PDA

View Full Version : How to magically improve Unarmed Attack?

Forbiddenwar
2011-05-25, 06:31 PM
I know of only 2 RAW ways besides spells. Necklace of natural attacks and Monks belt, but do those help bypass damage reduction? Is there any other way? Tattoos? Other magic items? Please help, because this area seems sadly lacking.

King Atticus
2011-05-25, 06:45 PM
There's class features that will do that. Monk eventually will do that, VoP (not worth it), Kensai with some XP costs and I think there are a few others that slip my mind at the moment.

Shpadoinkle
2011-05-25, 06:59 PM
Step 1: Buy gauntlets
Step 2: Enchant gauntlets

Dylaer
2011-05-25, 07:06 PM
Improved Natural Attack, the monstrous feat, makes your natural attacks (funnily) do damage as 1 size category larger; the Amulet of Mighty Fists, which is far too expensive, gives a +1 enhancement bonus; and the Warshaper class makes any existing ones do damage as another size category higher.

Forbiddenwar
2011-05-25, 07:28 PM
Step 1: Buy gauntlets
Step 2: Enchant gauntlets

At my table, step 3 is duck the books thrown at you by the DM.
But I did find The Dragonfang Gaunlets (MIC 95) that specifically state that it changes a gauntlet attack to an unarmed attack. They give a +2 to str and are considred masterwork so they may be able to be enchanted further.

Edit: ring of brief blessing, wyrmfang amulet, ring of force armor and ghoul gauntlets also look interesting.

subject42
2011-05-25, 07:30 PM
I don't have access to my books right now, but I believe that Complete Warrior has a few feats that grant bonuses to unarmed strike.

Cadian 9th
2011-05-25, 07:34 PM
Greater Mighty Wallop from Races of the Dragon by caster level 20 will increase small+ unarmed strikes (with aid of a monk's belt) to 6d6. It increases the damage by 1 category/4 Caster levels, IIRC.

Unholy Beast (if you can cast Aspect of the Wolf, or something else granting the animal type) it grants you +1 size category of damage, in addition to a +2 bonus to Natural armor, strength, dexterity and constituition. Occular spell lets you persist it.

Enlarge Weapon (CSco) enlarges the weapon.

Sharptooth (SpC) increases damage by one size category.

If you have all these active, you'll deal 12d6 with each unarmed attack.

Essence_of_War
2011-05-25, 07:36 PM
Kensai from Complete Warrior allows you to do this.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-25, 07:39 PM
Magic Fang, Greater Magic Fang, Rusting Grasp (for sundering enemy stuff), I'm sure there are some more in Complete Divine.

Forbiddenwar
2011-05-25, 07:45 PM
I did say besides spells. After reading the necklace of natural attacks, I realized that you don't really need anything else, but I have heard of people using tattoos and wraps before but can't find anything like that, are those homebrew or in a book I haven't searched yet?

King Atticus
2011-05-25, 07:58 PM
I did say besides spells. After reading the necklace of natural attacks, I realized that you don't really need anything else, but I have heard of people using tattoos and wraps before but can't find anything like that, are those homebrew or in a book I haven't searched yet?

You might be thinking of Ki Straps (MIC 113) but that's only for stunning fist dc's

Tvtyrant
2011-05-25, 08:03 PM

Have you looked into the ToB crowns? For around 3000 GP you can get an item that gives you any one stance or maneuver at level 3 or below, which if you take off you can switch to anything within the same school.

Cadian 9th
2011-05-25, 08:12 PM

Technically those could be made into magic item effects, but I'm sorry I missed that part :smallredface:

As above posters have said, use gauntlets, then make them out of gold. (MoF) In addition to having golden gauntlets, you deal damage as if one size larger (technically, it increases on a table that exactly mimicks the size increase table).

Shpadoinkle
2011-05-25, 09:11 PM

What, precisely, is wrong with enchanting gauntlets?

dextercorvia
2011-05-25, 10:10 PM
Manifest Expansion.

There is a feat in PHBII that changes the type of damage your Unarmed Strike does. Choose slashing and take Snowflake Wardance.

Dylaer
2011-05-25, 10:15 PM

Gauntlet =/= unarmed strike. You can't put on gauntlets and claim they're unarmed.

EDIT: Above statement is for Monks - they don't get their increased unarmed strike damage with the gauntlet.

dextercorvia
2011-05-25, 10:17 PM
Gauntlet =/= unarmed strike. You can't put on gauntlets and claim they're unarmed.

