SPoD
2011-05-25, 02:26 PM
She's a sylph.

martianmister
2011-05-25, 02:44 PM
A home-made version of sylph race.

ORione
2011-05-25, 04:09 PM
In one strip (I don't remember which one, but it was vduring the Greysky City arc) Roy described Celia as "inexplicably medium-sized". So her species probably usually isn't medium-sized.

SPoD
2011-05-26, 08:45 AM
In one strip (I don't remember which one, but it was vduring the Greysky City arc) Roy described Celia as "inexplicably medium-sized". So her species probably usually isn't medium-sized.

Yeah, the official D&D version of the sylph is Small. But then, so is the official D&D version of the goblin.

Dr.Epic
2011-05-26, 01:31 PM
She's a sylph and I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned a few times in the comic. She's just the rare, plot-contrived, medium-sized sylph.

Stormwolf
2011-05-26, 02:41 PM
She's a sylph and I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned a few times in the comic. She's just the rare, plot-contrived, medium-sized sylph.

Does that make her sylph-centered or sylph-ish? :smallamused:

hamishspence
2011-05-26, 02:46 PM
There was a distinct lack of sylph-esteem after the Greysky arc :smallbiggrin:

Holy_Knight
2011-05-26, 04:29 PM
Yeah, the official D&D version of the sylph is Small. But then, so is the official D&D version of the goblin.

Yeah, I always figured that OoTS sylphs in general were medium-sized, not that Celia was vastly oversized for her race. Besides, her co-workers from the Dungeon of Durokan were the same size as she was, and they appeared to be sylphs as well.

Gift Jeraff
2011-05-26, 04:44 PM
Her co-workers were not sylphs. They lacked wings and were probably some sort of Earth/Fire Outsiders or Fey.

Her ex-boyfriend (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0269.html), however, certainly was.

martianmister
2011-05-26, 05:17 PM
Yeah, I always figured that OoTS sylphs in general were medium-sized, not that Celia was vastly oversized for her race.

There is a normal sized Sylph in the last panel. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0087.html)

brionl
2011-05-26, 05:31 PM
There is a normal sized Sylph in the last panel. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0087.html)

Belkar is Small. The flying winged lady-thingie looks more Tiny. Probably a Sprite of some kind, like a Grig.

Just got done looking through my 1ed & 2ed Monster Manuals. Sylphs are medium sized in both of those, so the Small Sylphs are new to 3ed.

Gift Jeraff
2011-05-26, 05:43 PM
Belkar is Small. The flying winged lady-thingie looks more Tiny.
Not to mention she looks smaller than Mr. Scruffy and roughly the same size as Blackwing or Qarr, all of whom are Tiny.

Dvandemon
2011-05-26, 05:46 PM
You know, Roy's girlfriend.

Not to be mean but, have you actually read the strips? I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere.

This is one of those times I like all raeg over ignorance, but then I realized I'm not entirely sure on my knowledge and kind of calm down a little

Goosefarble
2011-05-26, 06:57 PM
Does that make her sylph-centered or sylph-ish? :smallamused:

Well played.

Dr.Epic
2011-05-26, 08:01 PM

How do we know it's a sylph? Couldn't it be like a sprite or something?

FujinAkari
2011-05-26, 10:21 PM
Yeah, that is most certainly a Pixie. That is NOT a small creature.

Additionally, if Sylph are anything like Goblins, the OOTS versions come "inexplicably medium"

Dr.Epic
2011-05-26, 10:35 PM
Actually, Rich has kind of an odd way of portraying height and size category. Look at the sea trolls and compare them to when Durkon uses Thor's Might.

SPoD
2011-05-26, 11:28 PM

It's definitely a pixie. If you look in the Board Game, that exact same character is in the game as a monster card titled "Pixie Chick." The card even has the same pink background as the women's restroom from that panel.

Gift Jeraff
2011-05-26, 11:58 PM
But pixies are Small creatures. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/sprite.htm#pixie) :smalltongue: (In 3.5, at least.)

But if the board game confirms her as a pixie, then I guess we have inexplicably Tiny pixies in addition to Medium goblins and sylphs.

