PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Building a CG Cleric

CalebLoki
2011-05-25, 01:48 AM
I have played D&D for a while and usually build monks, this new group I am joining needs a character capable of assisting (heals, buffs, whatnot). Having never played a Cleric before I was hoping that I could get some help with building one.

In this campaign we are banned from using Complete Mage/Scoundrel/Champion and both BoVD and BoED. We are also only allowed to use 3.5 specific books (no 3.0).

My idea was a chaotic good cleric focused towards damage prevention. We also have a 100+HP tank in the group that I would need to be able to keep going (whether through prevention or healing).

Our group is currently Lv.7 ECL, I want to avoid LA and don't want to be a healbot if possible.

myancey
2011-05-25, 02:15 AM
So work towards spells like lesser vigor with Persistent Spell from Complete Arcane.
Also use Augment Healing from Complete Divine.
Check out Sacred Healing from Complete Divine or PHB II (I forget which), though its not the best thing in the world. Still pretty cool.

Side note--that's too bad on the banned books. Complete Champion has two of my favorite healing feats. Touch of Healing and Imbued Healing are the two in case your DM changes his mind. They aren't crazy broken, and reserve feats mean that your DM can throw more at you guys.

Gwendol
2011-05-25, 02:22 AM
Well, first of all you're in for a slight change of pace (powerwise) going from monk to cleric...

You say you want to focus on damage prevention, so Protection is probably a domain that will fit, for a second domain you can choose Luck, or Good (though not as good as the name suggests...).

However, know that clerics can become true WMD's if given the time to buff properly. Spells like shield, divine luck, divine power, righteous might, magic vestment all provide means to the cleric to easily outpace the fighter or barbarian in raw power.

Another way of keeping with the damage prevention theme is to focus on summoning (and taking the Summoner domain). Let the beasts do the fighting (and taking the damage) for you!

Clerics are undoubtedly the most versatile class in the game, and plenty fun to play; Have fun!

DarthCyberWolf
2011-05-25, 02:49 AM
Persistent spell is always a good bet and doesn't really involve anything from your banned books. Bit feat strapped at low levels, but if you're human you can do this for feats:

Human: Extra Turning
Level 1: Extend Spell
Level 3: Persistent Spell
Level 6: Divine Metamagic (Persistent Spell)

Alternatively, if you can manage at least a 16 Charisma, that will give you your 6 Turn Undead attempts without Extra Turning.

With that, you can persist Mass Lesser Vigor (as was mentioned). If you can suck up the fourth level spell slot, you may extend it as well. Persistent Spell sets the duration to 24 hour, and then Extend doubles that to 48 hours. You may then persist another spell and alternate days casting them. (The other spell will have to be extended too, so another spell slot higher). Personally, I’d suggest persisting Divine Favor and diving into combat with the melee! :smallbiggrin:

For future levels, take more Extra Turning and persist more spells! Divine Power and Righteous Might are the main ones.

Outside persisting, other good spells are Greater Magic Weapon, Magic Vestment, and Greater Resistance/Superior Resistance. They last hours on their own and eliminate some of the need for those magic items. (Get different weapons and armor enchants than just another +1!) :smallwink:

*Mourns the loss of Luminous Armor*

CalebLoki
2011-05-25, 05:34 AM
Is there anything less, me hitting stuff and more me buffing or debuffing (like poison from pestilence). alignment is always subject to change, it just can't be chaotic evil.

Although I do like the idea of persist/extending spells over 48-hour periods. I am still a bit fuzzy on how DMM works with persist though.

GodGoblin
2011-05-25, 06:10 AM
Its pretty simple, works just like any other metamagic.

Persist spell ups the spell level to make it last 24hours (Cant remember how many levels at the mo) Instead of upping it that many levels use DMM and use up your turn undead uses instead :smallbiggrin:

Gwendol
2011-05-25, 06:40 AM
Well, taking the Good and the Protection domains will give you a lot of buffs and protective spells. If you take Celerity domain instead you get to cast Haste, which is an awesome buff.

The cleric spell list is immense in both scope and variability, I'm sure you'll find enough spells that fits your bill to make the character worthwhile. Getting enough time to buff might be a hurdle though so don't forget to look at ways to increase action economy (swift spells, extra movement actions, etc)

dextercorvia
2011-05-25, 10:31 AM
Well, taking the Good and the Protection domains will give you a lot of buffs and protective spells. If you take Celerity domain instead you get to cast Haste, which is an awesome buff.