Oh, really?

Gauntlet

This metal glove lets you deal lethal damage rather than nonlethal damage with unarmed strikes. A strike with a gauntlet is otherwise considered an unarmed attack. The cost and weight given are for a single gauntlet. Medium and heavy armors (except breastplate) come with gauntlets.

Emphasis mine.

Dylaer
2011-05-25, 10:22 PM
I was refferring to the stacking with Monk. RAW, yes; RAI, no IMO. I will, however, go back and clarify my statement.

Forbiddenwar
2011-05-25, 10:39 PM

Some Dm's consider them armor, which removes many bonuses for monks and UASS

Mad Gene Vane
2011-05-26, 12:36 AM
There is a Tattooed Monk Prestige Class in the Complete Warrior D&D 3.5 book. You get various tattoos that grant different powers.

I think the abilities granted by the tattoos aren't that great, but it maybe one way to increase unarmed attacks.

Cog
2011-05-26, 12:41 AM
There's the Buddha's Palm build, stacking Monk and Soulknife progression and getting both sets of benefits by shaping your mind blade into the form of an unarmed strike using a Dragon Magazine feat.

Vizzerdrix
2011-05-26, 01:49 AM

So... Barbarian Frost Rager? Still punching things to death. In the face. With Ice!

Curmudgeon
2011-05-26, 10:03 AM
They also do only 1d2 damage (if Small) or 1d3 damage (if Medium), according to the table, so that removes bonuses for anybody with better damage right there.

Yuki Akuma
2011-05-26, 10:05 AM

...What?

What's wrong with gauntlets?

They're listed on the weapons table! With a cost and everything!

They're not armour! They're weapons!

They are not, however, monk weapons...

Elric VIII
2011-05-26, 10:45 AM
They also do only 1d2 damage (if Small) or 1d3 damage (if Medium), according to the table, so that removes bonuses for anybody with better damage right there.

Doesn't the rule that dextercorvia quoted allow you to apply anything that alters or boosts your unarmed strike damage to your gauntlet damage as well?

Coidzor
2011-05-26, 10:55 AM
Houserule monks so they're not WOTC's gimps or use ToB to get Mountain Hammer.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-26, 11:35 AM
Doesn't the rule that dextercorvia quoted allow you to apply anything that alters or boosts your unarmed strike damage to your gauntlet damage as well?
That's going to be each DM's call.
A strike with a gauntlet is otherwise considered an unarmed attack. That "otherwise" seems to me to refer to characteristics other than what's in their table entry ─ like cost, weight, and damage. After all, gauntlets don't cost the same as an unarmed attack without gauntlets, and don't weigh the same as an unarmed attack without gauntlets, so why should the damage be the same as an unarmed attack without gauntlets? They've got specific damage entries right there in the weapons table, so I think that trumps the general unarmed attack statement.

MeeposFire
2011-05-26, 11:37 AM
The FAQ clearly says that gauntlets use your unarmed damage (even the monk one since monk unarmed strike has no limitations in armor) and can be used to enhance your unarmed strike.

The only problem is for monks since they can not use them in a flurry and are not proficient with them so that is a double whammy.

They are very nice for someone making a non-monk unarmed attacker (like swordsage or fighter).

Curmudgeon
2011-05-26, 12:13 PM
The FAQ clearly says that gauntlets use your unarmed damage (even the monk one since monk unarmed strike has no limitations in armor) and can be used to enhance your unarmed strike.
So? The FAQ clearly says a bunch of things that are against the rules.
You might be confusing Quick Draw with the ability of any character with a base attack bonus of +1 or better to draw or sheathe a weapon as a free action as part of movement (PH 142). Since they've helpfully provide a page number, you can easily check to see that the highlighted part is bogus.

The FAQ is not a rules source.

MeeposFire
2011-05-26, 12:24 PM
So? The FAQ clearly says a bunch of things that are against the rules. Since they've helpfully provide a page number, you can easily check to see that the highlighted part is bogus.

The FAQ is not a rules source.

And neither are you or me of course.

What they say holds water especially if you look at text trumps table. In this case even if you hold the table as being as pertinent as the text then we are at an impasse. Seeing that both readings would be equal in this case the FAQ saying this is how it should be read holds more weight than the readings of random gamers across the internet.

dextercorvia
2011-05-26, 12:30 PM
That's going to be each DM's call. That "otherwise" seems to me to refer to characteristics other than what's in their table entry ─ like cost, weight, and damage. After all, gauntlets don't cost the same as an unarmed attack without gauntlets, and don't weigh the same as an unarmed attack without gauntlets, so why should the damage be the same as an unarmed attack without gauntlets? They've got specific damage entries right there in the weapons table, so I think that trumps the general unarmed attack statement.

