PDA

View Full Version : Pie top 5s in the Playground

Craftworld
2011-05-25, 09:23 PM
Hello Playgrounders!
This thread is to find out what the top 5 pies/pie flavors are in the Playground. You don't need to have 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc... just put your top five down and I will keep a running tally to see what the top 5 pies are in the Playground.
Mine are
Strawberry Rhubarb
Blueberry Pie
French Silk
Pecan Pie
Cherry Pie

MoonCat
2011-05-25, 09:48 PM
Pumpkin Pie
Apple Pie
Pecan Pie
Can't think of any others I like much.

Zaydos
2011-05-25, 09:49 PM
Pumpkin Pie
Strawberry Pie
Cherry Pie
Shepherd's Pie
Apple Pie

Mando Knight
2011-05-25, 09:50 PM
5. Pumpkin
4. Chocolate
3. Apple
2. Cheesecake
1. Pinkamena Diane :smalltongue:

THAC0
2011-05-25, 09:51 PM
Pumpkin
Strawberry Rhubarb
Apple
Chocolate/French silk
Peanut butter

Blisstake
2011-05-25, 09:52 PM
1. Apple Pie
2. Cherry Pie
3. Any other fruit pie

That's it for me. I can't stand pumpkin pie.

Innis Cabal
2011-05-25, 09:52 PM
1. Rhubarb
2. Rhubarb
3. Rhubarb
4. Rhubarb
5. Rhubarb

DraPrime
2011-05-25, 09:55 PM
Pumpkin and apple. All other flavors bow down in irrelevance to these two, especially the pumpkin, to which even apple kneels.

Blue Bandit
2011-05-25, 10:05 PM
Pumpkin
chocolate
coconut
apple
key lime

Orzel
2011-05-25, 10:07 PM
Apple
Sweet potato
Calzone
Empanada
Grenadian patty

Can't miss a pie based topic.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-05-25, 10:09 PM
Pecan
Lemon Meringue
Pumpkin
Chocolate
Key Lime

And for non-dessert pies, I love chicken pot pie and shepard's pie.

arguskos
2011-05-25, 10:10 PM
1. Rhubarb
2. Rhubarb
3. Rhubarb
4. Rhubarb
5. Rhubarb
YOU ARE DEAD TO ME! DEAD TO MEEEEEEE!!!

Also, I like the following:
1. French Silk
2. Pecan
3. Cheesecake (not technically a pie nor a cake but I'm including it anyways)
4. Shepherd's Pie (but only when made from scratch)
5. Key Lime

wxdruid
2011-05-25, 10:10 PM
My favorites

Chocolate Mousse Pie
Chocolate Cheesecake (counts as pie to me, it's round...)
Chocolate pudding/banana pie
Apple Pie
Pumpkin Pie

Serpentine
2011-05-25, 10:28 PM
What's French silk?

Of the ones I've had...
1. Lamb and mint - only had it once, but it tasted exactly like a roast dinner.
2. Beef and burgandy, maybe, or beef, cheese and bacon.
3. Creme brulee tart
4. This pumpkin pie I had once that even the Americans thought was the best ever.
5. Mixed berry. Hypothetical: mixed berry and custard.

rayne_dragon
2011-05-25, 10:29 PM
I'm going to not include cheesecake as a type of pie, because it isn't. Plus it would mean listing off about 20 kinds of cheesecake before I get to pie. :smalltongue:

1. Pumpkin
2. Apple (for me pie is the one thing where apples are better than berries - must be a weird cultural thing influencing me for once)
3. Blueberry or Mixed Berry
4. Cherry
5. Lemon Meringue

I also like Sheperd's Pie and Chicken/Turkey Pot Pie, but I don't consider them real pies either.

Xyk
2011-05-25, 11:08 PM
1. Chocolate Silk
2. Pumpkin
3. Apple-cinnamon
4. Blueberry-Blackberry
5. Chicken Pot

I am a pie man. I will gladly eat any pie except for cherry (because of a slight allergy) which I will eat less gladly.

Innis Cabal
2011-05-25, 11:10 PM
YOU ARE DEAD TO ME! DEAD TO MEEEEEEE!!!

Also, I like the following:
1. French Silk
2. Pecan
4. Shepherd's Pie (but only when made from scratch)
5. Key Lime

I literally shot soda out my nose. Thank you very much.

Those are also very good pies. I'd say my bottom five :smalltongue: At least you didn't put on pumpkin on your list.

arguskos
2011-05-25, 11:13 PM
I literally shot soda out my nose. Thank you very much.
My job here is done. :smallcool:

Those are also very good pies. I'd say my bottom five :smalltongue: At least you didn't put on pumpkin on your list.
Pumpkin pie isn't a real food, it's a war crime. :smallsigh:

Serpentine
2011-05-25, 11:16 PM
Pumpkin pie isn't a real food, it's a war crime. :smallsigh:I've heard that you Yanks make it with some sort of tinned attrocity. Is that right, or is it just some filthy slander?

Innis Cabal
2011-05-25, 11:18 PM
And those who bake it should be tried in The Hague!

Xyk
2011-05-25, 11:19 PM
I've heard that you Yanks make it with some sort of tinned attrocity. Is that right, or is it just some filthy slander?

