PDA

View Full Version : Resources for Beguiler?

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-05-26, 05:34 AM
... Are there any? I know it's a late game class, but are there any Alternate Class Features in Dragon or elsewhere?

RMS Oceanic
2011-05-26, 09:10 AM
Not that I'm aware of, which is a shame. A common houserule in my sessions is giving the Beguiler Eclectic Learning, the Warmage ACF from PHB2 allowing them to pick up a few spells outside their dedicated schools of magic.

HunterOfJello
2011-05-26, 09:16 AM
There aren't any that I'm aware of.

You could ask your DM to let you use some of the rogue ACFs for replacing Trapfinding. Those would include Mimic from EoE and Poison Use from DoTU.

Feytalist
2011-05-26, 09:24 AM
There aren't any that I'm aware of.

You could ask your DM to let you use some of the rogue ACFs for replacing Trapfinding. Those would include Mimic from EoE and Poison Use from DoTU.

Or spell reflection from CM.

Forged Fury
2011-05-26, 09:31 AM
Or spell reflection from CM.
Beguilers get Evasion? I don't remember.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-05-26, 09:40 AM
You can get Obtain Familiar (and should get Improved Familiar if you do) to qualify for a Bloodline feat from various issues of Dragon magazine, each of which add an extra spell of each level to your spells known. Your Improved Familiar should be an Imp, Quasit, or Pseudodragon, whichever your alignment is within one step of, though Imp is the best choice IMO.

Versatile Spellcaster (RotD) can give you early access to the next higher level of spells, though some DMs may require you to also have something like Heighten Spell or one of the Bloodline feats for it to work. Go Beguiler 5/ Mindbender 1/ Beguiler 14 and your Advanced Learning spells can be 2nd, 5th, 7th, 9th, and 9th level. In this case my choices would be Ray of Stupidity, Shadow Form, Greater Shadow Conjuration, Superior Invisibility, and Greater Shadow Evocation.

Cog
2011-05-26, 12:10 PM
You can get Obtain Familiar (and should get Improved Familiar if you do) to qualify for a Bloodline feat from various issues of Dragon magazine...
The Compendium version of those feats - the one in book form, and so more likely to be accepted - actually does away with the familiar requirement, making those feats available to any spontaneous arcanist.

Beguilers get Evasion? I don't remember.
No, they do not.

gorfnab
2011-05-26, 01:35 PM
The Beguiler Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2322.0) doesn't list any ACFs.

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-05-27, 02:34 AM
Not that I'm aware of, which is a shame. A common houserule in my sessions is giving the Beguiler Eclectic Learning, the Warmage ACF from PHB2 allowing them to pick up a few spells outside their dedicated schools of magic.

Heh. That was going to be my next question. I was even considering Ultimate Magus for much the same purpose.

Poison Use is a possibility, since I'm looking to trade Trapfinding anyway. I'm actually wondering if the PF version of Trapfinding is a fair trade for the PF version of Bardic Knowledge.

I have no use for Armored Casting, since my other class doesn't have it.

Not really a fan of Surprise Casting, either, but I don't suppose it would kill me to keep it. Aside from ranks in Bluff, I'm just not doing anything that would capitalize on this.

You can get Obtain Familiar (and should get Improved Familiar if you do) to qualify for a Bloodline feat from various issues of Dragon magazine, each of which add an extra spell of each level to your spells known. Your Improved Familiar should be an Imp, Quasit, or Pseudodragon, whichever your alignment is within one step of, though Imp is the best choice IMO.

I have to have a familiar anyway, and Imp's the best bet for my alignment. The Penumbra Bloodline looks like a winner, especially since I'm building to avoid reliance on light, and it gives me some of the spells you're recommending.