PDA

View Full Version : Houserule idea for saving throws - we don't "save vs. stabs..."

Arbane
2011-05-26, 02:39 AM
...Well, okay, we do in True20, but most D&D/d20 variants use hitpoints to represent that character's plot-armor and skill at Not Dying.

I was thinking about Save or Suck spells the other day, and I was wondering - why not make a rule that players can use their hitpoints to boost saves? This might help alleviate the "rocket tag" aspect of high-level play a bit.

For example: Gronk Skullcleaver is hit by Finger of Death. He's got over 100 hitpoints. He needs a 25 to save, but he only rolls a 21. So he can spend 4 (That's probably way too cheap. Multiply it by something?) hitpoints to make the save, and keep trying to chop up the caster.

Would this make fighty-types too strong? Would it not change enough? It would definitely make uber-tough enemies even more of a pain to beat, as the former one-shot-kill spells just become another way to wear down HP.

Big Fau
2011-05-26, 02:45 AM
Doesn't really solve the Rocket Tag aspect, just nerfs Save or Die spells. Save or Lose spells are what make Rocket Tag happen, and then there's the "Hax Sign: You Just ******* Lose" type spells, like Solid Fog.

And Fighter types will still plow through enemies like a hot knife through butter (Charger builds can easily deal 700+ damage/round).

NNescio
2011-05-26, 02:48 AM
...Well, okay, we do in True20, but most D&D/d20 variants use hitpoints to represent that character's plot-armor and skill at Not Dying.

I was thinking about Save or Suck spells the other day, and I was wondering - why not make a rule that players can use their hitpoints to boost saves? This might help alleviate the "rocket tag" aspect of high-level play a bit.

For example: Gronk Skullcleaver is hit by Finger of Death. He's got over 100 hitpoints. He needs a 25 to save, but he only rolls a 21. So he can spend 4 (That's probably way too cheap. Multiply it by something?) hitpoints to make the save, and keep trying to chop up the caster.

Would this make fighty-types too strong? Would it not change enough? It would definitely make uber-tough enemies even more of a pain to beat, as the former one-shot-kill spells just become another way to wear down HP.

This completely nerfs save-or-die/save-or-suck spells. Tier 1~2 casters are still uber powerful though since most of them will just switch to no-save just suck or damage spells. Tier 3 fixed list casters are hit hard though, especially the Beguiler.

It also makes no sense for spells that don't force a fort save. Will saves in particular, moreso if the spell is intended to incapacitate its targets without (technically) harming them, another point in contention for the Beguiler.