PDA

View Full Version : Evil Master of Disguise

Mr.Smashy
2011-05-25, 08:25 AM
I am trying to put together a Master of Disguise type of build for the BBEG in a campaign I plan to run. Someone who can literally interact with the group, and they would never know it. Starting the Campaign off around 3rd level, the BBEG can be between 6-7. He will be a recurring villain, constantly one step ahead of the party. I was looking at a few different PRC's but ultimately decided against them. I would gladly change my mind if there was something out there that fits the bill.
My question is this...
Should I go Rougue, Bard, or Beguiler to stat out this guy. I was also thinking of possibly going Expert out of the DMG.
I am now throwing myself upon the mercy of the Playgrounders Op-Fu.

Help me Confound my players.

Diarmuid
2011-05-25, 08:27 AM
Sounds like you should put whatever you're going to build on a Changeling chassis.

Combat Reflexes
2011-05-25, 08:35 AM
For a master of disguise, you could go either Changeling or Doppelganger.
Make sure to pack some anti-detection spells to avoid being identified!

ILM
2011-05-25, 08:42 AM
Well, I think you're going to need solid Bluff and Disguise at first, and later on ways to prevent scrying/detection. If you want to remain a step ahead from the PCs, you'll also want some good scrying.

I'm thinking a chassis of Unseen Seer and/or Cabinet Trickster, maybe a bit of Spymaster in there? Depending on how you want to go about it you may or may not not get a full casting progression. Some dips may be useful to boost the skills, others can greatly enhance your capabilities with a few choice combos, but you'd be losing caster levels. On the other hand, if you want him to be extremely focused, Sublime Chord might let you pick enough spells and catch up the lost caster levels...

At level 6-7 he'll likely rely on skills and low-level spells like Alter Self and Nondetection.

Race-wise, Changeling works but at level 6-7 you can easily replicate his racial talents with a Hat of Disguise or Alter Self. Human gives you a bonus feat and more skill points; also opens you to DMM Persist shenanigans with Southern Magician (then again you could just allow Alternative Source Spell from Dragon Magazine). Once you can Persist Glibness, you're pretty much done on the lying front.

Seth62
2011-05-25, 08:55 AM
if you want to control there actions a little more try using mind-affects or something similar along the lines of suggestion.

KillianHawkeye
2011-05-25, 08:58 AM
A rakshasa (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/rakshasa.htm) has Change Shape, Detect Thoughts, casts as a 7th-level Sorcerer, has a host of good defensive abilities (DR, SR, high natural armor) and great Skills. It's CR 10 with 7 Hit Dice.

Mr.Smashy
2011-05-25, 10:47 AM
A rakshasa (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/rakshasa.htm) has Change Shape, Detect Thoughts, casts as a 7th-level Sorcerer, has a host of good defensive abilities (DR, SR, high natural armor) and great Skills. It's CR 10 with 7 Hit Dice.

Ooooo!

Didn't even think of that. And Rakshasa are so decadently evil that it makes me want to cry. On the other hand, Changeling with racial sub levels and levels in bard/ SubChord makes me want to cry as well. Thank you guys,
keep it coming with all the juicy bits.

Optimator
2011-05-25, 03:59 PM
I just statted out an evil master of disguise villain for my campaign. Ninja 3 Duskblade 3 Chameleon 10. Make it a Changeling and then bam--sunny times.

ILM
2011-05-26, 03:26 AM
Well here's two quick build suggestions, depending on the focus you want - I haven't fully statted them out so you'll have to check if you can make all the prereqs in time:

1) Changeling Rogue 1/ Warlock 1/ Marshal 1/ Bard 5/ Mindbender 1/ Spymaster 1/ Sublime Chord 1/ Unseen Seer 9

9th level spells, one cover identity (actually kinda meh in terms of mechanics, but a nice touch flavor-wise), Bluff/Intimidate/Diplomacy powerhouse due to Beguiling Influence, Motivate Charisma and Voice of the Dragon coupled with the Changeling Rogue's ability to take 10, Telepathy at will, constant undetectable alignment and nondetection, +3d6 sneak attack (haven't checked but you could combine that with ambush feats to debuff at range with your Eldritch Blast). If you have enough room left, you can replace Warlock or Spymaster with Cleric 1, get the Planning Domain, pick up Persistent Spell and DMM: Persist, take either Southern Magician or Alternate Spell Source, grab a metric ton of Nightsticks, and DMM Persist a bunch of various divination wards.

2) Changeling Rogue 1/ Bard 5/ Mindbender 1/ Spymaster 1/ Cabinet Trickster 5/ Sublime Chord 1/ Unseen Seer 5

You only get 8th level spells, which CO experts will crucify me for, but you get 5 levels of Cabinet Trickster goodies (2 bonus feats, at-will detect thoughts, at-will confusion and stun attempts - allowing a save, but you can try all day), and an improved minor shapechange that lets you turn into any small or medium humanoid and gain its (Ex) special attacks. Only 5 US levels, but you get most of the goodies. You do lose a lot when it comes to the skills due to the loss of Marshal and Warlock. DMM Persist abuse is still available.

Both should be playable at every level from 6-7 up to 20, though the first really starts to shine once you catch up the lost spellcaster levels with Sublime Chord. Neither is likely to be a deadly combat threat but the first should fare better due to increased (and earlier) access to high level spells. You're probably going to be a bit too starved for feats to really optimize that aspect though.