really know.

Morph Bark
2011-05-25, 05:18 AM
Considering the average hp of a cat, I'm surprised the kobold didn't realize he was dealing with a special cat as soon as he saw it surviving a crossbow bolt.

Tundar
2011-05-25, 05:23 AM
Dear me. Someone just signed their own death sentence.

Don't.
Mess.
With.
Mr Scruffy.

Kareasint
2011-05-25, 05:30 AM
hell, what a strip. finest action since... years? (real years, not OOTS-years - winkwink).
I feel like Oracle at the moment:
- Scruffy will die with the second shot
- Belkar will spontaneously take "epic rage" - despite the level he really is
- Belkar kills - of course - the damned kobold
- Belkar organizes a fist-sized diamond, ... somehow...
- We see the first animal ressurection by our cleric, assissted by some background comment "I don't know if the rules allow this...?"

:smallbiggrin:

Oh. Forgot: Nice ballad for the heroic deeds of the cat before and after ressurection :)

According to the spell description, Resurrection can be used on any dead creature. It loses one level or two constitution points if it does not have levels. I am not sure how this will affect what would be an Animal Companion of a Ranger.

Elan would want to sing but Belkar will probably already have the cat raised by that point.

Burner28
2011-05-25, 05:38 AM
Two Appearances and he already gets widely hated. Not surprising of course.

Zubzub
2011-05-25, 05:44 AM
I imagine Mr. Scruffy will die, Belkar will blame Vaarsuvius for not taking care of his cat properly and go all-out on him, and IFFC will have to possess V to prevent him from dying and kill Belkar.

Lord Loss
2011-05-25, 06:14 AM
How many piecies do you think Belkar will leave the kobold in? :smallamused:

Nimrod's Son
2011-05-25, 06:32 AM
If everyone screaming "Nooo!" in huge letters could keep it inside spoiler tags so the rest of us can actually read the page without having to scroll sideways at the end of every line, that'd be just awesome. :smallannoyed:

Garwain
2011-05-25, 06:50 AM
I imagine Mr. Scruffy will die, Belkar will blame Vaarsuvius for not taking care of his cat properly and go all-out on him, and IFFC will have to possess V to prevent him from dying and kill Belkar.
I second this option.

I just don't get why in the heat of the battle Yukyuk goes after a random cat. IF he knew the cat was a valid OotS target, he'd order his dog to go after the cat, not the bard.
This part feels a bit thin stroytellingwise.

Prowl
2011-05-25, 07:10 AM
Mr. Scruffy is not allowed to die, just FYI

and for the indignity, the kobold and his dog shall meet a particularly gruesome fate

it's the rules!!!

Raistlin82
2011-05-25, 07:16 AM
And do I smell an...

.. upcoming takeover of V by an Archfiend just when he's laying the smack-down on Z.

I've been saying that from the moment V was left alone with Zz'dtri.
To be honest, there is no logical reasons to believe it will happen... but if you look at it from a DRAMATIC POTENTIAL point of view, Elan-style, you'll see that it's pretty much granted...

I just don't get why in the heat of the battle Yukyuk goes after a random cat. IF he knew the cat was a valid OotS target, he'd order his dog to go after the cat, not the bard.
This part feels a bit thin stroytellingwise.
It doesn't.
He explains why, out loud, while he's doing it.
He's a sadic and likes hurting animals. Also, the bard is gone by now and he's of no use against V.

As a side note, you don't know that he doesn't know who Mr Scruffy is. And actually, logic suggests that Nale informed him of this, when he selected him and "Mr Scraggly".

2xMachina
2011-05-25, 07:17 AM
/me believes

That Mr. Scruffy is not an ordinary cat. I don't think a normal cat can survive a sneak attack bolt. He'll probably kill YukYuk or something later, off screen.

DabblerWizard
2011-05-25, 07:33 AM
When the Giant panned over to Belkar after Mr. Scruffy got shot, I expected to see Belkar immediately aware that the cat had been injured. That would have shown just how deep their bond goes: telepathic connection.

Roderick_BR
2011-05-25, 07:44 AM
Considering the average hp of a cat, I'm surprised the kobold didn't realize he was dealing with a special cat as soon as he saw it surviving a crossbow bolt.
With a sneak attack, no less.

But yeah, extreme action. I want to see Belkar rage :smallamused:
Also, Blackwing just showed he's real smart (and have better memory than most of the group). :smallbiggrin:

willpell
2011-05-25, 08:02 AM
I love the imp's speech in Panel 2. The Littlest Evil Mastermind...very kewt.