Dr.Epic
2011-05-26, 11:59 PM
But if the board game confirms her as a pixie, then I guess we have inexplicably Tiny pixies, too.

What kind of messed up size categories does the OotS world have?:smallconfused:

FujinAkari
2011-05-27, 12:20 AM
But pixies are Small creatures. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/sprite.htm#pixie) :smalltongue: (In 3.5, at least.)

But if the board game confirms her as a pixie, then I guess we have inexplicably Tiny pixies in addition to Medium goblins and sylphs.

What makes us think the Pixie is tiny? Small creatures start at 2' tall, and given Haley's height as a reference, that looks about correct.

Edit: Just did the math, 2.25 pixies = haley's height (checked in paint, won't post due to not wanting to alter Rich's art) which means that Haley has to be shorter than 4'6" for the pixie to classify as tiny (4.5 / 2.25 = 2 feet tall, exactly)

Gurgeh
2011-05-27, 12:26 AM
Actually, Rich has kind of an odd way of portraying height and size category. Look at the sea trolls and compare them to when Durkon uses Thor's Might.
That's always bugged me - Durkon ought to only be Large when using the spell, and given he's a dwarf it should be on the small end of Large, to boot. He's easily Huge there - a good four times taller than any Medium-sized creatures nearby.

My bet is that he just wants to make it obvious - it's better to have a flat-out "oh no, it's dwarfzilla" effect than to just make him a little bit bigger, given that truly monstrous size makes the advantages of being bigger a lot more obvious. The comic's nature makes it a lot easier to show him squishing goblins and zombies than to have him send them flying.

EDIT: it's also possible that the extra size is trying to take into account the ridiculous benefits Righteous Might used to confer pre-errata; +8 strength and +4 con isn't consistent with a single increase in size category, so it's entirely possible that the OotS version actually does make Durkon Huge.

Gift Jeraff
2011-05-27, 12:29 AM
What makes us think the Pixie is tiny? Small creatures start at 2' tall, and given Haley's height as a reference, that looks about correct.
Yeah, that is most certainly a Pixie. That is NOT a small creature.Does not compute.

But she doesn't seem much taller than Qarr, who is Tiny and describes himself as 18-inches tall (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0625.html). Of course, that was over 500 strips later. I doubt Rich was even thinking about the height of pixies at the time.

FujinAkari
2011-05-27, 12:33 AM
Does not compute.

So... are you arguing that Haley is shorter than four and a half feet tall? Because I pretty much proved the pixie was small, my hasty gut reaction not withstanding :P

Gift Jeraff
2011-05-27, 12:42 AM
No, I do not get how before you implied the pixie was Tiny ("That is NOT a small creature."), yet now said "What makes us think the Pixie is tiny?" :smalltongue:

FujinAkari
2011-05-27, 12:45 AM
No, I do not get how before you implied the pixie was Tiny ("That is NOT a small creature."), yet now said "What makes us think the Pixie is tiny?" :smalltongue:

Because I made a mistake? People do that, you know :P

And, to be honest, I was comparing Celia to the pixie, forgetting she was drawn as Medium.

Gift Jeraff
2011-05-27, 12:51 AM
Because I made a mistake? People do that, you know :P
What I found odd was how you basically said there's no reason to assume the pixie was tiny, despite you yourself thinking otherwise earlier.

I was more confused than anything else, not offended or anything. :smallredface:

Souhiro
2011-05-27, 02:29 AM
Well, perhaps she IS a Sylph, a Small-sized one, but she is wearing high heels, and that makes the difference. Belkar can turn into the allmighty "Medium Sized Belkar" using his stilts.

Giggling Ghast
2011-05-27, 02:37 AM
High heels move you up a Size category? I think not.

Besides, Celia being a Small creature would make pursuing a relationship with Roy rather difficult, correct?

FujinAkari
2011-05-27, 02:40 AM
Well, perhaps she IS a Sylph, a Small-sized one, but she is wearing high heels, and that makes the difference. Belkar can turn into the allmighty "Medium Sized Belkar" using his stilts.

