PDA

View Full Version : Duskblade Idea's

Orsen
2011-05-25, 09:34 AM
Good morning forum.
I recently started playing an Elf Duskblade in a campaign. My ability scores are decent, with Dex being the highest at 16. We are second level and my current feats are Weapon Finesse and Combat Casting (bonus 2nd level feat). I'm planning on taking Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Elven Court-Blade next level but don't know where to go from there.
Anyone have any fun idea's? I like optimization but only to a certain degree (playing with a group of semi-beginners), and would really love to keep playing up the flavour of an elf.
Feats, prestige classes, experiences and all other suggestions are welcome.
Thanks!

Nich_Critic
2011-05-25, 10:12 AM
I would try to convince your DM to make the Elven courtblade martial for you, rather then burn a feat for EWP. Very likely, it won't be better then the weapon you already have. (Note: Just noticed that it can be finessed, which is good, but still feels like a weak use of a feat)

For feats, power attack is always nice, though it'll start to get good around 6th level (Right now, you probably need the attack more then the damage, but eventually you'll have extra attack to burn). For a duskblade, it's hard to go wrong with (Complete Arcane's?) Arcane strike, which lets you channel spell slots into damage (in addition to your spell channeling ability).

HalfDragonCube
2011-05-25, 10:15 AM
I would try to convince your DM to make the Elven courtblade martial for you, rather then burn a feat for EWP. Very likely, it won't be better then the weapon you already have. (Note: Just noticed that it can be finessed, which is good, but still feels like a weak use of a feat)

Isn't there something call feycraft or something like that which gives the effects of weapon finesse on the weapon? That might help.

Keld Denar
2011-05-25, 11:14 AM
There is, but it has the drawback of reducing the weapon damage size by 1. 1d10 for a Courtblade drops to 1d8, which is relatively similar to a Falchion's 2d4 with the same crit range (but not finessable).

Really, Duskblade's don't get feats, they have class features at 1st, 3rd, 6th, 9th, and 12th that are Power Attack, Knowledge Devotion, Obtain Familiar, Improved Familiar, and Arcane Strike.

Yorae
2011-05-25, 11:21 AM

For feats, power attack is always nice, though it'll start to get good around 6th level (Right now, you probably need the attack more then the damage, but eventually you'll have extra attack to burn). For a duskblade, it's hard to go wrong with (Complete Arcane's?) Arcane strike, which lets you channel spell slots into damage (in addition to your spell channeling ability).

Don't elves automatically have proficiency with weapons that have "elven" in their name? I could have sworn I read that somewhere.

Swooper
2011-05-25, 11:27 AM
Don't elves automatically have proficiency with weapons that have "elven" in their name? I could have sworn I read that somewhere.
Pathfinder, maybe? Anyway, it does not apply RAW in D&D 3.5, though I'd say it's a fair house rule.

Edit: @Keld: Nonsense, human duskblades and duskblades in games that allow flaws get feats! :smallbiggrin:

Keld Denar
2011-05-25, 11:30 AM
If they did, there would be no need for the feat "Racial Weapon Familiarity" in Races of the Stone.

I do believe there is a rule in Complete Warrior, IIRC, that lets you swap out a racial proficiency for another racial weapon though. That would mean a Dwarf could exchange Urgrosh proficiency for say...Dwarven Longaxe proficiency, or an Orc could exchange Double Axe proficiency for Orcish Shotput proficiency.

AFB to check on it for you, though, sorry. *summons Librarian*

Swooper
2011-05-25, 11:43 AM
That'd be fantastic, if true. I wonder how it affects a character who gets his racial proficiencies from his class as well (like in the case of an elf duskblade)? I'm AFB as well so I can't check either :smallsigh:

Dusk Eclipse
2011-05-25, 12:12 PM
If they did, there would be no need for the feat "Racial Weapon Familiarity" in Races of the Stone.