Pumpkins are a hassle to cook unless they're canned. It's tasty anyways.

arguskos
2011-05-25, 11:19 PM
And those who bake it should be tried in The Hague!
Indeed. There aren't strong enough laws to restrict pumpkin pie. :smallannoyed:

ZombyWoof
2011-05-25, 11:20 PM
1) Apple Pie
2) Pumpkin Pie
3) Key Lime Pie
4) XBerry Pie (where X is not Blue)
5) Ham and Cheese Quiche

The common thread here is: Tart and savory. I hate sweet pies :smallyuk:

AsteriskAmp
2011-05-25, 11:21 PM
1) Lemmon Pie
2) Lemmon Pie
3) Lemmon Pie
4) Lemmon Pie
5) Lemmon Pie

Ajadea
Lemon Meringue
Apple
Chicken Pot Pie
French Silk
Pumpkin

Agamid
1. Apricot
2. Peach
3. Apple and Rhubarb
4. Spinach and Ricotta
5. Pumpkin (savoury)

Serpentine
2011-05-25, 11:23 PM
Pumpkins are a hassle to cook unless they're canned. It's tasty anyways.Ew :smallyuk:
The one I tried was made with fresh (REAL!) pumpkin, and, as I said, even the Americans in the group said it was the best they'd ever day.

Noone's told me what "French silk" is yet.

arguskos
2011-05-25, 11:24 PM
It's a kind of chocolate pie, basically. The Internet easily provides recipes.

Zaydos
2011-05-25, 11:26 PM
I've heard that you Yanks make it with some sort of tinned attrocity. Is that right, or is it just some filthy slander?

Too often.

Ew :smallyuk:
The one I tried was made with fresh (REAL!) pumpkin, and, as I said, even the Americans in the group said it was the best they'd ever day.

My great-aunt used to give us pumpkins for pumpkin pies. Back when I was having fresh pumpkin pie my list would have been just pumpkin pie. My list of favorite cakes would have also been dominated by pumpkin pie.

Innis Cabal
2011-05-25, 11:32 PM
Ew :smallyuk:

I hate real pumpkin pie more than I hate the artificial goop.

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-25, 11:40 PM
Pumpkin can be canned? Yuk!

And they are not hard to work with if you know how to use a knife. I can skin and slice a pumpkin, it's messy but not difficult.

1. Meat
2. Chicken
3. Lamp and mint gravy
4. Potato and meat
5. Apple

Serpentine
2011-05-25, 11:44 PM
Pumpkin can be canned? Yuk!Inorite?!
Big knife for chopping, little knife for skinning. Easy-peasy.

Bhu
2011-05-25, 11:45 PM
lemon
key lime
cherry
shepherds
meat

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-25, 11:45 PM
And a spoon to scoop out the seeds.

Serpentine
2011-05-25, 11:47 PM
Eh. Chop it into fairly small pieces before you skin and seed it, and you can just use the knife :smallwink:

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-25, 11:49 PM
Yeah, it's easier to skin it when it's in small pieces. I used to cut down a HUGE pumpkin (the blue kind from Queensland) for soup. And I like the spoon as it's curved and I can scoop the seds out like ice cream.

Also, I had to help kids make jack o'lanterns once, using queensland blue pumpkins.

Zaydos
2011-05-26, 12:21 AM
The problem my mom's had with making fresh pumpkin pie is getting fresh pie pumpkins (they are a different variety than those used for jack o'lanterns normally). Then again we haven't had a jack o'lantern in almost a decade.

Serpentine
2011-05-26, 12:25 AM
I'd imagine butternuts would be reasonably good for pumpkin pie.

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-26, 12:28 AM
It's more seen as a kind of squash over there, serps.

Serpentine
2011-05-26, 12:31 AM
But... squash are disgusting :smallconfused:

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-26, 12:34 AM
I know, but apparently Australians use the term "pumpkin" for what they call "squashes" in the US, even the Queensland blue which is oh so familiar.

Serpentine
2011-05-26, 12:35 AM
So... what do Americans call pumpkins, then? :smallconfused:

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-26, 12:37 AM
Pumpkins, but they're more like the halloween pumpkin that we see only on the telly. Big and orange.

Serpentine
2011-05-26, 12:42 AM
Well. Then... clearly they need to use tastier, proper pumpkins for their pumpkin pies, don't they :smalltongue:

golentan
2011-05-26, 12:49 AM
Chocolate Mousse
Strawberry
Pumpkin
Cherry
Shepherd's

Edit: Yeah, serp... Pumpkins here are a definite subset of squashes. Though you never want to use a Jack-o-lantern pumpkin for pumpkin pie. I use Sugar Pumpkins (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071103205639AAFAitD)when I produce the marvelous things (and yes I do make pumpkin pie from scratch, it's good even just as a pumpkin custard).

Dexam
2011-05-26, 12:53 AM
1. Pinkamena Diane :smalltongue:

First thing that popped into my mind, too. :smallsmile:

Second thing was: Nanny Ogg's Carrot and Oyster Pie ("Carrots so you can see in the dark, oysters so you've got something to look at.") :smallwink:

I'd imagine butternuts would be reasonably good for pumpkin pie.

Butternuts work very well in cheesecake. *omnomnomnom*

But... squash are disgusting :smallconfused:

Horrible lies and slander! :smalltongue: You probably just haven't had them cooked correctly. Most people tend to over-cook them, and you end up with a goopy, watery, mess of a squash.

