PDA

View Full Version : Warblade feat progression

Lockjaw
2011-05-25, 11:19 AM
I may be joining a game shortly, and I'd like to play a warblade. Here's the deal: I know I'll be playing with three spellcasters (not sure how optimized but wizard, cleric, and druid). I'm not a huge optimizer, and already I feel a little outclassed. Would it be fair to argue for the fighter's feat progression on the warblade (every other level instead of once every four levels)?

I know the smart thing to do is play a caster, but I'm not a huge fan. I like to play as simple as possible.

Keld Denar
2011-05-25, 11:35 AM
I dunno if I'd give them FULL Fighter feat progression, but I wouldn't be opposed to opening up their list to EITHER a Warblade bonus feat OR a Fighter Bonus feat at each level a Warblade would normally get a bonus feat. I know there is a fair bit of overlap in some places, but as it stands, the Warblade bonus feat list is a tad bit too short for my taste.

Really, if you go with a 2handed reach weapon like a Glaive, and pick lots of delicious Diamond Mind and Iron Heart maneuvers, you'll have a goodly ol' time keeping up with 3 casters, assuming your DM is at all competant in crafting challenging encounters.

Elric VIII
2011-05-25, 12:04 PM
I've heard the idea of letting lower tier characters gestalt with another low-tier class when in a game with tier 1 characters. It might be a reasonable suggestion.

Draz74
2011-05-25, 12:23 PM
You won't have a problem if your party is playing their classes "out of the box" rather than powergaming. Tier 1 and Tier 3 are close enough for that.

If the Druid is utilizing fleshrakers and Venomfire, you're in trouble. And feats wouldn't probably fix that.

kardar233
2011-05-25, 01:27 PM
I don't think Warblades really need Fighter feat progression to be competitive with casters, as long as they're not Planar Shepherds or the like. I like Keld Denar's idea here however.

OT, what makes the Fleshraker so mean? Looking at its entry, it doesn't seem like a game breaker to me.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-05-25, 01:34 PM
I don't think Warblades really need Fighter feat progression to be competitive with casters, as long as they're not Planar Shepherds or the like. I like Keld Denar's idea here however.

OT, what makes the Fleshraker so mean? Looking at its entry, it doesn't seem like a game breaker to me.

Have you seen the leaping pounce attack routine?...shivers... quite strong, and the for fun, add Venomfire which gives extra d6 of acid damage, have you seen a victim of a Venomfire'd Fleshraker attack? not a pretty sight my boy

Flickerdart
2011-05-25, 01:35 PM

The poison, the pounce and the grapple are already pretty slick, but Venomfire makes them absurd - it's +CLd6 damage to any poison attack, if I recall correctly.

NNescio
2011-05-25, 01:38 PM

Leaping Pounce + Rake + Free Trip + Free Grapple attempt + Poison 1d6 Dex damage, Save DC 14.

A druid can pick up a fleshraker at Level 4 (Natural Bond), where it can get a +6/+6/+1/+1/+1 attack routine with a charge. Three of them forces a Save DC of 14 versus the aforementioned poison. This far outclasses most melee combatants, who probably have something like a single +8 and nothing else.

Throw in Venomfire, and the fleshraker can deal obscene amounts of acid damage. Multiple times per attack routine.

This makes the Fighter go cry in the corner. And probably the Warblade as well.