PDA

View Full Version : Large Race

Epee Assassin
2011-05-25, 12:06 PM
Are there large races that can be played in pathfinder or a way to make a core race large?

Diarmuid
2011-05-25, 12:07 PM
Are there large races that can be played in pathfinder or a way to make a core race large?

No idea on the first part of the question, for the second...are you talking permanently? Is LA adjustment for templates acceptable?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-25, 12:11 PM
Say a wizard cast enlarge person and permanency on you. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AWizardDidIt) :smalltongue:

Dusk Eclipse
2011-05-25, 12:16 PM
I think there was a large template in pathfinder; but I am not sure.

Ravens_cry
2011-05-25, 01:12 PM
There is the Third Party, but still Pathfinder, Half Giant (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/races/half-giant). It's not large, but it has most of the advantages of being large except reach.

Cog
2011-05-25, 01:12 PM
The way PF handles monsters is to say, "Everything's on the table, but ask your DM, and by the way, here, have some flimsy guidelines." There's no such thing as LA, and the ECL adjustment of a given race varies with class level.

Epee Assassin
2011-05-25, 01:49 PM
No idea on the first part of the question, for the second...are you talking permanently? Is LA adjustment for templates acceptable?

It means are there races that are in any of the pathfinder books (bestiaries included) that have a large size that are humanoid or fey?

Epee Assassin
2011-05-25, 01:51 PM

I don't know what LA stands for but I prefer not to homebrew for this because I can't speak with the GM for the time being.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-05-25, 01:56 PM
LA= Level Adjustment

Luckmann
2011-05-25, 04:17 PM
Level Adjustment is basically when you add levels to a character's ECL (Effective Character Level) by template or 'special' races. For example, a Tiefling or Aasimar in 3.5 have "ECL +1". This means that they always add +1 level adjustment. In a party where everyone have enough experience to be Class Level 11, they will be Class Level 10, and so on.

The impact of level adjustments can vary from negligible (Aasimar Race; +1 as a Paladin or something) to downright "oh dear god" (Half-Fiend Template; +6 for a Wizard) depending on circumstance.

To answer the original question, no, to my knowledge, none of the base races supplied officially for Pathfinder is Large. Also, none of them have level adjustments.

As someone who enjoys crafting characters in my head, trying to stick to the rules in case I ever get to play a game with one of them (and as such, don't have a GM to ask "is this ok?" when doing the character), the short list of official races in Pathfinder is one of my bigger annoyances.

You would have to ask your GM about playing a Large race. Given that the base races are all pretty set in their Medium-ness, you or your GM would also have to craft a new race (or find someone to do it for you).

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-25, 04:21 PM

There's no LA in Pathfinder. Drow got their SR reduced to 8+HD, and stuff like that.

Luckmann
2011-05-25, 04:49 PM
There's no LA in Pathfinder. Drow got their SR reduced to 8+HD, and stuff like that.When I read that you said Drow, I initially thought "But.. there's no official rules for drow as player characters in PF! I've been up and down the race list again and again! :smallconfused:"

And then, then for the first time.. I clicked "Races (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races)" on the PFSRD, instead of just using the "expand" option at the sidebar.

Godammit.

:smallamused: