PDA

View Full Version : Spellwarp Sniper

j4bberw0ck
2011-05-26, 12:03 AM
I was thinking about rolling up a spellwarp sniper in a (pathfinder, prestige class was okayed and converted by the GM)game I will be playing in and I noticed that you need point blank shot as a prerequisite. This led me to assume that it can be used with a ray, I am not familiar with 3.5 rules so it may be something that was taken out of pathfinder because it is stated in the pathfinder book that it can be used with a range weapon and there is no mention of a ray. However, The weapon focus feat allows you to select ray as long as you are a caster, does this mean that within reason you can use any feat that requires a ranged weapon with a ray providing the actions were possible.

BillyBobJoe
2011-05-26, 12:07 AM
It specifically states this in many cases, as rays are "weapon-like" spells, so yes.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-26, 12:12 AM
Yup! Rays crit too!

Luckmann
2011-05-26, 07:32 AM
Unless I'm mistaken (and I may be), Rays are Ranged Touch Attacks. A Ranged Touch functions like a regular Touch, meaning that they roll for attack, can crit, backstab and so on and so on. Using a ray is like using a weapon, meaning that you have to aim and you can potentially aim well. As such, there's a bunch of feats and things that can potentially affect them, whereas most regular spells can't really just plain miss.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I may have missed or misunderstood something.

Welknair
2011-05-26, 08:29 AM
Unless I'm mistaken (and I may be), Rays are Ranged Touch Attacks. A Ranged Touch functions like a regular Touch, meaning that they roll for attack, can crit, backstab and so on and so on. Using a ray is like using a weapon, meaning that you have to aim and you can potentially aim well. As such, there's a bunch of feats and things that can potentially affect them, whereas most regular spells can't really just plain miss.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I may have missed or misunderstood something.

You are quite correct. Weapon focus (Ranged Spell) is a good choice. Actually, I've found that kinda odd. Some feats say "Ranged Spell" (As Weapon Focus) while some instead just say "Ray". Why wouldn't you want to include all weapon-like spells if that was a option?