Last time I checked, strikes don't have a cost or a weight. The simplest explanation is that the otherwise refers to the lethal vs. nonlethal bit. The quote is that a strike with a gauntlet... Unarmed strikes also have specific damage entries. It really all depends on whether the Monk's unarmed text is more specific than the gauntlet damage listing in the table. It seems to me that there is a rule about text and tables and which to go with if there is a contradiction.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-26, 01:24 PM
It seems to me that there is a rule about text and tables and which to go with if there is a contradiction.
But I don't see any contradiction there. After all, the text doesn't make any explicit statements about what damage an unarmed strike deals. It all depends on how much scope the particular DM thinks that word "otherwise" has (other than what is the issue here). This could lead to the gauntlets dealing the same damage as without gauntlets, or dealing what the table says.

It's a DM's call.

Greenish
2011-05-26, 06:48 PM
Ward Cestus from A&EG deals the same damage as your unarmed strikes, or so I should think. The description says "A strike with Ward Cestus is considered an unarmed attack", and in place of damage in the table it has "Special; see description".

That's 3.0, though, and not a monk weapon (not sure if that matters).

holywhippet
2011-05-26, 07:16 PM
Greater Mighty Wallop from Races of the Dragon by caster level 20 will increase small+ unarmed strikes (with aid of a monk's belt) to 6d6. It increases the damage by 1 category/4 Caster levels, IIRC.

It's a pity that GMW is a wizard/sorcerer spell and not a cleric spell. Otherwise a monk/cleric/sacred fist could cast it on themself. It's kind of an odd spell also - only working on bludgeoning weapons. You'd think that would make it more of a cleric type spell since traditionally they use bludgeoning weapons.

Greenish
2011-05-26, 07:19 PM
It's a pity that GMW is a wizard/sorcerer spell and not a cleric spell. Otherwise a monk/cleric/sacred fist could cast it on themself. It's kind of an odd spell also - only working on bludgeoning weapons. You'd think that would make it more of a cleric type spell since traditionally they use bludgeoning weapons.Well, they were just thinking "haha, a kobold sorcerer surprises people with his mace", with no thought toward someone using it on monks and the like.

Or so I imagine.

Tokiko Mima
2011-05-26, 07:27 PM
Are you open to taking 3 levels of Warlock and spending 2 feats in exchange for approximately triple base unarmed strike damage?

Because Beast Strike (Dr355) and Eldritch Claws (Dr358) combine to rather nasty effect AND you can now increase your unarmed strike damage by increasing Eldritch Blast damage via magic items (Chausible of Fell Power) or effects.

holywhippet
2011-05-26, 07:33 PM
Well, they were just thinking "haha, a kobold sorcerer surprises people with his mace", with no thought toward someone using it on monks and the like.

Or so I imagine.

Could be, but that would require a kobold sorcerer to be willing to actually step into melee range with their crap BAB and AC. They could buff them up I suppose, a casting of transformation before entering melee could really mess up somebody's day.

Greenish
2011-05-26, 07:39 PM
Could be, but that would require a kobold sorcerer to be willing to actually step into melee range with their crap BAB and AC.Yes. It's WotC, they don't think like people do.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/rodragon_gallery/94155.jpg

Cog
2011-05-26, 07:42 PM
Yes. It's WotC, they don't think like people do.
Hey, I've played with people like that.

Granted, he's the guy who constantly gets himself killed through the stupidity of his actions, and the only reason he isn't further in the lead for character deaths is that I had a bad habit of killing mine off so I could roll up new ones...

Thurbane
2011-05-26, 09:16 PM
A Wand (or Eternal Wand) of Heroics will allow you to temporarily get Fighter Bonus Feats to help out your unnarmed attacks (Improved Critical, Stunning Fist line etc.).

Cadian 9th
2011-05-26, 11:28 PM
It's a pity that GMW is a wizard/sorcerer spell and not a cleric spell. Otherwise a monk/cleric/sacred fist could cast it on themself. It's kind of an odd spell also - only working on bludgeoning weapons. You'd think that would make it more of a cleric type spell since traditionally they use bludgeoning weapons.

Yeah, excepting Archivist or Favored Soul.

@Thurbane, I don't think he wants wands and stuff, but yeah, excellent suggestion.