And it's interesting to note that this time (the first time, given that Yokyok wasn't evil), Belkar has an "evil opposite" who isn't exactly the same as him save for species and weapon choice.

willpell
2011-05-25, 08:07 AM
PS, could someone do something about that giant NOOO and the page width?

PPS - Belkar is a barbarian, right? We haven't seen him use that level ONCE that I can think of (not that he does much with his ranger levels either - really, he ought to just convert to a homebrew class called Psychopath), but I for one like the idea of seeing what a "whirlwind of rage" looks like when he's 3 feet tall and wields two daggers. (At least one of which has weapon shrinkage lol.)

Mordaenor
2011-05-25, 08:13 AM
Oh My. When Belkar finds out about this, what he did to Yuyuk's predecesor's will seem merciful in comparison.

On a related note: Run, Mr. Scruffy, Run!

fibonacciseries
2011-05-25, 08:21 AM
:eek::eek::eek:NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not Mr. Scruffy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Edit: Sorry about how huge this was before.

:smallfurious: The kobold will die. Horribly. And his little dog too.:smalltongue: whether Belkar will as well remains to be seen

moonbiter
2011-05-25, 08:48 AM
Uh oh, they messed with the cat. As they say on teh Interwebz, sh*t just got real (http://tinyurl.com/3ss88lm).

/ tinyurl link, since the original link url gets **** censored

BluesEclipse
2011-05-25, 08:53 AM
Well, it's over now.

I don't see Belkar stopping at the Kobold this time... I honestly think he's going to carve a pathfive-lane blacktop highway with a two-lane service road through the entire Linear Guild for this.

Yuki Akuma
2011-05-25, 08:56 AM
Don't worry, guys. Mr. Scruffy is an animal companion. He has a bunch of HP. And a very high AC for a cat.

Toofey
2011-05-25, 09:04 AM
Now we get to see what class levels the cat has.

martianmister
2011-05-25, 09:09 AM
"I hadn't meant to shoot the cat."

Wait. Wrong book. Worth the wait, though.

Whick book? :smallconfused:

Ok. This kobold is dead. Nobody - NOBODY - shoots an innocent animal like a cat ! That's just so cruel...
I'm going to remove that kobold's spine with my bare hands ! :smallfurious:

That "innocent cat" just killed an innocent and clearly not evil man (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0780.html) in cold blood...

GO YUKYUK, GO! :furious:

Rastaban
2011-05-25, 09:09 AM

:belkar: KOBOLYCIDE! :smallfurious::smallfurious:

I have no problem with my double standards of wanting this to happen as response to shooting the cat. Kobolds must die. I think it is time to load up nwn and see if I can take out some revenge on Deekin!

Bruendor_Cavescout
2011-05-25, 09:41 AM
Prediction: Belkar does not stop at making a Yukyuk hat. He makes a whole set of luggage out of him.

SteveMB
2011-05-25, 09:49 AM
They shot the cat! :smalleek:

Yukyuk just became a future hat/chip salsa donator.

Nah; I expect Belkar will start racking his brain for something even more degrading than "chamber pot".

Badgercloak
2011-05-25, 09:54 AM
Mr. Scruffy :smalleek: NOOO!

Giant, great comic.

HalfTangible
2011-05-25, 09:54 AM
Nah; I expect Belkar will start racking his brain for something even more degrading than "chamber pot".

Belkar doesn't have much brain to rack :smalltongue:

And i suspect he'll be too angry to even try to think of something like that until after the kobold is dead.

oddtail
2011-05-25, 10:11 AM
Seriously?

Nothing that happened since I joined the forum ever, EVER got 10% of people as worked up as they are because Mr. Scruffy got hit by an arrow.

I know the cat is cute and all, but I don't care. Worse things have happened to likeable, innocent, nice characters. But apparently, it isn't RAEG-inducing if it doesn't happen to a cute creature that belongs in a captioned picture.

I'm not saying it's not wince-inducing to see a character be a jerk AND perforate a housecat with a crossbow... but people's empathy for comic characters seems to work in a very... strange way.

Wanda V'Orcus
2011-05-25, 10:28 AM

Oi! Leave Belkar's ***** alone!!! :smallwink:

Does anyone have a magic fang or greater magic fang spell to cast on Mr. Scruffy??