I think Belkar is normally medium sized... what with being the same height as Goblins and all :P

Dr.Epic
2011-05-27, 03:41 AM

Magical ones do.

Squark
2011-05-27, 08:50 AM
Magical ones do.

But high heels are a)Useless for someone who flies, and b)depicted visually in Oots, if Origins is anything to go by.

BlackestOfMages
2011-05-27, 10:16 AM
and we've been told that Celia is "Inexplicably medium size", and has been called a Sylph multiple times

and Belkar is shorter than any of the Goblins in the strip, save the little kid ones and some of the very early ones (when the pliot was entierly incidental), and called himself small multiple times.

Dvandemon
2011-05-27, 02:17 PM
Why are we still discussing this? O.o It's like if you bring up any inconsistencies between people's idea of a single subject, they'll spend hours settling the matter.

sr123
2011-05-27, 02:51 PM

This is a personal matter, heavily dependent on the boyfriend and girlfriend and one's taste in platform shoes.

Psyren
2011-05-27, 02:52 PM
Besides, Celia being a Small creature would make pursuing a relationship with Roy rather difficult, correct?

Would it? Serini is Small too, and she had no trouble fantasizing outside her size category.

HappyBlanket
2011-05-27, 02:56 PM
Why are we still discussing this? O.o It's like if you bring up any inconsistencies between people's idea of a single subject, they'll spend hours settling the matter.

You have no idea how amusing it is to come into the OOTS forums to see a "What race is Celia?" thread with two pages of discussion.

MoonCat
2011-05-27, 03:31 PM

Because we are OoTS forumers!

Dvandemon
2011-05-28, 04:45 AM
You have no idea how amusing it is to come into the OOTS forums to see a "What race is Celia?" thread with two pages of discussion.

IDK, I lump this in with other, rather pointless threads.

Souhiro
2011-05-31, 01:54 AM
Well, As I said, Belkar is a Small Creature, with stilts he becomes the allmighty Belkar the Medium Sized, as seen Here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/images/oots0298.gif). ("Hello, fellow Medium-sized creature! How are you enjoying being Medium-Sized, like me, on this lovely day?")

So, Celia, who have a hight sense of fashion (Not like our Haley and her new outfit...) is a Lawyer (who needs presence) don't fight, and many other traits, can easily use high heels, or even pumps, and reach Roy and his afections

If Castlevania, Symphony of the Night, you can put platform shoes to your character, and he will grow... a pixel.

Herald Alberich
2011-05-31, 02:07 AM
EDIT: it's also possible that the extra size is trying to take into account the ridiculous benefits Righteous Might used to confer pre-errata; +8 strength and +4 con isn't consistent with a single increase in size category, so it's entirely possible that the OotS version actually does make Durkon Huge.

Well, of course, because there has to be something that makes it better than a simple Enlarge Person (which makes the Azurite soldiers just as large (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0427.html), by the way). The extra strength and Con is due to divine power.

Kish
2011-05-31, 09:04 AM
Well, As I said, Belkar is a Small Creature, with stilts he becomes the allmighty Belkar the Medium Sized, as seen Here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/images/oots0298.gif). ("Hello, fellow Medium-sized creature! How are you enjoying being Medium-Sized, like me, on this lovely day?")
You realize that was Belkar lying, not Rich saying "yeah, stilts totally change your size category," I hope.

Souhiro
2011-05-31, 09:41 AM
You realize that was Belkar lying, not Rich saying "yeah, stilts totally change your size category," I hope.

xDD Well, I think he is very serious about the "are you enjoying being Medium-Sized, like me?" He is REALLY enjoying being BIG for once!

In a Live Event ambiented in Dragonlance, I played a Gnome, and since I'm 6 feet tall, I made some stilts-pants. I said that "I'm the Gnome who invented stilts. Tenchologic Stilts!!"

Ancalagon
2011-05-31, 11:55 AM
In a Live Event ambiented in Dragonlance, I played a Gnome, and since I'm 6 feet tall, I made some stilts-pants. I said that "I'm the Gnome who invented stilts. Tenchologic Stilts!!"

