PDA

View Full Version : cleric differences?

zyborg
2011-05-25, 11:26 AM
I have the 4e box, and I've went through the Player's Handbook. Clerics seem to be a lot different in it, with clerics broken into two types. How different are 4e clerics from 3.5e clerics?

theNater
2011-05-25, 12:55 PM
It's been a while, so my memory might be off, but these are the things I remember noticing when I switched:

4e clerics are only proficient in armor up to chain, and not proficient in shields. As such, they may seem a little more vulnerable when on the front lines than you are used to. However, they also have more ranged attack and healing spells, so not being on the front lines is more viable.

Healing Word, which is the primary healing spell, is a minor(swift) action, so clerics can heal in addition to a standard action, rather than instead of. In the same vein, many cleric powers simultaneously harm enemies and aid allies, letting clerics do both each round, if they wish to.

Spells are chosen at creation and level-up, and are not generally swapped out from day to day. This is part of a fundamental change in the way spells work for everybody, but may be particularly noticeable to the cleric, who is accustomed to choosing from the entire cleric spell list every day.

Non-combat spells have mostly been turned into rituals. They are usually slower and almost always require reagents(material components), but there is no limit on the number of times they can be cast per day.

Just_Ice
2011-05-25, 02:12 PM
Fairly different. Strength clerics are still pretty good in a straight up fight, but I think overall it's commonly agreed that Wis fighters are better. Both are very usable, take your pick. Getting a spiked chain can be an interesting way for Strength clerics to cope with their relative fragility.

There's a third cleric build in Divine Power; I think it was more focused on debuffing, but I've forgotten.

Things like Raise Dead are rituals, and they don't get cast in fights at all, barring ridiculous circumstances.

You can only use your healing so many times per fight; people have "Healing surges", which are like healing potions they immediately drink when uncorked, but only certain abilities will do so.

Your utilities are pretty good. Bless can be a godsend in larger parties.

You can summon angels like the dickens. I don't think they're great, but some of them can wall alright, or flank. Could be wrong.

If you can at all help it, have a decent dex and get hide armour for early levels. Unless you are a dwarf, avoid chainmail.

You can use additional "Channel divinity" powers but a fair number of them require a feat and/or suck/are situational. An example of this is Turn undead. There's better options for this in the Divine Power book, as well as a feat that lets you use divine channel multiple times, but I still don't remember anything being great. Actually, just upon checking the new optional one is good, but Turn Undead can also be very useful.

zyborg
2011-05-25, 02:16 PM
Wow. Some differences. Are there still Domains and such?

theNater
2011-05-25, 02:32 PM
Domain is not a very significant mechanic. Your choice of deity(and/or domain) will be a prerequisite for some feats(mostly Channel Divinity feats), but that's about it.

Clerics differentiate from each other by spell selection(remember, clerics don't all have all the same spells any more), so there's no real need to differentiate by domain spells.

Kurald Galain
2011-05-25, 04:28 PM

Yes, in the Divine Power book.

Reluctance
2011-05-25, 05:23 PM
Domains work differently than they did in 3.5, mind. Mostly, they enhance a few of your at-will attacks.

Fundamentally, there are two broad differences. The first is that the 3.5 cleric class was your go-to for any holy guy concept. "Holy guy" got broken up amongst the Divine power source, with "cleric" focusing on healing/buffing. Paladins, Invokers, Avengers and Runepriests are alternatives for if you want your cleric to focus on other ways to be a productive party member.

Second, clerics were one of the ultimate toolkit classes, able to pick a different power selection every day based off a large list. 4e characters are more like warlocks, having a smaller, relatively fixed set of tricks that they use more often. Utility magics come in the form of rituals, which anybody can use. You won't have the same breadth of abilities, nor will you be able to cram as many concepts under the umbrella of "cleric". Those speak more to 4e base assumptions than anything cleric-specific, though.