And do healing spells/potions work on animals in 3.5 D&D? I forget...

Cheers, JohnH / Wanda

R. Shackleford
2011-05-25, 10:31 AM
I'm wondering if this is where we're going to say goodbye to Belkar Bitterleaf?

I'm not so much worried about Mr. Scruffy the cat so much as I am Mr. Scruffy the morality pet. If you destroy the only sign of character development for a character that's fated to be killed off soon... then he's probably going to be killed off soon too.

Then again, I heard in 3.5, a house cat can give PCs a run for thier money, so, who knows?

One Skunk Todd
2011-05-25, 10:38 AM
Seriously?

Nothing that happened since I joined the forum ever, EVER got 10% of people as worked up as they are because Mr. Scruffy got hit by an arrow.

I know the cat is cute and all, but I don't care. Worse things have happened to likeable, innocent, nice characters. But apparently, it isn't RAEG-inducing if it doesn't happen to a cute creature that belongs in a captioned picture.

I'm not saying it's not wince-inducing to see a character be a jerk AND perforate a housecat with a crossbow... but people's empathy for comic characters seems to work in a very... strange way.

You must have joined after Miko fell and died.

Gnoman
2011-05-25, 10:49 AM
Then again, I heard in 3.5, a house cat can give PCs a run for thier money, so, who knows?
No, level 1 commoners. Commoner is an NPC class, and the weakest of those. Because cats get multiple attacks (of 1 damage) has very high ranks in Hide and Move silently, and a pretty high AC, they have a high chance of killing a commoner. No PC class that actually works is threatened by a standard cat.

danielmayer
2011-05-25, 11:17 AM
Don't worry, guys. Mr. Scruffy is an animal companion. He has a bunch of HP. And a very high AC for a cat.

"bunch"?
As far as I see, an animal companion of Belkar could at max have +4HD, +4 natural armor and +2STR/Dex.
A cat starts with 2hp, so at max Mr.S can have 34hp - Ranger levels only count 50% for Animal Companion, Belkar should have between 12 and 16 levels of Ranger.
As opposed to others I don't see any Sneak Attack here: Scruffy was looking at YakYak and all others had to shout out "Sneak Attack Bitch"" or similar like spellcasting.
The crossbow is likely to be enchanted, so one of the two next hits should finish Mr. S.

MoonCat
2011-05-25, 11:34 AM

What? What double standards? I'm very interested to hear what my double standards are.

Two Appearances and he already gets widely hated. Not surprising of course.

And one of those didn't even have anything to do with it!

When the Giant panned over to Belkar after Mr. Scruffy got shot, I expected to see Belkar immediately aware that the cat had been injured. That would have shown just how deep their bond goes: telepathic connection.

And then it would be ripped to shreds by us because the laws of DnD don't work that way. Interesting idea though.

Why all this negative reaction to the people who care about the cat?

Miaow
2011-05-25, 11:49 AM
Eeks! :smalleek: I hope Mr. Scruffy can find a way out of this predicament.

Lupusater
2011-05-25, 12:06 PM
Oh, the cat is dead. Who cares. And Belkar won't have his rampage of revenge, it would be too obvious. My guess is that this time, it will be his head used as an urinal.

Flawless
2011-05-25, 12:16 PM
That kobold ranger guy just got himself an extra large helping of bad karma. This is going to get ugly. Brutal revenge will be exacted :smallbiggrin:

Koshiro
2011-05-25, 01:15 PM

I used to wonder about that as well, but I think I have figured it out: It's about connection to reality.
Something that is more recognizeably close to our own lives will touch us more. For most of us, things like war, assassinations and blood feuds are very distant. But things like cruelty to animals or beating one's wife (which would IME get people angry in the same way) are unfortunately quite "real" in a more immediate sense.

Cirin
2011-05-25, 01:21 PM

Oi! Leave Belkar's ***** alone!!! :smallwink:

Does anyone have a magic fang or greater magic fang spell to cast on Mr. Scruffy??

And do healing spells/potions work on animals in 3.5 D&D? I forget...

Cheers, JohnH / Wanda

Yeah, why wouldn't they work?