Knaight
2011-05-26, 01:02 AM
Rhubarb
Mixed Berry (Blackberry, Blueberry, Strawberry)
Chocolate Mascarpone
Meat (But not blood)
Shepherds

Key Lime gets an honorable mention, as does Peach. The presence of Apple instantly disqualifies any pie from having any quality whatsoever. Apple should not be a pie flavor. Actually, scratch that, Apple should not be a flavor.

Xyk
2011-05-26, 01:04 AM
Cultural differences! These are the pumpkins that one makes pumpkin pies with:
http://www.aftonapple.com/pumpkins.jpg

Squash are blander and are used in savory cooking. Zucchini squash are common here, and my mom even put them into spaghetti sauce to get vegetable nutrition into stubborn children. They are quite different, if in the same family, from pumpkins.

Ravens_cry
2011-05-26, 01:13 AM
Wild Lowbush Blueberry,
Pumpkin,
Mincemeat,
Apple,
Chicken Pot Pie.

It's been over a decade since I had number one. I, in fact, only had number one once, but it is still remembered with great fondness. And it has to be tiny, bb pellet sized low bush berries, not those water swollen marbles they sell commercially, you got to pick them yourself, poking through the moss on a summers day in the forests of Prince George, BC, Canada.
Oh, and make a lot of noise so they bears, who are as hungry for berries as you, don't decide you would make better eating.

Nibleswick
2011-05-26, 01:14 AM
@^^Unless they are a gourd type of squash then around these parts we eat them the same same as a sweet potato.

In no particular order.

Blackberry
Lemon cream
Pecan
Rhubarb (must be fresh home made, the other kind it just nasty)
Apple or maybe Peach though I won't say no to Pumpkin either.

@^They were probably what we call huckleberries down here.

Zaydos
2011-05-26, 01:16 AM
Well. Then... clearly they need to use tastier, proper pumpkins for their pumpkin pies, don't they :smalltongue:

There are breeds of the big orange ones grown for their taste in pies. Then there are the ones used for jack o'lanterns.

The former is tasty. The latter... never tried it, I think it's supposed to be pretty bad.

Also pumpkin is technically a squash, but it tastes much better than other squashes.

golentan
2011-05-26, 01:18 AM
Did you know that the scent of pumpkin pie can actually serve as an aphrodisiac? 'Strue. May be why it's showing up on so many of these lists, even if it's not a conscious recognition.

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-26, 01:19 AM
Raven, do you mean mince meat as in meat? As in meat that has been minced? Or do you mean fruit mince?

It's a little confusing, and I had to explain the difference to my grandmother when I was shopping with her one christmas. After giving up on semantics, I explained that meat pies would not be left out of the fridge compartment in the bakery section.

THAC0
2011-05-26, 01:20 AM
Wild Lowbush Blueberry,
Pumpkin,
Mincemeat,
Apple,
Chicken Pot Pie.

It's been over a decade since I had number one. I, in fact, only had number one once, but it is still remembered with great fondness. And it has to be tiny, bb pellet sized low bush berries, not those water swollen marbles they sell commercially, you got to pick them yourself, poking through the moss on a summers day in the forests of Prince George, BC, Canada.
Oh, and make a lot of noise so they bears, who are as hungry for berries as you, don't decide you would make better eating.

I've got a giant bag in my freezer right now!

...Actually, I need to go buy a piecrust so I can do that before we move in like, two days.

Ravens_cry
2011-05-26, 01:32 AM
Raven, do you mean mince meat as in meat? As in meat that has been minced? Or do you mean fruit mince?

It's a little confusing, and I had to explain the difference to my grandmother when I was shopping with her one christmas. After giving up on semantics, I explained that meat pies would not be left out of the fridge compartment in the bakery section.
I mean mincemeat as in mincemeat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mincemeat). Which, in modern times at least, rarely contains meat or even suet.

ZombyWoof
2011-05-26, 01:35 AM

There's a great scene in a great movie about a guy on a submarine who goes into surgery that involves canned pumpkin.

All I remember is he was promised pumpkin pie if he came out of surgery and when it turned out he would be ok the cook grabbed a can marked "pumpkin."

Remmirath
2011-05-26, 02:00 AM
Chocolate Cream
Chocolate Mousse
Key Lime
Apple

... I guess I really don't have five, unless cheesecake and/or quiche count - but those would be more like seperate categories, I think.

KuReshtin
2011-05-26, 03:47 AM
1. Rhubarb
2. Rhubarb
3. Rhubarb
4. Rhubarb
5. Rhubarb

Hi. My name is KuReshtin, and I approve of this message.

Kislath
2011-05-26, 03:47 AM
Lemon
peach
pumpkin
banana cream
pecan

Lonely Tylenol
2011-05-26, 03:56 AM

And they are not hard to work with if you know how to use a knife. I can skin and slice a pumpkin, it's messy but not difficult.

1. Meat
2. Chicken
3. Lamp and mint gravy
4. Potato and meat
5. Apple

This man is a real 'Murr'cn. Put four meat pies on the top five and everything.

Tasmania, Australia

Wut

Okay, enough horsing around. :smallamused:

1) Blueberry
2) Apple
3) Pecan
4) Banana cream
5) Chicken pot
78) Cow
79) Pumpkin

Color me among those that abhor pumpkin pie with a passion. My father's always made a pumpkin pie that I am told by everyone else is absolutely delectable (as it should be - he is, after all, a chef), but I have always, always hated it (on the other hand, his pecan pies? Gorgeous).

Serpentine
2011-05-26, 05:17 AM
This man is a real 'Murr'cn. Put four meat pies on the top five and everything.:confused:
I've met many Americans who weren't even aware that pies come in meat form outside of pot pies, and many, many more who find the idea weird or at least say it's very rare over there.
Meat pies are far, far more 'Strayan than 'Murr'cn :smallconfused:

1. Rhubarb
2. Rhubarb
3. Rhubarb
4. Rhubarb
5. RhubarbWhat're you muttering about? :smallannoyed:

Morph Bark
2011-05-26, 05:18 AM

What constitutes a pie or a cake anyway? :smallconfused:

I'd like to know the difference since in my country they have different meanings.

Lonely Tylenol
2011-05-26, 06:09 AM
:confused:
I've met many Americans who weren't even aware that pies come in meat form outside of pot pies, and many, many more who find the idea weird or at least say it's very rare over there.
Meat pies are far, far more 'Strayan than 'Murr'cn :smallconfused:

I must have more of a jaded view on the 'Murr'cn diet than I thought, then, because I figure any culture that will put bacon in a sundae (http://dennys.com/#/love/Baconalia_Home) will gladly put four meat-based pies on its top five (regardless of actual knowledge of how pies work).

:smallwink:

EDIT:

Now that I'm thinking about it, move "bacon pie" to #3 on my list.

It's something I plan on experimenting with.

Serpentine
2011-05-26, 07:30 AM
Put it this way: there is a shop in my town (as there is in many others) that only sells pies, the vast majority of them being meat pies (there's a couple of fruit and other ones, but not many).

And yes, a few of them contain bacon.

ThePhantasm
2011-05-26, 07:32 AM
Apple
Sweet Potatoe
Pecan
Blueberry

Lonely Tylenol
2011-05-26, 08:10 AM
Put it this way: there is a shop in my town (as there is in many others) that only sells pies, the vast majority of them being meat pies (there's a couple of fruit and other ones, but not many).

And yes, a few of them contain bacon.

Are they delicious?

I've had a number of meat pies, but never a bacon one.

Serpentine
2011-05-26, 08:13 AM
Let us have another look at my list...
Of the ones I've had...
1. Lamb and mint - only had it once, but it tasted exactly like a roast dinner.
2. Beef and burgandy, maybe, or beef, cheese and bacon.
3. Creme brulee tart
4. This pumpkin pie I had once that even the Americans thought was the best ever.
5. Mixed berry. Hypothetical: mixed berry and custard.Second on my list says yes :smallwink:

Asta Kask
2011-05-26, 08:20 AM
Are there no kangaroo pies? Skippy is delicious.

Serpentine
2011-05-26, 08:21 AM
Haven't seen any. Maybe I should try making one... Minced meat or cubed steak?

Asta Kask
2011-05-26, 09:50 AM
I had steak when I was in Australia. Yummy.

Serpentine
2011-05-26, 09:51 AM
...you don't get steak elsewhere? :smallconfused:
Or do you mean 'roo steak :smalltongue:

Asta Kask
2011-05-26, 09:52 AM
'roo steak. You should domesticate them and breed them and export them. I think there's a restaurant in Gothenburg that does kangaroo steak but I'm not certain.

If you come to Sweden I'll see if I can get you elk. Or boar.

Tirian
2011-05-26, 10:21 AM
Are they delicious?

What, do you think that bacon is one of those things that is the opposite in the Southern Hemisphere? Of course they would be delicious.

I'm suspicious that Americans don't know about meat pies. Putting meat in dough and baking it is one of the universal foods, and probably most people in the world don't appreciate that everyone else in the world is doing their own variations of the same thing. The Italians eat calzones, the French eat quiche, they eat pasties in the U.K., empanadas in Latin America, and so on and so on.

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-05-26, 10:35 AM
Here are my top 5 pies!

1. French Silk
2. Blueberry
3. Apple
4. Strawberry-Rhubarb
5. Pumpkin

Now I'm hungry...

golentan
2011-05-26, 10:45 AM
What, do you think that bacon is one of those things that is the opposite in the Southern Hemisphere? Of course they would be delicious.

I'm suspicious that Americans don't know about meat pies. Putting meat in dough and baking it is one of the universal foods, and probably most people in the world don't appreciate that everyone else in the world is doing their own variations of the same thing. The Italians eat calzones, the French eat quiche, they eat pasties in the U.K., empanadas in Latin America, and so on and so on.

No. At least here where I am, we definitely know meat pies. In fact, I made a lamb pie just a couple days back. Pot pies in turkey or beef or chicken seem pretty common with my experience up here. I just prefer fruit pies and vegetable pies for the most part, personally.

grimbold
2011-05-26, 12:01 PM
1. Apple
2. Cherry
3. Pecan
4. Strawberry
5. Pudding

factotum
2011-05-26, 03:53 PM
1. Steak and kidney pudding (it's near enough to a pie for me :smalltongue:).
2. Chicken and bacon pie
3. Banoffee tart
4. Lemon meringue pie
5. Cornish pasty (*proper* one, none of this Ginsters garbage)

The_Final_Stand
2011-05-26, 03:57 PM
5. Apple pie.
4. Cherry pie
3. Apple and Cherry pie
2. Banoffee pie
1. Mathematical constant pi.:smalltongue:

Mando Knight
2011-05-26, 06:09 PM
...you don't get steak elsewhere? :smallconfused:
Or do you mean 'roo steak :smalltongue:

Didn't realize people eat 'roo. Guess that's another thing to put down in the culinary section of my bucket list.

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-26, 06:17 PM
Like a lot of game, it can be tough. If it's "like" anything, it's like lamb.

Mauve Shirt
2011-05-26, 06:19 PM
Pecan
Pumpkin
Apple
Coconut Cream
Key Lime

Lonely Tylenol
2011-05-26, 06:36 PM
Let us have another look at my list...Second on my list says yes :smallwink:

Splendid! I must try this!

Well, I remain skeptical of the "bacon goes good in everything" philosophy, mostly because people have been suggesting putting bacon in things that are traditionally soft or sweet on the palate (such as pies, or dessert foods such as sundaes), and I am of the mind that bacon isn't really bacon unless it's crispy and crunchy. (Crunchy in soft foods never went well for me.) Also, bacon has a distinct flavor that doesn't necessarily go well with a lot of things.

I've always loved calzones and empanadas, and even the "traditional" meat pies, but I grew up in a household where foods of all kinds were celebrated. Not everybody grows up around a big culinary background.

Trazoi
2011-05-26, 06:55 PM
Blackberry
Cheese and Corn/Asparagus/Cauliflower (whatever combination)
Curried Lentil
Apple (with or without other fruit)
Pecan

If cheesecake or pasties are allowed though, I'll have to change the list. :smallwink:

Craftworld
2011-05-26, 07:23 PM
Current Top 5 Playground Pies
Apple Pie with 24 votes
Pumpkin Pie with 19 votes
Pecan Pie with 11 votes
TIECherry, Chocolate (and variants), and Lemon (and variants) with 8 votes
TIEBlueberry, French Silk, and Key Lime with 7 votes
Total Current Pie Roster
Strawberry Rhubarb 3
Blueberry 7
French Silk 7
Pecan Pie 11
Cherry 8
Pumpkin Pie 19
Apple Pie 24
Shepard's Pie 5
Strawberry Pie 3
Chocolate/Chocolate Mousse/Chocolate Mascarpone/Chocolate Cream 8
Cheesecake 3
Pinkamena Diane 1(?)
Peanut Butter 1
Rhubarb 3
Coconut/Coconut Cream 2
Key Lime 7
Sweet Potato 2
Calzone 1
Empanada 1
Grenadian Patty 1
Lemon Meringue/Lemon Creme/Lemon 8
Banana/Banana Cream 3
Lamb and Mint 2
Beef and Burgandy 1
Creme Brulee Tart 1
Mixed Berry 4
Blackberry 3
Chicken Pot Pie 5
Ham and Cheese Quiche 1
Apricot 1
Peach 2
Apple Rhubarb 1
Spinach and Ricotta 1
Meat(generic) 4
Potato and Meat 1
Steak and Kidney Pudding/Pudding 2
Chicken and Bacon 1
Banoffee Tart 2
Cornish Pastry 1
PI!!! 1
Apple and Cherry Pie 1
Cheese and Corn/Asparagus/Cauliflower 1
Curried Lentil 1
There are a lot of pies...and I think that it is cool about how much pie talk has been going on.

Ravens_cry
2011-05-26, 09:36 PM
5. Apple pie.
4. Cherry pie
3. Apple and Cherry pie
2. Banoffee pie
1. Mathematical constant pi.:smalltongue:

Now you're just being irrational.:smallbiggrin:

Innis Cabal
2011-05-26, 09:54 PM
:confused:

It is indeed very rare to see a meat pie outside of chicken pot pie in America, rarer still to meet an American who likes it at least if my travels over the lower 48 are any indication.

What're you muttering about? :smallannoyed:

Rhubarb is one of the best pie fillings ever. Clean our your ears :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2011-05-26, 10:51 PM
1. Steak and kidney pudding (it's near enough to a pie for me :smalltongue:).Maybe you should try a steak and kidney pie... That's my sister's favourite, incidentally.
Didn't realize people eat 'roo. Guess that's another thing to put down in the culinary section of my bucket list.It's pretty delicious P: And kangaroo mince is the best I've ever had.
Rhubarb is one of the best pie fillings ever. Clean our your ears :smalltongue:What? Speak up! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AudienceMurmurs)

arguskos
2011-05-26, 10:54 PM
Rhubarb is one of the best pie fillings ever. Clean our your ears :smalltongue:
Rhubarb is a food, I guess, but only technically. :smalltongue:

Innis Cabal
2011-05-26, 11:06 PM
Maybe you should try a steak and kidney pie... That's my sister's favourite, incidentally.It's pretty delicious P: And kangaroo mince is the best I've ever had.What? Speak up! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AudienceMurmurs)

RIOT!!

Rhubarb is a food, I guess, but only technically. :smalltongue:

I eat it raw.

arguskos
2011-05-26, 11:09 PM
I eat it raw.
You're a person, I guess, but only technically. :smalltongue: <3<3<3

Innis Cabal
2011-05-26, 11:10 PM
You're a person, I guess, but only technically. :smalltongue:

Pish posh, humanity is over rated. Look whose in it?<3<3<3

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-05-26, 11:11 PM
I eat it raw.
You, sir, are braver than I! :smalleek:

arguskos
2011-05-26, 11:19 PM
Pish posh, humanity is over rated. Look whose in it?
*looks at his nation's populace* ...got me on that one. :smallsigh:

In other news, meat pies aren't bad, especially the empanada and calzone varieties.

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-26, 11:20 PM
Calzone pie? Is that in English?

Innis Cabal
2011-05-26, 11:21 PM
A Calzone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calzone). They are in fact, quite tasty

arguskos
2011-05-26, 11:21 PM
Calzone pie? Is that in English?
...?

A calzone is just a variation on a meat pie, as someone else in the thread mentioned.

Innis, I was under the impression that a calzone was a pie variant in all but name?

Innis Cabal
2011-05-26, 11:24 PM
...?

A calzone is just a variation on a meat pie, as someone else in the thread mentioned.

Innis, I was under the impression that a calzone was a pie variant in all but name?

It's a hazy line really. I always classified them and Empanada's as Pasties. Then again, they to could be considered as "pies" and my culinary school never even mentioned them because they were "Base" foods. So...take it as you will. I just call them delicious.

arguskos
2011-05-26, 11:25 PM
It's a hazy line really. I always classified them and Empanada's as Pasties. Then again, they to could be considered as "pies" and my culinary school never even mentioned them because they were "Base" foods. So...take it as you will. I just call them delicious.
Agreed, on all counts.

Also, I'm like super-hungry now.

Serpentine
2011-05-26, 11:28 PM
That's not a pie. This
http://aphs.worldnomads.com/leah/13544/meatpie.jpg is a pie! [/Crocodile Dundee]

Innis Cabal
2011-05-26, 11:30 PM
Would you call a pasty a pie?

Serpentine
2011-05-26, 11:34 PM
No, I'd call it a pastie :smalltongue:

I grant that they're probably technically at least of the same class, but it's not what I'd call a pie. I mean, I go to the bakery, and there I have a choice: pie, or pastie. Not pastie-pie.

edit: And on that note, what's with this business of calling pizzas pizza-pie? :smallconfused: A pizza pie is a meat pie with cheese, bacon, tomato and maybe some other stuff or something like that. Not a pizza.

Innis Cabal
2011-05-26, 11:36 PM
You and your silly spelling :smalltongue:

I would call a calzone a pasty to be quite honest.

Serpentine
2011-05-26, 11:38 PM
It looks like a big, fancy pastie.

Nibleswick
2011-05-26, 11:56 PM
Now that I'm thinking about pies, one that I haven't had in a while is Apple and Cheese pie. It's pretty dang tasty.

Innis Cabal
2011-05-27, 12:02 AM
It looks like a big, fancy pastie.

The main reason it's not a pasty is because a pasty is only able to be called as such when it has beef, potato's, onions and swede diced coarsely with a peppery seasoning. Otherwise, what ever you make without those included may very well be the same exact thing as a pasty...but it cannot be called a pasty. They also have to be made in Cornwall. Otherwise...they're just "pasties"

Dr.Epic
2011-05-27, 12:03 AM
Um...

1) Pumpkin
2) Pumpkin again
3) Apple
4) Lime
5) Pumpkin...?

(I haven't tried that many pies.)

Elder Tsofu
2011-05-27, 12:23 AM
Hm, pies.... Mmmmmm...

Rhubarb
Rhubarb and sweet Apples
Rhubarb
Apple
Blueberry

Innis Cabal, I'm glad to see that others also eat their rhubarb raw. ^^

Trazoi
2011-05-27, 12:26 AM
The main reason it's not a pasty is because a pasty is only able to be called as such when it has beef, potato's, onions and swede diced coarsely with a peppery seasoning. Otherwise, what ever you make without those included may very well be the same exact thing as a pasty...but it cannot be called a pasty. They also have to be made in Cornwall. Otherwise...they're just "pasties"
Does the vegetarian version still count as a Cornish pasty? 'Cause I still call them pasties, as do bakeries where I've bought them. (Including ones in Cornwall. :smallwink:)

Innis Cabal
2011-05-27, 12:27 AM
Innis Cabal, I'm glad to see that others also eat their rhubarb raw. ^^

I like it with a little salt. Where I grew up actually had a rhubarb patch so we got it fresh every spring and summer. Since I moved out west I've not had any because it's honestly crap by the time it gets here. The citrus fruits out here on the other hand? Best Lemon pies I've ever had. I also eat lemons and limes raw so it's merely been a switch from one tart tasty to another.

Does the vegetarian version still count as a Cornish pasty? 'Cause I still call them pasties, as do bakeries where I've bought them. (Including ones in Cornwall. :smallwink:)

You can certainly still call them pasties, but the actual Pasty (as in what you probably well know) is protected under Protected Geographical Status meaning that even if you -call- it a pasty but it's just because you call it that. It's not -actually- a pasty because of the PGS. Blame the EU, not me :smallredface: I think it's horribly silly.

Trazoi
2011-05-27, 12:42 AM
You can certainly still call them pasties, but the actual Pasty (as in what you probably well know) is protected under Protected Geographical Status meaning that even if you -call- it a pasty but it's just because you call it that. It's not -actually- a pasty because of the PGS. Blame the EU, not me :smallredface: I think it's horribly silly.
Bah! The European Commission has no power over me! I can buy my pasties along with my Camembert and champagne from local Australian sources and call them whatever I want! :smalltongue:

Innis Cabal
2011-05-27, 12:45 AM
Bah! The European Commission has no power over me! I can buy my pasties along with my Camembert and champagne from local Australian sources and call them whatever I want! :smalltongue:

Actually, anyone who didn't sign the Treaty of Versailles can make Champagne as the laws for it were included in the Treaty itself. The more you know! Which means the United States can actually make the stuff not just in name but in accordance to the law.

I also agree with you, I think while it's a noble idea to protect a foods cultural and historical relevance to a location it's less then noble to somehow confine food into narrow categories enforced by law.

factotum
2011-05-27, 01:22 AM
Maybe you should try a steak and kidney pie...

I've eaten plenty of steak and kidney pies, I just don't like them as much as the top 5 I chose. Thing is, the filling in a steak and kidney pudding kind of merges with the "crust" in a way that I find exceptionally delightful!

Leon
2011-05-27, 02:15 AM
1. Pork
2. Curry
3. Cheese and Bacon
4. Apple
5. Pumpkin (Fresh is the only way)

Serpentine
2011-05-27, 03:38 AM
I've eaten plenty of steak and kidney pies, I just don't like them as much as the top 5 I chose. Thing is, the filling in a steak and kidney pudding kind of merges with the "crust" in a way that I find exceptionally delightful!Aha! Well, alright then. As long as you've tried it, you're allowed to have an opinion on it.

thubby
2011-05-27, 03:53 AM
in no particular order:
pumpkin
cherry
blueberry
apple
grasshopper

Asta Kask
2011-05-27, 05:03 AM
'Calzone' means men's underwear. I do not eat underwear.

factotum
2011-05-27, 06:34 AM
Just noticed the calzone discussion--I think a calzone is more like a pizza folded in half and the edges sealed than a pasty of any kind. The outside is bread, not pastry, and the filling usually includes cheese and tomato.

Stadge
2011-05-27, 05:15 PM
I'm unfamiliar with all these sweet pies so mine would be:

1. Steak and ale
2. Steak and kidney
3. Meat and potato
4. Chicken
5. Cheese

Preferably on a buttered barm.

grimbold
2011-05-27, 06:31 PM
Pish posh, humanity is over rated. Look whose in it?<3<3<3

this is the greatest thing ever
in fact it is so great that it is magical in its greatness and it has elevated Innis Cabal to the status of Great Lord and Commander of the Playground

Lateral
2011-05-27, 09:18 PM
In no particular order, I suppose:

Apple Pie
Pecan Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Spinach Pie
Chocolate Pie

Zocelot
2011-05-27, 09:42 PM
1. Cherry (preferably sour)
2. Mixed Berries
3. Strawberry Rhubarb
4. Pumpkin
5. Blueberry

In terms of what qualifies as a pie, I'd say it has got to be at least 6" diameter and have three layers: crust, filling, more crust. It also has to be circular. So no, pumpkin pie doesn't really count and yes, I am a pie elitist.

Lateral
2011-05-27, 10:01 PM
Tarts can qualify as pies, and vice versa. Really, it depends on context and it doesn't really matter that much. You don't call it a pumpkin tart, therefore it's a pie.

Innis Cabal
2011-05-28, 12:56 AM
Just noticed the calzone discussion--I think a calzone is more like a pizza folded in half and the edges sealed than a pasty of any kind. The outside is bread, not pastry, and the filling usually includes cheese and tomato.

Calzone's are normally made with a more pastry dough and not a pizza dough. Though quite honestly a good pizza dough should be less of a "bread" and more of a pastry anyway. I myself use the same dough for both.

in fact it is so great that it is magical in its greatness and it has elevated Innis Cabal to the status of Great Lord and Commander of the Playground

Well, I'm flattered I suppose. If you'd like to start the campaign I'll watch regally from my chair made of skulls and fire.

Serpentine
2011-05-28, 01:07 AM
in fact it is so great that it is magical in its greatness and it has elevated Innis Cabal to the status of Great Lord and Commander of the PlaygroundOh lord. There goes the neighbourhood.
In terms of what qualifies as a pie, I'd say it has got to be at least 6" diameter and have three layers: crust, filling, more crust. It also has to be circular. So no, pumpkin pie doesn't really count and yes, I am a pie elitist.Nonsense. Little pies are still pies - even party pies, at about 2" diameter are well and truly pies. And, although they're rarer and I'm fond of circles myself, there's nothing wrong with square pies. What else would you call this? :smallconfused:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d5/Vegan_Meat_Pie_01_Pengo.jpg/220px-Vegan_Meat_Pie_01_Pengo.jpg

Pie floater (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pie_floater), anyone?

Innis Cabal
2011-05-28, 01:15 AM
Oh lord. There goes the neighborhood.

No helping it, you can't fight madness. You wanna be Queen?