The cleric spell list is immense in both scope and variability, I'm sure you'll find enough spells that fits your bill to make the character worthwhile. Getting enough time to buff might be a hurdle though so don't forget to look at ways to increase action economy (swift spells, extra movement actions, etc)

The Time domain grants haste at 3rd level instead of 4th. It also gets a great spell at 8th level.

The Travel domain gets Fly, Dimension Door, and Teleport. If you take an awesome domain, it is worth checking out the PHBII for the Spontaneous Domain ACF. If you don't take an awesome domain, I will never speak to you again.

The Cloistered Cleric (UA) gets a few extra spells, extra skill points, and a bonus domain, in exchange for a less face-smashy chassis.

Fouredged Sword
2011-05-25, 01:11 PM
One method for a super buffer is to get the ability to cast 2md level arcane spells (you can fo this with a level of sorrcerer and versitile spellcaster feat), and then advance geomancer (to allow you to count all your cleric spells as arcane in any way that benifits you)

Then go warweaver for a free mass all your buff and healing spells, as well as grant you a pool of spells cast in advance to hold for another day and release as a free action.

Build would look something like this Cleric 2/sorrcerer 1/ Cleric 1/Geomancer 4/Warweaver 5/Geomancer 6/Cleric-

Just remember to use your arcane casting level to grant useful spells for late game, like mage armor or shield.

DarthCyberWolf
2011-05-25, 02:48 PM
It will take a greater expert than I to mention what spells are good for that, as I only know of a few. But of what I do know, Greater Magic Weapon and/or Magic Vestment can be cast on other party members for a good long-term buff.

grarrrg
2011-05-25, 03:25 PM
Draconic Aura feat. Let's you pick a Dragon Aura (really?) and use it freely. Grab the Fast Healing one. Granted, it's only 1hp/round, and it can only heal up to half-health, but it can really help in the downtime between fights. Especially if Mr. 100+ hp got hammered on. Let the aura work for a while, and it will only take half as many spells to top off the party.
Bonus: If you have the Dragonblood subtype (Dragonborn of Bahamut) the Aura gets stronger as you level. At level 7 the bonus goes up to +2.

The feat is in Dragon Magic, the Aura is with the Dragon Shaman in PHBII (I think).
I'd take this instead of Touch of Healing anyway. They can both only heal up to half-health, but the Aura doesn't require any actions.

Dusto
2011-05-25, 03:41 PM
The Time domain grants haste at 3rd level instead of 4th. It also gets a great spell at 8th level.

The Travel domain gets Fly, Dimension Door, and Teleport. If you take an awesome domain, it is worth checking out the PHBII for the Spontaneous Domain ACF. If you don't take an awesome domain, I will never speak to you again.

The Cloistered Cleric (UA) gets a few extra spells, extra skill points, and a bonus domain, in exchange for a less face-smashy chassis.

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a question on this. I play a Cleric5/Combat Medic5 with the Time and Healing domains. Does your domain list get added to your spell list? Or can you only cast one of each level with your extra domain spell?

Greenish
2011-05-25, 04:08 PM
Does your domain list get added to your spell list?No. (Usually, there are a few PrCs and the like that can do that, but they're exceptions to the rule.)

Or can you only cast one of each level with your domain slot?Yes.

Elvencloud
2011-05-25, 04:11 PM
For flavor, check out Lastai in the BoED- She has the pleasure domain, which is a lot of to play.
:D

Dusto
2011-05-25, 04:30 PM
No. (Usually, there are a few PrCs and the like that can do that, but they're exceptions to the rule.)
Yes.

Ok thanks for the info. Having multiple 3rd level haste spells would have been pretty nice for my heal-bot :P But the one a day has been a huge boon to our group, so I'm definitely happy with it.

dextercorvia
2011-05-25, 08:50 PM
Ok thanks for the info. Having multiple 3rd level haste spells would have been pretty nice for my heal-bot :P But the one a day has been a huge boon to our group, so I'm definitely happy with it.

That is what the Spontaneous Domain ACF or the Domain Spontaneity feat are for. PHBII and CD respectively.