From my experience: stuff like that never works as the playing player hopes it does. The overweight elves don't, the skinny dwarves don't, the large dwarves don't, the sturdy elves don't, the shy guy how plays a cool knight does not, the shy guy who plays the cool wizard does not, and the large gnomes don't work either. ;)

HappyBlanket
2011-06-01, 10:09 PM
IDK, I lump this in with other, rather pointless threads.

Like the V's Gender Debate thread? Spanning over 50 pages?

Epee Assassin
2011-06-03, 02:42 PM
Not to be mean but, have you actually read the strips?

Yes, I have. All 793, in fact. I apologize for not remembering every moment.

Stormwolf
2011-06-03, 03:26 PM
Yes, I have. All 793, in fact. I apologize for not remembering every moment.

Not good enough damnit - stay behind after class and repeat the exercise :smallbiggrin:

Nimrod's Son
2011-06-04, 09:24 PM
Like the V's Gender Debate thread? Spanning over 50 pages?
In each of the four previous threads, that is. And another two in the fifth. :smallamused:

HappyBlanket
2011-06-04, 11:28 PM
In each of the four previous threads, that is. And another two in the fifth. :smallamused:

Over 202 pages of discussion on V's gender. Welcome to the gitp forums.

Epee Assassin
2011-06-05, 08:55 AM
Not good enough damnit - stay behind after class and repeat the exercise :smallbiggrin:

I have read all of the prequel books, not to mention own them...

HappyBlanket
2011-06-05, 09:12 AM
I have read all of the prequel books, not to mention own them...

Celia's race has been mentioned multiple times. Repeat the damn exercise! Your exams are coming up, so you better start cramming!

the_tick_rules
2011-06-06, 11:02 AM
it'd help roy with his self-esteem :smallwink:

Scarlet Knight
2011-06-06, 11:40 AM
From my experience: stuff like that never works as the playing player hopes it does. The overweight elves don't, the skinny dwarves don't, the large dwarves don't, the sturdy elves don't, the shy guy how plays a cool knight does not, the shy guy who plays the cool wizard does not, and the large gnomes don't work either. ;)

It's all about backstory. Celia's great-grandmother slept with a brownie, her grandma slept with a faun, and her father slept with a dryad. Celia thus has genes for both size and promiscuity...

Ancalagon
2011-06-06, 02:11 PM
It's all about backstory. Celia's great-grandmother slept with a brownie, her grandma slept with a faun, and her father slept with a dryad. Celia thus has genes for both size and promiscuity...

I wasn't talking about Celia. For me, the on-topic ended with the second post in this thread.

Xapi
2011-06-06, 03:33 PM
Belkar is Small. The flying winged lady-thingie looks more Tiny. Probably a Sprite of some kind, like a Grig.

Just got done looking through my 1ed & 2ed Monster Manuals. Sylphs are medium sized in both of those, so the Small Sylphs are new to 3ed.

Perhaps this is the answer, we've seen plenty of old monsters in the Dungeon of Durokan, so why not an early edition of a monster that got an update later?

Onyavar
2011-06-06, 05:40 PM

Huh. Only four V's threads existed so far? Okay, not counting the non-official ones is fair, but there only existed four??

Or are you just counting the ones you did participate?

Nimrod's Son
2011-06-06, 09:36 PM
Huh. Only four V's threads existed so far? Okay, not counting the non-official ones is fair, but there only existed four??

Or are you just counting the ones you did participate?
I'm counting the OFFICIAL threads. Obviously there have been literally hundreds of V's gender threads over the years but they usually get merged with the main one.

(I expect most of the old ones were lost in the purge, since thread #4 - which was only closed last week - was started over five years ago.)

Scarlet Knight
2011-06-08, 08:14 AM
I wasn't talking about Celia. For me, the on-topic ended with the second post in this thread.

Oops, sorry. :smallredface:

Kish
2011-06-08, 08:30 AM
Given that Celia has had sex with one man during the comic's multi-year run, and is not established as ever having sex with anyone who wasn't her official boyfriend, I look with a jaundiced eye on the word "promiscuity" being applied to her.

But I suppose "genes for having sex when not married" lacks the punch.