Healing spells add HP to a creature, up to their maximum possible. Only exceptions I know of are they do damage to Undead, and have only half-effect with Warforged. Many Constructs are immune to them, but only because most Golems have blanket immunities to most spells not specifically named and nothing specifically about them being Constructs.

carabaldo
2011-05-25, 01:22 PM
it's peculiar how everyone reacted to a shot to a cat, compared to the reaction to the burning of alive slaves or else. :-|

changing topic... yukyuk speaks in a strange way. Is it a mockery of a known accent? I'm not a natural in english (as you can see, I think) so maybe I'm missing something obvious

martianmister
2011-05-25, 01:26 PM
changing topic... yukyuk speaks in a strange way. Is it a mockery of a known accent? I'm not a natural in english (as you can see, I think) so maybe I'm missing something obvious

Boondocks? :smallconfused:

Meta
2011-05-25, 01:28 PM
A good many people like Belkar.
Mr. Scruffy is his adorable, almost conscious (he's unaligned like 99%+ of animals I'm guessing.)
The combination still averages south of neutral, but it's development, and makes Belkar more relatable.

I'm not sure how one wouldn't see the difference between killing an animal that is virtually 0 threat and killing an opponent in a battle. It's pretty much the difference between warfare and genocide.

NerfTW
2011-05-25, 01:31 PM
I used to wonder about that as well, but I think I have figured it out: It's about connection to reality.
Something that is more recognizeably close to our own lives will touch us more. For most of us, things like war, assassinations and blood feuds are very distant. But things like cruelty to animals or beating one's wife (which would IME get people angry in the same way) are unfortunately quite "real" in a more immediate sense.

Indeed.

Cats are adorable because they resemble infants (large heads). We have a built in instinct to protect infants. This, combined with the fact that most domesticated pets need to be cared for almost as much as an infant (due to thousands of years of breeding making them totally dependent on humans) means we also have a social conditioning to view them the same way we view small children or infants.

We already learn to ignore other adults due to the impossible task of worrying about every living being on the planet at all times. But we never outgrow the instinct to protect the young. So seeing an animal injured causes us to react the same way. I can guarantee you that you'd be seeing the same reactions if Eric was hit by that evil adventuring party in Celestia. I remember the X-men event "Inferno" in the 80's started with two small children crying as a demonically possessed elevator ate them and blood came out of it. I have actually never been more disgusted with any comic I have ever read since. And that includes the ridiculous Maximum Carnage where nobody but Spider-man seems to bother with thousands of people being murdered in Times Square. It's an instinctive reaction to care more about an injured child than an injured adult.

Another note on social conditioning, I just recently read Preacher, and he brings up a good point about horses in the southwest. Even if animals aren't a required part of our existence today, our grandparents or great grandparents depended on dogs for protection and horses for travel and work. This takes a while to die out of a society. People still regard domesticated animals as a necessity, even if their work purpose has long been eliminated. We have thousands of years of history using cats to hunt vermin and dogs to watch our herds. That doesn't go away easily.

Bruendor_Cavescout
2011-05-25, 01:36 PM
You're probably right, Koshiro. It's the same sort of detachment from experience that occurs when someone gets graphically injured in film. When John McClane gets shot by a terrorist, most of us don't have the frame of reference to say "Oh, that reminds me of the time when I got shot!" When John McClane walks barefoot across a floor littered with broken glass, however, and later must pull out the jagged shards from his feet, we all do a bit of a cringe. We've all cut ourselves, and instictively know the pain he's experiencing, at least to some degree.

I dare venture that none of us have had our loved ones turned to stone in front of us, but most of us have had pets at some point in our lives, and would go out of our way to punish someone that hurt our dog, cat or what-have-you.

Now Belkar is in that situation. Mr. Scruffy is, as far as I can tell, the only other creature in the world that Belkar cares about beyond himself. Someone is trying to kill that creature - and will probably succeed by the time he gets involved. I think we're going to see Belkar use the rage he got from splashing into barbarian, and promptly keel over dead after his rage wears off.

In between those moments, however, all Hell will be breaking loose. Woe be unto Yukyuk.

resound
2011-05-25, 01:38 PM
I predict Mr. Scruffy dies. Belkar, desperate to have his companion back, seeks help from Minister Malack because Durkon is mysteriously missing. Minister Malack casts Create Undead on Mr. Scruffy, who seeks his revenge on Yukyuk "Pet Sematary"-style.

Okay... maybe not.:smalltongue:

jevans90
2011-05-25, 01:41 PM
Interesting to see Qarr on the other end of the whole dodging thing. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0626.html)
Question is whether Mr. Scruffy can get back to the safety of the balcony/Durkon before taking another hit?

Bruendor_Cavescout
2011-05-25, 01:44 PM
it's peculiar how everyone reacted to a shot to a cat, compared to the reaction to the burning of alive slaves or else. :-|

Well, to be fair, while those slaves were being burned alive on-screen, they were so far away that we didn't know they were people at the time. Mr. Scruffy's injury was not only on-screen, but immediate. Both are horrible things, and Tarquin's is definitely worse, but we didn't actually see the slaves being lit up. As the old drama saying goes, "Show, don't tell." In Tarquin's case, he's telling us what's going on - all we get from that is that Tarquin really is a terrible, terrible man. In Yukyuk's case, we actually see him shoot a cat - and since we experienced the shot, we have a desire to see Yukyuk's kharmic debt repaid. In blood, pain and vengeance, preferably tenfold to what Mr. Scruffy goes through before his death.

Zejety
2011-05-25, 01:50 PM
Yeah, why wouldn't they work?

We've even seen healing potions used on animals (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0375.html) in the strip.

dsavereide
2011-05-25, 02:00 PM
As a familiar, would scruffy go the astral plane like Miko's horse? Or not becaue he was summoned?

fibonacciseries
2011-05-25, 02:03 PM
To the discussion about why people are so worked up about the cruel, horrible, despicable, evil, monstrous, abominable, abhorrent, vile act that was Yukyuk's totally unprovoked attack on a defenseless cat, I think that it's sort of similar to how people were much more convinced at Tarquin's evilness by his order to shoot Enor and Gannji than they were by his burning the slaves; one the one hand, we're actively seeing these things being done to characters we care about, and on the other, we're merely hearing about the slaughter of people we've never met, to whom we have no connection, and ultimately, about whom we don't really care.

oddtail
2011-05-25, 02:10 PM
@Koshiro: You're probably right, most of what happens in the comic is pretty... abstract. And I do recall that people were very upset when a TV anchor with a three-year-old child died. Many felt it wasn't very comical because of that.

That being said, the reaction to the cat dying is still rather extreme. I am both a cat person and a dog person, and I've had a few dogs in the past, but if I see cruelty to an animal in fiction, I'm still rather "meh". Probably because it's a go-to method of establishing a villain (there's a reason TvTropes has a "kick the dog" trope), which I suppose makes me a little jaded.

And, well, it's one thing when people say "aww, poor cat", it's another with people acting like it's the worst, most horrible thing to ever happen in the comic, and I do get that vibe in this thread.

@One Skunk Todd:

You must have joined after Miko fell and died.

I'm not sure whether that's true, but I do remember the reactions to Miko's death. The thing is - there were people arguing about what her Falling meant, whether her death was enough to redeem herself, whether she was Good (that seems an all-time favourite of people familiar with the D&D alignment system, in this forum or otherwise)... in short, people took different stances.

This thread looks like everyone saying in unison "poor, poor, poor kitty!". It's more than a little strange, is all. I was rather puzzled that nobody before me posted something to the effect of my original post.

ss49
2011-05-25, 02:16 PM
1- Poor Mr. Scruffy
2- Whatever else happens, Belkar is taking that kobold down
3- Why does my RSS feed still not show 792?

Scarey Nerd
2011-05-25, 02:54 PM
Run Mr Scruffy! Run For Your Little Life!

Seraphem
2011-05-25, 03:00 PM
That kobold just signed up for the most painful, excruciating, and horrid death ever inflicted upon kobold kind. And I can't wait to watch him get it.

RUN Mr. Scruffy, RUN!!!!!

Lemur Bear
2011-05-25, 03:35 PM
I was truly expecting for Mr. Scruffy to destroy the kobold and the dog. Mr. Scruffy's abilities have no bounds. We shall see what happens next.

Taekwondodo
2011-05-25, 03:36 PM
We know Mr Scruffy. He's been travelling with the party for a while now and he's just had a rather touching scene with Belkar. We're emotionally invested, as we are with the other members of the party, and we want him to be OK. Possibly more invested as, as NerfTW said, animals incite in us a feeling of protectiveness as they remind us of children.

This in itself would be enough to make me hate the kobold but he has insinuated that he enjoys torturing animals, and has done so on numerous occasions. This means he must die. As horrible a death as possible.

balistafreak
2011-05-25, 03:43 PM
Wait, so, Mr. Scruffy took a hand crossbow shot... perhaps even with sneak attack. He has more HP than a normal housecat.

This is evidence. Of what, I'm not sure, but it is.