Serpentine
2011-05-28, 01:18 AM
But... I thought you were the Queen :smallconfused:
I hang out in the LGBT thread, I'm allowed to make gay jokes :P

Innis Cabal
2011-05-28, 01:24 AM

And Zing! But no seriously, I'm not quite that far on the spectrum. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StraightGay) :smalltongue:

factotum
2011-05-28, 02:36 AM
Pie floater (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pie_floater), anyone?

Never had one, although I have had a meal consisting of a pie with mushy peas and nothing else, which is pretty awesome...

ImaginaryGirl
2011-05-28, 02:46 AM
Absolute top for me is homemade sour cherry. It's nothing at all like store-bought, believe you me. Those are atrocities and barely taste like cherry. These...well, we get the fruit from our own trees and render them down on the stove to concentrate the sour cherry flavor. It's godly.

Hmm. I would say key lime comes in second, followed by pumpkin and rhubarb...not sure about the last one. I have an excellent cranberry pecan pie recipe, though, so I suppose I'd opt for that.

Craftworld
2011-05-28, 08:31 AM
Current Top 5 Pies in the Playground
Apple Pie with 29 votes
Pumpkin Pie with 24 votes
Pecan Pie with 12 votes
TIEBlueberry and Cherry with 10 votes each
Chocolate and variants with 9 votes
Total Pie Roster and vote count
Strawberry Rhubarb 4
Blueberry 10
French Silk 7
Pecan Pie 12
Cherry 10
Pumpkin Pie 24
Apple Pie 29
Shepard's Pie 5
Strawberry Pie 3
Chocolate/Chocolate Mousse/Chocolate Mascarpone/Chocolate Cream 9
Cheesecake 3
Pinkamena Diane 1(?)
Peanut Butter 1
Rhubarb 4
Coconut/Coconut Cream 2
Key Lime 8
Sweet Potato 2
Calzone 1
Empanada 1
Grenadian Patty 1
Lemon Meringue/Lemon Creme/Lemon 8
Banana/Banana Cream 3
Lamb and Mint 2
Beef and Burgandy 1
Creme Brulee Tart 1
Mixed Berry 5
Blackberry 3
Chicken Pot Pie 6
Ham and Cheese Quiche 1
Apricot 1
Peach 2
Apple Rhubarb 2
Spinach and Ricotta/Spinach 2
Meat(generic) 4
Potato and Meat 2
Steak and Kidney Pudding/Pudding 2
Chicken and Bacon 1
Banoffee Tart 2
Cornish Pastry 1
PI!!! 1
Apple and Cherry Pie 1
Cheese and Corn/Asparagus/Cauliflower 1
Curried Lentil 2
Pork 1
Cheese and Bacon 1
Grasshopper 1
Steak and Ale 1
Steak and Kidney 1
Cheese 1
Keep voting for more PIES IN THE PLAYGROUND!!!!

Lateral
2011-05-28, 08:45 AM
Oh, and I'd have included Boston cream pie, but that's not really "pie," per se.

grimbold
2011-05-28, 04:53 PM

if he is the queen then i have to be the Daisy Princess
(i have been the daisy princess for a while now at my fencing club XD)

Aedilred
2011-05-28, 05:58 PM
I love pretty much all pie. I find it difficult to make qualitative judgements between different fillings. If the ingredients are good quality it will probably be delicious anyway, so long as they go well together. The only exceptions are things I don't like anyway (which are few, basically fish) and mushrooms, which I like in certain contexts but don't think belong in a pie. The texture's wrong.

At my hypothetical wedding I want a wedding pie to match/replace the cake. (This used to be fairly traditional, apparently). My ex was actually quite keen on the idea, and if in a flippant mood I would explain away my refusal to attempt another relationship since by pointing out that asking, "in the event that we got married, would you allow me to serve a giant tiered pie at the reception, because if not I don't see a future in this relationship?" probably wouldn't go down too well on a first date.

One of my nicknames at university was "would you like another pie, Tom?" About a year ago I once ate four pies in a day (without setting out to do so at its start) including a three-course meal in which every course included a pie. When working on the Olympics, I used to eat pies for breakfast.

My favourite pies would probably be along the lines of:

Steak and kidney
Lemon meringue
Pork
Venison
Rhubarb

However, I will very rarely turn down the opportunity of pie regardless.

Alarra
2011-05-29, 12:23 AM
There are too many good pies, so I'm going to have to separate my lists into 'dessert-pies' and 'non-dessert-pies'

'dessert-pies'
1. Banana cream
2. cheesecake
3. pumpkin
4. key lime
5. caramel apple or strawberry rhubarb

'non-dessert-pies'
1. ham and cheese quiche
2. shepherd's pie
3. chicken-pot pie

I think that meals in pies is like the greatest thing ever and am sad that it's so rarely eaten over here.

Craftworld
2011-05-31, 07:02 PM
And the TOP 5 PIES IN THE PLAYGROUND ARE!!!!
In First with 29 votes...APPLE PIE
In Second with 25 votes...PUMPKIN PIE
In Third with 12 votes...PECAN PIE
In a Tie for Fourth with 10 votes apiece...CHERRY PIE AND BLUEBERRY PIE
In a Tie for Fifth with 9 votes apiece...CHOCOLATE PIES, KEY LIME PIE, AND LEMON PIES
Thank you for voting everyone, this was really fun.:smallbiggrin:
What should I do for the next Top 5 *Blank* in the Playground?