I do believe there is a rule in Complete Warrior, IIRC, that lets you swap out a racial proficiency for another racial weapon though. That would mean a Dwarf could exchange Urgrosh proficiency for say...Dwarven Longaxe proficiency, or an Orc could exchange Double Axe proficiency for Orcish Shotput proficiency.

AFB to check on it for you, though, sorry. *summons Librarian*

The problem is that it only applies when a race treats an exotic weapon as martial refarding proficiencies; such as trading proficiency with the Gnome Hooked Hammer for proficiency in the Gnomish Hookblade; as the elves just get the proficiencies as feats, they can't trade it by RAW, the Racial weapon familiarity feat would work, and give you access to the thin blade, the courtblade and the other one which I can't remember.

And sadly (and weirdly) Orcs (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/orc.htm) don't get any weapon familiarity.

Boci
2011-05-25, 12:21 PM
Really, Duskblade's don't get feats, they have class features at 1st, 3rd, 6th, 9th, and 12th that are Power Attack, Knowledge Devotion, Obtain Familiar, Improved Familiar, and Arcane Strike.

For pure power thats the best choice, but I like rapid metamagic and empower spell as well for higher level. Empowered vampire's touch every so often to prevent my hp from entering free fall. Plus I don't have to play a second character.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-05-25, 12:26 PM
For pure power thats the best choice, but I like rapid metamagic and empower spell as well for higher level. Empowered vampire's touch every so often to prevent my hp from entering free fall. Plus I don't have to play a second character.

Use a Bloodstone weapon (+1 equivalent), works exactly as Spell storing; but it can only store vampiric touches..and it empowers them for free; saving you two feats.

Optimator
2011-05-25, 03:55 PM
The Duskblade's Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=525.0) is pretty comprehensive.

Personally, getting Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Elven Court-Blade on a Duskblade is like setting a feat on fire, but if your group is low-op I guess it doesn't matter.

Jarveiyan
2011-05-25, 10:00 PM
My suggestion would be if you want proficiency with Courtblade and your going to use a feat to get it get Improved Weapon Familiarity (CW pg.101), it gives you proficiency with all 3 weapons for the price you were going to pay for 1.

dextercorvia
2011-05-25, 10:05 PM
The Duskblade's Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=525.0) is pretty comprehensive.

Personally, getting Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Elven Court-Blade on a Duskblade is like setting a feat on fire, but if your group is low-op I guess it doesn't matter.

He already did that by choosing Dex over Str and taking Weapon Finesse.

Orsen
2011-05-25, 10:18 PM

My group isn't optimized at all, so I feel okay tossing away a feat for more flavor then anything else. I'm also planning on keening the Court-Blade though, so that will make it a little more worthwhile. First option is hopefully talking my DM into giving it to me for free though, it would fit my back story as well.

My suggestion would be if you want proficiency with Courtblade and your going to use a feat to get it get Improved Weapon Familiarity (CW pg.101), it gives you proficiency with all 3 weapons for the price you were going to pay for 1.
I forgot about Improved Weapon Famililarity. Thanks for the reminder!

He already did that by choosing Dex over Str and taking Weapon Finesse.
I know, once again not much optimization going on. The reason I took Weapon Finesse is because we rolled stats in the order you had to take them, and my dex was much better then strength.

Optimator
2011-05-25, 10:23 PM
I know, once again not much optimization going on. The reason I took Weapon Finesse is because we rolled stats in the order you had to take them, and my dex was much better then strength.

Ah, that makes sense. Go for the courtblade then and get Knowledge Devotion and Arcane strike, then Power Attack.

hisnamehere
2011-05-25, 10:35 PM
Convince your DM to let the '+1 level of wizard' spellcasting of the Elf Paragon to be '+1 level of duskblade' (I mean, the elf flavor is in the duskblade, not the wizard). Bonus to Int, Weap Focus in your thinblade, loss of only one spellcasting level, and thematically appropriate.