PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e PrC] The Dual-Arcanist (PEACH)

Welknair
2011-05-25, 07:21 PM
I was having a discussion some time ago with a person new to D&D and they asked me why it wasn't a good idea to be a Wizard/Sorcerer. Well the simple answer is that it's idiotic. Identical spell lists. All you're doing is splitting your CL, becoming MAD and getting tons of low-level spell-slots instead of ones that could actually be useful. But hey, we have Theurges for most anything else, why not Wizard/Sorcerer? Or any two Arcanists, actually? (Admittedly this means that Sorcerer/Wizard is still a bad choice as going Wu jen/Wizard would give you access to more spells). This is kind of a joke class. Or maybe it's not. I'm not sure. Though based on the Mystic Theurge, I think some actual class features may be in order to make it at least somewhat feasible.

The Dual Arcanist
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs26/i/2008/032/3/c/Arcanist_by_enrikor.jpg
"Twice the spells is twice the power."

-Leonard, Dual Arcanist

Some people are good with Arcane magic. Some people are so good that they end up pursuing two Arcane Paths at once. Most people call them idiots or "Unoptomized". They don't care. They know that if it came down to it, they'd have more spells than this lowly plebian. And it's the spells that matter. Dual Arcanists are usually obsessed with either power or knowledge. Or both.

Becoming a Dual-Arcanist
Dual Arcanists often start their careers as Wizards later picking up a second class, though this is not always the case. They find early on that their original vocation is too limiting and seek alternatives to expand their horizons. And then they start flipping through books to find a class that can actually expand horizons.

Entry Requirements:
Spells: Able to cast 2nd level spells from two different spell lists (Count Wizard and Sorcerer spell lists as "Different")
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) 8, Spellcraft 8

Class Skills: Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Knowledge (all skills, taken individually), Profession, and Spellcraft.
Skill Points each level: 2 + Intelligence Modifier

Hit Dice: d4

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
Spellcasting

1st

+0

+0

+0

+2
Twice-Cast
+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

2nd

+1

+0

+0

+3

+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

3rd

+1

+1

+1

+3

4th

+2

+1

+1

+4
Arcane Crossover

5th

+2

+1

+1

+4

6th

+3

+2

+2

+5

7th

+3

+2

+2

+5
Metaduplicity

8th

+4

+2

+2

+6

9th

+4

+3

+3

+6

10th

+5

+3

+3

+7
Greater Arcane Crossover

Twice-Cast: In an effort to use the vast quantity of spells at their disposal, Dual Arcanists learn how to cast the same spell twice from two sources. When casting a spell, the Dual-Arcanist may choose to cast it twice, once from each of their arcane casting classes, and increase the Caster Level of the spell up to the total number of levels the Arcanist has in arcane-spellcasting classes. Doing this increases the casting time as if it were a metamagic feat being applied to a spontaneously cast spell: Standard action becomes a Full-round, for spells of longer duration, it's an extra full-round action. Both spells must have a Metamagic feat if such an effect is to be added.

Arcane Crossover: After much study and practice, the Dual Arcanist has learned to meld the teachings of their two paths... somewhat. They can choose three spells from each of their lists to add to their other list.

Metaduplicity: The Dual-Arcanist has learned how to utilize Metamagic in their Twice-Cast spells. If either of the spells has a Metamagic feat attached, it is attached to the Twice Cast.

Greater Arcane Crossover: The Dual-Arcanist has become so attuned to their odd way of casting spells drawn from two disciplines that they are inextricably intertwined. Spell slots may be used to prepare and cast spells from the other list. If one list is spontaneous while the other is prepared, the spontaneous slots may be used to cast prepared spells. Alternately, the Dual Arcanist may prepare spells which they can cast spontaneously from the other list. If both are spontaneous, the spell slots are effectively merged. They can be used to cast spells from either list. If both are prepared, the spells can be prepared in either set of slots. This ability makes Twice Casts much easier to set up.

So there it is. I believe that the features should at least make it playable. I quite like how Twice Cast turned out as it means that while still a decent idea, taking Practiced Spellcaster is no longer required. Please let me know what you think. It was a homebrew of whimsy so I don't expect it to be terribly amazing given that the concept is in and of itself flawed.

EdroGrimshell
2011-05-25, 07:54 PM
Check the Ultimate Magus in Complete Mage. It mixes a spontaneous arcane caster and a prepared arcane caster.

Welknair
2011-05-25, 07:56 PM
Check the Ultimate Magus in Complete Mage. It mixes a spontaneous arcane caster and a prepared arcane caster.

One of the only three Completes I don't have. Darn.

Garryl
2011-05-25, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Magus (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061010a&page=3) is also available online.

Welknair
2011-05-26, 12:09 AM
Ultimate Magus (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061010a&page=3) is also available online.

Why thank you. While a bit different, I guess that kinda renders this class moot. Oh well.

Garryl
2011-05-26, 12:30 AM
You're welcome. Wizards of the Coast put a lot of stuff out on the net. You can find a (mostly) complete list here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1109.80) (note that the most up-to-date listing is currently on page 5).

There is still room for this class if you want to work at it. Prepared/prepared (only Wizard and Wu Jen, I think) and spontaneous/spontaneous don't have any class to progress them (although UM has an adaptation for that). If you spruce it up a bit, or make it more specific or something, you can still carve out a niche for your idea. Take the Arcane Hierophant (RotW), which works like a Mystic Theurge designed for arcane/Druid instead of generic arcane/divine, or the Green Whisperer (some Dragon magazine), which deals with Bard/Druid.

If you do continue to develop this, I cannot stress the need to reduce the requirements on the spellcasting side of things. 3rd level spells from two lists requires a serious commitment (Wizard 5/Wu Jen 5 gets it the earliest) if you don't want to use early entry tricks. Being 5 levels behind on spellcasting ruins your spell access compared to just going straight caster. Even the 3 levels lost for Mystic Theurge amounts to a price that's usually too high.

Welknair
2011-05-26, 12:36 AM
If you do continue to develop this, I cannot stress the need to reduce the requirements on the spellcasting side of things. 3rd level spells from two lists requires a serious commitment (Wizard 5/Wu Jen 5 gets it the earliest) if you don't want to use early entry tricks. Being 5 levels behind on spellcasting ruins your spell access compared to just going straight caster. Even the 3 levels lost for Mystic Theurge amounts to a price that's usually too high.

Actually, that was a typo. That shoulda been 2nd level spells. Woopsie.

DrWeird
2011-05-26, 07:42 AM
Actually, a prepared/prepared or spontaneous/spontaneous sounds like a great, if complicated, idea. If I were you, I'd jump on it; I'm already getting ideas.